Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:23 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:31 am 
Welterweight

This is the decade when Oscar Dela Hoya, Shane Mosley, Felix Trinidad, Bernard Hopkins, Roy Jones Junior, Antonio Barrera, Erik Morales, Naseem Hamed, Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather are all big names in boxing.

Boxing is dying after 2010 especially you don't know who is the face of boxing nowadays. Mayweather is not the face of boxing, he is semi-inactive, who fought once a year only. No more big names in boxing!

For 2013 onwards, there should be big fights between big name boxers so boxing excitement continues!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:00 pm 
Heavyweight

Not an expert in boxing but there are other decades where
there were big names in boxing. I'll cite only two, the 70s
and 80s. The more knowledgeable can dispute or take over.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_in_the_1970s
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_in_the_1980s

Just look at all the big name boxers in the above pages.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:15 pm 
Cruiserweight

not even close.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:27 am 
Welterweight

Well, I just hope that boxing will bring excitement not mismatches.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:44 am 
Cruiserweight

dodapacway wrote:
This is the decade when Oscar Dela Hoya, Shane Mosley, Felix Trinidad, Bernard Hopkins, Roy Jones Junior, Antonio Barrera, Erik Morales, Naseem Hamed, Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather are all big names in boxing.

Boxing is dying after 2010 especially you don't know who is the face of boxing nowadays. Mayweather is not the face of boxing, he is semi-inactive, who fought once a year only. No more big names in boxing!

For 2013 onwards, there should be big fights between big name boxers so boxing excitement continues!

WRONG!

Not knowing much about the earlier decades in boxing, I have to agree that the '70s and '80s are probably the best decades in boxing. To me they are the most exciting era in boxing; when the best fought the best. The '70s showcased the "Fight of the Century" in Ali v. Frazier in '71, followed by the "Rumble in the Jungle" with Ali v. Foreman in '74, and the fight described by many as one of the most brutal bouts in history, "The Thrilla in Manila" with Ali v. Frazier in '75, which Ali described as, "Closest thing to dyin'." If you think Sergio Martinez is the best that came from Argentina, think again. Carlos Monzon was the best Argentine boxer ever and probably the best middleweight fighter of all time, including Bernard Hopkins but without Sugar Ray Robinson. Some of the best fighters in the '70s continued to "make people happy" into the '80s. For example, the relentless, Roberto Duran dominated his division in the '70s then fought all comers into the '80s. Wilfredo Gomez was a force in the '70s until he ran into Salvador Sanchez in '81. Sadly, Sanchez, who could have become the greatest featherweight fighter of all time, was killed in a car accident. The first Sugar Ray Leonard v. Hitman Hearns fight was held in '81 where Angelo Dundee encouraging Leonard to give it all his best by saying,"You're blowing it, son! You're blowing it!". Where were you when Holmes defended his title against "The Great White Hope," Gerry Cooney in 1982? Oh, and don't forget the '80s also held the most exciting, nonstop, give-and-take first 9 minutes in boxing history simply called, "The War," Hagler v. Hearns, '85. You want exciting fights, go back to the '70s and '80s when the best fought the best. You want snooze fest, then rewind to the past decade (2000-2010) headed by the top hypnotist of them all, Floyd.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:59 pm 
Welterweight

8 in 8 wrote:
dodapacway wrote:

WRONG!

Not knowing much about the earlier decades in boxing, I have to agree that the '70s and '80s are probably the best decades in boxing. To me they are the most exciting era in boxing; when the best fought the best. The '70s showcased the "Fight of the Century" in Ali v. Frazier in '71, followed by the "Rumble in the Jungle" with Ali v. Foreman in '74, and the fight described by many as one of the most brutal bouts in history, "The Thrilla in Manila" with Ali v. Frazier in '75, which Ali described as, "Closest thing to dyin'." If you think Sergio Martinez is the best that came from Argentina, think again. Carlos Monzon was the best Argentine boxer ever and probably the best middleweight fighter of all time, including Bernard Hopkins but without Sugar Ray Robinson. Some of the best fighters in the '70s continued to "make people happy" into the '80s. For example, the relentless, Roberto Duran dominated his division in the '70s then fought all comers into the '80s. Wilfredo Gomez was a force in the '70s until he ran into Salvador Sanchez in '81. Sadly, Sanchez, who could have become the greatest featherweight fighter of all time, was killed in a car accident. The first Sugar Ray Leonard v. Hitman Hearns fight was held in '81 where Angelo Dundee encouraging Leonard to give it all his best by saying,"You're blowing it, son! You're blowing it!". Where were you when Holmes defended his title against "The Great White Hope," Gerry Cooney in 1982? Oh, and don't forget the '80s also held the most exciting, nonstop, give-and-take first 9 minutes in boxing history simply called, "The War," Hagler v. Hearns, '85. You want exciting fights, go back to the '70s and '80s when the best fought the best. You want snooze fest, then rewind to the past decade (2000-2010) headed by the top hypnotist of them all, Floyd.

