Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:29 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 9:07 pm 
Featherweight

Since we're all talking about what Manny should do in PAC-JMM II...Do you think Pac would make a great counter-puncher? What style/technique should he work at to be the best?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 11:10 pm 
Heavyweight

Counterpunching against JMM would prove futile because JMM is the best counterpuncher in the business.

Manny should do what he does best...rushing in. But of course, with some adjustments to prevent the results of their first fight.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:49 am 
Lightweight

[quote="cpuenj"]Since we're all talking about what Manny should do in PAC-JMM II...Do you think Pac would make a great counter-puncher? What style/technique should he work at to be the best?[/quote]

No. You can't counter JMM's counter punches. And most of all, that's not the kind of fighter MP is. He's a better version of Ricardo Mayorga. Even though his punches aren't as wild as Mayorga's, I think one or two good punches from Manny will drop JMM for good this time. Manny took some of JMM's best punches I've seen and it didn't hurt Manny. Sure, it drove him back a couple of times, but it didn't deck him like Manny's punch did to him. Same strategy should be used next time around, just a little more pressure from Manny. JMM won't be able to answer back this time. This is sweetscience reporting...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:19 am 
Light Heavyweight

leave it to jmm, he is the master in that category, manny could be a counterpuncher but not at this time, same strategy with little adjustment on how to break jmm's counter, the fact is we havent seen the real manny in his last fight bcoz of injuries.... the speed and body attack..in and out attack! we never saw it... jmm has shown all he got... BUT NOT MANNY!!! THIS WILL BE THE TURNING POINT..... HELL BE SURPRISE THIS TIME!! I BELIEVE HIM!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:11 am 
Welterweight

Pacman slugged his way to the top of 3 weight classes, unless that style fails him, he should not change his tactics. Of course a little modification would not hurt. Take for example his fight against JMM, he tried to outboxed him (coz of injury) and could only come up with a draw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:05 am 
Light Heavyweight

barumbado wrote:
Take for example his fight against JMM, he tried to outboxed him (coz of injury) and could only come up with a draw.

After the first round, Manny could have converted himself to chicken Gainer the rest of the rounds by hit and run and win the fight! But knowing Manny, he didn't do that. He wants to win or lose with honor.

“Pac is good, there’s no doubt about it...And he’s fast. I thought there were 10 of him in there. I’m looking here and he’s over there. And I’m reacting to a punch from this way and there’s another coming at me from that way. - Oscar De La Hoya 9/16/09

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:45 am 
Heavyweight

HERE IS THE POINT... THIS TIME MANNY SHOULD TRY TO WAIT AND SEE WHAT MARQUEZ WOULD DO, AND I EVEN SAY THAT MANNY SHOULD LET MARQUEZ DO THE FIRST MOVE?

WHY?

BECAUSE MARQUEZ IS NOT GOOD IN INITIATING THE ATTACK. HE IS GOOD IN COUNTERPUNCHING. SO IF MARQUEZ INITIATES THE ATTACk MANNY WOULD TAKE AWAY MARQUEZ'S MAIN WEAPON---COUNTERPUNCHES.

MARQUEZ WOULD BE IN A WHOLATTA TROUBLE IF HE INITIATES THE ATTACK WITH PACQUIAO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:28 am 
Cruiserweight

JMM is a big Chatchai Sasakul, he has mastered counterpunching I don't think Pac could win against JMM through counter-punching. Pac should get him (marquez) into a fight just like what he did against MAB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:17 am 
Featherweight

points taken.

do you remember pac's kd's? none of them came when he was standing still. they all got him while in mid-punch, except that bout when he was overweight. that is to say they lunged at the same time, sabay ba (torrecampo, hussein). that's the downside of manny's punch: his momentum + opponent's punch - manny's chin = possible kd.

i was just thinking if you guys out there have sumthing so that manny doesn't run into that risk again. or has roach made him impervious to that technique. kasi if you're quick enough to the draw and catch manny in mid punch with a haymaker or even a stiff jab. manny's in trouble. but then again manny's too quick nowadays...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:27 am 
Featherweight

hey guys be my sounding board right here....

i have this theory...

manny to me, has a sort of counterpunching style about him. you see some of his most devastating ko's come while the opposition is trying to get busy on him, but they just can't seem to hit manny. even when attacking, manny is a dodgy lot. then he throws his combos, he either hits the enemy on the retreat (barrera), gets in first with a fake (marquez), or totally destroys the opposition while the latter is trying to get busy (but gets open in the process[ Barotillo])

Manny's ko of barotillo, in my opinion, is one of his best. barotillo and manny got busy, but manny being dodgy was a hard hit. barotillo got a good (but almost invisible) shot to the chin. they break off. then barotillo moves away, knees buckling, puts up his gloves, and after 5 seconds drops like a felled log to the canvass on his own. beautiful!

here's my point. the way pac executes his offense is beautiful...he comes in in that pendulum like way. eggs the opposition to throw a punch. then gets his own. isn't that a bit like counterpunching?

I'd like to christen it "offensive counterpunching"

What do you say?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:48 am 
Bantamweight

MANNY THROWS HIS POWER PUNCH MOVING FORWARD.. WHEN HE IS DRIVEN BACK, I OBSERVED HIS PUNCHES ARE NOT DESTRUCTIVE.. c,")

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:49 am 
Bantamweight

MANNY THROWS HIS POWER PUNCH MOVING FORWARD.. WHEN HE IS DRIVEN BACK, I OBSERVED HIS PUNCHES ARE NOT DESTRUCTIVE.. c,")

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:50 am 
Bantamweight

Post subject:
Bantamweight

Post subject:
Bantamweight