Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:18 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:27 am 
Welterweight

I think think this is a british website. But yeah Sky commentator doesn't recognize ring titles.

Forget Fraudley, there's something about Manny
today at 2:31 pm

Audley Harrison's deplorable performance in Saturday's World Heavyweight title bout was put firmly in the shade by Manny Pacquiao.

By Conor Hogan

In the late 60s and early 70s, the era of great heavyweight boxers such as Joe Frazier, Muhammad Ali and George Foreman, the average weekly wage in Ireland was less than €20. In comparison, the cost of David Haye v Audley Harrison sold for €22 on Sky Box Office. Even taking into account inflation, nobody can deny that such a figure is a bit of a rip-off. For a match described by promoter Frank Warren as the ‘worst I’ve seen,’ it was especially galling.

Fraudley Harrison should never have been given a shot for the WBA heavyweight title. This is a man who single-handedly ended BBC’s coverage of boxing by continually fighting jobbers in uninspiring contests. This is a man who was over the hill before he ever even made a genuine attempt to climb one. And if ever a contest personified the nadir that is heavyweight boxing, this one was going to be it.

His performance was worse than even the most pessimistic punter could have predicted. Simply put, the man known as A-Force was a farce. After three trite rounds of ‘boxing,’ he was knocked out after landing a mere one punch. It looks set to be the most well paid punch of all time, as Harrison’s paycheque is rumoured to be in the region of £1 million (though admittedly the BBBC are threathening to withhold the money from the 39-year-old).

The rest of Haye’s title matches haven’t been particularly magnificent either, however. He captured the title in a tedious contest against seven foot freakshow non-boxer Nikolai Valuev, before defending the title against the 38-year-old John Ruiz – a man outclassed seven years ago by bulked up Super Middleweight Roy Jones Jr. Then again, what do you expect from a division where 48-year-old Evander Holyfield can compete for the title (the 'Surreal Deal' currently holds the WBF belt).

Saved by Pacman

Those annoyed by what was offered to them by Sky Sports Box Office, however, were at least able to satisfy their need for world class boxing by tuning into Sky Sports 1 later that night. Manny Pacquiao put in a world class display against the controversial Antonio Margarito in the Cowboys Stadium in Dallas, to capture his tenth world title in eight weight divisions (a new record). The man who started his career as a light-flyweight in 1995 astonished watchers by maintaining his power at Super Welterweight.

In an ultra-exciting contest, Margarito was unable to cope with his Filipino opponent’s handspeed, and sustained major cuts and a fracture to his orbital bone. It was a measure of Pacquiao as a man that he asked the referee to stop the match in the penultimate round as he didn’t want to hurt Margartito anymore, and eased up in the final round.

If Harrison is everything that is wrong with boxing, Pacquiao is everything that’s right with it. His combative style lends itself to magnificent and exciting bouts, even against opponents he outclasses. Pound for pound, he’s undoubtedly one of the greatest fighters of all time, and if the match against Floyd Mayweather Jr eventually does go ahead, it will be a sight to behold.

Born into extreme poverty, Pacquiao’s rise to boxing superstar, politician, as well as singer is an incredible story. And after already moving up ten weight divisions in his career, who is to say that the 31-year-old congressman won’t keep climbing and climbing? Another 60 pounds and he could compete in the heavyweight division and with the paucity of talent on show there at the moment, he could well give some of them a scare.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:28 am 
Welterweight

Forgot the link.

http://www.joe.ie/sports/boxing/forget- ... y-007071-1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:31 am 
Heavyweight

who cares UK lang naman yun as long as manny's achievement as 8 division champ is recognized by the majority

Last edited by moneyfacyo on Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:32 am 
Middleweight

uk press is nothin but insecure with regards to achievements of ahtletes not their own...... that's the best they could do anyway, undermine manny nothin else.... amir khan is not even their own, and he's the only one carrying them now, with the help of manny at that! lol :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:21 am 
Cruiserweight

draco wrote:
I was merely trying to explain what they(SKYSPORTS) meant by it. But like you, I was also disgusted when I heard it(Manny's championships) being said as only 6 and not acknowledging it as 8-divisions. And for Hatton, I haven't read or hear anything about him being a 2-weight champion, only 2-division bro. If there was I guess it's just hype...To make the Hitman more hall of fame caliber...Which in my opinion he's not. In UK maybe BUT not the world! In my opinion, no other boxer would or will surpass Manny's achievements in and out of the square ring. His name is synonymous to greatness...

to avoid further confusion, let's just refer to wikipedia:

LINK: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weight_class_%28boxing%29

mr. draco, i stand what i've said: "division" and "weight" are the same.
sky sports is diminishing pacquiao's achievements by saying he is just a six-weight world champion.
anyway, yeah, pac is an all-time great!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:50 am 
Cruiserweight

moneyfacyo wrote:
who cares UK lang naman yun as long as manny's achievement as 8 division champ is recognized by the majority

just like what i've said while ago, there are many non-boxing fans/newbies, particularly british (UK) fans, that will believe everything the commentators are saying.
for sure, that "information" will stuck on there minds (british fans).
for me, saying pacquiao is only a SIX-WEIGHT world champion diminishes his achievements in boxing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:12 am 
Light Heavyweight

