Yeah, and while you're thinking about all mundane things, the country's dollar reserves are silently being eroded to keep the peso from further sinking, the trade deficit is widening, inflation is rising, the budget deficit has gone up close to 400 billion pesos, there is a looming threat of the suspension of tariff free exports of more than 6000 Philippine products to EU countries, China is continuing to build structures in disputed areas , the unemployment rate has gone up, the Abu Sayyaf has taken almost double the hostages that they previously held, bodies are piling up faster than you can bury them, and all these happening in less than a year.
Duterte sure beats Marcos by a mile - it took Marcos years to ruin the country, Duterte is doing it in record time - it took Marcos years for the world to take notice, well Duterte did it during his first months in office.
And I'll have to give it to Duterte, he sure has the political will to bring his enemies down to their knees at the country's expense. And as for eliminating poverty, he still has a long way to go, millions more waiting in line to be killed.
As if these things never happened in the previous administrations! During the time of Marcos, our economy was in shambles. During the time of Cory, the economy failed to recover due to endless coup d'etat tries against her. Forward to P-noy's admin, China had forbidden our fishermen from our own shoals, but now they can go there and fish; PDAF and DAP were examples of legalized plunder that deprived our people of basic services. The ASG has been terrorizing us since the beginning but what have the other presidents done? And now, you are attributing these to the present admin? And how can you say that Duterte has ruined our economy? We have better prospects now under him than any other corrupt presidents before him. We ain't seen nothin' yet. And don't push the panic button yet on the peso depreciation. It may be bad for import (gasoline, etc), but it's good for export and our OFWs.
Duterte had no enemies, but some people turned themselves into his enemies. They got their comeuppance. These people have skeletons in their closets so they try to make noise to cover up their shenanigans. Those waiting to be killed are criminals, and if you are one of them, beware! You still have time to change your evil ways.
Good for exports if there is no trade imbalance, but you see there is a larger trade deficit which means more dollars going out than dollars coming in, and this would further be exacerbated if EU countries would discontinue trade free tariff exports for more than 6000 Philippine products.
And so you need Chinese permission to fish on our own waters now even after the international tribunal ruling? You see even the Supreme Court ruling on the DAP recognized that it accelerated development , it was the method which was questioned - the PDAF had a website which detailed specific spending including details like the project, location, amounts disbursed , the lawmaker involved so there was actually greater transparency.
Close to 8000 of Filipinos have been killed - are all of them criminals? It took one Korean for Duterte to admit that 40% of the police force was corrupt - so who would now be accountable for the lives lost during the campaign spearheaded by a police force that was in Duterte's own words 40% corrupt?
Unemployment has gone up , budget deficit is near 400 billion, Aquino actually shrunk the budget deficit from 300 billion during Arroyo's time to 72 billion by 2014 and now it's back. Diokno admitted that the country's economic fundamentals were strong due to Aquino's fiscal management - and if there was one thing the Aquino administration was guilty of , it was underspending.
So if there is a larger trade deficit, you want these countries to just import our inferior products and pamper our manufacturers? You have to be competitive and not just wait for government to spoonfeed you. So what if EU cancels free tariff for our products? We can always reciprocate in kind. But rather than EU, we're better off doing business with our ASEAN neighbors. The world is actually wooing ASEAN to include them in ASEAN trade and economic fora.
So what if you need to ask permission from the Chinese? Be practical. Last time I heard, our fishermen couldn't even fish in their own territory even with permission. It's a no-brainer which situation favors our fishermen, so you better ask them which one they'd prefer.
That 40% or even higher, of the police force are corrupt is common knowledge. They've been with us for as far as I can remember. Most are leftovers from previous admins because they were weak presidents. Duterte is now cleansing the police and even the bureaucracy, but you still complain! Blame yourself for being weak and tolerating weakness.
I'm not sure if all of the 8000 killed were criminals, but I believe most of those killed in police encounters are. Vigilante killings should not be attributed to the police; doing so would be sheer idiocy.
