Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:36 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:52 pm 
Middleweight

Jendl wrote:
i think maravilla wins it...

underdog twice, and pulled it off

underdog twice? where did you get that? magbasa ka ng news minsan pre :)

http://www.proboxing-fans.com/martinez-vs-williams-ii-betting-odds-lines_111510/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:07 pm 
Heavyweight

nebular wrote:
This year smaller pacman fought 2 bigger men on their weight classes.
This year pacman showed tremendous skills, heart, strength, gentleman and class and re-define what sweet science is all about.
This year pacman won a historic 8 titles in different divisions never been done before in the history of boxing.
This year a congressman (politician) was seen fighting inside the ring against professional boxers.

The award of fighter of the year tells all about a historic moments for the year I believe. Martinez' accomplishment for beating Pavlik and KOing Williams is awesome of course but not historic since there are lots of underdog boxers before who have upset topdogs... like Douglas to Tyson, Turpin vs Robinson, Rahman Vs Lennox Lewis,Tarvar Vs Jones 2 and many more but the winners thereof never get the Fighter of the Year award.

Fighter of the Year = History

Have these been done before? Did this boxer showed a meaningful performance that caught the attention of the world and carried the torch of boxing as a sport for this year and made the sport alive again? These are questions that should be answer in choosing and I don't think people would settle for remembering a fighter for just a mere upset or lucky punch. (I've posted this on someone's topic and just added few words here)
Pac was not obliged to fight bigger opponents. And if he lost? The reason because he fought bigger guys. Not even Margarito / Clottey deserve a huge applause should they beaten Pac because they were naturally bigger.

Fighter of the year = history?

how about

Fighter of the Year = Fighting at Catchweights??? :biglaugh:

Be fair enough with Martinez. He fought Williams without catchweight and defeated Pavlik too. Both his opponents were highly ranked as compared to the cheater Margarito.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:09 pm 
Heavyweight

It's dead even for me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:15 pm 
Heavyweight

OkrayKaSakin wrote:
Jendl wrote:
i think maravilla wins it...

underdog twice, and pulled it off

underdog twice? where did you get that? magbasa ka ng news minsan pre :)

http://www.proboxing-fans.com/martinez-vs-williams-ii-betting-odds-lines_111510/

In both Manny's fights against Clottey and Margarito, he was the huge favorite to win. On the other hand, Martinez was the slight betting underdog against Pavlik although the odds were more or less even in the Williams tussle.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:27 pm 
Light Heavyweight

observer wrote:
Pacman should be the FOY in your eyes, but the boxing experts who actually has a say (a vote) in this are looking for reasons to give it to somebody else. They've already bestowed it to Manny several times, and Martinez is equally deserving in my opinion. They might spread the love and I believe boxing will be better off with a handful of torchbearers...

That's right. Pacquiao is the fighter of the decade anyway. Pacquiao is the most deserving, but I guess it's just OK for him that the award will be bestowed to another boxer. It's good that others will also be given recognition.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:44 pm 
Middleweight

Wong wrote:
nebular wrote:
This year pacman showed tremendous skills, heart, strength, gentleman and class and re-define what sweet science is all about.
This year pacman won a historic 8 titles in different divisions never been done before in the history of boxing.
This year a congressman (politician) was seen fighting inside the ring against professional boxers.

The award of fighter of the year tells all about a historic moments for the year I believe. Martinez' accomplishment for beating Pavlik and KOing Williams is awesome of course but not historic since there are lots of underdog boxers before who have upset topdogs... like Douglas to Tyson, Turpin vs Robinson, Rahman Vs Lennox Lewis,Tarvar Vs Jones 2 and many more but the winners thereof never get the Fighter of the Year award.

