Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:01 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:43 am 
Heavyweight

Why Margarito is Pacquiao’s roughest fight

By Eddie Alinea
PhilBoxing.com
Wed, 27 Oct 2010

link: http://philboxing.com/news/story-45733.html

Eighteen days before he fights Antonio Margarito for the world super-welterweight crown, Filipino ring hero is still tagged the overwhelming favorite to emerged the winner and further etched his name in boxing’s history as the only man to win an eight world title in as many weight divisions.

The projection is brought about by the way they saw how the reigning welterweight champ reduced Joshua Clottey into a pulp; raining his opponent with more than 300 punches a round all throughout their 12-round duel.

Don’t look now, but had lot of people witnessed the Mexican’s last fight, an impressive triumph over Roberto Garcia that took place in Aguascalientes, Mexico sans the usual television coverage for reason that Margarito couldn't get a license to fight in the United States.

Meaning the last time most fans saw Margarito in real action was sleep walk loss to Shane Mosley two years ago that was marred by controversy it was found out he loaded his gloves with materials to give additional power to his punches

Mosley came out the winner in that fight in a victory that put the “Tijuana Tornado’s” entire career suspect to many sports fans. That he is a cheat, an enigma Margarito wants to erase to get back in the mainstream of the international boxing scene.

Margarito, of course, denied having knowledge of the shameful wraps.

Question is, is he capable of doing that by turning the tables on the “Pacman.”?

Well, for one thing, Margarito is definitely, bigger, taller and heftier that the Filipino speed demon.

Not only that, reports have it that some tough fighters who have done the mitts with Margarito swear the Mexican can hit like a mule -- with or without loaded wraps.

He's also got a great chin, too, they attested. And remember that nobody one had ever knocked out Margarito before Mosley sent him to the canvas for the first time in his career.

Margarito is training hard for his matchup with Manny. Whether the wraps charges are true or not, it cannot be denied that Margarito is a big hitter with a good chin.

Which is why this will be a tough fight for Pacquiao. Probably the toughest he's ever had.

So far Manny has fought the best fighters of his era: Oscar Dela Hoya, Ricky Hatton, Miguel Cotto, Clottey although doubters tend to taint those victories, perhaps for valid reasons. They said Hatton was always over rated, Cotto was too slow for Manny.

Margarito, like Manny’s past victims also struggle with Manny's speed, but unlike Cotto, Antonio is used to being the slowest guy in the ring. That means he's used to adjusting to faster fighters.

On the other hand, Manny isn't used to being hit by a big welterweight. As Clottey showed when he rendered Pacquiao’s face swollen from the very few punches he was able to connect.

Not only that but they're fighting at 151 so Manny can fight for another belt.

Usually a catch weight fight favors the smaller man. But since Margarito has campaigned almost exclusively as a welterweight there won't be any advantage for either man.

It just means, Margarito can come in several pounds heavier than usual. On a frame that can easily handle it.

Then there's the question of Manny's condition. This will be his first fight since being elected as congressman representing his wife Jinkee’s home province Sarangani, spending many weeks campaigning for office.

By all indications though, Manny will win. He's too fast for Margarito and his speed will see him marching triumphantly anew.

He also loves to fight. A trait that has made him one of the all time greats.

But if Margarito catches him flush even once, we going to see if Manny is a real welterweight or a fighter that just caught a bunch of bigger fighters at the downward point of their careers.

That alone should make this one interesting.

Matthew 28:20"I am with you always, even unto the end of the world."
Acts 20:35 "It is more blessed to give than to recieve."
Philippians 4:13"I can do all things through CHRIST which strengtheneth me."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:56 am 
Heavyweight

Margarito DOUTS Pacquiao's Power: 'I Hope He Trades!'

link: http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=32244
By Jhonny Gonzales dtd 27October 2010

Antonio Margarito is very confident of victory. He made an appearance on TV Azteca and proclaimed that he would "KNOCK OUT Manny Pacquiao" on November 13 at Cowboys Stadium in Texas. Margarito is training with Robert Garcia in Oxnard, California. Margarito wants to get revenge for Mexico and all of the fighters from Mexico that Pacquiao beat in the past.

