Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:45 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:34 am 
Heavyweight

I think Sonsona has matured a lot and learned his lessons well since their first match. I'm betting on a late-fight KO.

Ayoha gyud, Dodong Marvin, kay dako na kaayo nimo ning chance nga mahimong big-time boxer.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:18 am 
Heavyweight

SONSONA READY TO KNOCK OUT VAZQUEZ

Springing from the lowest time of his life, Sonsona is now 100% prepared for the fight that will resurrect his stagnant career – a rematch against Puerto Rican Wilfredo Vazquez Jr. at the Madison Square Garden in New York City.

“3 months yung preparation namin. We concentrated on our game plan,” said coach and trainer Jun Agrabio.

The 24-year-old fighter, is confident he will hit 126 pounds before the fight, that will be on the undercard of the Sergio Martinez-Miguel Cotto match.

Compared to other famous Filipino boxers, Agrabio said, “Iba si Marvin, iba si Pacquiao, Donaire at iba pang mga fighters natin. May sarili siyang estilo.”

Sonsona confirmed he developed a new style for this fight. Four years ago in 2010, the former WBO super flyweight titlist Sonsona (18-1-1, with 15 KOs) lost by knockout just in the fourth round to Vazquez (23-3-1, with 19 KOs) for the WBO super bantamweight crown.

As for his game plan, Sonsona said, “Kusang darating yung knock out punch. Sa tingin ko sa huling rounds lalabas yung killer punch.” He also clarified that he is not the “bad boy” from Dadiangas.

“Si Navarette na ‘yun. I am “Marvelous” Marvin, isang mabait na anak sa isang masayang pamilya ng mga magsasaka sa Gensan,” he added.

Sonsona thanked his promoter Top Rank and Bob Arum for the trust and opportunity. He also asked the Filipino people to pray for him and all Filipino fighters.

http://philboxing.com/news/story-96155.html

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:35 am 
Heavyweight

Marvin Sonsona looks confident here. His physique reminds me of Nonito Donaire, lanky but still with baby fat.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:41 am 
Heavyweight

Marvin Sonsona of the Philippines (R) and Wilfredo Vazquez Jr of Puerto Rico (L) both came in 125.8 lbs during the official weighin held at The Theatre of the Madison Square Garden Arena Friday afternoon.

http://philboxing.com/news/story-96166.html

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:51 am 
Heavyweight

Sonsona was young then and i thought was not ready. Even if he wins this fight which i think he will. The featherweight division is talent rich. Walters, Vetyeka and Donaire. Sonsona needs to improve 2x to be competitive in this division.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:01 am 
Heavyweight

Numero uno wrote:
Sonsona was young then and i thought was not ready. Even if he wins this fight which i think he will. The featherweight division is talent rich. Walters, Vetyeka and Donaire. Sonsona needs to improve 2x to be competitive in this division.

Yes, I think Sonsona is much better this time and should win it. If he wins by wide margin or KO, the odds are that he would be competitive against the bests of the featherweight division: Jhonny Gonzales, Abner Mares, Nicholas Walters.

Sonsona is actually one of our best raw boxing talents, and with proper guidance, he will go far. I think he will beat Vetyeka, no problem. Walters? Let's find out. Donaire? No, we need all our champions fighting other nationalities. We don't have that many highly ranked fighters like Mexico and the United States.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:18 am 
Cruiserweight

I'll stick my neck out and call it a stoppage (KO or TKO) for Sansona in the 8th. When, not if, Sansona catches Vazquez with his flash and vicious left uppercut, it's lights out for Vazquez. But Sansona should not be so eager beaver with it because Vasquez will be watching and waiting to counter.