You quoted it correctly when you said Aquino's admin was guilty of underspending, and therein lies the reason why our budget deficit shrunk: because of the so-called savings kuno. By the way, the SC probably stated a general principle that when you allocate budgets for projects, naturally there would be some developments, but greater transparency you said? Perhaps you were living in another planet that you have not heard that most of these allocations went into the pockets of Napoles and our honorable lawmakers who are now in jail.
Our inferior products , come again? The trade imbalance is with China , not with the United States or Japan our three top trading partners, you think we'll ever have a positive balance vis a vis Chinese products keep on dreaming, I've had first hand experience, our garments factory had to close shop because the market was flooded with cheap Chinese goods.
Do you have to ask permission from your tenant to enter your own house? The international tribunal already gave us the high ground, and we're ceding th- do I have to remind you about Duterte's jet ski remark and the complete turnaround afterwards - but of course he has broken most of his promises , including that one about pork barrel because it remains the carrot aside of course from intimidation to keep members of congress in line.
So he knew that 40% of the police force was corrupt , then why would you unleash that type of group in the drug campaign, why not cleanse it first , that's at putting the cart before the horse - because he doesn't care about the lives of the poor, to him they're simply lab rats in an experiment and if he was so successful in Davao , why are there still drugs in Davao more than 20 years after he took office? Why did it take one single Korean fatality, not the thousands of Filipinos including kids , for him to acknowledge the ineptness of the force he was unleashing on hapless citizens? Any vigilante caught in Davao after more than a thousand killings , how about after close to 6000 kills in the country , any substantial development or significant arrests made - the human rights director who wrote the report on EJKs noted in an interview - how can an armed group roam around freely in heavily patrolled areas and not get caught if the police are not complicit?
And Napoles got caught , correct - now some of the biggest crooks including Arroyo, Bolante , et al and perhaps even Napoles in the near future are being freed. The tendency of corrupt people is to overspend , more projects , more sources of corruption, right.
Duterte lies and he lies blatantly - he actually said to a group of Filipinos in Indonesia that he has already doubled the salaries of policemen and soldiers - doblado na - when the increase in allowances and benefits of this group was because of the executive order signed by Aquino, Executive order 201. This is the video of Duterte speaking to the Filipino community - you can watch it or scroll to the 1:17:10 mark where he said - kaya dinoble ko, doblado na sila ngayon - but perhaps he was referring to Lascanas and other members who the DDS who were receiving monthly allowances of 100k from him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwgNfHnqwbY
Use your coconut shell on why we have trade imbalance with China. In fact, the whole world has trade imbalance with China simply because China has cheaper products compared with the rest of the world (quality and safety aside). So if I were the importer, I would source my goods from China too. Kailangan pa bang i-memorize yan? It's a pity that our garments factories had to close shop, but that's business. People search for products that would maximize their profit. Cheaper prices are mostly the result of cheaper labor, not to mention cheaper raw materials. That's why rich countries grow at a slower pace than poorer countries like us because their labor cost is higher.
So you want to declare war against China because we won in the international tribunal? If you are a brave Pinoy, then I'm sure you are probably one among those who want war with China. I do too, but I think rationally just like our president. There is time for war and a time for diplomacy. We need to get rich first and improve our defenses. Without corruption, this has become a feasible reality. It is the height of naivete believing everything Duterte said during the campaign period. Have you ever head of hyperbole, or double-talk? An astute politician would never show all his cards in order to win. You have to bluff your opponents and it proved effective - he won the presidency.
Drugs are everywhere in this world. You wouldn't even know if your children are into drugs. Can Duterte eliminate drugs? I don't think so, but he can limit the drug trade and the proliferation of drugs, which he has started doing but is being hindered by his political enemies for their own survival. You can't do anything if the police chose to be corrupt. Duterte has made it clear that he hates corruption, so the police can choose to be corrupt at their own risk. He trusted the police to abide by his policies and example, but some of them have chosen the wrong path, which is not his fault. Why would you blame him for the crimes committed by the ASG and the police? What is important is that he wants to clean the police and to eliminate the ASG. You should do your part and not just criticize without reason.
And why blame Duterte if Arroyo had been freed? Blame the SC; blame the justices placed by P-noy and Gloria; blame P-noy and De Lima for incarcerating people without strong evidence.