"I want to win this fight and avenge my countrymen who have been defeated by Pacquiao. I have put together the strategy and I will come in a great shape to beat him," Margarito said. "This the biggest fight of my life."

Margarito has DOUBTS about the Power of Pacquiao. He wants a WAR to Break Out in the ring so he can put Pacquiao's power to the test.

"I don't know how strong his punches really are. The best thing about him is his speed and I will neutralize that with good defense and cutting off the ring. That's what I've been preparing for in the gym," Margarito said.

"I will go in to throw punches to win by decision and in turn I will knock him out. I'm well suited for lefties and I've prepared with them in Tijuana and here in Oxnard," he said. "I like to exchange [punches] and I hope he trades with me. I will come well prepared to trade. On November 13 there will be a new world champion. I dedicate this fight to all of the people who believed in me."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:57 am 
Heavyweight

l agree.
Contrary to most people's convictions,
Margo will be tough.
Sure, he is an easy target,
but will Manny's punches affect him?
This guy will constantly be in front of Manny,
considering that he is the bigger fighter, has granite chin and stamina.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:00 am 
Heavyweight

kajo wrote:
l agree.
Contrary to most people's convictions,
Margo will be tough.
Sure, he is an easy target,
but will Manny's punches affect him?
This guy will constantly be in front of Manny,
considering that he is the bigger fighter, has granite chin and stamina.

+Yes bro, very well said.
For sure, this MP-Tony will be a true/real Exciting brawl from the start of the bell to the ko/tko time.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:06 am 
Heavyweight

“I wish people would quit thinking Manny is just going to walk through this guy,” Roach said. “In my mind, this is the toughest fight of his life, by far. He’s the biggest, strongest guy Manny has ever fought. He’s got a big reach advantage. He’s got a lot of things going for him.”

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_yl ... uiao102710

Add to that the fact that Margo is relatively fresh coming form a long layoff.
He'll come in very motivated being that this fight is sort of a redemption for him.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:33 am 
Heavyweight

kajo wrote:
“I wish people would quit thinking Manny is just going to walk through this guy,” Roach said. “In my mind, this is the toughest fight of his life, by far. He’s the biggest, strongest guy Manny has ever fought. He’s got a big reach advantage. He’s got a lot of things going for him.”

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_yl ... uiao102710

Add to that the fact that Margo is relatively fresh coming form a long layoff.
He'll come in very motivated being that this fight is sort of a redemption for him.

+Plus, Tony's 'iron chin'. he was knockdown by s.mosley(his corner threw the towel) BUT never knockout cold like hatton, ddiaz, c.sasakul or l.ledwaba.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:28 am 
Heavyweight

pacman knocks out Marga easily, and Paul Williams gets scared :lol: :lol:, although willing to fight for the money even if he is peeing in his shorts

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:52 am 
Heavyweight

gritsteel2 wrote:
pacman knocks out Marga easily, and Paul Williams gets scared :lol: :lol:, although willing to fight for the money even if he is peeing in his shorts

+imho, MP will beat p.williams @ 147lbs.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:25 am 
Heavyweight

Right, this fight will be the roughest but not the toughest for Pac,
And Marga doubts not douts ( maybe for pronunciation purposes) Pac's power 'till he absorbs them,
Halfway of the fight,Marga won't dout anymore and he'll be lucky to reach round 10 then quits. :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:10 pm 
Heavyweight

Freddie Roach: Manny Pacquiao Broke Sparring Partner's Nose
.10/27/2010 11:33 PM ET By Lem Satterfield

link: http://boxing.fanhouse.com/2010/10/27/f ... ners-nose/

FanHouse: Over the next few days, do you anticipate that any of his sparring partners will include Amir Khan, Julio Cesar Chavez or Vanes Martirosyan or Glen Tapia?

Freddie Roach: Right now, we're using Rashaad Holloway, we have David Rodela, Ray Beltran, and, there was this one other kid from Detroit, but I forget his name right now. But Manny BROKE His NOSE Yesterday, so he's OUT.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:11 pm 
Heavyweight

Manny Pacquiao: 'I Will Be Strong' Against Antonio Margarito
.10/27/2010 8:53 PM ET By Lem Satterfield

LINK: http://boxing.fanhouse.com/2010/10/27/m ... ito/#cntnt

FanHouse: Are you looking to score a knockout over Antonio Margarito, who is bigger and stronger, or will you just go out and box him?

