Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:00 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 76  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:29 pm 
Heavyweight

Jeff Horn camp confident Aussie can upstage Manny Pacquiao if fight ever eventuates

JEFF Horn’s trainer says he already has the blueprint to beat Manny Pacquiao should a blockbuster fight with the Filipino legend eventuate next year.

Rising Australian welterweight Horn scored the biggest and most significant win of his burgeoning career on Saturday night, stopping South African veteran Ali Funeka by technical knockout in the sixth round of their clash at Auckland’s Vector Arena.

With Pacquiao’s promoter Bob Arum watching from ringside and millions around the world watching on TV, it was a victory that will open lucrative doors for Horn.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:33 pm 
Heavyweight

Jeff Horn proved too strong for Ali Funeka in Auckland.

Next up is a likely battle with either Jessie Vargas or Timothy Bradley, two other world-class fighters in Arum’s Top Rank stable, in the US early next year.

Win that — which Horn’s trainer Glenn Rushton is supremely confident he will — and a meeting with Pacquiao is very much on the cards.

“Based on what Bob Arum’s saying, I’m taking Bob Arum at his word and if Bob Arum is right, next up it’s Vargas or Bradley, and bring it on,” Rushton said.

“We’ll take whichever one we get. That puts him on the map and puts him in line for Pacquiao, and I want Pacquiao before he retires.

“To be a legend, you’ve got to beat a legend, and I want Jeff to beat a legend.

“The only legend left now that Floyd Mayweather’s gone is Pacquiao. I know how to beat Pacquiao. We can beat him.”

The win takes Horn’s professional record to 16-0-1 and though he clearly dictated terms against the lanky Funeka, there was a scare late in the third round when the referee ruled a controversial knockdown.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:00 pm 
Heavyweight

Manny Pacquiao congratulates Ray Beltran on Twitter:

@mannypacquiao

Congrats to my long time friend @Beltranboxing on the great performance tonight!

8:15 PM - 10 Dec 2016

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:41 pm 
Heavyweight

Manny Pacquiao Twitter

@mannypacquiao

No matter how busy your holiday season may be, you can rest your heart in knowing that God remains in control.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:43 am 
Heavyweight

Crawford Reiterates He Wants Pacquiao; Says Spence Will Move Up

By Keith Idec

The obligatory multimillion-dollar question was posed to Terence Crawford yet again after another impressive victory Saturday night.

Crawford has wanted to fight Manny Pacquiao for more than a year, but reiterated to HBO’s Max Kellerman that landing the Pacquiao fight remains out of his hands.

- See more at:

http://www.boxingscene.com/crawford-rei ... 1QBSu.dpuf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:56 am 
Heavyweight

Freddie Roach's pick for Pacquiao foe? Canelo Alvarez

Dennis Gasgonia, ABS-CBN News

MANILA, Philippines — Freddie Roach thinks there’s a good chance Manny Pacquiao will fight Terence Crawford in 2017.

This was after Vasyl Lomachencko, Bob Arum's favored opponent for Pacquiao, asked for a full year to prepare himself against the Filipino champion.

"Crawford has the better chance [over Lomachenko to get the fight]. Lomachenko said that he wants to fight at 130 and wants one year to get ready for the fight. I said, 'You want a whole year to get ready for the fight?' " Roach said on BoxingScene.com.

"I think that’s a very nice way of saying you don’t want the fight. That's impossible." 

Roach acknowledges that Crawford, who battles John Molina this weekend for two super lightweight belts, will be a tough match for Pacquiao because he fights just like Floyd Mayweather Jr.

"He's a dangerous guy. That could be our next fight," Roach said.

"If we don’t get a rematch with Mayweather and so forth, then that's a fight we may need to take because we still want to be on top of the game. We can't just fight stiffs. We have to fight the best guys out there."

But Roach said he'd prefer that Pacquiao square off with Mexican middleweight Canelo Alvarez. 

Yup, a natural middleweight fighter.

Roach said he doesn't see the size disparity between Pacquiao and Alvarez being an issue. Pacquiao stands 5-foot-6 1/2, while Alvarez is 5-foot-9.

"I like Alvarez a little bit better [for Pacquiao], but the thing is can I put a cap on how much he gains after the weigh-in? That’s the key," Roach said.

"The IBF rule [regarding their fight day rehydration clause], 10 pounds, something like that."

Roach said they will demand a catch weight if Alvarez is interested.

"I'd rather have the fight at 147 of course, but we’d have to do a catch weight," he said.

"I think that’s the issue that's keeping that fight from not happening right away. I'm sure that Golden Boy and Top Rank would both love to have that fight, because I think it's a very competitive fight."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:37 pm 
Heavyweight

School teacher Jeff Horn may be Pacquiao's final opponent, says Arum

Jeff Horn, an unbeaten welterweight from Australia, could fight Manny Pacquiao at the end of 2017

Ryan Songalia

@ryansongalia

Published 11:41 AM, December 12, 2016

Updated 11:41 AM, December 12, 2016

ON DECK. Jeff Horn, an unbeaten welterweight from Australia, is being eyed to face Manny Pacquiao at the end of 2017. Photo from Horn's Facebook

MANILA, Philippines - Australian fighter Jeff Horn will be Manny Pacquiao’s final opponent at the end of 2017.

