Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:56 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:27 pm 
Cruiserweight

This fight is very interesting and intriguing. Let us start with Keith Thurman his strengths, weaknesses and previous bouts.
Keith Thurman
- can be considered as top 3 among the best 147 welterweight.
- The 2 years layoff definitely brought some ring rust and given the stepped up in competition (Garcia, Porter) plus the struggles against Josesito and Collazo gives us the idea Thurman is not the best defensive fighter, he can be hurt in the body, his chin is still questionable.

Strengths and Weaknesses
- Thurman has decent speed and footwork, a fast starter, solid and natural welterweight, a thinking fighter, good killer instinct, a good body puncher, still in his prime, he can counter-punch but not a combination puncher ala marquez but definitely hits harder than Marquez, whenever he's hurt he knows how to survive, he's good in first 6 rounds often times he knows how to win the last 2 rounds. he can box, brawl, survive.

Manny Pacquiao
- 8 division champ, still very quick, fast, and explosive even at the age of 40.
- a 40 yrs old with the stamina of a 30 yr old fighter, very impressive in his last 2 bouts, become selective with his punches. Very impressive against Matthysse though Matthysse doesn't look like the same fighter 4-5 yrs ago and stylistically a good match for Pacquiao, and Broner not really a big puncher in the 147 welterweight, Broner doesn't look the same after the Maidana fight (not letting his hands go).

Strengths and Weakneses
- Pacquiao did not look good against Horn in most of the rounds, he got bullied, out-muscled, + Horn's rough dirty tactics, Pacquiao doesn't throw 800-1000 punches anymore and become more selective with his punches, he has become more of a boxer, he can get hit when an opponent uses a lot of movements, jabs, and counter-punching. thankfully Bradley and Jessie Vargas were not big punchers as Pacquiao absorbed their best shots and landed more with his own shots. Pacquiao has a very strong chin, can really dominate a lot of rounds.

Prediction

Its really hard to predict the outcome of this fight. These 2 boxers are both very experience, they both have speed and power, they can both box and brawl occasionally. The first 3 rounds i think Thurman will really try to counter with right hooks and uppercut while Pacquiao will use his quickness in and out, i expect Pacquiao to dominate the middle rounds if ever Thurman can't score a KD or hurt Pacquiao in the first 3 rounds. Thurman will try to win the last few rounds but still has to be cautious as pacquiao can still score late KD or KO.

Close Controversial Split Decision either Pacquiao or thurman (Same prediction with Crawford's trainer). Brutal fight for both and will have to absorb heavy shots.

As mentioned by Thurman he will use a lot of movements for this fight. He's just really good at selling the fight using Thrash talks.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:22 pm 
Lightweight

This is my take:

Rd. 1 - Thurman attacks, Pacman counters.
Rd. 2 - Pacman attacks, Thurman counters.
Rd. 3- 8 Two pugilists exchange punches.
Rd. 9- Thurman is groggy.
Rd. 10 - Thurman is KOed.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:34 pm 
Middleweight

Pacs movement maybe absent on this fight. But Pac will make Thurman quit. I see Thurman gassing out at the later rounds.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:51 pm 
Heavyweight

heartless wrote:
Pacs movement maybe absent on this fight. But Pac will make Thurman quit. I see Thurman gassing out at the later rounds.

From what I read, Pacman will move in a new way, zig-zag pattern ... that would be interesting to watch.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:36 am 
Heavyweight

I just hoped Pac doesn't get carried away by trying to KO keith......cuz realistically Hatton was the last guy he KO'd....ten years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:41 am 
Cruiserweight

4 big reasons why Thurman will lose the fight

1. Thurman has difficulties fighting an aggressive fighter, you can see the obvious during his fight against Lopez who is even a slow boxer.

2. I think Thurman is already a washed-up fighter, the way he handles the punches it looks like he is ready to retire.

3 Thurman when being attack doesn't know how to grab his opponent he doesn't know how to hold like Broner, Mayweather and most of the other former opponent of the Pacman.

