Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:10 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:49 pm 
Middleweight

i was interested to hear that manny is supposedly back with the catholics. i'm atheist, so i don't care whether he's catholic or born again or whatever.

what i like about him, or one of the reasons why i find him interesting is because he seems a bit fractured. there's manny the boxer, manny the basketball player, manny the preacher man, there's bad boy manny, manny the actor, manny the singer, there's the manny the congressmen blah blah blah... he's almost like herschel walker (another athlete who i find interesting). one minute he's running around in one direction, then the next he's off on just about the opposite tangent.

has anyone else noticed this?

or does everyone have these sort of tendencies? one minute (for example) you're mad about ballet and clear all the library books out on that, do it 12 hours a day or whatever and then in 6 months, you switch to tae kwon do (or whatever) and dine out on that 24/7. and the year after that, you ditch that and become obsessed with horse riding. and you're like that with... lots of areas of your life. one day you're a brunette, next day you get it bleached blonde. for months you were nothing but skirts and heels and then suddenly it's like 'what was i thinking' and you become a complete tomboy.

does everyone else have all different sides to their personality? like there's the personality you have when you're with your mother (for example) and then there's another side where you're looking at some guy and run up the gutter? and so on and so forth.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:17 pm 
Cruiserweight

It's part of his being hyperactive... maybe the cure is another ktfo.
Well, you have to enjoy life while you're young... when you're old, it would be limited for sure.

"If one day speed kills me, don't cry, because I was smiling."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:26 pm 
Heavyweight

i too am changeable, proof are my wives :biglaugh:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:52 pm 
Middleweight

Blazing Speed wrote:
Well, you have to enjoy life while you're young... when you're old, it would be limited for sure.

hyperactive... hmm. maybe? do you think? but wait, there's sometimes when i vary between being so lazy that i can spend the whole day in bed, don't want to go anywhere and then other days, i go running, i do all my training for hours on end or (wait for it) practise balancing on one foot for an hour and then the other side and spend way too long doing physical activity.

or... i can be really good, very low key and well behaved and stay out of any major cities or clubs for... two months or whatever. and then bam. i'll party party party and go out on a 3 day non stop binge, do all sorts of risky things blah blah blah.

i'm just curious if everyone has these sort of problems. i want to be able to define myself. it's hard to be able to define yourself if one month it's the drums, next month it's the piano and then you ditch all that and take up the saxophone at the end of the year. it seems to make the people around me confused.

if i have to write anything like in the 'about me' box on anything, i get totally stumped. does a person's religion define them? where they come from? what they do when the going gets tough? what? one of my sisters said to me 'do you think that ants go around wondering what the purpose of their lives are?' (she gets crabby during these sorts of conversations)

but yeah, i'm curious. do other people go around thinking 'well, i don't like how i handled that. i have to change/fix things' or are they just too busy (but what about insomnia?)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:49 pm 
Cruiserweight

melinda wrote:
Blazing Speed wrote:

hyperactive... hmm. maybe? do you think? but wait, there's sometimes when i vary between being so lazy that i can spend the whole day in bed, don't want to go anywhere and then other days, i go running, i do all my training for hours on end or (wait for it) practise balancing on one foot for an hour and then the other side and spend way too long doing physical activity.

or... i can be really good, very low key and well behaved and stay out of any major cities or clubs for... two months or whatever. and then bam. i'll party party party and go out on a 3 day non stop binge, do all sorts of risky things blah blah blah.

i'm just curious if everyone has these sort of problems. i want to be able to define myself. it's hard to be able to define yourself if one month it's the drums, next month it's the piano and then you ditch all that and take up the saxophone at the end of the year. it seems to make the people around me confused.

if i have to write anything like in the 'about me' box on anything, i get totally stumped. does a person's religion define them? where they come from? what they do when the going gets tough? what? one of my sisters said to me 'do you think that ants go around wondering what the purpose of their lives are?' (she gets crabby during these sorts of conversations)

but yeah, i'm curious. do other people go around thinking 'well, i don't like how i handled that. i have to change/fix things' or are they just too busy (but what about insomnia?)

Are serious with that mam?
Oh well, so yeah, this may perhaps be one of the reasons why there is so called adrenalin rush, or effects of shooting up of testosterone levels was popular. But I think it may not be applicable to the ladies exactly the same as men, since I am a man and you’re a woman, I really dunno.
I want to impress you that I am not a professional adviser, psychiatrist, or a doctor. I am just a common bum, lol, I mean an open-minded guy who can use some logic and common sense.
Hmm, it may be the case of mood swing/disorders or Bipolar disorder… imo.
I read this somewhere, "I have recently finished a course of cognitive behavior therapy, she was culturally sensitive and understanding and because I let loose so much that I had held back for years, all of a sudden I have no need to jump into food and comfort eat. Almost two years ago I went for counselling to deal with sexual abuse as a teenager. The quality of my life has improved. As for years I was treated with anti-depressants that didn't work and now I am under albeit temporarily a very good Psychiatrist."
A balanced life does help... meaning going to sleep and waking at a regular time, eating good healthy diet and exercise is excellent. But i guess you're already doing that right.
Please consult real experts... it can do you harm one way or another.
I hope this helps.

