Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:51 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:22 am 
Lightweight

^
Yeah banana trees. But we don't have banana trees in here.

Btw, we had a community service last year ( i was 4th yr hs then :) ) sa special education branch ng school namin and there were lots of banana trees kasi nga may farm dun, guess what! I kicked 'em! Actually I didn't just kick em, I kicked till it went down lol. Good thing I had accomplices no one noticed it.

Bro Juramentado, may I ask what discpline are you practicing? :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:28 am 
Strawweight

:D :D :D Margarito is the real copy king,he wanted to copy the styles of pacman to beat him.sadly though it didnt materialized. 8) :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:39 am 
Cruiserweight

chevalier wrote:
^
Yeah banana trees. But we don't have banana trees in here.

Btw, we had a community service last year ( i was 4th yr hs then :) ) sa special education branch ng school namin and there were lots of banana trees kasi nga may farm dun, guess what! I kicked 'em! Actually I didn't just kick em, I kicked till it went down lol. Good thing I had accomplices no one noticed it.

Bro Juramentado, may I ask what discpline are you practicing? :D

I am passionate about F.M.A./Filipino Martial Arts (Arnis, Kali, Escrima), but I am also interested in Silat as in Mindanao Silat, the Silat used by our Muslim brothers in Mindanao and also the Silat of our neighbors in South East Asia (Indonesia, Malaysia, Brunei, etc.).

Because this Martial arts are somehow connected to our peoples pre-colonial history and even during and after colonization; our people, our ancestors used this arts to defend their loved ones and their homeland during tribal/clan wars against each other and against foreign invaders.

And besides... this are practical fighting arts now used by Special forces in different countries in the world, like the Spetsnaz of Russia, U.S. military like the Seals and also our Philippine Marine Force Recon and PNP's special unit... Special Action Force.

They try to learn F.M.A. and Silat and then try to incorporate most of it's knife fighting and stick fighting drills.

Because F.M.A. (Arnis, Kali, Escrima) and Silat are weapon based arts, bladed and blunt weapons; Bolo/Itak, Knife, Kris/Keris, Barung, Karambit, sticks, etc.

And aside from weapons, these arts also have empty hands... both striking and grappling.

At saka this are battlefield arts as I already mentioned that it was used by our ancestors and by the people in maritime S.E. Asia to repel invaders, meaning... fighting dirty is out of the question, it is expected; therefore... rough stuff is allowed, like eye gouging, groin and throat hitting, etc.

Still practical to be used today, that even foreigners in the professional military, bodyguard or security services, etc., take notice and try to learn it and eventually they go on to master it.

kaya nga dapat let us support our own indigenous fighting arts, the fighting arts of our ancestors... before it's too late.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:09 pm 
Cruiserweight

I am a fight fan and not just a boxing fan... I like Martial arts or fighting arts that I think are practical to be used in real life situations, to defend my self and my loved ones; aside from F.M.A. and Silat, I also like Japanese Jujutsu, different kick boxing or Muay (Muay Boran, Muay Thai, Lithwei, etc.) and also boxing, and many more... basta practical.

but I am more into F.M.A. and Silat, that is my focus; but I am also interested in those mentioned above.

Actually I can appreciate different fighting styles or martial arts, even those like Capoiera, Tai Chi, etc.; I think that different martial arts or martial arts in general are all beautiful and have their different purposes in life.

It's just up to the person who uses it.

Note: Martial arts is also Martial science, as there is always a method to the madness in Martial arts or fighting styles... there is science behind it.

I also enjoy the connection of martial arts and history as I am also into history, parang history buff ba. hahaha :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:45 am 
Lightweight

very well said.

you know what, id love to study silat and arnis and other local stuffs out there but i dont know where to start. i think ill just focus on my basic kickboxing/boxing then find someone who could teach me our very own martial arts. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:35 am 
Cruiserweight

chevalier wrote:
very well said.

you know what, id love to study silat and arnis and other local stuffs out there but i dont know where to start. i think ill just focus on my basic kickboxing/boxing then find someone who could teach me our very own martial arts. :)

You can try to go to Luneta every Sunday morning, there are a lot of groups of F.M.A. (Arnis, Kali, Escrima) there that practice, mga around 5:00 A.M. or later... basta morning, Different groups from different styles of Arnis/Escrima/Kali.

You can probably start there, you can observe them at first, then perhaps later on you can ask permission from them to accept you to join them, if you want to join them.

Basta, they are there scattered all over Luneta, practicing drills, etc.

I'm almost certain there are some groups that actually give free lessons there to people who are interested to learn Arnis/Escrima/Kali.

Good luck na lang pre on finding them. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:41 pm 
Lightweight

Bro, I'm here in Batangas and I go to school everyday. Luneta is way toooo faaar. :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:31 am 
Cruiserweight

chevalier wrote:
Bro, I'm here in Batangas and I go to school everyday. Luneta is way toooo faaar. :)

hahaha! sayang, pero ok lang yan, baka meron din jan sa Batangas, I'm sure meron, kasi alam ko dyan galing sa inyo ang iconic Filipino blade na Balisong, so most likely there are Batanguenos who are good FMA instructors, hahanapin mo nga lang. hahaha 8)

Good luck pre. :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:46 am 
Lightweight

I know a guy here who teaches yaw yan but he wants me to compete and yes, I can't. I got lots of activites so malabo.

Well contrary to popular belief, not everybody here in Batangas knows balisong. Really. But I have like 6 that I keep. lol. But swear punta ko Luneta to see those FMA guys, pag 20 na ako. 4 years na lang. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:05 am 
Cruiserweight

chevalier wrote:
I know a guy here who teaches yaw yan but he wants me to compete and yes, I can't. I got lots of activites so malabo.

Well contrary to popular belief, not everybody here in Batangas knows balisong. Really. But I have like 6 that I keep. lol. But swear punta ko Luneta to see those FMA guys, pag 20 na ako. 4 years na lang. :mrgreen:

Yaw Yan is okay, As what I heard from my friends.

Yes bro I know that not all people in Batangas knows Balisong, my point was that there probably or most likely be some Batangueno out there who is well versed with FMA.

Actually, I forgot the website where I read it e, pero I read somewhere that there was this Batangueno master who had his own style of using Balisong, he is a renowned FMA master, sayang forgot the site e, I was able to browse it before in the past, years ago na, matagal na, matanda na yung instructor na yan, kasi ang naaalala ko sa nabasa ko e kasikatan nya noong 80's pa e, kasabay yung mga ibang FMA master during the 80's.

forgot his name e, sayang; that is why I said na most likely meron dyan sa Batangas na good FMA instructor, perhaps mga old student nya or something like that.

at saka kadalasan naman ng ganyan underground e, low profile, sometimes family systems are only taught to chosen family members lang nga e.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6