Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:12 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:23 am 
Middleweight

Regardless of the low blows from Cotto were intentional or not, it cannot be denied that he did it a total of five times during a single fight. If it really was accidental, then he should work on his style which would cause him to make such mistakes. If he would continue making such mistakes or errors, it would not speak well of him as a fighter and would only serve to sully his legacy.

Roach's concern would do two things:

1) which others before me already pointed out, it is a form of psy war, which is one aspect of the fight.
2) it would give Cotto pause in making those low blows (whether they were accidental or not). At least this time, he would be more careful than usual to avoid such "mishaps".

Also, i really fail to see where the race card is in all of this. There are always dirty fighters and true fighters in every race. Its not a race thing, its more of a psychological thing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:23 am 
Middleweight

FREDDIE ROACH IS RIGHT THOUGH AND I VE SEEN COTTO FIGHTS YES WHEN THE TOUGH GETS GOING COTTO DOES TEND TO CHEAT.AND THEN HE PRETENDS THAT IT WAS AN ACCIDENT.THE BEST ONE IS WHEN COTTO GOT CLOTTEY IN THE CORNER OF THE RING AND DELIBERETLY PICKED UP CLOTTEY AND BODY SLAMED HIM TO THE RING CANVAS.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:24 am 
Heavyweight

hes just trying to protect hes figther

Learning and progress comes from being open minded.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:39 am 
Light Heavyweight

filipinosupremo wrote:
FREDDIE ROACH IS RIGHT THOUGH AND I VE SEEN COTTO FIGHTS YES WHEN THE TOUGH GETS GOING COTTO DOES TEND TO CHEAT.AND THEN HE PRETENDS THAT IT WAS AN ACCIDENT.THE BEST ONE IS WHEN COTTO GOT CLOTTEY IN THE CORNER OF THE RING AND DELIBERETLY PICKED UP CLOTTEY AND BODY SLAMED HIM TO THE RING CANVAS.

he did it once (the judah fight) and for me that's not sufficient evidence to label him as "a dirty fighter". like i said, its also possible that he was being liberal with judah, who in his last fight unleashed a thunderous low blow of his own against mayweather.

regarding the body slam incident, clottey was the one who started it. he punched cotto in the face.

kidding aside, he found himself cornered so he tried to get cotto in a head lock (sort of like a guillotine hold that fighters sometimes do when the other guy is bent low). cotto only "shed him off", as jim lampley put it. clottey just fell awkwardly.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:50 am 
Cruiserweight

fh_editor wrote:
ROACH PLAYS RACE CARD AND ACCUSES COTTO OF BEING A DIRTY FIGHTER

"Cotto tends to get dirty when the going gets tough in most of his fights and I don't want that to happen," stated world-class trainer Freddie Roach during an interview with Dennis Principe of the Philippine Daily Inquirer. Concerned for his fighters safety in a bout where he's taking on a naturally bigger man, Roach plans on making sure that Cotto won't have any other advantages inside of the ring. "I will make sure the referee will be very strict about it," he continued.

read more

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content5899.html

Race card? What race card? More like nationality card

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:52 am 
Middleweight

JP Cañete wrote:
froiluke wrote:
just a plain psy war from coach! those low blows IMHO were not intentional. :)

Oh really??? Like see his last 5 fights... when he gets tag he hit your balls and pretends he didn't mean it???

Come'on.... get a life homo

Maybe froiluke was referring to FR's "low blows", not MC's.
I haven't seen the whole ZJ fight but on one instance, ZJ was over-reacting. And MC appeared very apologetic. If you ask me, on that particular instance, I don't think MC intended to hit that low.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:57 am 
Middleweight

Psy war or whatever you think Roach thinking but for me its a right decission for him. He's protecting MP same us here in PACLAND protecting MP when somebody said bad things to our idol. 5 successive low blows or even 3 only is already a disqualification because it is obviously he did that for a reason. For me its FR not accusing cotto as a dirty fighter but reminding us all only that any violation from the rules must be implemented.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:44 am 
Middleweight

In what way did Roach play the race card? :?:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:49 am 
Heavyweight

Dapat si KENNY BAYLESS na lang mag ref para fair! :lol:

Muhammad Ali

CIA#07-10-012
PB#453

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:54 am 
Light Heavyweight

thesilentkiller wrote:
JP Cañete wrote:
froiluke wrote:

Oh really??? Like see his last 5 fights... when he gets tag he hit your balls and pretends he didn't mean it???

Come'on.... get a life homo

Maybe froiluke was referring to FR's "low blows", not MC's.
I haven't seen the whole ZJ fight but on one instance, ZJ was over-reacting. And MC appeared very apologetic. If you ask me, on that particular instance, I don't think MC intended to hit that low.

ya.... that was the funny part, hehehehe.. but that doens't exempt him from not hitting the ballz bro..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:04 am 
Middleweight

fh_editor wrote:
ROACH PLAYS RACE CARD AND ACCUSES COTTO OF BEING A DIRTY FIGHTER

"Cotto tends to get dirty when the going gets tough in most of his fights and I don't want that to happen," stated world-class trainer Freddie Roach during an interview with Dennis Principe of the Philippine Daily Inquirer. Concerned for his fighters safety in a bout where he's taking on a naturally bigger man, Roach plans on making sure that Cotto won't have any other advantages inside of the ring. "I will make sure the referee will be very strict about it," he continued.

read more

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content5899.html

Thats the illegal tactics Card. Why do you think Cotto fired his uncle because he forgot to watch Margarito hand wrapping. Coach Roach always wants to protect Pac!! So no low blows Cotto & no coming in overweight!! Coach Roach will make you pay dearly!!!He will tell Pac "Finish Him" hehehe with your "No Look Ninja Punch" hehehe

"Pac's left hand is like a missile, like a rocket, tremendous speed & power , He is a technical fighter now with speed and power, and that Pacquiao is very difficult to beat. If it was difficult before, imagine now". Nacho Beristain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:43 am 
Light Heavyweight

Quote:
ROACH PLAYS RACE CARD; ACCUSES COTTO OF BEING DIRTY

Really, I don't see any race card here. When one can be a race card in opinion? Well, we should be careful with our words or choice of words. Race card is a delicate issue, unless you take it by its contents.
Image Image
these are race but horse race and a card but black jack card. no race card.
this is a low blow but not a race card issue.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:56 am 
Middleweight

"Joe Cortez is Puerto Rican and he's in the running as one of the referees. I don't want him letting Cotto get away with stuff like that. We're going to make an issue out of it first."

He probably shouldn't have said anything about him being Puerto Rican...that implies that a person from the same race or nation is biased. That's like saying Kenny Bayless is African American, therefore, he shouldn't be allowed to referee a Shane Mosley fight.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:13 am 
Heavyweight

8) cool coach....

:snoring:

║▌│█│║▌║││█║▌│
© ΘRIGINAL PRΘFILE ®

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:11 am 
Light Heavyweight

froiluke wrote:

5 low blows when you get wobbled is unintentional? Let somebody punch you 5x of your balls and tell me it's unintentional. Cotto does what he does best at trying times....LOW BLOWS OR WRESTLING MATCH. I do believe he is a good solid boxer but he's undeniably a DIRTY fighter!!!