Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:29 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:49 pm 
Heavyweight

Just sharing my observation here. And I think he's going to lose this rematch which
will (again) highlight how our trainers back in PI don't get about boxing, in improving
from a rematch, in the style of the opponent or studying the opponent, etc.

Why did they put him back to a rematch, did they see an improvement in Marvin? Is
it because he knocked out Shimoda? One of the reason he got knocked out by Vas-
quez is because he was waiting too much that he forgot to put combinations. You got
to be busy "always" with a seasoned fighter. Otherwise, he will figure you out or put
up his gameplan on you.

From the last time I saw him with Shimoda, he was back on his old ways of waiting
and headhunting. You do that style with a seasoned fighter you get the same results.

I'm not hating on the guy. We even have similar names. I'm not saying he cannot pull
it off, nothing is certain on boxing. But if Sonsona likes to just counterpunch, he can
do a Marquez style but I don't think his counterpunching is that comprehensive or di-
verse as Marquez's. O well, I hope he proves me wrong.

I'm just feel that its a big waste of talent. We need to nurture and develop such things,
hard punchers like Marvin don't come by too often.

Vasquez by TKO. In less that 6 rounds

Victory loves Preparation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:57 pm 
Cruiserweight

You don't have to be sorry if you are correct.
But you will feel sorry if Marvin proves you wrong - which I think he will...

╚╝╚╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩═╩╩╩╩╩═╝

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:10 pm 
Heavyweight

wooks425 wrote:

if a person is not sick in the head, he knows that anything can happen in boxing with just one punch. so to predict who wins with certainty even including what round and by tko, i think one is just trying hard to gather attention towards himself.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:11 pm 
Heavyweight

Nurture Marvin ? He already grew up, literally, let him go chase the dream. If the promoter puts him in a high profile world title contender fight, just accept it. Now such an opportunity is hard to come by, while there are a lot of hard punchers around. If he can grab it and succeed, great; otherwise, back to the drawing board. It can also mean he will be exposed as not world-class at this stage.

Let us see him fight, Filipino chants will be drowned by the mostly Puerto Rican crowd. Let's just hope he is mentally prepared and it seems he had a disciplined camp.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:38 pm 
Heavyweight

gritsteel2 wrote:
Nurture Marvin ? He already grew up, literally, let him go chase the dream. If the promoter puts him in a high profile world title contender fight, just accept it. Now such an opportunity is hard to come by, while there are a lot of hard punchers around. If he can grab it and succeed, great; otherwise, back to the drawing board. It can also mean he will be exposed as not world-class at this stage.

Let us see him fight, Filipino chants will be drowned by the mostly Puerto Rican crowd. Let's just hope he is mentally prepared and it seems he had a disciplined camp.

This is what I mean about not having a clue. Nurture as in nurturing the talent in
the ring. We are only talking boxing here. We gotta focus here. We can't just get
carried away by a couple of sensational knockouts. Compared how seasoned fight-
ers do business in the ring, Marvin is just learning how to walk.

If you don't see what I see, then let's just watch what happens tonight.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:39 pm 
Heavyweight

Of course I will admit I'm wrong if he wins tonight (not including gross scoring which do happen occasionally)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:46 pm 
Heavyweight

wooks425 wrote:

I will raise my beer if he wins and celebrate.

Then, if he can, spar more with US boxers or the boxers in Tijuana gyms.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:58 pm 
Heavyweight

Cybiryan wrote:
gritsteel2 wrote:

This is what I mean about not having a clue. Nurture as in nurturing the talent in
the ring. We are only talking boxing here. We gotta focus here. We can't just get
carried away by a couple of sensational knockouts. Compared how seasoned fight-
ers do business in the ring, Marvin is just learning how to walk.

If you don't see what I see, then let's just watch what happens tonight.

That's what I meant, just not explicitly, you just didn't get it, which is fine as some folks don't have a clue unless explicitly told to them.

Anyway, for me, enough boxing talent nurturing when the opportunity is there, not because of the sensational KOs. He was already fighting in small-time arenas, getting nurtured. Here comes the promoter risking his investment, two of them, Sonsona and Martinez (who I think will lose).

I see what you see, it's just that I don't concur with you. We shall see tomorrow, it's exciting, isn't it ? If he loses, at least he can say he grabbed the opportunity and tried, and he can come back again, he is still growing. It's not the end, but it seems you think it will be the end (I may be wrong of course). In his last fight, he also grabbed the opportunity and I think he canceled one of his nurturing fights that paid peanuts. This fight with Vasquez is the result of his last opportunity grab, he has to take it, he worked for it. In a way, being in the big stage against good fighters is a way of training too :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:16 am 
Middleweight

Good observation regarding the styles.
I like Marvin too, he's special but raw.
Vasquez killed him with body shots and from the pictures it doesn't seem Marvin has improved his mid section. Also against Shimoda i think Marvin lost a lot of exchanges, that uppercut saved his ***.
But i wish him well.

"Lennox Lewis, I'm coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!" - Baddes Man on Earth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:19 pm 
Lightweight

Many people are dissapointed but he prove you wrong TS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:10 pm 
Middleweight

Dito natin makikita kung may bay@g si Cybiryan.

A true gentleman will always accept defeat.

Cybiryan, a simple " I am sorry I was wrong will be enough.... "

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:17 pm 
Light Heavyweight

ogag

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:40 pm 
Heavyweight

congrats Marvin Sonsona. that is a great fight and an even greater win. huwag mo pansinin mga nainggit sayo. your a great kid. keep it up

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:37 pm 
Featherweight

so what now TS? :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:40 pm 
Heavyweight

mandopacman wrote:
wooks425 wrote:

if a person is not sick in the head, he knows that anything can happen in boxing with just one punch. so to predict who wins with certainty even including what round and by tko, i think one is just trying hard to gather attention towards himself.

+1