4. It seems Thurman is only enjoying his days in boxing he doesn't look serious anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:16 am 
Middleweight

heartless wrote:
I see Thurman gassing out at the later rounds.

lopez gave it all but thurman survive it and won. did he gassed out? pac is in big trouble

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:25 am 
Heavyweight

Thurman will left jabs, one step backward then throws his right straight,
He'll try to attack Manny's body perhaps thinking the latter is weak there
after watching the Torrecampo fight.
He'll backtrack then throws his right uppercut as Pac rushes in ; Pac should watch it.
Thurman's punches are wide , Pac should quickly attack to unleash his counters.
Pac should use his speedy footwork, to go left then right to confuse Keith.
Thurman might attack & try to ko Pac within the first 6 rounds wary that
he'll gassed out in the middle & late rounds
But it could only be a ploy. Instead he might only box & try to earn some points in those rounds.
Pac will outbox him, so he'll resort to running, clinching & will try to bully pac ala Horn.
Pac should be patient & cool & after feeling Thurman's style, must adapt his game plan.
Once he hits One time solidly, he must avoid the FPJ combo, the power could be lessen.
Instead , he must unleash, 3 to 4 combinations with full power to finish his trashy opponent.
Pac by a UD or either the ref stopping the fight or Thurman quitting in the 9th round. 8) :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:35 am 
Heavyweight

Aspen wrote:
heartless wrote:

lopez gave it all but thurman survive it and won. did he gassed out? pac is in big trouble

Lopez is not Pacquiao.

8)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:52 am 

If this fight is being held 10 years backward it will be very easy to pick Pacquiao over Thurman. The age of Thurman now is the year of invincibility for Manny Pacquiao, Thurman would have been no match.

However now Pacquaio at 40, I cannot help but to think a little bit cautious how this fight would turn in favor of Manny.

Yet still there are more reasons for Manny to win than for Thurman, that is because Manny is overall the better fighter due to experience with intelligence, quickness and handspeed and of course power.

If Thurman opts to box from a distance, Manny's going to use his lateral moves while delivering his unseen quick hands from different angles. Except for Mayweather, I never saw a fighter better than Manny in positioning his quick feet to get that angle for an open shot.

If Thurman goes wild and stands toe-to-toe, Manny would definitely hit him and chances are the fighter from Florida would get knocked out. However, this is where I am going to be cautious. This is because I do not know how tough is Manny's chin at this time of his age from the punch of Thurman. Yes, Manny can outpunch Thurman on a toe-to-toe fight but our man has to be careful. A lot of lucky punches would come out from a toe-to-toe fight, especially that I see Thurman being younger as more stronger than Manny.

Please remember that Marquez is a lot smaller than Thurman yet he sent Manny sleeping on the canvas.

I am quite sure as the fight progresses and Thurman behind on points yet not hurt seriously, the American would advance more using his size and strength, he would put a lot of pressure on Pacquiao.

It is going to be a very exciting fight! We Filipinos would feel the same nervousness as how we felt against the 3 Mexican greats (Morales, Barrera and Marquez)

Pacquiao's quickness is key when Thurman presses, and speedy hands when Thurman boxes.

Pacquiao is not fighting an ordinary welterweight...he is fighting the current second best welterweight champion in the world (first is Crawford and Spence is only third in my view)...and I don't think the guy from Florida is slowing down. His last fight against Lopez was just a warm up feeling his way back to competitive fighting.

It is good to see Manny trained early with bad intentions, he knows he is facing a fighter who is at its peak.

One more thing...why this fight is getting more exciting to me is because if Manny wins...then expect Crawford and Spence jockeying for position to fight Pacquiao in a very lucrative bout!!! I wouldn't be surprised if Mayweather out of the blue comes into the picture as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:01 am 
Cruiserweight

Nice observation @jawo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:40 pm 
Lightweight

It can be all PacMan's Rounds...Maybe few , a two or three for Thurman.. But those rounds would just be a "rest rounds" for Paquiao.
Pacman winning by majority decision with possible knockdowns in some rounds.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:56 pm 
Cruiserweight

If Thurman somehow managed to use ring movement and pot shots in the middle rounds Pacquiao must be able to close the gap and dominate the last 3 rounds.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:03 pm 
Cruiserweight

Thurman knows how to survive and take advantage of the full 12 rounds (defensive mode) where he already gave his best shots but the opponent just took them well and still managed to put a lot of pressure against Thurman. Pacquiao can definitely win either KO, TKO, or decision but the more realistic approach is that he really needs to be careful and must be in good shape as he will also absorb a lot of heavy shots from Keith Thurman who's also a natural welterweight in his prime and also possessed 1 punch KO.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:32 pm 
Middleweight

Aspen wrote:
heartless wrote:

Lopez and Pac is totally different.

Pac can make you runs circle and miss. Pac and Lopez have different level of activity in the ring and that makes the difference.