Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:30 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:13 pm 
Middleweight

ok, so someone posted this comment to a thread i started about wondering why it is that manny is trending at number 1 on yahoo:

"people STILL want to see that KTFO of pacquiao............. it was an AWESOME face FLATTENING experience for pac........

if you look up lists of the most devastating ko's in boxing history........... marquez's KTFO of pac is way more BRUTAL than MOST ko's in boxing HISTORY.............. and i mean ALL of boxing's history..........

most ko victims are NOT put into COMATOSE state..... almost DEAD........ like pacquiao was...........
almost NO other ko victim broke his fall with his FACE......... this was trully ENTERTAINING.......

after posting this post i'm gonna add to that internet "trending"...... and watch that KTFO several times again............ LOL.....[/quote]"

me: "it was 'entertaining'? and you're going to watch it 'several times again'? why?"

same dude ('against the grain') replied:

"the brutallity of the sport is what attracts people now.....

people are no longer entertained by the "sweet science" anymore..... they want blood and guts, now............

thats just how it is.... really........
I know you've been around this forum for a while now (can't help but notice your pic).... you should know the majority here want KO's not hit and not get hit type fights......

I happen to like both...... I trully admire the talent of those that have mastered the art of boxing, but I can't lie and I won't say I don't like the brutallity of the sport...... because, just like the next person I also like the KO's that go along with the sport...... and marquez's KTFO of pacquiao is UP there with the BEST of the BEST...... EVER...............[/quote]"

my thoughts:
i thought it (manny's knockout) was really upsetting. i was upset. i did not find manny's knockout at all entertaining. i was very worried about him. and yeah, i can see some people criticize boxers (such as floyd) for not standing there and letting themselves get hit in the face so the crowd can be 'entertained'. why don't these fans switch to ufc if they like all that?

isn't part of boxing having quick reflexes and dodging a punch - if you can, that is. some don't have quick enough reflexes. i know someone who does stuff like look up car accident scenes. is that what a boxing crowd is like? would they be pleased to be able to tell everyone if they were at a match where a fighter got killed? do people want to see someone get seriously hurt? does that mean we're all a bunch of closet sadists?

yet... i saw shane mosely with a t shirt on in favour of animal rights that said 'i chose to fight. dogs don't. dog fights are for cowards'

so... does that mean that boxers (and i've wondered this for... some time) have to have a masochistic side to their personality?

i've been told by quite a few people that they believe i really am masochistic. you wouldn't believe what i did to toughen my knuckles ^^ and i like bruising from fighting or whatever -on me, i mean. is that weird? i remember i was SO pleased when i was 4 and one of my brothers broke my arm and i had to have it in a sling for weeks etc. i was so young but i remember when my father tried to take it off my sling, i was not happy. i don't bruise easily (which... annoys me), but when i have, i've taken pictures and stuff of my black eye and felt really satisfied.

i have a couple of tattoos and piercings. i would not have wanted them with anaesthetic. it's part of it. for me. or is it just me? if they offered local anaesthetic for tattoos, would everyone else just say 'yeah sure'. am i one of the minority who would refuse anaesthetic for piercings/tattoos?

and i noticed that justin bieber (and i know his name is taboo in the philippines but i can't help it - that might be sadistic nature coming through now) recently did this this photo shoot where he was all beaten up:

so... back to wondering if boxers are masochistic to some degree. what do other people think about this?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:16 pm 
Heavyweight

those posts are familiar. with all these "......" :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:26 pm 
Middleweight

genetophile wrote:
those posts are familiar. with all these "......" :lol:

no, i didn't do all the really long da-da-da-da-da's [make a machine gun noise when you do it, it's fun :D ] (.....) the other dude who i was quoting did. well ok, i did too, but he did more.

but hey, on the upside? yay! my images actually appeared as images! every other time they're there's awful little links that nooooobody is going to bother clicking on :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:00 am 
Cruiserweight

I think men generally have the beast (the y in the xy chromosome) nature in them. these (the y's) are ingrained in our nature. hence there are those who like brutality, rape women. murder, rough kinky sex etc. when mike tyson fights its the y that predominatly prevails but the x in him can come out too (e.g. when he thought he was losing to holyfield and bit his ear. that was very x). When Pacman fights, its the y that prevails although (x came out when he pitied margarito and asked ref to stop the fight). im sure there are those who fights y all the way. unfortunately for floyd chromosome xx prevails many times :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:17 am 
Heavyweight

Talk about racial stereotyping or simply some pachaters still having an orgasms with that 6rd ktfo.

To be the one so dog preferred."
- Robert Frost

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:35 am 
Cruiserweight

different strokes for different folks, precisely applies...