Sansona should jab and box in the early rounds. I think he has the edge on reach and should not pose a problem. He should frustrate Vasquez by not showing it early. Set up Vasquez by letting him get used to coming forward (when that flash, paralyzing left uppercut has a much better chance of landing). When the trap is set, perhaps in the mid-to-latter rounds, then throw that BOMB right smack on his jaw. Bet Vasquez doesn't beat the count.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:22 pm 
Light Heavyweight

8 in 8 wrote:
I'll stick my neck out and call it a stoppage (KO or TKO) for Sansona in the 8th. When, not if, Sansona catches Vazquez with his flash and vicious left uppercut, it's lights out for Vazquez. But Sansona should not be so eager beaver with it because Vasquez will be watching and waiting to counter.

Sansona should jab and box in the early rounds. I think he has the edge on reach and should not pose a problem. He should frustrate Vasquez by not showing it early. Set up Vasquez by letting him get used to coming forward (when that flash, paralyzing left uppercut has a much better chance of landing). When the trap is set, perhaps in the mid-to-latter rounds, then throw that BOMB right smack on his jaw. Bet Vasquez doesn't beat the count.

This would probably be the scenario tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:04 pm 
Welterweight

If Sonsona will use his jab effectively, his reach advantage, move around and throw combos with his right straight together with his lethal upper cuts, he can win the fight easily to the point he doesn't need and expect a knockout to win the fight. Vasquez Jr. style is known for his slugging and belt to belt style of fighting where he uses his strength and goes to the body. He has a descent jab and has power in both hands but has lost 3x since the Sonsona fight one of them against Donaire. His approach should be well planned and must contain Sonsona on the ropes and attack the body. He has the crownd behind him during the fight and he can use that to his morale.
As for GenSan native, His fighting style has matured and changed since their 1st fight and if he can apply and follow their game plan on fight night.The lanky Fililpino can dominate the fight.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:17 pm 
Middleweight

As i saw it, i am not totally favoring Sonsona, just look and compare how their bodies were trimmed, it is very obvious that Vasquez was well conditioned, than him. Hope he's not just depending on luck, like what he did to tha Jap. Remember, he was way behind when he knocked the guy out. So, what i mean is a de javu doesn't happen all the time. Skill and style win the fights. Anyway, i wish him luck and win the fight.... 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:39 pm 
Heavyweight

astig_119 wrote:
As i saw it, i am not totally favoring Sonsona, just look and compare how their bodies were trimmed, it is very obvious that Vasquez was well conditioned, than him. Hope he's not just depending on luck, like what he did to tha Jap. Remember, he was way behind when he knocked the guy out. So, what i mean is a de javu doesn't happen all the time. Skill and style win the fights. Anyway, i wish him luck and win the fight.... 8)

The fighters' physique don't mean shet in combat sports, bro.

It's not a Mr. Olympia competition. The fighter with the better training, better game plan, faster hands and feet, and bigger heart will win. Not the guy with the better-looking body.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:40 pm 
Middleweight

astig_119 wrote:

Look how Bradley's body also ripped during weigh-in only to be ripped by Pac on fight night.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:48 pm 
Middleweight

theDon wrote:
astig_119 wrote:

It's not a Mr. Olympia competition. The fighter with the better training, better game plan, faster hands and feet, and bigger heart will win. Not the guy with the better-looking body.

Yeah ok, just my opinion bro, i did say skill and style win fights, not only physique, but you are partly wrong saying not the physique wins fights, did you see how Manny go down in pac-mar 4? Manny was winning the fight ain't it? That's my point bro... :o

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:03 am 
Heavyweight

astig_119 wrote:
theDon wrote:
astig_119 wrote:

Yeah ok, just my opinion bro, i did say skill and style win fights, not only physique, but you are partly wrong saying not the physique wins fights, did you see how Manny go down in pac-mar 4? Manny was winning the fight ain't it? That's my point bro... :o

Exactly my point. The fighter with better physique may win or not.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:24 am 
Heavyweight

Yes, Sonsona got the win, but it was a snoozefest. He did not gain any fans with his performance. Too bad, really. I can compare this fight to Pacquiao vs. Barrera and Donaire vs. Darchinyan in terms of significance in Sonsona's career path. But he blew it with a subpar performance.

There may not be a next time, Dong Marvin. Just hope a big-time promoter gives you one more chance to shine.