Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:40 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:31 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Any torrents? I've gotta have this for my collection...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:43 pm 
Light Heavyweight

God bless you RN! :D

" Manny Pacquiao has beaten more Latinos than the police! "

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:04 am 
Middleweight

Sonsona's style reminds of the style of Luisito Espinosa. This kid has very good petential. He has a big heart and puts convicition on every punch. But let's face it, he is very raw. He needs a lot of refinement in every division except power. He relies heavily on his left hand. Just like a one dimensional Pacquiao before. Judging from the way he fights, I can see that he is an "attack" type of boxer. I think he will benefit so much if he trains with Roach. Donaire Sr. has not corrected his bad habits like being open when he delivers his left straight and momentarily in a stop mode when he missed his target making him vulnerable to a counter hook or an uppercut. His stance is so wide. His right is really useless. Judging from this fight, I am not convinced that Donaire Sr. is a good trainer. The bad habits of Nonito Donaire are seen copied by Sonsona in this fight. The typical Donaire stance of lowering his left hand keeping his head open is aped by Sonsona in this fight. We are all lucky, Lopez is not an elite fighter. If he is an elite fighter, Sonsona's weakness could have been exploited.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:02 am 
Middleweight

Gil P. Acosta wrote:
Sonsona's style reminds of the style of Luisito Espinosa. This kid has very good petential. He has a big heart and puts convicition on every punch. But let's face it, he is very raw. He needs a lot of refinement in every division except power. He relies heavily on his left hand. Just like a one dimensional Pacquiao before. Judging from the way he fights, I can see that he is an "attack" type of boxer. I think he will benefit so much if he trains with Roach. Donaire Sr. has not corrected his bad habits like being open when he delivers his left straight and momentarily in a stop mode when he missed his target making him vulnerable to a counter hook or an uppercut. His stance is so wide. His right is really useless. Judging from this fight, I am not convinced that Donaire Sr. is a good trainer. The bad habits of Nonito Donaire are seen copied by Sonsona in this fight. The typical Donaire stance of lowering his left hand keeping his head open is aped by Sonsona in this fight. We are all lucky, Lopez is not an elite fighter. If he is an elite fighter, Sonsona's weakness could have been exploited.

good observation bro.. He's a very promising, but he still got a lot of homework to do.. Good Luck to Sonsona!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:06 am 
Heavyweight

Gil P. Acosta wrote:

oh come on donaire sr. only trained him for months. it's not as if he trained the boy from the start.
"We are all lucky, Lopez is not an elite fighter." i highly doubt this was your line of thinking before the sonsona vs lopez fight happened as no one ever thought he could win.and don't tell me donaire was lucky, and darchinyan isn't an elite fighter. mind you, donaire jr and sonsona became champions under donaire sr.
now i have seen many presumed as the next pacquiao fighters, they have better jab's than this kid, they keep their hands up but on their championship fights they lost. what you said about sonsona being lucky because lopez isn't an elite fighter can also be used also in banal's case. rafael concepcion was also perceived as NOT an elite fighter, banal had better jabs,keeps his defense up unlike sonsona but why did he lose? that's because you cannot deny the kid has many intangible positives that you seldom see on other boxers. his heart,power,stamina for someone who hasn't fought past 5rounds,tough chin - all these traits cannot be achieved through training. the flaws he has can be corrected through training. i'd rather have that, than someone who has better skills in jabs,defense but doesn't have all or any of these - no heart, tough chin, power, for you can't gain any of these through training.