Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:29 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1437 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:23 pm 
Heavyweight

The two rivals came face-to-face in Japan earlier this month, where talk of a possible rematch first gathered pace.

'I'm coming back to fight Manny Pacquiao this year,' said Mayweather. 'Another nine-figure payday on the way.'

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:24 pm 
Heavyweight

Pacquiao, when quizzed on the potential rematch, said recently: 'Mayweather? If he decides to go back to boxing then that is the time we are going to call the shots.

'I have the (WBA 'regular' welterweight) belt, so it's up to him. If he wants to come back in boxing, let's do a second one.'

Mayweather won all 50 of his professional fights, picking up world titles in five weight classes and becoming the richest fighter in the sport's history.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:24 pm 
Heavyweight

Pacquiao, when quizzed on the potential rematch, said recently: 'Mayweather? If he decides to go back to boxing then that is the time we are going to call the shots.

'I have the (WBA 'regular' welterweight) belt, so it's up to him. If he wants to come back in boxing, let's do a second one.'

Mayweather won all 50 of his professional fights, picking up world titles in five weight classes and becoming the richest fighter in the sport's history.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:26 pm 
Heavyweight

Pacquiao, meanwhile, has triumphed in a record eight divisions but was beaten by Mayweather amid complaints of a shoulder injury. 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:55 pm 
Heavyweight

Mayweather-Pacquiao II could be official within a week

Floyd and Manny look destined to do it again.

By Scott Christ  Sep 17, 2018It took almost a decade to actually get Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao into a ring together the first time, and now a rematch might come almost on a whim.

Word is that the fight, if finalized, would take place December 1 or December 8 in Las Vegas, and that the fight could be finalized as soon as this week.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:56 pm 
Heavyweight

Mayweather (50-0, 27 KOs) hasn’t had a legitimate boxing match in three years, since beating Andre Berto in September 2015, the fight that somewhat quietly followed his mega-bout with Pacquiao(60-7-2, 39 KOs) in May of that year.

Floyd last fought in August 2017, beating Conor McGregor in a huge spectacle that you can take seriously as a competition if you’d like.Mayweather, 41, and Pacquiao, who turns 40 in December, set the pay-per-view mark with 4.6 million buys for their hugely anticipated showdown a few years ago. Expectations should obviously not be that high for a rematch — first of all, the fight they had disappointed a lot of those millions of more casual fight fans who bought into the hype, and second of all, this is three more years down the road, and they’re even further past their primes now.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:57 pm 
Heavyweight

But it will do business, and they will make money. Mayweather and Pacquiao are still pretty easily the two biggest mainstream names in the welterweight division and perhaps in the sport overall, and Mayweather fighting is going to be an event no matter what. He proved that withMcGregor, a fight most of the boxing media looked at as a joke or a stunt, and then sold 4.4 million on pay-per-view, probably largely out of pure curiosity and the chance to see something different, which Mayweather-Pacquiao II is not.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:57 pm 
Heavyweight

Anyway, if it’s going to happen, let it happen now. Pacquiao looked sharp and strong and somewhat rejuvenated in thrashing Lucas Matthysse in July, a year after he looked a little worn in a controversial loss to Jeff Horn. There’s not going to be abetter time for Mayweather-Pacquiao II, and while you could argue the best time for the rematch would be “never,” if they’re going to do it, I say let’s do it now.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:01 pm 
Heavyweight

Mayweather, who called out Pacquiao when they bumped into each other in Tokyo over the weekend, is flying in to do business, according to Bulletin sources with knowledge of the US fighter’s visit.In Tokyo last Saturday, Mayweather taunted Pacquiao, whom he beat on points in May 2015, and declared that he will be coming out of retirement to face the Filipino star in December.

Mayweather, 41, insists that a second meeting with Pacquiao, who turns 40 on Dec. 17, would be another blockbuster event.

Pacquiao fought with an injured right shoulder that day and underwent surgery two days later.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:01 pm 
Heavyweight

Mayweather was in Manila last May, shopping in a couple of malls and later jet skiing at Samal Island in Davao with his entourage.

In his last fight, Pacquiao mauled Lucas Matthysse of Argentina in Malaysia.

The now talked-about encounter in Tokyo has boxing personages looking forward to the rematch.

World champion Jerwin Ancajas insists that while the two are no longer in their prime, the matchup is mouthwatering.“Based on what Manny Pacquiao showed the last time, I would like to see him get another chance at beating Mayweather,” said Ancajas.

Manila Rep. Manny Lopez, former amateur boxing chief, insists he would like to see Pacquiao get back at Mayweather.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:02 pm 
Heavyweight

“The last time Pacquiao fought with an injured shoulder and we’d like to see him in top shape so they can settle the issue,” said Lopez.

Manny Piñol, former Tempo boxing scribe and current Agriculture secretary, is also thrilled that a rematch is being planned.

“I will watch it. I would like to see a healthy and fit Pacman in the ring with Mayweather again. I believe people will watch it. Money has always been the motivation behind the staging of big fights,” Piñol said.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:03 pm 
Heavyweight

Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao 'in advanced talks over December rematch with contracts expected to be sent out this week'

By Daniel Matthews For Mailonline08:19 18 Sep 2018, updated 10:06 18 Sep 2018

Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao met in the richest fight in history in 2015Mayweather, 41, retired from boxing after beating Conor McGregor last yearBut 'Money' could face his former rival Pacquiao, 39, in Las Vegas in DecemberTho two fighters came face-to-face recently, fuelling rumours of a rematch Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao are in advanced talks over a money-spinning rematch in December, according to reports.

The two former pound-for-pound kings met in the richest fight in boxing history back in 2015, when after years of protracted talks Mayweather outpointed his rival in front of a record pay-per-view audience.Mayweather alone earned around $250million from the fight and 'Money' has since retired, hanging up his gloves after beating Conor McGregor last year. But RING Magazine claim the two fighters are closing in on another Las Vegas showdown, scheduled for later this year.  They claim that talks are in advanced stages and contracts are expected to be sent out this week.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:04 pm 
Heavyweight

Provided there are no hiccups in negotiations, the fight is likely to take place in Las Vegas on either December 1 or December 8.

The two rivals came face-to-face in Japan earlier this month, where talk of a possible rematch first gathered pace.

'I'm coming back to fight Manny Pacquiao this year,' said Mayweather. 'Another nine-figure payday on the way.'Pacquiao, when quizzed on the potential rematch, said recently: 'Mayweather? If he decides to go back to boxing then that is the time we are going to call the shots.

'I have the (WBA 'regular' welterweight) belt, so it's up to him. If he wants to come

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:06 pm 
Heavyweight

Pacquiao, meanwhile, has triumphed in a record eight divisions but was beaten by Mayweather amid complaints of a shoulder injury.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:06 pm 
Heavyweight

Top Rank promoter Bob Arum has revealed he won’t be getting involved in a forthcoming rematch between Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao.

Former fighter Pacquiao is set to face Mayweather again three years after their first meeting. Arum is no longer contracted to work with Pacquiao, as the veteran confirmed.

“I’m a friend of Manny Pacquiao.  But no, we have no contractual deal with him,” stated Arum to Sirius XM Boxing Radio.

“I like Manny.  And if there’s an opportunity here for Manny to pick up some money, fine.  But I’m not thrilled with two old guys getting in the ring and fighting way after their sell date.“But if people want to pay for it and watch it, why not.  I don’t think necessarily it hurts the rest of boxing.  We have plenty of dates for young fighters like Terence Crawford and Lomachenko.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1437 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96  Next