Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:09 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 77  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:46 pm 
Heavyweight

A multitude of reasons were given. Arum doesn’t want to make Pacquiao’s next fight pay-per-view in America and there’s a feeling Crawford isn’t enough of a crossover star to warrant the risk.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:49 pm 
Heavyweight

Horn is planning to put Pacquiao on his back.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:47 pm 
Heavyweight

Choosing a lesser opponent in Horn gives PacMan a breathing room for what could be his farewell encounter against the Omaha-born American later this year. A tune-up fight with the WBO No. 2 welterweight contender would be a smart decision while exploiting the untapped boxing market Down Under. 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:09 pm 
Heavyweight

“We don’t have confirmation on that yet because we are still going to discuss that with Bob Arum,” the spokesman quoted Pacquiao as saying in response to the reports.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:16 pm 
Heavyweight

Arum : "We have a bidding for what state in Australia lands the fight. The Middle East is also in the picture.”

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:32 pm 
Heavyweight

Initially, Arum said he wanted to bring Horn to the United States and match him with either Timothy Bradley Jr. or Jessie Vargas, both former welterweight world titleholders he promotes, with the idea that if Horn beat one of them he would then make a fight with Pacquiao later in 2017.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:34 pm 
Heavyweight

But "the Aussies wanted to do the fight right away and the people in the Middle East [in the UAE] find him acceptable as an opponent for Manny, so why crap around with putting him in with a Vargas or Bradley?" Arum said. 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:35 pm 
Heavyweight

"Why? Maybe it will enhance the number of pay-per-view buys in the United States? Maybe it won't. Maybe the fight won't even be a pay-per-view in the United States. Why screw around with bringing him to the United States and fighting Bradley and Vargas? Why? Where? HBO has no money.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:39 pm 
Heavyweight

"I am excited about the prospect of facing a legend in Manny Pacquiao," Horn told ESPN. "I know a lot of people in America don't know too much about me, but after [April 22] they most certainly will."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:40 pm 
Heavyweight

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:34 pm 
Heavyweight

Instead, that’s what Top Rank and Pacquiao hope Horn will accommodate. The Brisbane man is a stepping stone in a four fight plan for Pacquiao and Arum, a “farewell tour” as the promoter described. The first is Horn, before a fight in Russia in July, Europe (likely Scotland’s Ricky Burns) in September and a final December fight — either Mayweather or Crawford.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:47 am 
Heavyweight

Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum said yesterday that there is no truth to reports in the Australian media that Manny Pacquiao has been guaranteed a purse of $5-million for his April 23 fight with Jeff Horn.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:59 pm 
Heavyweight

When Manny Pacquiao's fight with Jeff Horn has not yet been finalized as to venue, purse and other details, Top Rank CEO Bob Arum announced a four-fight plan this year for the fighting senator dubbed as the "farewell tour."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:00 pm 
Heavyweight

The WBO welterweight title fight has been scheduled in April 23 Australian time. Arum would want Pacquiao to fight in Russia or Middle East in July, England in September and Las Vegas, Nevada in November. 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:02 pm 
Heavyweight

The finale would be against Terence Crawford, the WBC/WBO/Ring light welterweight champ. But in between there would be a lot of choices like Kell Brook, Amir Khan or WBA light welterweight champion Ricky Burns or even Vasyl Lomachenko. 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 77  Next