Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:15 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:26 pm 
Heavyweight

Sirivasu wrote:

Fake weight? greatest boxer of all time? Hall of famer boxers not great fighters? Why did they put them there if they aren't that great? Top 50 boxers or all time? who's list? American? Mexican? Asian? Akward analogy...
Pacquiao can fight Hearns, Hagler, Leonard right now to make him great on your list if that's your point.
Mayweather great?...yah great hanging on his zero and to chicken to fight mosley, cotto and margarito.
Nice definition of greatness...haha

Duran is a lightweight. delahoya welterweight, barrera,morales & marquez featherweights...of course Duran will own them..
they're lower weight class...stop playing fight night 4 this is real boxing...

Im sorry but I dont quite understand what you said in your first paragraph. Also Roberto Duran fought in the Middleweight division, the same division dela hoya fought in just in case you didnt know.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:11 pm 
Light Heavyweight

my analogy is this.
duran = pacquiao
both bearded and aggressive
leonard = pbfloyd
both black and slick
hearns = williams
both black and tall

pacquiao vs williams will change duran vs hearns story

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:30 pm 
Light Heavyweight

yes there's a lot of similarities between the two inside the ring
& the way the grow to be legends..

both learned the lessons in life through the school of hard knocks..
both got their 1st title at an early age, Pac at 19 while Duran at 21..
Duran's reign of terror at lightweight was backed up by his 12 defenses..
While Pac stormed the feather & super feather by wiping out the top guys..
both jump from one weight to another and another and claim multi-division
champions..

and so on.....

Duran end up as one of the greatest boxer and soon will be Pacquiao..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:45 pm 
Cruiserweight

Tristan Cruz wrote:
yes there's a lot of similarities between the two inside the ring
& the way the grow to be legends..

both learned the lessons in life through the school of hard knocks..
both got their 1st title at an early age, Pac at 19 while Duran at 21..
Duran's reign of terror at lightweight was backed up by his 12 defenses..
While Pac stormed the feather & super feather by wiping out the top guys..
both jump from one weight to another and another and claim multi-division
champions..

and so on.....

Duran end up as one of the greatest boxer and soon will be Pacquiao..

PERIOD.

Larry Merchant
May 24, 2011

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:10 pm 
Heavyweight

hackt wrote:
my analogy is this.
duran = pacquiao
leonard = pbfloyd
both black and slick
hearns = williams
both black and tall

good analogy.

the only glaring stat difference would be william's freakin' long reach, 82". 8)

It takes forever to know everything.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:00 pm 
Middleweight

fil79 wrote:
Reylan wrote:
I totally agree... actually, when Pac was not yet as popular as he is now, I saw the video of the fight between Duran and Barkley. I thought to myself, Duran, in one way or another, fights like Pac... i think i made a comment about that somewhere here in the forums, but that was probably 2006 or so.

it's the other way around Mod reylan since Duran came first before Manny did. :)
Right!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:04 pm 
Light Heavyweight

doubleblade29 wrote:
hackt wrote:
my analogy is this.
duran = pacquiao
leonard = pbfloyd
both black and slick
hearns = williams
both black and tall

good analogy.

the only glaring stat difference would be william's freakin' long reach, 82". 8)

and pacquiao's incredible foot movement...8)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:10 pm 
Middleweight

I do not see any similarities. Duran was fast, however Pac is a little faster. Duran had an animalistic aura, Pac is a gentleman who smiles child-like during fight time. With Duran, you know tha there is gonna be some a$$-kicking, with Pac you never really know how the fight's gonna turn out. In fact, most boxing insiders and many fans fear that Pacman's a$$ is gonna get whooped, prior to fighting bigger men. Pac fights more stylistically, while Duran is more brute force. Only the end result of their fights are similar, but everything else before that is not, IMHO....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:45 pm 
Middleweight

fil79 wrote:
It's too bad Roberto Duran did that "No Mas" thing on his second fight with Ray leonard but Duran is still a legend. He was mean and uber aggressie whenn he was still in his prime and he literally destroys his opponents. Watch his career highlight videos on youtube and you'll see what I mean. Roberto Duran and the Pacman has some similarities like agressiveness, ferocity and relentlessness and both have a killer instinct. They still have different style though and I think Duran has more of that one punch KO power than Manny does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gac4u7iqclk&feature=fvw

I can noot see any similarities except only the mustache, Duran also a boring fighter. No one can compare to Manny. He is totally an exiting fighter!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:00 pm 
Welterweight

They are both aggressive but Pacquiao's aggression is beyond compare. Duran is more like Julio Cesar Chavez. Pacquiao has a unique style as he moves in and out and all of a sudden you'll see 5 to 6 punch combination. I'd probably say Pacquiao is similar to Bruce Lee, he just circle around and at a split second opening wtaaaaa!!!! there goes Bruce's.
But for sure one thing is common to them. They were both poor kids and when they got rich and famous politicians swarm around them. The difference was that Duran drowned with his popularity and would balloon to 180 lbs in between fights as he dine and drink with politicos. At least Pacquiao hasn't gone that far just yet in his out of the ring adventures.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:25 pm 

fil79 wrote:
Reylan wrote:
I totally agree... actually, when Pac was not yet as popular as he is now, I saw the video of the fight between Duran and Barkley. I thought to myself, Duran, in one way or another, fights like Pac... i think i made a comment about that somewhere here in the forums, but that was probably 2006 or so.

it's the other way around Mod reylan since Duran came first before Manny did. :)

Hehehe yeah you got me there, bro fil... :d

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:41 pm 
Light Heavyweight

7 world titles in 7 weight Division...!!!

Manny Pacquiao is greater than Roberto Duran...!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:15 am 
Lightweight

rudeored wrote:
They are both aggressive but Pacquiao's aggression is beyond compare. Duran is more like Julio Cesar Chavez. Pacquiao has a unique style as he moves in and out and all of a sudden you'll see 5 to 6 punch combination. I'd probably say Pacquiao is similar to Bruce Lee, he just circle around and at a split second opening wtaaaaa!!!! there goes Bruce's.
But for sure one thing is common to them. They were both poor kids and when they got rich and famous politicians swarm around them. The difference was that Duran drowned with his popularity and would balloon to 180 lbs in between fights as he dine and drink with politicos. At least Pacquiao hasn't gone that far just yet in his out of the ring adventures.

People complain of Pac's outside hobbies, but I think they're great distractions for a boxer of his caliber. Better than drinking and smoking. He play's darts, karaoke, chess and basketball. They even contribute to his boxing in terms of hand-eye coordination in darts, mental preparation with chess, breathing control singing karaoke (and bravery) and lateral movement in basketball.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:47 am 
Cruiserweight

Duran the lightweight vs. Pacquiao the lightweight .... Duran wins that fight. Most of the Duran fights you've seen was when he moved up and seemed to slow down a bit.

A welterweight Pacquiao vs a welterweight Duran... I think Manny wins that fight. Besides by then Duran has been corrupted by money.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:50 am 
Welterweight

erik_marquez wrote:
when Duran fought a champion it's the "real" weight of the champion, no catchweight at all. besides he fought 3 of the greatest boxers of all time Hearns, Hagler, Leonard. Pacquiao hasn't fought a great fighter yet maybe his upcoming fight with Mayweather. Dela Hoya, Barrera, Marquez, Morales they are hall of famers but they don't belong to the top 50 greatest boxers of all time.

The same can be say of mayweather. What GOAT, has he fought?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next