"If one day speed kills me, don't cry, because I was smiling."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:43 am 
Cruiserweight

Maybe these athletes took a whole lot of shots in the head that's why they seem to bounce off stuff pretty easy. :peace:

I don't know about Walker, but let me tell you majority of Filipino men are excellent multi-tasker. This trait is embedded in our DNA. Maybe the dude who coined the word: "organized chaos" was referring to Filipinos. Manny Pacquiao is just the living showcase of this character-trait.
The TS called it being "fractured" but I beg to disagree. It is who we are!

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut!!Will Rogers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:50 am 
Middleweight

Normal people have many personalities. What more from a guy who's been taking head beatings for many years as his job?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:16 am 
Middleweight

Blazing Speed wrote:
melinda wrote:
Blazing Speed wrote:

Are serious with that mam?
Oh well, so yeah, this may perhaps be one of the reasons why there is so called adrenalin rush, or effects of shooting up of testosterone levels was popular. But I think it may not be applicable to the ladies exactly the same as men, since I am a man and you’re a woman, I really dunno.
I want to impress you that I am not a professional adviser, psychiatrist, or a doctor. I am just a common bum, lol, I mean an open-minded guy who can use some logic and common sense.
Hmm, it may be the case of mood swing/disorders or Bipolar disorder… imo.
I read this somewhere, "I have recently finished a course of cognitive behavior therapy, she was culturally sensitive and understanding and because I let loose so much that I had held back for years, all of a sudden I have no need to jump into food and comfort eat. Almost two years ago I went for counselling to deal with sexual abuse as a teenager. The quality of my life has improved. As for years I was treated with anti-depressants that didn't work and now I am under albeit temporarily a very good Psychiatrist."
A balanced life does help... meaning going to sleep and waking at a regular time, eating good healthy diet and exercise is excellent. But i guess you're already doing that right.
Please consult real experts... it can do you harm one way or another.
I hope this helps.

thanks! :D i don't want experts (i've seen all the experts and their lives are more tangled than mine). i want real people's opinions.

and yes, you have helped. i agree with you about the healthy diet, sleep and exercise. the guy who i understood me the best was actually my boxing trainer. he was totally better than any shrink i'd seen. and he used to tell me 'if you ever start to think about things too much etc etc, just go for a run'. and that was really good advice. he was so cool. um. except after my brother died in late december last year (i have bad dreams about him. i wanted to go and see him at the morgue and the rest of my family told me not to, but i thought if i held his hand and hug him that i could warm him up and make him alive again but he was frozen cold). yeah so my brother died, i sent my trainer a text about it (they knew each other from childhood) and a week later, my trainer killed himself. it was really weird. i didn't know anything was even bothering him at all. he seemed so chirpy and stuff.

but my brother was a lot like me in that he'd run around and get really obsessed about some new sport and all that. someone at his funeral said to me that they were confused about him slightly because he was a 'real dichotomy'.

it's not always a problem. sometimes it's good to be interested in different things and live and breathe whatever sport/art it is at the time for a while. there are so many things to learn, it is easy to get pulled into different directions. but thanks for your advice, it sounds very sensible :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:23 am 
Middleweight

MrBoxOffice wrote:
Maybe these athletes took a whole lot of shots in the head that's why they seem to bounce off stuff pretty easy. :peace:

I don't know about Walker, but let me tell you majority of Filipino men are excellent multi-tasker. This trait is embedded in our DNA. Maybe the dude who coined the word: "organized chaos" was referring to Filipinos. Manny Pacquiao is just the living showcase of this character-trait.

hmm. that's interesting. so you don't see it as being a problem. 'organised chaos'... really? what's 'TS'? i find bruce lee interesting (he seemed to be another multi-tasker) and he said something like 'what the h . you are what you are'. so... what about filipino women? are they like that too? or just the guys?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:28 am 
Middleweight

Llaneta wrote:
Normal people have many personalities. What more from a guy who's been taking head beatings for many years as his job?

they do? everyone has many different sides? i've certainly known other people (usually guys) who have quite a few different shades to their personality, but they've all ended up kind of... in a bad way, so i thought it must have been that that contributed to their... problems. maybe not?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:47 pm 
Middleweight

filipino have so many excuse.. because of the rosary thats why manny lose, because of the religion thats why he lose 2 consecutive blah blah blah...just accept that your idol is fading away..

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:06 am 
Cruiserweight

melinda wrote:
MrBoxOffice wrote:

hmm. that's interesting. so you don't see it as being a problem. 'organised chaos'... really? what's 'TS'? i find bruce lee interesting (he seemed to be another multi-tasker) and he said something like 'what the h . you are what you are'. so... what about filipino women? are they like that too? or just the guys?

TS=Thread Starter, and that's you. ;)
I am trying my best for this not to be misconstrued as the "Men are from Mars and Women from Venus" type of thing.
But there are 2 different angles to multi-tasking.
Filipina women actually think they multi-task: they cook, clean, laundry, re-arrange the house, clean, re-arrange the house, cook and re-arrange the house again... For us men, that is not multi-tasking, that's being fickle minded.
You may ask what's the difference?
Doing different task at the same time is multi-tasking.
Example: watch TV while drinking beer while calling friends while finishing work while surfing the internet.
Similar to Manny Pacquiao being a boxer, politician, actor, singer, etc. at the same time.
Doing different tasks one at a time for some reason or no reason at all: fickle-mindedness.
Example: playing the piano for a week then switch to guitar, then drums, etc.
Both traits has pros and cons. They are actually good for a person who is hyperactive (maybe undiagnosed or borderline ADHD).
It will only become a problem when your qualms and caprices will control you instead of you control them.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut!!Will Rogers