"If one day speed kills me, don't cry, because I was smiling."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:20 pm 
Middleweight

nonongsanmateo wrote:
I think men generally have the beast (the y in the xy chromosome) nature in them. these (the y's) are ingrained in our nature. hence there are those who like brutality, rape women. murder, rough kinky sex etc. when mike tyson fights its the y that predominatly prevails but the x in him can come out too (e.g. when he thought he was losing to holyfield and bit his ear. that was very x). When Pacman fights, its the y that prevails although (x came out when he pitied margarito and asked ref to stop the fight). im sure there are those who fights y all the way. unfortunately for floyd chromosome xx prevails many times :lol:

yeah, i don't have any confusion about the 'y chromosome' side of things. i get that, as in, i understand that part. a lot of the dudes i've associated with in private life (i don't mean sexually, i mean guys that i get along with) are sort of... well, the type of guys who get into bar fights or are up for assault and whatever else. but these same guys don't seem to be drawn to boxing. they might watch it and they certainly like it when someone gets ko'ed, but i've asked these dudes if they've considered doing it. i think the general response is usually something like 'pfft! do i LOOK like an effing idi0t?' - stuff along those lines and i get this look like i'm asking some stupid question or something.

and hey, what about the rope-a-dope thing? i'm a massive ali fan. love the guy. always have. however... he deliberately took a lot of smacks in that fight (and also again later in his career when he couldn't move as fast as he once could). ali strikes me as a fairly 'y' sorta guy.

also, manny pacquiao apparently used that tactic against cotto:

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showt ... p?t=329058

which brought out comments like 'I couldn't believe Manny could stand there and willingly get pounded on by Cotto'. i don't know as much about manny as i do about ali, but manny seems like a fairly 'y' sorta dude too.

oh, that's right! and then there's tattoos etc. i don't know how many people here have tattoos (or piercings, whatever). for those who do, i don't see it as an 'xx' chromosome thing to get a tattoo without anaesthetic. would you guys get tattooed or pierced or whatever with anaesthetic, if it was offered?

and as for the kinky sex you mentioned being a 'y' chromosome thing. hmm. it really... really surprises me how many dudes who are these complete alpha types - CEOs yelling at their employees, body builders, whatever - guys who are really forceful, alpha, leader types who are into S&M (and i don't just mean the sadistic side) or even pay chicks to beat the crap out of them and treat them like dirt. what is up with that?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:36 pm 
Middleweight

Blitzky22 wrote:
Talk about racial stereotyping or simply some pachaters still having an orgasms with that 6rd ktfo.

hi :D was it me who seemed to racially stereotype or are you talking about the dude who i quoted as saying he found paccy's ko 'very entertaining'?

but seriously, every boxer knows that they're going to get the crap beat out of them. in training, they get sparring partners to whale on them. they tell them to go nuts. the other day, i saw this dude who's a fb friend of mine getting someone to bash his stomach with a baseball bat. can you imagine many women lining up and saying 'hit me with a baseball bat as hard as you can, so i can toughen up my abs?' i can't.

and hey, if it's only for money, then that's pretty close to the whole compromising their bodies for money type thing. the majority of dudes wouldn't actually do it themselves, but they don't mind watching it. so, the ones who do actually do it - intentionally get into a profession where they're going to get beaten up - what is that? i find it interesting. most of the boxers who i've seen interviewed are really bright guys, too. it's not like they're not dumb thugs. thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:23 pm 
Heavyweight

melinda wrote:
Blitzky22 wrote:

hi :D was it me who seemed to racially stereotype or are you talking about the dude who i quoted as saying he found paccy's ko 'very entertaining'?
but seriously, every boxer knows that they're going to get the crap beat out of them. in training, they get sparring partners to whale on them. they tell them to go nuts. the other day, i saw this dude who's a fb friend of mine getting someone to bash his stomach with a baseball bat. can you imagine many women lining up and saying 'hit me with a baseball bat as hard as you can, so i can toughen up my abs?' i can't.

and hey, if it's only for money, then that's pretty close to the whole compromising their bodies for money type thing. the majority of dudes wouldn't actually do it themselves, but they don't mind watching it. so, the ones who do actually do it - intentionally get into a profession where they're going to get beaten up - what is that? i find it interesting. most of the boxers who i've seen interviewed are really bright guys, too. it's not like they're not dumb thugs. thoughts?

that dude.. don't mess with that dude, he got a tunnel vision.

To be the one so dog preferred."
- Robert Frost

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:35 pm 
Middleweight

Blitzky22 wrote:
melinda wrote:
Blitzky22 wrote:

that dude.. don't mess with that dude, he got a tunnel vision.

yu-ha... and i'm trying not to be all... 'judgey' (or possibly impolite if he was standing in front of me and saying that) cos ok, you go to a boxing match - what do you expect - rainbows and ice-cream? and maybe this particular dude is just saying what some other people feel but haven't been upfront about it and yada yada. but yeah - kind of guy you meet in a bar and think 'hmm'