Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:40 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:55 pm 
Welterweight

I recently read another one of those never-ending articles about the $40M that Floyd offered to Pacquiao before.

http://thyblackman.com/2013/04/30/manny-pacquiao-floyd-mayweather-jr-40-million-was-on-table/#respond

In this article (and like in many of the same ones), I asked myself, was there really someone, or at least the fans, who did the math about this one? Heck, I think even the ones who wrote similar articles never really did the proper math with regards to a possible fight against the two aging P4P stars... Or at least, they did the math, but only on Pacquiao's side .

Let's try and start by doing an estimate on the number of PPV buys and possible cost of ordering the fight (again, these are just 'estimates', or best guesses):

3,000,000 (best estimated guess of PPV Buys)
x 60 (rate in US dollars)

[If Pacquiao agreed to the 40 million Floyd Mayweather offered, then we should assume that the latter would get 140 million, yes?]

*Manny Pacquiao's portion:

40,000,000 (offered guarantee / max earning)
26,000,000 (pacquiao's earnings in his last fight against marquez)

*Floyd Mayweather's portion:

140,000,000 (assumed guarantee / max earning)
45,000,000 (floyd's earnings in his last fight against cotto)

Note: I want to point out that the 3 million PPV buys was the minimum best estimate, hence, the earnings Floyd would possibly receive can definitely be much higher than the $140M estimate. That's Pacquiao's disadvantage since the $40M is a fixed amount. However, if the PPV numbers decreased from the estimate, then Floyd's at a disadvantage on that one (since again, the $40M is fixed). That's where Floyd is a genius at: he knows that even if the PPV numbers failed to reach the 3 million expectation, say only 2.5M, his earnings would still be much in increase than that of Pacquiao's. But the odds are, a fight of this magnitude and importance, the 3 million PPV buys was correct to be called a minimum estimate.

After comparing their last, best earnings when not fighting each other ($45M to $26M), their difference is 63:37, but if Pacquiao had agreed to Floyd's offer, then the ratio would have been 78:22 ($140M to $40M), going into Floyd's favor... However, another point to consider is there are still many paycuts on Pacquiao's end since he's got an "official" promoter, erstwhile Mayweather has "none" (GBP is his de-facto promoter; I guess there are still paycuts, but significantly less than Top Rank's cuts). Therefore in the above $26M Pacquiao's earning, we should assume the 'real' profits from Pacquiao's last fight was much higher than it seemed.

Therefore, if Floyd would have offered Pacquiao $65M to $70M that time and still Pacquiao refused, it would have been justified that Pacquiao is to blame for not accepting. I myself will definitely bash him for not accepting, since the random drug testing was already cleared and that offer was the only thing getting in the way (well... there's still the Mayweather/Haymon/GBP against Arum beef). On the other hand, Floyd had never earned more than $50M in one fight, yet he stands to make $140M if his $40M offer to Pacquiao had been accepted.

If ever they really fight (which I think they won't, but still hopes they will), that big of a difference in increase in Floyd's earnings than Pacquiao's increase in earnings makes me say that Floyd needs Pacquiao more than the other way around, in this regard. Am I not justified to assume that thought? If comparing the two numbers of percentage increase, the average person rightly assumes that the one that has the less increase would also be less in value than the one that has the higher increase.

I can also recall one boxing columnist that I respect (from boxingtalk.com) accurately saying, "that $40M offer was made to be refused." Some fans will say that $40M would be Pacquiao's biggest payday in one fight, but since I somewhat have a proof because of the above numbers, I can also say that without Pacquiao, Floyd will never ever get past $60M, or even $50M in one fight.

This is just one fan's opinion....