I respect your opinion, however, there is no WRONG in a opinion especially if the answer depends when the era of boxing you are in. Probably you are older than me for sure to know about the details of 70's.....but those older than you, they will say 1960s or earlier is better. GOT MY POINT po?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:18 am 
Heavyweight

dodapacway wrote:

It's good you didn't include JMM. He'll just be remembered who knocked out Pacquiao the legend who's already at end of his career.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:18 am 
Middleweight

Kid, the names that you've mentioned are no doubt include in the list of great names in boxing. But to say that 2000-2010 is the best decade in boxing history? :shock:

Seriously??? NOT EVEN CLOSE!

When do you know about boxing? When Pacquiao defeated Barrera on their first encounter? :?

Boxing is not about Manny Pacquiao kid!

Please do your assignment and don't be late in your classes tomorrow.

P.S. Don't forget your milk!

I mean it!

-MP

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:39 am 
Heavyweight

lol

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:54 am 
Middleweight

ROFL......go back further in history TS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:05 am 
Lightweight

dodapacway wrote:

TS thinks 2000s was the best era simply because that was pacquiao's era. :lol:

None of the names he mentioned above will even make it to top 10 all-time greats.

i wonder if he ever heard of Robinson, Ali, Armstrong, Leonard, Duran, Fraizer, Hagler, Hearns, Louis, Chavez, Tyson?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:28 am 
Light Heavyweight

I think the TS just forgot to include a few words in his title.

The title should be: " 2000-2010 is the best decade in boxing for the Philippines"

But even for the Philippine boxing only, still some will not agree with the TS.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:44 am 
Cruiserweight

dodapacway wrote: I respect your opinion, however, there is no WRONG in a opinion especially if the answer depends when the era of boxing you are in. Probably you are older than me for sure to know about the details of 70's.....but those older than you, they will say 1960s or earlier is better. GOT MY POINT po?

Point taken. That aside, let me ask you. How did you come up with the conclusion that the decade of 2000-2010 is the best in boxing? I see that you mentioned the following boxers Oscar Dela Hoya, Shane Mosley, Felix Trinidad, Bernard Hopkins, Roy Jones Junior, Antonio Barrera, Erik Morales, Naseem Hamed, Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather. Did you base it mainly on these boxers? Would you have even considered it (decade 2000-2010) had Pacquiao not in it? Could there be some degree of patriotic bias in your choice of this decade?

Also, what made you think that boxing is a dying sport? FYI, "experts" and soothsayers have been saying that since forever, but boxing continues to defy them. Boxing should clear up matters regarding this issue by borrowing a line from Mark Twain, "The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:21 am 
Heavyweight

Give TS a break.
He's probably too young and he only watched Manny Pacquiao.

TS, your title should be this -
' 2000-2010 is the best decade in boxing, IMO" '

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:58 am 
Cruiserweight

kajo wrote:
Give TS a break.
He's probably too young and he only watched Manny Pacquiao.

TS, your title should be this -
' 2000-2010 is the best decade in boxing, IMO" '

I believe you're right. I apologize to dodapacway for being harsh in my response. FWIW, my suggestion is, write a DISCLAIMER in your post so jerks like me can't question it. For example, a good DISCLAIMER is to state before or after your post that your post is solely your own opinion and/or observation. If you include an info, add a reputable link or source. If you're quoting someone, write it verbatim. Do not interpret, add, or delete. Remember Ampong?

So, to dodapacway, don't lose sleep over it. Go ahead, post away.