Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:13 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:38 am 
Strawweight

Hakuna Matata wrote:
TiCk_FLiP wrote:
alryan011 wrote:
here's my take :

why did they consider HATTON a world champion when he held the IBO and RING Mag title at light-welterweight division? enough said. ENVY. or should i say "ATLAS" LOL.

Actually... they consider him a world champion because he held the ibf and wba titles... but not when he fought manny pacquiao.

UK people "treat" ricky hatton as a world champion before he fought manny just like we filipinos treated pacquiao as a world champion in 2003 when manny had just defeated marco antonio barrera even technically, pacquiao has no "legitimate" belt at that time (only The Ring magazine championship belt also called "The People's Champion" belt).

bottomline: the UK media should had at least mentioned these achievements of pacquiao instead of diminishing it or by dampening his trophies/titles/belts by saying he is ONLY a six-weight champion. again, there are a lot of non-boxing fans who watched the pacquiao-margarito fight who would believe everything the commentators say.

errrr... nah some people are just ignorant.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:50 am 
Cruiserweight

Hakuna Matata wrote:
TiCk_FLiP wrote:
alryan011 wrote:
here's my take :

why did they consider HATTON a world champion when he held the IBO and RING Mag title at light-welterweight division? enough said. ENVY. or should i say "ATLAS" LOL.

Actually... they consider him a world champion because he held the ibf and wba titles... but not when he fought manny pacquiao.

UK people "treat" ricky hatton as a world champion before he fought manny just like we filipinos treated pacquiao as a world champion in 2003 when manny had just defeated marco antonio barrera even technically, pacquiao has no "legitimate" belt at that time (only The Ring magazine championship belt also called "The People's Champion" belt).

bottomline: the UK media should had at least mentioned these achievements of pacquiao instead of diminishing it or by dampening his trophies/titles/belts by saying he is ONLY a six-weight champion. again, there are a lot of non-boxing fans who watched the pacquiao-margarito fight who would believe everything the commentators say.

TiCk_FLiP wrote:
errrr... nah some people are just ignorant.

yeah. just like when the same sky sports commentators said last november 14, 2009 during the pacquiao-cotto fight that the last KNOCKDOWN of manny was in 2003 when marco antonio barrera scored a knockdown when in fact IT WAS a slip. maybe they just rely on BoxRec.com and telling things to the world as if they know a lot about manny.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:59 am 
Heavyweight

It is all over the net and the Buffer announcement was clear. Maybe they can be asked why they say six.

They also said that Manny can be Middleweight champion. Wow.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:23 am 
Welterweight

What can you expect from UK and Australia....I once read an australian newspaper mentioning Cotto as the welterweight champion when PACMAN have already demolished Clottey past Cotto...They are a bunch of racist pigs these aussies and british, the aussies in particular thinking england is just nearby their island when asia is staring them on their face right on their northern side...They are all in denial as asians when the afrikaners believes that they are african too....They got kicked out of europe when europeans formed their trading bloc...they want to join asian trading bloc but they dont want to be called asians.... Hypocrites of the highest order, aussies are....Just look at their flag, another country's flag embeeded on the top left corner....UK and aussies will just be like racist cousins........ They will never recognize an 'Asian' to be great.... Trust me, I lived there.... theyr all closet racist pigs...and they will not admit that.....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:22 am 
Lightweight

What they said was true. Manny is a 6-WEIGHT world champion BUT 8-DIVISION world champion. UK scribes looks at it on the weight basis whereas in the rest of the world Manny's described on divisions that he fought in. Is it clearer now or would you like me to explain it again in Tagalog? :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:30 am 
Cruiserweight

draco wrote:
What they said was true. Manny is a 6-WEIGHT world champion BUT 8-DIVISION world champion. UK scribes looks at it on the weight basis whereas in the rest of the world Manny's described on divisions that he fought in. Is it clearer now or would you like me to explain it again in Tagalog? :D

nope. i think you're wrong. "division" and "weight" are the same.
manny has already fought in 10 divisions and that includes the light flyweight where he started as a pro-boxer.
he has already won 8 world championship titles in 8 divisions including The Ring magazine featherweight world championship belt (in 2003 it is called "The People's Champion belt") which he got when he defeated marco antonio barrera and The Ring magazine junior welterweight world championship belt which he got when he defeated hatton.

they only included the "legitimate" belts from the BIG FOUR (WBC, WBA, WBO, IBF) and they did not include The Ring magazine championship belts therefore diminishing pacquiao's achievements in boxing.

here, take a look:
LINK(S):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octuple_champion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bo ... _champions

hope you have the time to open the links. thanks.

Last edited by Hakuna Matata on Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:37 am 
Heavyweight

Hakuna Matata wrote:

they only included the "legitimate" belts from the BIG FOUR (WBC, WBA, WBO, IBF) and they did not include The Ring magazine championship belts therefore diminishing pacquiao's achievements in boxing.

