Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:43 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: VILORIA TO FACE MELINDO,
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:27 pm 
Featherweight

Image Image

The World Boxing Organization has directed WBO/WBA flyweight champion Brian Viloria to face No.1 ranked Milan Melindo in a mandatory title defense.

ALA Promotions president Michael Aldeguer told the Manila Standard that it was decided at the recent convention that the winner of the Viloria-Hernan “Tyson” Marquez fight which Viloria won by a rousing 10th round TKO has to face No.1 contender Milan Melindo.

Aldeguer said they would have to “start the negotiations within 30 days and by next week we will most probably send a letter to the camp of Viloria and see what their plans are.”

He said they have “another 90 days to make the fight happen.”

Aldeguer said he doesn’t know what Viloria’s plans are but the fight has been mandated by the WBO.

Aldeguer said that while the clash with “Tyson” Marquez was a hard fight for Viloria “he fought a terrific fight and has developed a lot. He’s got the experience and also the speed and power.”

With talk about a big fight against light flyweight champion Roman “Chocalatito” Gonzalez, there is a feeling that Viloria may give up his WBO title instead of defending it against a fellow Filipino and instead retain his WBA title.

Aldeguer said that at Brian’s age (31) “I’m sure he wants the biggest fight out there.”

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:45 pm 
Middleweight

If I were ALA, I'd try to think again.

with the way brian's fighting nowadays...milan will be in a worlds of pain.

I'd even doubt milan could win over hernan marquez.

If Brian decides to vacate the WBO belt, they should be very grateful for that gesture.

Brian will not get anything from beating Milan.

Don't get me wrong... I love Milan and surely I want him to be a champion also but fighting Brian at this stage would be a big mistake.

try other champs ALA. let's rule the flyweight division.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:50 pm 
Heavyweight

Not gonna happen...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:01 pm 
Middleweight

sondo777 wrote:

If Brian decides to vacate the WBO belt, they should be very grateful for that gesture.

Don't get me wrong... I love Milan and surely I want him to be a champion also but fighting Brian at this stage would be a big mistake.

If Brian vacated WBO, what would people think he is scared and becomes fl0yd Pu$$y or he is a man full of generosity because he gives a Christmas gift(WBO belt) to Milendo? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:15 pm 
Middleweight

boredtodeath wrote:
sondo777 wrote:

If Brian vacated WBO, what would people think he is scared and becomes fl0yd Pu$$y or he is a man full of generosity because he gives a Christmas gift(WBO belt) to Milendo? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

so facing pingo mirand,giovanni segura,omar romero and hernan marquez in succession is your definition of a P-U-SSY?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:36 pm 
Middleweight

Not a good idea, how many people do you think will watch this fight if they stage it in Vegas or California, hmm 50? Ok let's say we stage it here in the Philippines, meaning lower purse for Viloria plus if he beats Melindo do you think they will let him come back to the PI? Ok I'm joking with that but let's be realistic economically unwise, there's plenty of Latinos that Brian can fight or maybe that Japanese WBC Champion. No need for a Filipino vs Filipino there's lots of options for Brian. Go Viloria!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:51 am 
Light Heavyweight

Well,its not economically feasible.given the economic crisis,who will watch the fight?will there be sponsors to give their bucks when they cannot recoup their investments?

Pitting Viloria against Gonzales will invite Nicaraguans/Latinos, Americans and Filipinos to watch..much if it will be in HBO..

do you think HBO will cover a Filipino vs Filipino?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:10 am 
Heavyweight

viloria hasn't accepted the fight yet.

in case he refuses, he'll probably be stripped of the title.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:25 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Viloria will be stripped of his WBO title if he will not face Melindo which is a LOW REWARD HIGH RISK FIGHT...

He should look for more financially attractive fights with Gonzalez or Narvaez which are HIGH REWARDS FIGHTS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:41 pm 
Light Heavyweight

I like Viloria more than any of them filam boxers out there...but Milan is my boy and I dont think Viloria can compete with him...just sayin... 8) :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:33 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Looking for a different perspective, if Viloria decides to vacate the title, he will be giving his fellow Filipino a great chance of winning a belt.

That is not being a ***** as some trying to imply in here.

Look at the good side not the dark side.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:39 pm 
Middleweight

the way i see Viloria is fighting now and judging from Mulan's last fight, i cannot see Milan even competing with Viloria. Viloria is a elite level fighter in this weight class. Melindo never fought anyone of his caliber.

i think Viloria should pursue other opponents, more lucrative offers, but not for the sake of Mulan. who cares if a Filipino is fighting a filipino? Dont pinoys fight each other all the time? (especially outside the ring) :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:13 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Let's get it on!!!
Melindo brings another style very different from Brian's previous opponents. He doesn't have much power but he's slick and can attack even in tight situation but Brian has been battle tested by perhaps the best punchers in his division so i think the confidence is there, plus the improved stamina and of course the punching power which will be a big factor in this fight. I'll go for Brian via TKO in the latter rounds. :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:24 pm 
Heavyweight

The proposed Viloria-Melindo fight is not good for either fighters. First, Melindo is an unknown entity outside of the Philippines, so he will not elevate Viloria's status in the rankings, if Viloria wins. Second, boxing is a business, and an all-Pinoy battle will not earn that much.

And believe me, Melindo should not be fighting Viloria at this stage. He will only get humiliated. Okay, Melindo is good, but Viloria is at his absolute peak and is arguably the best little man in the sport of boxing, outside of Donaire of course. Look at Viloria's resume. He has fought the best (Hernan Marquez, Giovani Segura, Ulises Solis) and knocked them all out. Compare that with Melindo's. Wala.

Let Melindo fight a highly rated Mexican, so he will be exposed to a huge worldwide audience.

Last edited by theDon on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:26 pm 
Welterweight

viloria is not only elite, but he's proven that he's the top dog around there. while I have nothing against melindo getting the shot, I just dont see that happening.