Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:31 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:35 pm 
Heavyweight

The reason why these writers and publications (see below) still believe with The Ring Mag is because of Nigel Collins reputation as a writer and editor not because of the owner.

boxing writers/experts:
Mark Abrams
Carlos Arias
Eric Armit
Bill Calogero
Nick Charles
Brian Doogan
Coyote Duran
J. Michael Falgoust
Steve Farhood
Doug Fischer
Margaret Goodman, M.D.
Lee Groves
Jack Hirsch
Michael Hirsley
Keith Idec
Carlos Irusta
Ted Lerner
Marc Lichtenfeld
Jessi Losado
Scott Mallon
Rich Marotta
David Mayo
Barry McGuigan
Marty Mulcahey
Bernard Osuna
Vittorio Parisi
Matt Richardson
Cliff Rold
Michael Rosenthal
Rick Scharmberg
Don Steinberg
Joe Tessitore
Paul Upham
Claude Vesque
Calvin Watkins
John Whistler
Phil Woolever
Kurt Wolfheimer

publications:
15rounds.com
Orange County Register
British Boxing Yearbook
thedailysports.com
Showtime
London Sunday Times
doghouseboxing.com
USA Today
Showtime
ringtv.com
secondsout.com
CompuBox
Boxing News
Chicago Tribune
Herald News of New Jersey
El Grafico
The Ring
Through The Ropes
Telemundo
asianboxingnews.com
FSN-TV, KFI/KLAC Radio
Grand Rapids Press
ITV
maxboxing.com
Telefutura
nonsoloboxe.it
fightnews.com
boxingscene.com
ringtv.com
fightnews.com
The Philadelphia Inquirer
ESPN
Fist/FSN-TV
Wikipedia Editor
Dallas Morning News
San Antonio Express News
Boxing Digest
fightnews.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:33 pm 
Flyweight

The fight cannot be for the RING title due to the following reasons:

1. Manny Pacquaio is not even rated in the Welterweight division;
2. The RING title is awarded either by beating the current RING champion or if you are rated #1 and you defeated the #2 or #3 rated;

So, if Manny defeats Cotto he might be rated #3 or #2 by the RING, Mosley being rated #1. It would be a good thing if Mosley fights Berto and defeat him to annex the WBC title. Then, if Manny fights Mosley, as Arum mentioned, then Manny-Mosley will be fighting for the WBA, WBC, WBO titles. The winner will probably be awarded by the Welterweight RING title, long considered vacant when Mayweathr retired.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:43 pm 
Light Heavyweight

AngSugo wrote:
I don't think the RING Magazine would stake the RING title on this bout....firstly, they do believe that Shane Mosley and not Miguel Cotto is the rightful lineal champion for the division....second and the most compelling reason why it won't be staked is that the RING Magazine is owned by Golden Boy Promotions thus it would make them look stup1ds if they consider the fight for the RING belt considering they labeled the PBF-Marquez welterweight bout as Number 1 vs. Numero Uno.....

Agree....
GBP have other plans...
As Mosley is the lineal welterweight champ right now.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:05 am 
Middleweight

AngSugo wrote:
dencioPT101 wrote:
i agree that the ring belt will not be at stake but not because it was owned by the golden boy but because they have rules with regards to awarding it. when pbf retired it was declared vacant. based on their existing rules the number 1 contender (mosley) and the number 2 contender (cotto) should face each other for the belt to be awarded.

now one may say that they are biased in placing mosley as number 1 but he got it by beating margarito who beat cotto (although a controversial one). so you see the golden boy not just placed mosley there, the guy earned it.

this is somehow intriguing....why? check the following:

- the last bout of Pacman prior to Hatton was against ODLH.....question, which division did Pacquiao ended up after the Dela Hoya bout? it was a Welterweight bout, right? so logically, Pacquiao should be ranked within the Welterweight division? right?

- when Pacman kayoed Hatton, he was installed as the RING Magazine's Jr. Welterweight champ, right? How come? If we'll follow the RING's rules, the Hatton vs. Pacquiao fight shouldn't have been a fight for the RING belt since Pacman isn't anywhere near the #1 contender for the RING's Jr. Welterweight class, right? then why did the RING ended up awarded the RING title to Pacman for the Jr. Welterweight class?

My above illustration shows that the RING's panel of experts, can change the rules if they wanted to disregarding business biases...what I fail to understand is why Cotto has been ranked lower by RING Magazine than the man he has beaten which is Mosley? The least that they should have done was to rank Cotto and Mosley tied at #1 given the two wins Cotto has chalked up after the Margarito defeat.....

so you still think that the RING magazine is unbiased?

HUMAN ARE BIASED FOR AGES NOW so don't be suprised.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:10 pm 
Light Heavyweight

sayr wrote:

2. The RING title is awarded either by beating the current RING champion or if you are rated #1 and you defeated the #2 or #3 rated;

So, if Manny defeats Cotto he might be rated #3 or #2 by the RING, Mosley being rated #1. It would be a good thing if Mosley fights Berto and defeat him to annex the WBC title. Then, if Manny fights Mosley, as Arum mentioned, then Manny-Mosley will be fighting for the WBA, WBC, WBO titles. The winner will probably be awarded by the Welterweight RING title, long considered vacant when Mayweathr retired.

SAYANG.....If only Mosley-Berto had pushed thru........................... :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:46 pm 
Light Heavyweight

KOWatcher wrote:
sayr wrote:

SAYANG.....If only Mosley-Berto had pushed thru........................... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess everyone missed this.......Posted this 2 years ago RING had confirmed that to get the Ring Championship Belt is for No.1 to fight No. 2 or No.3 then why is it that they are silent now???? :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:52 pm 
Light Heavyweight

el critico wrote:
you people are so obsessed with belts
the welterweight ring mag belt is so undeserving for pacquiao, why not ask fhm to make a belt for pacquiao instead?? :biglaugh:

I WILL MAKE A BELT FOR YOU. TIK TIK NEWSPAPER BELT PARA SAYO