Manny Pacquiao: NO, I'm Not going out to look for the KnockOut. I have prepared myself for a long, tough, difficult fight. You know, I think that everybody will see that I am QUICKER, FASTER and that I am STRONG and ALL of these things. I think that the fans are going to see a great fight on Nov. 13.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:43 pm 
Cruiserweight

Manny: No I am not looking for a knockout.

Manny is only bluffing the media and team Marga,they will not reveal their true plan.

Check all the previous news, statement, declaration from team Pacquiao, the real reason Manny is not as they say concentrating much and also why Roach is cutting short the sparring round session of Manny is because Manny already knew what to do.
8)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:44 pm 
Heavyweight

gin03 wrote:
Manny: No I am not looking for a knockout.

Manny is only bluffing the media and team Marga,they will not reveal their true plan.

Check all the previous news, statement, declaration from team Pacquiao, the real reason Manny is not as they say concentrating much and also why Roach is cutting short the sparring round session of Manny is because Manny already knew what to do.
8)

+Yes bro, Very well said and I agree.
Manny Knows.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:42 am 
Heavyweight

Pacquiao vs Margarito: Explosive and Thrilling Fight
Published on October 29, 2010 by Jeremy Mailman in Sports

Read more: http://sportales.com/sports/pacquiao-vs ... z13moTkE1D

It is a huge physical mismatch like David and Goliath. One of the fighters is thought to be an undeserving challenger to one of the greatest boxers to have emerged in this era. But since the first official announcement of the match-up was made, the opinion of the boxing world is now beginning to change direction. The fight is now perceived to become the most exciting and thrilling fight of the year.

Hands down, Mexican fighter Antonio Margarito is a very exciting fighter. Like Manny Pacquiao, he is an energizer atop the ring. He is an all-offense warrior delivering power punches in volumes non-stop. The fight is now expected to be a thrilling head-on collision of two offense-minded warriors with fists flying all the time.

Many of Margarito’s fights he won by wearing down his opponents through an all-out continuous offense. His defeat with Shane Mosley we can disregard because in that fight, Antonio was a confused and worried fighter. His mind was almost blank after that humiliating hand-wrapping scandal minutes before he climbed the ring. He already lost the fight before he entered the arena. And his fears became a reality for he was suspended for life by the boxing commission. And this has become the big issue in making the match up. The moralists condemns it, but boxing fans and sportswriters who want thrills, excitement and a sure entertaining night are now beginning to approve and buy the fight.

Read more in Sports
« Modern GolfThe Miami Heat: Hot or Cold? »Antonio Margarito is fighting the world’s most entertaining fighter in Manny Pacquiao. Who can forget Manny’s spectacular knockout punch on Ricky “The Hitman” Hatton? How he retired and bloat the face of Oscar de la Hoya? How Manny changed the menacing look of Miguel Cotto into a helpless victim? How he recently turned into an all-night defensive wall Joshua Clottey? Clottey protested his previous big fights but this time he admitted to have lost clearly.

And as we continue to follow HBO’s 24/7’s all-access view of the two fighters’ preparations, the excitement grows more going into the fight. With P4P king Pacquiao’s reported hugely distracted and imperfect training and Margarito’s inspiring and 100 percent focus preparing for the fight, the odds seemed like a 50-50 thing. The betting odds so far is largely in favor of Pacquiao but with the goings on into the fight, it looks like a nobody’s fight

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:35 pm 
Heavyweight

Manny Pacquiao and the FIGHT that has eluded him…
An Article by Ace Freeman dtd 02Nov.2010

Photo: Miguel Salazar
Manny Pacquiao is everything that is good about the sport of boxing as we sit in these most sour and cynical of times late in 2010. Despite the growing drum beat of boxing’s demise in recent years, the sport is as strong as it’s ever been at the elite level, with an active legend universally recognized as its figurehead. Surely the greatest Asian fighter of all time, Pacquiao carries the hefty label of actively fighting as one of the most revered boxers to ever lace up a pair of gloves. He now sits on the verge of winning a title in a record breaking EIGHTH weight class since debuting as a scrawny 106-pounder at age 16.