Check that: estimate. This is just one fan's estimate. I hope I did the math right.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:32 pm 
Heavyweight

viel_mervic wrote:
I recently read another one of those never-ending articles about the $40M that Floyd offered to Pacquiao before.

http://thyblackman.com/2013/04/30/manny-pacquiao-floyd-mayweather-jr-40-million-was-on-table/#respond

In this article (and like in many of the same ones), I asked myself, was there really someone, or at least the fans, who did the math about this one? Heck, I think even the ones who wrote similar articles never really did the proper math with regards to a possible fight against the two aging P4P stars... Or at least, they did the math, but only on Pacquiao's side .

Let's try and start by doing an estimate on the number of PPV buys and possible cost of ordering the fight (again, these are just 'estimates', or best guesses):

3,000,000 (best estimated guess of PPV Buys)
x 60 (rate in US dollars)

[If Pacquiao agreed to the 40 million Floyd Mayweather offered, then we should assume that the latter would get 140 million, yes?]

*Manny Pacquiao's portion:

40,000,000 (offered guarantee / max earning)
26,000,000 (pacquiao's earnings in his last fight against marquez)

*Floyd Mayweather's portion:

140,000,000 (assumed guarantee / max earning)
45,000,000 (floyd's earnings in his last fight against cotto)

Note: I want to point out that the 3 million PPV buys was the minimum best estimate, hence, the earnings Floyd would possibly receive can definitely be much higher than the $140M estimate. That's Pacquiao's disadvantage since the $40M is a fixed amount. However, if the PPV numbers decreased from the estimate, then Floyd's at a disadvantage on that one (since again, the $40M is fixed). That's where Floyd is a genius at: he knows that even if the PPV numbers failed to reach the 3 million expectation, say only 2.5M, his earnings would still be much in increase than that of Pacquiao's. But the odds are, a fight of this magnitude and importance, the 3 million PPV buys was correct to be called a minimum estimate.

After comparing their last, best earnings when not fighting each other ($45M to $26M), their difference is 63:37, but if Pacquiao had agreed to Floyd's offer, then the ratio would have been 78:22 ($140M to $40M), going into Floyd's favor... However, another point to consider is there are still many paycuts on Pacquiao's end since he's got an "official" promoter, erstwhile Mayweather has "none" (GBP is his de-facto promoter; I guess there are still paycuts, but significantly less than Top Rank's cuts). Therefore in the above $26M Pacquiao's earning, we should assume the 'real' profits from Pacquiao's last fight was much higher than it seemed.

Therefore, if Floyd would have offered Pacquiao $65M to $70M that time and still Pacquiao refused, it would have been justified that Pacquiao is to blame for not accepting. I myself will definitely bash him for not accepting, since the random drug testing was already cleared and that offer was the only thing getting in the way (well... there's still the Mayweather/Haymon/GBP against Arum beef). On the other hand, Floyd had never earned more than $50M in one fight, yet he stands to make $140M if his $40M offer to Pacquiao had been accepted.

If ever they really fight (which I think they won't, but still hopes they will), that big of a difference in increase in Floyd's earnings than Pacquiao's increase in earnings makes me say that Floyd needs Pacquiao more than the other way around, in this regard. Am I not justified to assume that thought? If comparing the two numbers of percentage increase, the average person rightly assumes that the one that has the less increase would also be less in value than the one that has the higher increase.

I can also recall one boxing columnist that I respect (from boxingtalk.com) accurately saying, "that $40M offer was made to be refused." Some fans will say that $40M would be Pacquiao's biggest payday in one fight, but since I somewhat have a proof because of the above numbers, I can also say that without Pacquiao, Floyd will never ever get past $60M, or even $50M in one fight.

This is just one fan's opinion....

Check that: estimate. This is just one fan's estimate. I hope I did the math right.

So True ...

Pac got $26M PLUS PPV therefore he earned close to $40M also with that fight.

$ 40M by Mayweather was a cheap offer

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:46 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Mayweather could have offered Manny "$40M dollars"...??? But its not up to Manny to decide... Mayweather should have called the Puppeteer Bob Arum, but I think Bob will also turn this offer down. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:25 pm 
Welterweight

how about the cuts for HBO, promoters, undercards, and other expenses? did you consider those too?

