Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:10 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:33 pm 
Middleweight

Nothing can stop Manny from his come back and so Arum's "rehabilitation" program started by pitting Rios. It's a wise choice, I would do the same if I'm a promoter. However, knowing Manny's habbit of opening up while throwing punches and making feigns Rios could still sneak in strong punches that could repeat the fate that Manny suffered from Marquez. It's that one punch that could spell another lullaby for Manny.

Of course Manny will be careful this time and try to do things right. It's certain but could he learn from his mistakes? Based from his previous losses he can. However of all those losses it was his recent loss to Marquez that is too humiliating. Personally, I don't want Manny to engage in boxing again for physical and mental health reason. But he made his choice. I'm just hoping he'll fight more like any other vintage fighters who defies age by being clever and tricky like hopkins, Marquez, and Floyd. Most importantly I hope he could eradicate all his distractions.

Good luck Manny...

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:36 pm 
Lightweight

People criticize Manny for fighting Rios instead of Alvarado but they don't know that Rios is a very dangerous opponent he has the power and most importantly, heart. Rios can knock him out if he come unprepared physically and mentally.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:39 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Both of them came from a loss... So this will really be interesting, who will get redemption... :)

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:43 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Manny must start his traing NOW. or else

:biglaugh:

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:44 pm 
Light Heavyweight

pilipinopipino wrote:

Or else he will be sleeping again... And this time for good... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:07 pm 
Light Heavyweight

What makes it a wise choice, business wise, is its being a dangerous fight for him.

On the other hand, it is not a wise choice because this fight should be a comeback fight for Manny which should ensure a high probability of Manny winning the fight by fighting a less dangerous opponent. We don't want to see him going to the canvas again, do we?

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:27 pm 
Light Heavyweight

pilipinopipino wrote:

That's a good piece of advice....

me too.. i want to paste this picture inside
Manny's locker to remind him....that this should not happen again!

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:51 pm 
Welterweight

This is not an easy fight. Do you guys remember when he fought Cotto and Margarito? Manny could hardly stand up doing interviews. Someone was close to him and he was leaning the whole time after the Margarito fight. Those type of fighters does a lot of damage to their foes and thats why Mayweather never fought margarito.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:22 pm 
Light Heavyweight

pranzer wrote:
What makes it a wise choice, business wise, is its being a dangerous fight for him.

On the other hand, it is not a wise choice because this fight should be a comeback fight for Manny which should ensure a high probability of Manny winning the fight by fighting a less dangerous opponent. We don't want to see him going to the canvas again, do we?

If Floyd lose a fight you can expect him fight Judah again for his come back fight.....Pacquiao is different level of a fighter then Floyd, we are talking about great boxer here, so Rios is "ok" for Pacquiao's comeback fight.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:38 pm 
Light Heavyweight

krayz211 wrote:
pranzer wrote:

If Floyd lose a fight you can expect him fight Judah again for his come back fight.....Pacquiao is different level of a fighter then Floyd, we are talking about great boxer here, so Rios is "ok" for Pacquiao's comeback fight.

So I see Floyd is not great and Manny Pacquiao is.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:38 pm 
Heavyweight

Rios is a very dangerous fighter when you fight him the way he fights, like slugging and brawling.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:44 pm 
Heavyweight

Everyone is dangerous ... so long as fear doesn't overcome them - like Clottey or Mosley. Margarito had no fear, and almost flattened Pacman with one shot to the side, but of course Pacman was faster.

Rios vs Pacman would be like Margarito vs Pacman, IMHO. Rios doesn't have the defense of Cotto, so he will either be charging or covering up. I think he will go forward, so it's gonna be great ! I really expect a KO from Pacman, assuming Pacman is his old self of course.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:48 pm 
Heavyweight

rios is tailor made for pac but he has youth and hunger on his side.

not a devastating puncher but his work rate is enormous.

dangerous fight for pac no question

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:54 pm 
Heavyweight

hmm a very humble rios we are seeing at this point.
:lol:

Rios was inside of the MGM Grand for Pacquiao’s loss and was asked to give his personal take of the action.

“Manny Pacquiao fought the best counterpuncher in the business and they fought three times before that,” stated Rios. “Marquez knew what would do [well] against him. Marquez knew him very well and studied him and he knew that right hand would get him. That’s what happened. He just countered and got him with the right hand.”

Don’t expect any overconfidence to be coming from Rios, however, as he insists that Pacquiao will know how to regroup accordingly for their battle.

“Honestly, no, because he’s a veteran,” Rios claimed. “He knows what to do. He’s been in this position before. Like I said, he just got caught by a great counter-puncher, and you know, you can’t just go off of one judgment of him getting knocked out and that he’s not the same no more. A lot of fighters get dropped or knocked out and they come back and they look better with the better performance.

“Maybe Manny Pacquiao needed time off and look, it might do him good,” Rios added. “I know I’ll be ready 100% and I’m just very glad and thanks to him and his people for selecting me as an opponent.”

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:24 am 
Light Heavyweight

pranzer wrote:
krayz211 wrote:
pranzer wrote:

So I see Floyd is not great and Manny Pacquiao is.

You nailed it kuya!

IMHO I think Floyd is an ok fighter, a very good boxer just not great as what the American media would say in front of your face even if its clear as daylight he is not. Let's add the few gullible FILIPINO WRITERS who also buys the "Floyd" they were trying to portray to people. Even Floyd himself, deep down he knows he's not great coz if he do you wont here anyone saying he's a ducker.Theres obvious reason why he choose his opponents very carefully.
Floyd denied Manny's ticket to top 3 all time greats by ducking him and I hate him for doing that! :verymad: Imagine if this guy had the balls to fight Manny back in '10? you know what I mean?..