Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:19 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:43 am 
Heavyweight

Basically, Manny Pacquiao is down to two options: (1) health or (2) redemption.

He should give it a lot of thought and weigh his options before making a decision, so he won't regret it in the future.

HEALTH
The way I see it, Manny is bound for the Hall of Fame whether he continues fighting or not. With career-defining wins against names like Miguel Cotto, Ricky Hatton, Marco Antonio Barrera, Erik Morales, and Oscar Dela Hoya in his resume, his legacy is solid and cannot be taken away from him.

Now, if he decides to continue fighting and gets knocked out again, he will forever regret that decision. Blows to the head have a lasting effect. Note that concussions "are more than just pain. Recent research on the pathology of brains, conducted by the Boston University Center, suggests that over time a high level of exposure to intense physical contact can cause permanent brain damage. Potential risks include chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), which can cause depression and suicide in older athletes" (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/f ... index.html).

Boxing is not good for a part-time boxer like Manny Pacquiao, and his last fight against Juan Manuel Marquez is solid proof of that. And I don't see Manny quitting politics, show business, evangelism, etc., anytime soon.

So if Manny wants to have a life free from the ill-effects of boxing, he should retire now while he is relatively healthy. Spend time with his lovely wife and adorable children. Preach the message of God to the masses. Make laws. He cannot do this if he is invalid.

REDEMPTION
For any top athlete, the desire to avenge a loss, especially a humiliating one, is always there. This is perfectly understandable.

Now, if Manny really wants to redeem his name as boxing's top fighter, he should
    1. drop everything else (acting, singing, preaching, etc.) and concentrate on boxing,
    2. listen to his trainer and conditioning coaches,
    3. train early,
    4. keep distractions to a minimum.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:53 am 
Heavyweight

He's still young and can pull the trigger. I guess 3-4 fights more.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:06 am 
Heavyweight

He looked good. More spectacular wins to come.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:13 am 
Heavyweight

Hatton, 34, said it might’ve been Marquez on the canvas if Manny held on. “Can Manny come back?” continued Hatton. “Of course, he can. I don’t see signs of slowing down. But what else does he need to prove? He’s a 10-time world champion in eight divisions, nobody can top that. I saw how heartbroken his wife was when he went down. Maybe, he should consider giving it up while he’s still physically fit and on top of his game. You don’t want to go out with your senses shaken up. It’s his decision. It really depends on his goals, how he feels.”

“Everybody is different,” said Hatton. “Manny isn’t me. I couldn’t tell him what to do. My advice is to think of his family and kids. It’s always a hard decision to quit boxing but Manny should do what will make him and his family happy.”

http://www.philstar.com/sports/2012/12/ ... rquez-size

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:25 am 
Heavyweight

theDon wrote:
Hatton, 34, said it might’ve been Marquez on the canvas if Manny held on. “Can Manny come back?” continued Hatton. “Of course, he can. I don’t see signs of slowing down. But what else does he need to prove? He’s a 10-time world champion in eight divisions, nobody can top that. I saw how heartbroken his wife was when he went down. Maybe, he should consider giving it up while he’s still physically fit and on top of his game. You don’t want to go out with your senses shaken up. It’s his decision. It really depends on his goals, how he feels.”

“Everybody is different,” said Hatton. “Manny isn’t me. I couldn’t tell him what to do. My advice is to think of his family and kids. It’s always a hard decision to quit boxing but Manny should do what will make him and his family happy.”

http://www.philstar.com/sports/2012/12/ ... rquez-size

wtf is hatton talking about? :lol:

he made a comeback himself.
sadly he didn't have it anymore. or simply put, hatton never had it.

his career is defined by a lone win, that is against the old washed up kostya tsyzu.

hatton joins his mates joe calzaghe and lennox lewis as the three most overrated champs in boxing history.

:biglaugh:

it's still up to manny, if he gets a clean bill of health, I say redemption.
otherwise, he can call it a career. (though he renewed until 2014, guess we'll see him inside the ring anytime soon. :lol: )

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:45 am 
Heavyweight

Pacquiao has to fight, it is his source of living. He won't be in politics,
show business, evangelism, etc. without money. Boxing is money.

