Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:32 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:23 pm 
Cruiserweight

grabe. wala talagang kwenta ang The Ring Magazine championship belt para sa kanila.
instead of eight-weight/eight-division world champion, they called him SIX-WEIGHT world champion.
non-boxing fans of course would believe this.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:25 pm 
Heavyweight

link please ..or paste it here bro hakuna.. thanks :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:26 pm 
Heavyweight

So hindi nila nire-recognize na World champion si Hatton sa Junior Welterweight division?

"A wise man is superior to any insults which can be put upon him, and the best reply to unseemly behavior is patience and moderation."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:31 pm 
Light Heavyweight

I believe HM was referring to the Sky broadcast of the fight. It's true, they repeatedly described Manny 's feat as "6-time" and not "8-time".

What it is, if I'm not mistaken, are the lineal belts??? I could be wrong though. :)

EMP

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:35 pm 
Strawweight

Ricky hatton had the IBO belt which isnt 1 of the four recognised world championships belts... (wbc, wbo, ibf, wba) and barrera was linear champion for that weight division but also didnt have 1 of the four belts. Thats why they dont call him 8. Both 8 and 6 is still a milestone to achive.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:36 pm 
Cruiserweight

burnok5 wrote:
link please ..or paste it here bro hakuna.. thanks :)

it's the sky sports coverage from UK and not the UK press overall. sorry for the confusion.
they call him a six-weight world champion instead of eight.

LINK: http://www.pacquiaovideo.com/2010/11/wa ... fight.html

SKY SPORTS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:44 pm 
Lightweight

I have watched the sky sports verison and they have repeated 6 time world champion. Me being a filipino growing in UK, reading this awesome website philboxing.com for updates and current boxing news, the british media I think are envy, i do get irritated..whether its 6 lineal champion or even 8 world champion none has come close but our idol...yes dela hoya and mayweather achieved 6 world champion and so forth but Manny Pacquiao is the only boxer who has SURPASS everyone in the history of Boxing in regards to championships!

Now Sky Sport are a good bunch but HBO guys are better!....Hbo are more detailed and consider new comers into boxing, they elaborate and explain what they say. Now with Sky Sports i bet they can not even explain the meaning Lineal Championships??
i know very bias but thats just me!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:00 pm 
Cruiserweight

jooletzku7 wrote:
I have watched the sky sports verison and they have repeated 6 time world champion. Me being a filipino growing in UK, reading this awesome website philboxing.com for updates and current boxing news, the british media I think are envy, i do get irritated..whether its 6 lineal champion or even 8 world champion none has come close but our idol...yes dela hoya and mayweather achieved 6 world champion and so forth but Manny Pacquiao is the only boxer who has SURPASS everyone in the history of Boxing in regards to championships!

Now Sky Sport are a good bunch but HBO guys are better!....Hbo are more detailed and consider new comers into boxing, they elaborate and explain what they say. Now with Sky Sports i bet they can not even explain the meaning Lineal Championships??
i know very bias but thats just me!

at the back of there minds, they know manny is an eight-division world champion and definitely not six!
they're using "technicality" by not including The Ring championship belt so they can lessen pacquiao's achievements in boxing!
...in other words, they're in denial!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:12 pm 
Welterweight

here's my take :

why did they consider HATTON a world champion when he held the IBO and RING Mag title at light-welterweight division? enough said. ENVY. or should i say "ATLAS" LOL.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:19 pm 
Cruiserweight

My advice: To avoid confusion, Manny's next fight(s) should be on junior welterweight (140 lbs.) so he can get a "legitimate" belt in that division. In that way, the UK Media, particularly Sky Sports, will not call him a six-weight world champion anymore.

Ideal Fight:
Manny Pacquiao VS. Timothy Bradley
140 lbs. Junior Welterweight World Championship
Araneta Coliseum, Quezon City, Philippines

Note: If Floyd agrees to fight Manny, then please disregard this proposal.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:42 am 
Cruiserweight

Hakuna Matata wrote:
My advice: To avoid confusion, Manny's next fight(s) should be on junior welterweight (140 lbs.) so he can get a "legitimate" belt in that division. In that way, the UK Media, particularly Sky Sports, will not call him a six-weight world champion anymore.

Ideal Fight:
Manny Pacquiao VS. Timothy Bradley
140 lbs. Junior Welterweight World Championship
Araneta Coliseum, Quezon City, Philippines

Note: If Floyd agrees to fight Manny, then please disregard this proposal.

What can you say about this proposal/suggestion guys?
Do you agree or disagree?
Thanks for your comments.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:37 am 
Strawweight

alryan011 wrote:
here's my take :

why did they consider HATTON a world champion when he held the IBO and RING Mag title at light-welterweight division? enough said. ENVY. or should i say "ATLAS" LOL.

Actually... they consider him a world champion because he held the ibf and wba titles... but not when he fought manny pacquiao.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:27 am 
Cruiserweight

Hakuna Matata wrote:
grabe. wala talagang kwenta ang The Ring Magazine championship belt para sa kanila.
instead of eight-weight/eight-division world champion, they called him SIX-WEIGHT world champion.
non-boxing fans of course would believe this.

The Brits are still mad what Manny did to Ricky. It's really Manny's fault. Manny should have carried Ricky for 6 rounds before lowering the boom and made it a little competitive.

LoL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:28 am 
Middleweight

UK was simply envy with Pacquiao's achievements. Just like that, thier hero is in rehab. right now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:31 am 
Cruiserweight

TiCk_FLiP wrote:
alryan011 wrote:
here's my take :

Actually... they consider him a world champion because he held the ibf and wba titles... but not when he fought manny pacquiao.

UK people "treat" ricky hatton as a world champion before he fought manny just like we filipinos treated pacquiao as a world champion in 2003 when manny had just defeated marco antonio barrera even technically, pacquiao has no "legitimate" belt at that time (only The Ring magazine championship belt also called "The People's Champion" belt).

bottomline: the UK media should had at least mentioned these achievements of pacquiao instead of diminishing it or by dampening his trophies/titles/belts by saying he is ONLY a six-weight champion. again, there are a lot of non-boxing fans who watched the pacquiao-margarito fight who would believe everything the commentators say.