So says Pacquiao’s promoter Bob Arum after “The Hornet” scored a sixth round knockout against former world title challenger Ali Funeka in Auckland, New Zealand over the weekend. Arum was in town to co-promote the WBO heavyweight title fight between Joseph Parker and Andy Ruiz Jr with Horn’s promoter Duco Events, but also had his eye on the unbeaten Horn, a 2012 Olympian from Brisbane who possesses a school teaching degree.

Arum, according to News.com.au, wants to showcase Horn (16-0-1, 11 knockouts) in the United States before having him face 'The Fighting Senator' Pacquiao at the end of 2017 in what would be, supposedly, the Filipino legend’s final boxing match.

Horn, who holds a Bachelor of Education degree from Griffith University, made it to the light welterweight quarterfinals of the 2012 London Olympic Games.

http://www.rappler.com/sports/by-sport/ ... 2017-fight

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:28 pm 
Heavyweight

The first boxer to KO Manny Pacquiao

Rustico Torrecampo
W15 L8 D6 8WKOs 5 LKOs

bouts: 2
rounds: 155
KOs: 28%
birth name: Escolastico P. Torrecampo Jr.
born: 1972-08-01

debut: 1993-03-25
division: flyweight
stance: orthodox
height: 5′ 2″   /   157cm

residence: Manila, Metro Manila, Philippines

birth place: Davao City, Davao del Sur,Philippines

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:20 pm 
Heavyweight

Rustico Torrecampo 
W15 L8 D6 8WKOs 5 LKOs

bouts: 29
rounds: 155
KOs: 28%
birth name: Escolastico P. Torrecampo Jr.
born: 1972-08-01

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:01 pm 
Heavyweight

Preparations for Potential Pacquiao Visit in Works

Cambodia is making preparations to welcome renowned Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao, who may make his first visit to the country in the coming days alongside his country’s president, Rodrigo Duterte, who is set to arrive on Tuesday.

After Prime Minister Hun Sen suggested in a speech on Friday that the boxer may be joining the official visit, the Foreign Affairs Ministry instructed the National Olympic Committee of Cambodia to begin preparations for a welcoming ceremony, according to Vath Chamroeun, the committee’s secretary-general.

https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/prep ... ks-121845/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:15 pm 
Heavyweight

Crawford trainer dismisses Pacquiao as 'limited'

Posted on Tuesday Dec 13th

By Dino Maragay

MANILA, Philippines – While Terence Crawford’s trainer acknowledges Manny Pacquiao as a “great fighter,” he firmly believes the Filipino icon has limits.

And he is confident that Crawford can exploit those limits.

“Manny is a great fighter but he is limited.  Manny is a machine and to beat him you need to offset him,” Brian McIntyre, Crawford’s cornerman, said recently.

The 29-year-old Crawford successfully defended his WBC and WBO super lightweight titles by outclassing John Molina over the weekend, stopping his foe in the eighth round of a lopsided match.

He afterwards said he likes to fight Pacquiao.

But the decision ultimately depends on Pacquiao, who recently defeated Jessie Vargas to annex the WBO welterweight championship.

Nevertheless, it is a bout McIntyre believes is very winnable for his prized ward, one of the top rising stars in the sport.

The cornerman is optimistic that Crawford can neutralize Pacquiao’s speed and power, as several fighters have done before.

Erik Morales, Juan Manuel Marquez and most recently Floyd Mayweather Jr. have bested Pacquiao using effective boxing and counterpunching.

McIntyre insists Crawford can also pull off the same.

“Once an envelope gets stuck in a sorter it jams.  That’s what Terence will do to Manny.  Offset him.  Because once Manny is offset, he cannot adapt,” he said.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:46 pm 
Heavyweight

Light welterweight
Pacquiao vs. Hatton

On May 2, 2009, Pacquiao fought at light welterweight, or super lightweight, division for the first time against Ricky Hatton at the MGM Grand Las Vegas, in a fight billed as "The Battle of the East and West." Pacquiao won the bout via knockout to claim Hatton'sIBO, The Ring and lineal light welterweight titles. In doing so, Pacquiao became the second man in boxing history to become a six-division world champion, a fighter who won world titles in six different weight divisions and the first man ever to win lineal world titles in four different weight classes.

The fight was originally placed in jeopardy due to disputes with both camps over the fight purse money.[84] Eventually, the money issue was settled and the fight went on as scheduled. HBO aired the contest.

Pacquiao started the fight strong, knocking down Hatton twice in the first round.[86] A somewhat shaken Hatton beat the count, only to be saved by the bell seconds later. In the second round, Hatton seemed to have recovered, as he stalked Pacquiao for most of the round. However, with less than ten seconds remaining in the second round, Hatton was knocked out cold by a sharp left hook, prompting the referee to award Pacquiao the win by knockout (at 2:59 of the round).