Without boxing, who is Pacquiao? That would be really interesting.
Now we'll truly see his skills in politics, we'll find out if show business
will ditch or retain him, we'll see if the pastors will still hover over him
like vultures see a carcass. Only the certainty that his family is there
for him through thick and thin--a reassuring thought.

People are fickle. Where's the freakin' parade, after the KO, when he
arrived in the Philippines? Maybe a portion really love Pacquiao but only
because they've been incentivized before. But if Pacquiao can no longer
toss wads of bills to the masses--that would be interesting to find out.

theDon wrote:
Basically, Manny Pacquiao is down to two options: (1) health or (2) redemption.

...Boxing is not good for a part-time boxer like Manny Pacquiao, and his last fight against Juan Manuel Marquez is solid proof of that. And I don't see Manny quitting politics, show business, evangelism, etc., anytime soon.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:57 am 
Cruiserweight

For his kids' sake and while he's still ahead, I say, Health.

Even if Pacquiao chooses Redemption, that's not guaranteed. What's guaranteed is, more blows to the head. He may get his Redemption, alright but at what expense? Most likely his Health and future enjoyable life with his kids/family. Not trying to be a party pooper here but Pacquiao should dial Z Gorres' number.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:10 pm 
Heavyweight

Another fight with Marquez won't guarantee him redemption. But he won't lose anything if he gives it another shot.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:54 am 
Heavyweight

Boxing is a jealous sport, says Uruguay matchmaker Sampson (Picasso) Lewkowicz, because it demands absolute devotion. It’s not supposed to be a part-time job. A fighter who dabbles in some other trade takes a big risk in entering the ring. If he’s not totally focused, something tragic could happen. Boxing is a contact sport where fighters put their lives on the line. It’s a dangerous sport. Fighters have been killed in the ring or died because of boxing-related injuries.

Manny Pacquiao might have gotten away with multi-tasking when he was younger. When you’re in your prime, you feel like you can do anything. But when you’re 34 with 61 fights under your belt in a 17-year career, you’re not the same fighter you were once at 24. You’ve moved up several weight classes. If you were bowling over featherweights 10 years ago, now you realize you can’t do the same thing against welterweights.

http://www.philstar.com/sports/2012-12- ... over-manny

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:11 am 
Heavyweight

There are more fighters out there to seek out for his redemption. He should let Marquez retire with a win. JMM just got lucky in my opinion. Just move on. PacMan can go back to his real weight class like 140 lbs. He should dehydrate a little and fight like 146 lbs or something on fight night.

He is getting lazy thats why. Let them come to him where he is more comfortable. 4 more fights and hope he will fight for the belt before he retires. Fight his last fight in the Phils.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:43 am 
Cruiserweight

10cc wrote: Another fight with Marquez won't guarantee him redemption. But he won't lose anything if he gives it another shot.

Like John McEnroe would say, "You can't be serious." It's not like they're having fun flying a kite. This is boxing. They're beating each other's brain out there.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:54 am 
Featherweight

i am sure that manny can get that redemption!, but through a one hundred percent dedicated fighter.. not a part time boxer.. he should go back to his old training regimen, focus and belief.. fighting juan marquez for the 5th time with same attitude as the past 4 fights, will bring the same result or even worst.. this guy knows how to fight him, how to nullify his perpetual motion, through legal foot stomping, plus angel's magic.. bang!! pacquiao will still go down against an old boxer-marquez-..

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:51 pm 
Heavyweight

8 in 8 wrote:
For his kids' sake and while he's still ahead, I say, Health.

Even if Pacquiao chooses Redemption, that's not guaranteed. What's guaranteed is, more blows to the head. He may get his Redemption, alright but at what expense? Most likely his Health and future enjoyable life with his kids/family. Not trying to be a party pooper here but Pacquiao should dial Z Gorres' number.

I agree 100 percent, bro.