Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:01 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:19 pm 
Welterweight

This year smaller pacman fought 2 bigger men on their weight classes.
This year pacman showed tremendous skills, heart, strength, gentleman and class and re-define what sweet science is all about.
This year pacman won a historic 8 titles in different divisions never been done before in the history of boxing.
This year a congressman (politician) was seen fighting inside the ring against professional boxers.

The award of fighter of the year tells all about a historic moments for the year I believe. Martinez' accomplishment for beating Pavlik and KOing Williams is awesome of course but not historic since there are lots of underdog boxers before who have upset topdogs... like Douglas to Tyson, Turpin vs Robinson, Rahman Vs Lennox Lewis,Tarvar Vs Jones 2 and many more but the winners thereof never get the Fighter of the Year award.

Fighter of the Year = History

Have these been done before? Did this boxer showed a meaningful performance that caught the attention of the world and carried the torch of boxing as a sport for this year and made the sport alive again? These are questions that should be answer in choosing and I don't think people would settle for remembering a fighter for just a mere upset or lucky punch. (I've posted this on someone's topic and just added few words here)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:29 pm 
Welterweight

This is one of the best argument I ever read in this forum.

I absolutely agree with the TS. KO is one thing but it's very common in boxing. Getting an 8th title in as many weight division is something that is difficult to achieve, not in the next 50 years or more.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:32 pm 
Welterweight

BF wrote:
This is one of the best argument I ever read in this forum.

I absolutely agree with the TS. KO is one thing but it's very common in boxing. Getting an 8th title in as many weight division is something that is difficult to achieve, not in the next 50 years or more.

Salamat po kaibigan.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:38 pm 
Cruiserweight

nebular wrote:
This year pacman showed tremendous skills, heart, strength, gentleman and class and re-define what sweet science is all about.
This year pacman won a historic 8 titles in different divisions never been done before in the history of boxing.
This year a congressman (politician) was seen fighting inside the ring against professional boxers.

The award of fighter of the year tells all about a historic moments for the year I believe. Martinez' accomplishment for beating Pavlik and KOing Williams is awesome of course but not historic since there are lots of underdog boxers before who have upset topdogs... like Douglas to Tyson, Turpin vs Robinson, Rahman Vs Lennox Lewis,Tarvar Vs Jones 2 and many more but the winners thereof never get the Fighter of the Year award.

Have these been done before? Did this boxer showed a meaningful performance that caught the attention of the world and carried the torch of boxing as a sport for this year and made the sport alive again? These are questions that should be answer in choosing and I don't think people would settle for remembering a fighter for just a mere upset or lucky punch. (I've posted this on someone's topic and just added few words here)

I agree with you TS sender. Martinez, maybe, is a a good candidate for Knockout of the Year Award but never for the Fighter of the Year Award. Manny Pacquiao is yes... he is a cinch to win. He really deserves to be selected as Fighter of the Year for the 4th times and Freddie Roach as Trainer of the Year for the 5th times. How about that???

* * * F I S O P means Floyd Is Scared Of Pacquiao! BY: PB#0528

TANDAAN MO KAPATID, kahit mahilig ka sa DINUGUAN ..., "Ang paggawa ng MABUTI ay HINDI magbubunga ng MASAMA!!!"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:43 pm 
Welterweight

@ tony1946

Thanks for comment. You are right tony1946, without a string of doubt Roach is the Trainer of the Year.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:50 pm 
Light Heavyweight

I agree.. Although I gave credit to Margarito even if he was beaten black and blue. He did what most Filipinos should have love to do...

Punching the face of a Congressman.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:54 pm 
Welterweight

grean villacarlos wrote:
I agree.. Although I gave credit to Margarito even if he was beaten black and blue. He did what most Filipinos should have love to do...

Hahaha, tama ka jan! At least symbolically! And give pacman a credit, he allowed it for the sake of his countrymen.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:59 pm 
Light Heavyweight

nebular wrote:
grean villacarlos wrote:

Hahaha, tama ka jan! At least symbolically! And give pacman a credit, he allowed it for the sake of his countrymen.

Pag hindi pa nag pakatino ang mga congressman natin, sana lahat sila makakatikim nang facial treatment. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:08 pm 
Welterweight

nebular wrote:

Many of us don't know the criteria of choosing Fighter of the Year, nevertheless, it seems that if I may judge a performance of one fighter there is a certain percentage for every criteria to consider, like:

Knockout ? %
Ring aggressiveness ? %
Gate attendance & PPV ? %
Size disparity ? %
Manner of beating ? %
Style ? %
Media support ? %
P4P status ? %

TS is right, but it will all depend how they will put the weigh on Pacquiao and Martinez

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:10 pm 

Pacman should be the FOY in your eyes, but the boxing experts who actually has a say (a vote) in this are looking for reasons to give it to somebody else. They've already bestowed it to Manny several times, and Martinez is equally deserving in my opinion. They might spread the love and I believe boxing will be better off with a handful of torchbearers...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm 
Heavyweight

Pacquiao is THE MAN!
Martinez is only a BUM when compared to THE MAN!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:20 pm 
Welterweight

i think maravilla wins it...

underdog twice, and pulled it off

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:22 pm 
Welterweight

@observer thx, i respect your view on "spread the love"

@bob colins I must admit, i dont know how they judge in choosing fighter of the year.

@radeon actually, martinez was beaten by margarito via TKO :lol:

@grean villacarlos Trivia: google on images the word "nebular" and you'll find your avatar and not mine :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:32 pm 
Welterweight

Jendl wrote:
i think maravilla wins it...

underdog twice, and pulled it off

I think WBC gave it, im still hoping for The Ring Magazine Fighter of the Year.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:49 pm 
Light Heavyweight

imo pacman and sergio deserves a FOTY

tie

WAND 4 LIFE