The knockout won him the The Ring Magazine "Knockout of the Year" for 2009.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:08 pm 
Heavyweight

Return to welterweight
Pacquiao vs. Cotto

On November 14, 2009, Pacquiao defeatedMiguel Cotto via technical knockout in the twelfth round at the MGM Grand Las Vegas in a fight billed as "Firepower." Although the bout was sanctioned as a world title fight in the welterweight division, where the weight limit is 147 pounds, Cotto agreed to fight at acatchweight of 145 pounds.

Pacquiao dominated the fight, knocking Cotto down in round three and round four, before the referee stopped the fight at 0:55 of round twelve.  With this victory, Pacquiao took the WBO Welterweight title, was awarded the WBO Super Championship title and became the first seven-division world champion, the first fighter in boxing history to win world titles in seven different weight divisions. Pacquiao also won the first and special WBC Diamond Championship belt.  This belt was created as an honorary championship exclusively to award the winner of a historic fight between two high-profile boxers. After the fight, promoter Bob Arum stated "Pacquiao is the greatest boxer I've ever seen, and I've seen them all, including Ali, Haglerand Sugar Ray Leonard." Miguel Cotto said in a post fight interview: "Miguel Cotto comes to boxing to fight the biggest names, and Manny is one of the best boxers we have of all time."

The fight generated 1.25 million buys and $70 million in domestic pay-per-view revenue, making it the most watched boxing event of 2009.  Pacquiao earned around $22 million for his part in the fight, whilst Cotto earned around $12 million.[94] Pacquiao–Cotto also generated a live gate of $8,847,550 from an official crowd of 15,930.

On November 20, 2009, in a simple rites at the Quirino Grandstand, President Macapagal-Arroyo conferred Pacquiao the Order of Sikatuna with the rank of Datu (Grand Cross) with Gold distinction (Katangiang Ginto) which usually bestowed to foreign diplomats and heads of state. It was awarded to Pacquiao for winning his historical seventh weight division world title.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:22 pm 
Heavyweight

Negotiations with Floyd Mayweather

Following the victory against Cotto, there was much public demand for a fight between the seven-division world champion Manny Pacquiao (the number-one pound-for-pound boxer) and the five-division world champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. (the number-two and former number-one pound-for-pound boxer). Pacquiao reportedly agreed to fight Mayweather on March 13, 2010 for a split of $50 million up front, and it was later agreed that the venue for the fight would be the MGM Grand Las Vegas. However, the bout was put in jeopardy due to disagreements about Olympic-style drug testing.

The Mayweather camp wanted random blood testing by the United States Anti-Doping Agency, whereas Pacquiao refused to have any blood testing within 30 days from the fight, because he thought it would weaken him, but he was willing to have blood taken from him before the 30-day window as well as immediately after the fight. Freddie Roach, on the other hand, commented that he would not allow blood to be taken from Pacquiao one week before the fight.  In an attempt to resolve their differences, the two camps went through a process of mediation before a retired judge. After the mediation process Mayweather agreed to a 14-day no blood testing window. However, Pacquiao refused and instead only agreed to a 24-day no blood testing window.  Consequently, on January 7, 2010, Pacquiao's promoter Bob Arum declared that the fight was officially off.

Because of Pacquiao's reluctance to submit to random blood testing to the extent requested by Mayweather, despite lack of evidence, the Mayweather camp repeated their suggestion that Pacquiao was usingbanned substances, which resulted in Pacquiao filing a lawsuit for defamation, seeking damages in excess of 75,000 dollars.  The lawsuit cited accusations made by Floyd Mayweather, Jr., Floyd Mayweather Sr., Roger Mayweather, Oscar De La Hoya and Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer.

After negotiations for the Mayweather fight fell through, other boxers were considered to replace Mayweather as Pacquiao's next opponent, including former Light Welterweight Champion Paul Malignaggi, and WBA Light Middleweight title holder Yuri Foreman.  However, Pacquiao chose to fight former IBF Welterweight title holderJoshua Clottey instead.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:28 pm 
Heavyweight

Pacquiao vs. Clottey

On March 13, 2010, at the Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas, Pacquiao defeated Clottey via unanimous decision to retain his WBO Welterweight title. The judges scored the fight 120–108, 119–109, and 119–109, all in favor of Pacquiao. During the fight, Pacquiao threw a total of 1231 punches (a career high), but landed just 246, as most were blocked by Clottey's tight defense. On the other hand, Clottey threw a total of 399 punches, landing 108.

The fight was rewarded with a paid crowd of 36,371 and a gate of $6,359,985, according to post-fight tax reports filed with Texas boxing regulators. Counting complimentary tickets delivered to sponsors, media outlets and others, the Dallas fight attracted 41,843, well short of the 50,994 that was previously announced, but still an epic number for boxing. In addition, the bout drew 700,000 pay-per-view buys and earned $35.3 million in domestic revenue.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 76  Next