Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:57 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:33 pm 
Light Heavyweight

same as WWE

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:46 pm 
Heavyweight

no... the boxers are not obligated... but the fans expect them to do so... and it's the fans' support that ultimately determines the marketability of a boxer... so it's up to the boxer to pick it up from there...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:47 pm 
Light Heavyweight

etradingcenter wrote:
dont forget to visit http://megaworldcenter.com/

The thought of fighters being entertaining for the fans has been mulling around my noggin for awhile now. This past weekend really got the gears in my head going after watching Joshua Clottey cover up and hide for 12 rounds against Manny Pacquiao.

While this made for a very boring fight it was the right move by Clottey. John Mabasa covered that very well in his article Boring or Not, Joshua Clottey Fought the Right Fight Against Manny Pacquiao (which I suggest you check out).

This brings me back to my main point, do boxers have to entertain us? There are boxers who have to fight entertaining fights because that’s all they can do. Guys like Arturo Gatti, Juan Urango, and Ricky Hatton usually have to make entertaining fights to have a shot to win.

Then you have guys like Yuri Foreman, Ivan Calderon, and Paulie Malignaggi who have no choice but to use their technical boxing skills to get the victory. Then you have the guys who seem to frustrate fans the most, the guys who can fight but choose not to.

These include guys like Floyd Mayweather Jr., Joshua Clottey, and Wladimir Klitschko.
Then there is the rarest of them all, the guys who could sit back but fight fan friendly anyway.

Off the top of my head I can only think of a few of these fighters. This very short list includes Manny Pacquiao, Juan Manuel Marquez (in these later years), and Juan Manuel Lopez.

Those are the four categories that I put each fighter into. You can excuse the lack of punchers because well they can’t punch, they have no other choice. So that brings me to the guys who can fight and choose not to for whatever reason.

Most of the time these fighters just have the physical advantage over their opponents and figure why put myself into trouble when I dominate them with my advantages. Truth be told (I may get ripped for this) but I have no problem with that.

Why should a guy put his face in danger of being collapsed in with a punch when he doesn’t need to? We as fan forget that boxing is a business and this is the fighters job.

When I go to work, or when you go to work do you do things the easiest way possible or do you go out of your way to make the task at hand hard?

Of course you can make the argument that millions of people don’t show up to ours jobs and watch us for entertainment. With that being said though, I still believe that boxers do not need to be entertaining every fight.

The two best fighters in the world right now are Mayweather Jr. and Pacquiao. For the most part you love one and hate the other, most of the Mayweather detractors point to his lack of an exciting style. For the record I like both fighters and enjoy watching both.

Pacquiao comes out and says I fight for the fans. Mayweather comes out and says I fight for the money. So we know Mayweather isn’t interested in making fights exciting or making fans happy. You may think why would you defend someone who has that thought process.

I understand why you would think that way. I defend it because he is making a living and he is doing it with ease. Why should he wade in and take punches when he can use his speed, defense, and reflexes to win?

No doubt there needs to be entertaining fighters for boxing to survive but every fighter doesn’t need to be exciting. Someone like Klitschko gets slammed over and over because his style isn’t very exciting. It is warranted by for the most part he has such physical advantages over his opponents, why take chances?

He gets slammed because he is a heavyweight and since these men are so big they are “required” to fight with reckless abandon and knock everyone out. Well that would be nice but some fighters just don’t want to do that.

Also factor in that taking extreme punishment causes health issues later and maybe not taking punishment is the smart thing to do. These guys have family and life after boxing to think about.

I have no problem with a guy who can beat his opponent while taking minimal damage because it may preserve his health so he can enjoy life after boxing.

Also if you are truly a boxing purist watching a skilled technician is a joy beyond words. To watch a James Toney do his thing or a Bernard Hopkins is, to me, an immense joy.

Many people may disagree with this stance, and I see why and I respect that. If you have the physical advantages and would rather be safe in a victory then reckless in a loss then I have no problem with you, or your style.

So that’s what I think, how about you?

what the F@#uCk! Wladimir Klitschko can fight but choose not to? you are comparing him to Clotty? maybe the freakin writer is out of his mind! the last time i check in Wladimir fight its either he got knocked out coz he is fighting back or he knocked out his opponent! and u compare him to Clotty? the writer must be out of his mind! Wladimir always brutally knocked or punish his opponents what else are u asking for?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOjrfL3Hu_8

watch his Fight how can u compare him to Clotty?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:59 pm 
Heavyweight

adrian32 wrote:
no... the boxers are not obligated... but the fans expect them to do so... and it's the fans' support that ultimately determines the marketability of a boxer... so it's up to the boxer to pick it up from there...

:drinking:

It takes forever to know everything.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:38 pm 
Heavyweight

have to entertain

Learning and progress comes from being open minded.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:42 pm 
Light Heavyweight

"Are you not entertained?!?" -Gladiator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:38 pm 
Light Heavyweight

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:40 am 
Cruiserweight

Quote:
Guys like Arturo Gatti, Juan Urango, and Ricky Hatton usually have to make entertaining fights to have a shot to win.

it doesn't make sense to me...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:01 am 
Heavyweight

why are boxing matches shown to the public if not for entertainment?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:11 am 
Middleweight

fuego wrote:
same as WWE

I dont know you have a good side. This post tops all of your post. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:37 am 
Heavyweight

This is entertainment... :lol:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tanong lang baklitang radeona, nasa WORLD CUP na ba yung mga fafa mo?

Ay eto pa, nasa ASIAN CUP na ba yung mga fafa mo?