While he has become a titanic figure on the international sporting landscape he is once again set to play David to Antonio Margarito’s Goliath this Nov. 13 at Cowboys Stadium in Texas when he will challenge the towering Mexican at junior middleweight. That is an unprecedented nine weight divisions from where the Filipino charge originated in 1995.

If you are a boxing fan there’s no doubt you are familiar with the controversies surrounding this mega fight… but that is not what I’m here to talk about. Anyone interested in a kick at that can is welcome to look elsewhere for a plethora of analytical editorials about the fight.

What I’m here to talk about is the FIGHT, not just this particular matchup… but the underlying primal competition that pits man against man in physical combat.

I am a big fan of Manny Pacquiao, and like millions around the world he is one of the key reasons why I remain dialed in to the sport of boxing.

He is a fighter, and as he constantly reminds us with his penchant for very few words when he speaks publicly, his job is only to fight.

It is that primordial FIGHT that has for so long proved elusive to Pacquiao that is foremost on my mind as his next bout approaches.

I remember standing at the now infamous Wild Card Boxing Club in Hollywood in 2008 talking to Freddie Roach about his star fighter possibly eyeing fights with Ricky Hatton and Oscar de la Hoya.

With Pacquiao having just debuted at 135 pounds I specifically asked Roach if welterweight ambitions were just delusions of grandeur. He interrupted my question to assure me that that wasn’t the case before flashing me his all knowing grin.

Just weeks after that conversation I sat ringside watching Antonio Margarito deliver a violent beating to Miguel Cotto in the sweltering Las Vegas heat. In the aftermath of that win Margarito loomed largely as a truly menacing figure, and it seemed unfathomable to think that Manny Pacquiao would ever be anywhere near that physical spectrum.

I sat in awe at the post fight press conference with a round table full of Mexican reporters. We were all still trying to process the violence we had just witnessed.

“Who can possibly stop Margarito? ” they asked each other rhetorically with wide and exasperated eyes.

“There’s only one man I can think of…” I replied with a coy smile, anxious to stir the pot.

They looked at me with growing suspicion.

“Manny Pacquiao…” I replied to a chorus of groans and eye rolling.

At the time I offered the suggestion merely jesting.

Fast Forward two years later and Ricky Hatton and Oscar de la Hoya lay battered and retired in Manny Pacquiao’s rear view mirror.

For good measure, the Filipino phenom also dispatched welterweights Miguel Cotto and Joshua Clottey with relative ease.

Suddenly the thought of the former junior flyweight standing in with Antonio Margarito didn’t seem so far fetched after all.

The boxing landscape has changed dramatically in a short period of time (as it often does).

Margarito was beaten badly by Shane Mosley and spent a year on the sidelines embroiled in controversy after his team was discovered trying to load his hand wraps before the January 2009 loss.

It is since that time that Margarito (who still maintains he had no knowledge of the aforementioned indiscretion) has returned as a junior middleweight.

Despite his fall from grace at welterweight he still remains a daunting physical challenge for the much naturally smaller Pacquiao.

In addition to to the tall order the bruising Mexican brawler presents, Pacquiao is also challenged with preparing himself both mentally and physically while the ever growing storm of activity in his personal life reaches an all time high.

Tugged from all angles by an ever growing entourage and an unlimited number of ventures in his native Philippines, Pacquiao is now an elected congressman in his country and has millions counting on him in that demanding role. All of this is in addition to carrying the heavy burden of fighting physically and figuratively for national pride with his bare hands.

As has become the norm when he is preparing for a fight, stories once again abound that suggest distractions are stalking Pacquiao at every turn.

Reports hint he was spread thin in the early part of his training while in the Philippines. Rumours of head colds and a minor foot injury had many whispering that the Philippines’ national fist is behind the eight-ball in his training for this bout.

These rumours seem to surface every training camp and are just a few examples of the many cautionary tales that have surrounded Pacquiao for years now.

At the end of the day he has always found a way to distance himself on fight night. For it is in the eye of the hurricane that Manny Pacquiao has achieved his greatness.

The voices of the crowd fall silent and the hands constantly tugging from every direction fall by the wayside when he walks up those few steps and climbs between the ropes.