If you're telling us that P-noy doubled the salaries of policemen, why had the police not received the increase during his tenure? Because he had no budget for it as money had already been distributed to corrupt lawmakers through PDAF and DAP. Duterte was able to implement it because his admin is not corrupt, so every penny of the budget is accounted for. You should be thankful that we finally have a president like Duterte who has the political will and is not corrupt. You are implying that there is still pork barrel in his budget but that remains to be seen. Without evidence of wrongdoing, it's pure hearsay. But I believe Duterte will not tolerate corruption under his watch.
Let's tackle your points one by one.
1. Inferior products - compared to China ours are vastly better - we had a running joke with other garments manufacturers, - Chinese made clothing the cheap ones are like disposable items, wear and dispose - and I agree we are never going to outsell the Chinese when it comes to exports - the deficit will always be there but I'm talking about other countries where we have a positive balance. If the EU countries cancel our tariff free privileges what do you think will happen to trade deficit, common sense dictates that it will further widen, ditto with other countries like the States where some export products enjoy preferential rates - note that these rates are based on international agreements notably our human rights records and the death penalty - so I ask you can we turn to the Chinese once we disregard these considerations - please use your coconut shell too, China is not going to absorb lost trade from these other nations.
2. Who said we are declaring war against China? Only Duterte created this scenario and all of you believed him. Indonesia, Vietnam , South Korea , Japan, all insisted on their territorial integrity - they used water cannons , even burned Chinese fishing vessels to assert their territorial integrity - compared to the mighty Chinese military , they all remain inferior - did China declare war against these nations? In the region , only Cambodia is allied with China. And yes you are correct Duterte used double talk not hyperbole because he never tried to assert our rights
3.Peter Bouckaert emergencies director at Human Rights Watch , a seasoned investigator, pointed out in an interview that the drug problem in Australia was worse. Duterte's figures are mostly inflated and although the drug menace exists in the Philippines it is not of the magnitude which Duterte wants the Filipinos to believe. Duterte is commander in chief , yet despite the entreaties of relatives, acquaintances of victims , that most of the killings were summary executions not legitimate encounters , he remained deaf to their pleas and in the case of children killed or collateral damage , all he could say was a lame "I'm sorry". Yet when one Korean national was killed , the drug campaign was halted and Duterte immediately concluded that the police force was 40% corrupt - the point - it took one Korean not the thousands of Filipinos killed for Duterte to make the admission - it was not Duterte's fault that the police force was corrupt but it was his fault that he turned a deaf ear to the complaints of abuses even going to the extent of saying he will still believe the lies of the police. Really???
4. Duterte blatantly lied to the OFW community in Indonesia when he claimed that he doubled the salaries of policemen and soldiers , the only increases in benefits came from Aquino's executive order and here is where you did not do any research betraying your ignorance on the order. The increase is done in several tranches, and this was the second tranche this year and was already included in the 2016 budget of the Aquino government - your lame reasoning that this was due to corruption brought about by PDAF and DAP attest to this.
5. If there is any semblance of corruption , this can be attributed to Duterte who until now has failed to produce the waiver. Duterte together with Cayetano were the first to issue the challenge to other presidential aspirants to produce a waiver to show that they were not corrupt. They even bandied an invalid waiver which was more manifesto than the real thing and which cannot be used - Duterte hemmed and hawed saying that he will produce one after the elections which never came. As of late, Duterte made the empty gesture of instructing the AMLC to reveal his net worth but to those who understand accounting and bank statements, net worth is different from transaction history. Further, if you review the mandate of the AMLC , they cannot do so without a court order. Duterte's statement was again meant to dupe people like you.
6. There were pork allocations hidden in different agencies and this observation came from Duterte allies Lacson and Sotto.
7. Duterte's drug war is also double standard - Joshua Arroyo grandson of the former First Gentleman was caught in a buy bust operation together with two others - after Gloria visited Duterte, Joshua was released with no charges filed while the two others caught with him remained in detention. Majority of the SC justices are Arroyo appointees and it is no secret that Duterte made a pre election statement regarding Arroyo's detention.
I am using my coconut but are you using yours - that thing about the executive order of Aquino reveals that the last thing you would do is actually validate an assertion based on diligent research - what you actually did was resort to mudslinging.