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:39 pm 
Heavyweight

Shame on Packy and Floyd. They both fought professionally for peanuts early in their careers. The fight should have happened even for free, just for the sake of the fans and the sport.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:45 pm 
Light Heavyweight

JAXAN wrote:
Shame on Packy and Floyd. They both fought professionally for peanuts early in their careers. The fight should have happened even for free, just for the sake of the fans and the sport.

:shock:

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:56 pm 
Cruiserweight

damn!....this is tring and old news already....floyd could be using this issue again to hype his fight with Guerrero....

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:07 pm 
Heavyweight

BaksingPan wrote:
JAXAN wrote:

:shock:

YES, if they are the people's champion they claim to be and cannot agree to terms then give all money to charities or winner takes all. I remember Pack saying he fought for $1 early in his life, why turn down 40 million this time? the same goes for Floyd on the 50/50... Greed for money is the reason why the fight didn't come to fruition.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:07 pm 
Welterweight

cactus_factus wrote:
how about the cuts for HBO, promoters, undercards, and other expenses? did you consider those too?

I actually never intended to include those things, since those pay cuts would essentially be deducted equally on both parties. say the cut of HBO is 25%, then 12.5% of the deduction would be shouldered by both The Money Team and Team Pacquiao.

basically, I just did the cancellation principle for the cuts. the purpose of these calculations is just to show the difference in percentage, or simply the split, of the guarantees and/or possible earnings between Mayweather and Pacquiao. the main point is about the $40M flat-out guarantee of Floyd to Pacquiao, if it's justifiable or not.

cyberman wrote:
damn!....this is tring and old news already....floyd could be using this issue again to hype his fight with Guerrero....

I agree with you. this is old news, and yet thyblackman.com found another reason to reuse this story because, well, Floyd brought it up again (and now, he's the one using Pac's name again, right?) in his most recent interview (to promote his fight against Guerrero). that website will defend floyd no matter what. can't blame them though, floyd is their bro, even though they know floyd is possibly wrong in this case.... well, isn't it the same for some of the infamous pacquiao fans, the pactards, who seem to defend pac no matter if he's doing the right or the wrong things? so as a fair boxing fan, i won't be seething in anger towards that site.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:34 pm 
Bantamweight

funny how Floyd keeps saying Arum is milking Pacquiao but he's really trying to short change him as well.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:44 pm 
Heavyweight

First the drug testing then the ppv split .......what's next....? Shave Manny's hair....? Excuses ....excuses.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:53 pm 
Heavyweight

Yup, dredged up news to promote Floyd's fight...

Pacquiao would have been $40 million richer had he accepted the Mayweather offer.
Regardless of what Mayweather would have gotten after PPV revenues, if Pacquiao
did want to make that fight, he would have taken it. But no. Pride or greed? By
declining the purse, Pacquiao put his interest first, not what his fans want.

You have to be a saphead to fully buy his pronouncement--

"Para sa iyo ang laban na ito."

Never has it rung so hollow.

Don't forget, Pacquiao is first a prize fighter--"Teka, teka! Para sa akin muna."

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:56 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Reconn wrote:
funny how Floyd keeps saying Arum is milking Pacquiao but he's really trying to short change him as well.

Best observation....
I noticed that too.... 8)

Floyd wants Manny and Arum broke ties so he could
milk Manny alone!

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:05 pm 
Heavyweight

Now?
I think 1.7M ppv's.
No way it hits 2M.
Do the math from there.
I don't think Floidy would offer Pac 40M now.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:08 pm 
Light Heavyweight

JoeyInCali wrote:
Now?
I think 1.7M ppv's.
No way it hits 2M.
Do the math from there.
I don't think Floidy would offer Pac 40M now.

The Marquez 4 lost will be forgotten once Manny will be able to
bounce back...

Floyd > Marquez > Manny does not count in boxing...
Floyd < Manny is a posibility!