Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:40 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:02 am 
Heavyweight

CLOTTEY FIGHT PPV TAKE ELATES PACQUIAO
By Roy Luarca, Philippine Daily Inquirer, First Posted 03:06:00 03/23/2010
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MANILA, Philippines—The pay-per-view (PPV) buys from Manny Pacquiao’s last fight against Joshua Clottey are good enough for the Filipino champ.

Pacquiao said he’s “happy” with unofficial reports that his March 13 battle with the Ghanaian challenger held at the Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas, drew a low estimate of 650,000 and a high of over 800,000 hits.

Pacquiao said the PPV figures of 500,000 would have been “enough.”

Interviewed by GMA 7 during his flight back to Manila from Los Angeles early Monday, Pacquiao said The Event cannot be compared with his last three megabuck bouts with American Oscar De La Hoya, Briton Ricky Hatton and Puerto Rican Miguel Cotto, which drew at least a million PPV buys each.

Pacquiao’s eighth-round stoppage of De La Hoya netted 1.25 million PPV buys while his two-round demolition of Hatton cornered a million PPV, according to HBO.

But it was his 12th-round knockout of Cotto which lifted Pacquiao to PPV superstar status. The fight had 1.4 million buys worth $70 million.

Promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank said Pacquiao was the sole selling point of The Event.

http://sports.inquirer.net/professional ... s-Pacquiao

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:04 am 
Heavyweight

That's a big gap.....which is close to the real figure.

I thought that for a fight with one marquee name, without a 24/7, and really just 6 weeks to promote.....700K is a great number.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:10 am 
Heavyweight

8)watching manny hit the punching bag? thats cool fair enough

║▌│█│║▌║││█║▌│
© ΘRIGINAL PRΘFILE ®

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:48 am 
Light Heavyweight

700k ppv buys is successful. clottey didn't have any fans.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:02 am 
Middleweight

Too bad Mayweather-Mosley is gonna break 2 million.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:28 am 
Middleweight

Ultimate Boxing Fan wrote:
CLOTTEY FIGHT PPV TAKE ELATES PACQUIAO
By Roy Luarca, Philippine Daily Inquirer, First Posted 03:06:00 03/23/2010
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MANILA, Philippines—The pay-per-view (PPV) buys from Manny Pacquiao’s last fight against Joshua Clottey are good enough for the Filipino champ.

Pacquiao said he’s “happy” with unofficial reports that his March 13 battle with the Ghanaian challenger held at the Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas, drew a low estimate of 650,000 and a high of over 800,000 hits.

Pacquiao said the PPV figures of 500,000 would have been “enough.”

Interviewed by GMA 7 during his flight back to Manila from Los Angeles early Monday, Pacquiao said The Event cannot be compared with his last three megabuck bouts with American Oscar De La Hoya, Briton Ricky Hatton and Puerto Rican Miguel Cotto, which drew at least a million PPV buys each.

Pacquiao’s eighth-round stoppage of De La Hoya netted 1.25 million PPV buys while his two-round demolition of Hatton cornered a million PPV, according to HBO.

But it was his 12th-round knockout of Cotto which lifted Pacquiao to PPV superstar status. The fight had 1.4 million buys worth $70 million.

Promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank said Pacquiao was the sole selling point of The Event.

http://sports.inquirer.net/professional ... s-Pacquiao

Again the PPV numbers reported by HBO seems to be fishy. HBO released the numbers thru Dan Rafael as 700K (actually 715K) after it was reported previously that Pacquiao was quoted as 'happy' to have 500K is enough.

The breakdown was 365,0000 from cables
310,0000 from satellites
40,000 from other
Total 715,000 PPV

IMO it's been manipulated by HBO & Top Rank. Why? Last week Bob Arum of Top Rank said that initially it was 650,000 PPVs from satellite companies, he was waiting for the reports from cable companies. There are 75M homes that subscribe to HBO in USA. Almost 50% belong to cables and 50% to satellites. I suspect that there should be more than 300K PPV coming from the cables alone. Instead HBO split 615K to the above figures. Do you get it?

If I were Manny Pacquiao, I'll command his lawyer and his accountant to check the corporate tax return that HBO and Top Rank submits to IRS regarding this matter, if team Pacquiao is really smart. Do not be satisfied with just 500K PPV as said to Pacquiao by Top Rank.

I don't think that HBO and Top Rank make a lot more money than Pacquiao and Clottey.

Any idea?

Maybe we need Brad Cone (assuming he works as a computer analyst inside IRS) to peep at the HBO & Top Rank corporate income tax returns for 2010 next year.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:08 am 
Light Heavyweight

i guessed 750K but it turned out to be 700K. mayweather/mosely will double that....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:41 am 
Light Heavyweight

Pacquiao doesnt have a good dancing partner.

mosley is a good dancing partner for mayweather
so as JMM before to mayweather.

it will be shameful to see mayweather having a lower amount money earned compared to pacquiao if he have mosley, trashtalking, and hbo advertisement with longer fight hype plus the americans watching considering both fighters are americans.

mayweather can't boast unless he reached more than the double of the amount earned by pacquiao.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:55 am 
Middleweight

hackt wrote:

it will be shameful to see mayweather having a lower amount money earned compared to pacquiao if he have mosley, trashtalking, and hbo advertisement with longer fight hype plus the americans watching considering both fighters are americans.

mayweather can't boast unless he reached more than the double of the amount earned by pacquiao.

I guess as long as Floyd brags about his PPV numbers exceed those of Pacquiao's and the people acknowledging it and it makes the business of boxing good for HBO and GBP and Top Rank, I can understand it, it's money business. But the truth is what IRS and Brad Cone see on the real corporate income tax document after the 1st quarter of the year.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:58 am 
Heavyweight

I wonder if Floyd could break the 700K PPV figure if he fights Clottey at Dallas! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:12 am 
Light Heavyweight

imakaiw wrote:
I wonder if Floyd could break the 700K PPV figure if he fights Clottey at Dallas! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Floyd defense vs Clottey defense => slumberland(unless clottey will get scared of mayweather's punches as what he was with pacquiao)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:52 am 
Cruiserweight

against the grain wrote:
i guessed 750K but it turned out to be 700K. mayweather/mosely will double that....

if pac were to fight mosley.. i think ppv will be greater than pbf/mosley..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:53 am 
Middleweight

hackt wrote:

Cotto brings more PPV than Mosley does. He's never been the A-side of any fight so if they break 1.2 (Pacquiao-Cotto PPV mark), then it's safe to say Floyd will not go for a 50-50 with Pac. Doesn't matter though, cuz Mayweather-Mosley will probably triple Pacquiao-Clottey.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:32 am 
Middleweight

Pacquiao is the Moneymaker.....Come on Floyd Let's Get it on.

please read:

http://pacquiao-vs-mayweather.zxq.net/