Bakit kaya? Anway, as long as HBO, ESPN, Yahoo and SI say it is eight, it's eight.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:42 am 
Lightweight

Hakuna Matata wrote:
draco wrote:

manny has already fought in 10 divisions and that includes the light flyweight where he started as a pro-boxer.
he has already won 8 world championship titles in 8 divisions including The Ring magazine featherweight world championship belt (in 2003 it is called "The People's Champion belt") which he got when he defeated marco antonio barrera and The Ring magazine junior welterweight world championship belt which he got when he defeated hatton.

Very sad.... Still couldn't understand could you? ie WelterWEIGHT has 2-divisions in it so does FeatherWeight. Shall I carry on? So you still think "division" and "weight" are the same? If you do, I respect it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:47 am 
Cruiserweight

draco wrote:
Hakuna Matata wrote:
draco wrote:

Very sad.... Still couldn't understand could you? ie WelterWEIGHT has 2-divisions in it so does FeatherWeight. Shall I carry on? So you still think "division" and "weight" are the same? If you do, I respect it.

in UK, they call ricky hatton a two-weight world champion,
i.e., junior welterweight + welterweight...
which means that "division" and "weight" are the same.

seriously, what are you trying to say bro? please clarify. thanks.

Last edited by Hakuna Matata on Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:48 am 
Heavyweight

draco wrote:

Is that the reason? So ODLH actually has 6 weight class championships? Because they said Manny is the second man to get 6 behind Oscar.

Palagay ko hindi.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:57 am 
Bantamweight

jooletzku7 wrote:
I have watched the sky sports verison and they have repeated 6 time world champion. Me being a filipino growing in UK, reading this awesome website philboxing.com for updates and current boxing news, the british media I think are envy, i do get irritated..whether its 6 lineal champion or even 8 world champion none has come close but our idol...yes dela hoya and mayweather achieved 6 world champion and so forth but Manny Pacquiao is the only boxer who has SURPASS everyone in the history of Boxing in regards to championships!

Now Sky Sport are a good bunch but HBO guys are better!....Hbo are more detailed and consider new comers into boxing, they elaborate and explain what they say. Now with Sky Sports i bet they can not even explain the meaning Lineal Championships??
i know very bias but thats just me!

agree!! British media are envious and BITTERRR because Pac destroyed and humiliated their people's champ, Ricky 'crack' Hatton!
:gun: :gun: :gun:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:08 am 
Cruiserweight

draco wrote:
Hakuna Matata wrote:
draco wrote:

Hakuna Matata wrote:

seriously, what are you trying to say bro? please clarify. thanks.

hey mr. draco, any answer to my question?
anyway, please check this wikipedia article before answering. thanks.

LINK(S):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octuple_champion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bo ... _champions

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:10 am 
Welterweight

I don't think those commentators are intentionally disrespecting Pac's achievement in any way. Have you ever considered that they could have just made a mistake???

...those commentators probly are not well versed of who Pac really is and have never cared or shown any interest in him before the Hatton fight.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:15 am 
Cruiserweight

dodong12345 wrote:
I don't think those commentators are intentionally disrespecting Pac's achievement in any way. Have you ever considered that they could have just made a mistake???

...those commentators probly never cared or have any interest in Pacquiao before the Hatton fight.

that's the problem bro. when pacquiao defeated cotto, the sky sports commentators shouted, "manny is a FIVE-WEIGHT champion, manny is a FIIIIVVVEEEE-WEIGHT champion!" and i said to my said... what? everybody in the world knows that he is already a seven-WEIGHT champion and not just five.

my concern back then was the non-boxing fans who would believe what the commentators are saying.

now, it happened again. they did not include manny's The Ring magazine championship belts therefore making him JUST a six-weight world champion instead of eight.

for me, it diminishes pacquiao's achievements. especially when they are feeding the non-boxing fans the "wrong" information.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:19 am 
Lightweight

they only included the "legitimate" belts from the BIG FOUR (WBC, WBA, WBO, IBF) and they did not include The Ring magazine championship belts therefore diminishing pacquiao's achievements in boxing.[/quote]

seriously, what are you trying to say bro? please clarify. thanks.[/quote]

I was merely trying to explain what they(SKYSPORTS) meant by it. But like you, I was also disgusted when I heard it(Manny's championships) being said as only 6 and not acknowledging it as 8-divisions. And for Hatton, I haven't read or hear anything about him being a 2-weight champion, only 2-division bro. If there was I guess it's just hype...To make the Hitman more hall of fame caliber...Which in my opinion he's not. In UK maybe BUT not the world! In my opinion, no other boxer would or will surpass Manny's achievements in and out of the square ring. His name is synonymous to greatness...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next