In a sea of change over the last decade the canvas beneath his feet is the one thing that has remained constant.

What was once a temporary escape from poverty and obscurity has now become a momentary pause from celebrity and adulation.

In the ring there is only the FIGHT.

It is the same fight that has been there all his life. It is that spirit of competition and physical combat that has seen Pacquiao rise to prominence over the last decade.

Despite everything on his plate and all the multi tasking, the FIGHT has always been his true calling.

While in recent years we have witnessed the maturing of the wild young brawler into a strategic master of his physical faculties, the hunger for pure combat has remained.

When we see Pacquiao and an opponent engaging in an exchange where both fighters give and take punches, one often notices him clasp both gloves above his head… seemingly inviting his opponent to continue their brief pursuit of trying to out-fight him.

It is a brief pursuit in every sense of the word… for any time they stand to fight with Pacquiao for an extended period of time they often end up hurt, dropped to the canvass, or on the verge of unconsciousness.

Pacquiao’s recent rise through multiple weight classes has been all the more remarkable when taking that in to consideration.

Former undisputed light welterweight champion Ricky Hatton is a perfect example of the stern consequences of attempting to stand and fight Manny Pacquiao.

More recently, Miguel Cotto and Joshua Clottey can attest to the danger and resulting reluctance that come with such a daunting task.

These bigger men were unable and or unwilling to fight Pacquiao…. so the warrior pushes onward, moving up in weight yet again with the hope that someone will stand and pit their fistic prowess against his… punch for punch.

Photo: Top Rank Boxing / David Drebin
Surely, this is no secret to Antonio Margarito.

In fact, it may be music to his ears. The formidable Mexican is no stranger to a slug-fest. He is at his best when he is standing toe to toe with a willing opponent engaging in a fire fight.

Many of Pacquiao’s fans worry (as passionate fans always do) that Margarito’s physical advantages will result in the Pacquiao express finally running into the proverbial wall.

Some contend the Tijuana native is simply too big for Pacquiao to hurt, and too strong for him to absorb punches from.

Margarito and his fans have to believe that is true, because he is certain to stand in the ring with Manny Pacquiao as a fixed target who has little regard for head movement and defense.

In the last year I have expressed my firm belief that Pacquiao can do no wrong from this point on.

What he has accomplished to date is so extraordinary, a loss to such a naturally bigger man would be of little consequence in this scribe’s opinion.

As I said before his fight with Miguel Cotto, I can no longer envision the phenomenal Filipino losing to a better man, only to a much bigger one.

Whether or not Antonio Margarito is that man remains to be seen. He too will enter the ring Nov. 13 looking for combat, and there is a very good chance he will leave it as just another victim.

One thing is certain…as Manny Pacquiao continues to defy the odds by taking on bigger and bigger opponents, sports fans will continue to tune in with great intrigue.

Perhaps one day Pacquiao will have tempted fate once too often and end up biting off more than he can chew. At the end of the day can anyone fault him? He is merely looking for the FIGHT that has eluded him all these years.

Promoted by Top Rank, in association with Cowboys Stadium, MP Promotions and Tecate, Pacquiao vs. Margarito will take place Saturday, November 13 in Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, TX. The $1.2 billion stadium is the largest, most technologically advanced entertainment venue in the world. Pacquiao vs. Margarito will be produced and distributed live on HBO Pay-Per-View, beginning at 9 p.m. ET / 6 p.m. PT.

Remaining Tickets to Pacquiao vs. Margarito are priced at $700, $500, $300, $200, $100, and $50, and can be purchased in-person at the Cowboys Stadium ticket office in Arlington, or by calling Ticketmaster at 800-745-3000. Tickets can also be purchased online at http://www.ticketmaster.com.

HBO’s fast-moving reality series “24/7 Pacquiao/Margarito” returns with an all new episode next Saturday. The four-episode series chronicles the preparations and back stories of both fighters as they train for their November 13 pay-per-view showdown. Previous episodes are available on HBO ON DEMAND.

For Pacquiao vs. Margarito fight week updates, log on to http://www.hbo.com or http://www.toprank.com.

Ace Freeman can be reached at ace@fightfan.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next