Hakuna Matata wrote:
grabe. wala talagang kwenta ang The Ring Magazine championship belt para sa kanila.
instead of eight-weight/eight-division world champion, they called him SIX-WEIGHT world champion.
non-boxing fans of course would believe this.

maykakampi na si VB neto! UK press acting co-chairman na ng silahis/makapili/microsoft....ahiiihiiii...... 8)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:19 am 
Cruiserweight

golemaw wrote:
Hakuna Matata wrote:
grabe. wala talagang kwenta ang The Ring Magazine championship belt para sa kanila.
instead of eight-weight/eight-division world champion, they called him SIX-WEIGHT world champion.

maykakampi na si VB neto! UK press acting co-chairman na ng silahis/makapili/microsoft....ahiiihiiii...... 8)

hindi naman bro. it's the other way around. sinasabi ko lang na dapat ay ibigay ang nararapat na karangalan kay manny na tawaging "eight-division" world champion o kaya'y "eight-weight" world champion at hindi six-weight champion na sinasabi ng mga commentators ng sky sports.

kung hindi man niya makuha ang "legitimate" junior welterweight (140 lbs.) championship belt ay ok lang din sa'kin.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:32 am 
Light Heavyweight

Hakuna Matata wrote:
golemaw wrote:
Hakuna Matata wrote:

hindi naman bro. it's the other way around. sinasabi ko lang na dapat ay ibigay ang nararapat na karangalan kay manny na tawaging "eight-division" world champion o kaya'y "eight-weight" world champion at hindi six-weight champion na sinasabi ng mga commentators ng sky sports.

kung hindi man niya makuha ang "legitimate" junior welterweight (140 lbs.) championship belt ay ok lang din sa'kin.

ei bro im on your side... 8)
this UK press, same as VB they just dont accept it...ang pagasa nalng natin na para maclear out, manny should fight at 140 and i feel it coz manny cant fight at higher weight anymore anyways great achievement parin coz reaching 6 like oscar is unreachable to others...maybe it will happen 100 years from now or maybe it will not happen anymore. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:38 am 
Featherweight

Bkit c joe calzaghe two weight world champi0n sa skysp0rts???
Joe calzaghe's belt was the ring belt at the light heavyweight..WTF!!FO0LISH!!
Di nla ininclude ung 2 ring world title belt ni pac!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:39 am 
Featherweight

Hakuna Matata wrote:
draco wrote:
What they said was true. Manny is a 6-WEIGHT world champion BUT 8-DIVISION world champion. UK scribes looks at it on the weight basis whereas in the rest of the world Manny's described on divisions that he fought in. Is it clearer now or would you like me to explain it again in Tagalog? :D

nope. i think you're wrong. "division" and "weight" are the same.
manny has already fought in 10 divisions and that includes the light flyweight where he started as a pro-boxer.
he has already won 8 world championship titles in 8 divisions including The Ring magazine featherweight world championship belt (in 2003 it is called "The People's Champion belt") which he got when he defeated marco antonio barrera and The Ring magazine junior welterweight world championship belt which he got when he defeated hatton.

they only included the "legitimate" belts from the BIG FOUR (WBC, WBA, WBO, IBF) and they did not include The Ring magazine championship belts therefore diminishing pacquiao's achievements in boxing.

here, take a look:
LINK(S):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octuple_champion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bo ... _champions

hope you have the time to open the links. thanks.

In addition to Pac vs Barrera 1, here's what ived found :

Pacquiao stopped Barrera in 11 rounds. No official title was at stake, but Barrera was the Ring Magazine Featherweight Champion at the time. He first cemented his status by beating #1 Naseem Hamed. Barrera further locked in his position as World Featherweight Champion by exacting revenge against WBC Champion Erik Morales, but he refused the belt.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:48 am 
Cruiserweight

Hakuna Matata wrote:
golemaw wrote:
Hakuna Matata wrote:

golemaw wrote:
ei bro im on your side... 8)
this UK press, same as VB they just dont accept it...ang pagasa nalng natin na para maclear out, manny should fight at 140 and i feel it coz manny cant fight at higher weight anymore anyways great achievement parin coz reaching 6 like oscar is unreachable to others...maybe it will happen 100 years from now or maybe it will not happen anymore. 8)

i agree. it will be difficult for others to achieve that feat.
ang sakin lang, NAGPAKAHIRAP si manny na maabot ang pagiging isang eight-division champion at pagkatapos niyang manalo... tatawagin LANG siyang six-weight champion?!?
hindi ok 'yun para sa'kin. dapat ibigay sa kanya ang karangalan na nararapat para sa kanya.

i again agree with you sa sinabi mong dapat ay hindi na siya lumaban sa higher weights bagkus ipagpatuloy niya na lang ang kanyang career sa 140 lbs. division para makakuha siya ng "legitimate" championship belt sa junior welterweight at para hindi na siya tawaging SIX-WEIGHT world champion ng sky sports.

anyway, mabuhay si pacquiao.
thanks for the conversation. good day.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:51 am 
Light Heavyweight

i dont know why? :? they just dont want to accept the " the ring " belts.... :(

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:56 am 
Heavyweight

Forget about the Sky commentators, they're ignorant about boxing,
All they know is sniff David Beckham's a$$. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:56 am 
Heavyweight

MAB gave up his tin before fighting Pac.
Hatton had an IBO belt.
So, those guys didn't count those two LINEAL title fights.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next