Have these been done before? Did this boxer showed a meaningful performance that caught the attention of the world and carried the torch of boxing as a sport for this year and made the sport alive again? These are questions that should be answer in choosing and I don't think people would settle for remembering a fighter for just a mere upset or lucky punch. (I've posted this on someone's topic and just added few words here)
Pac was not obliged to fight bigger opponents. And if he lost? The reason because he fought bigger guys. Not even Margarito / Clottey deserve a huge applause should they beaten Pac because they were naturally bigger.

how about

Be fair enough with Martinez. He fought Williams without catchweight and defeated Pavlik too. Both his opponents were highly ranked as compared to the cheater Margarito.

Bro the bout between Martinez and Williams was fought on a catchweight 158 lbs for the Middleweight championships - so if he wins the FOY award he also won fighting on catchweights :biglaugh:

...." JENNA: Now this fight was fought at a catch weight of 158 pounds. How did you feel making the weight?"
...." MARTINEZ: I felt perfect with this weight. I never had a weight problem, and just for all the people that were talking about my weight, saying I was blowing up to 200 pounds, and this and that, you know the proof is in the pudding. I felt great at that weight. I never have a problem with my weight."

CLICK THE LINK:
http://www.eatthemushroom.com/mag/article.asp?id=1498&catID=6

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:46 pm 
Heavyweight

mos2imo wrote:
Wong wrote:
nebular wrote:

how about

Bro the bout between Martinez and Williams was fought on a catchweight 158 lbs for the Middleweight championships - so if he wins the FOY award he also won fighting on catchweights :biglaugh:

...." JENNA: Now this fight was fought at a catch weight of 158 pounds. How did you feel making the weight?"
...." MARTINEZ: I felt perfect with this weight. I never had a weight problem, and just for all the people that were talking about my weight, saying I was blowing up to 200 pounds, and this and that, you know the proof is in the pudding. I felt great at that weight. I never have a problem with my weight."

CLICK THE LINK:
http://www.eatthemushroom.com/mag/article.asp?id=1498&catID=6

it was Paul Williams who asked and insisted for the catchweight and not Martinez bro. 8)

- Statement of President Noynoy Aquino on appointing Boy Abunda in his cabinet.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:53 pm 
Middleweight

I know bro but it's was agreed between both camp and still fought in catchweight :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:06 pm 
Cruiserweight

The Ring magazine's "Fighter of the Year" Award is a gold and silver medal given to the boxer, who, during the year previous, has by his conduct and fighting qualities "earned the esteem of the sports public." The four points which originally governed the award were:

1) He must be foremost in his contribution to the skill and the science of boxing and he need not be a champion.
2) The recipient must combine with his high place in the ranking of fighters a similar position as a sportsman.
3) He must associate with the abilities as a fighter good public relations and a reputation for clean and moral living.
4) The boxer receiving the award must be recognized as an example to the growing American youth.

source: http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Ring_ ... f_the_Year

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:08 pm 
Heavyweight

Kelly Pavlik/Paul Williams

Joshua Clottey/Antonio Margarito

That's all you have to consider.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:23 pm 
Lightweight

Definitely!
compare to Martinez Pac take the risk of fighting those who are bigger than him!...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:41 pm 
Welterweight

empeethree wrote:
The Ring magazine's "Fighter of the Year" Award is a gold and silver medal given to the boxer, who, during the year previous, has by his conduct and fighting qualities "earned the esteem of the sports public." The four points which originally governed the award were:

1) He must be foremost in his contribution to the skill and the science of boxing and he need not be a champion.
2) The recipient must combine with his high place in the ranking of fighters a similar position as a sportsman.
3) He must associate with the abilities as a fighter good public relations and a reputation for clean and moral living.
4) The boxer receiving the award must be recognized as an example to the growing American youth.

Indeed, these are among the qualities a Fighter of the Year must possess. Im not against Martinez but Pacman is more deserving.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:51 pm 
Cruiserweight

nebular wrote:
empeethree wrote:

Indeed, these are among the qualities a Fighter of the Year must possess. Im not against Martinez but Pacman is more deserving.

Pacman is more deserving as a Fighter of the Year for the 4th time.
No doubt that Martinez will gonna get the Knock out of the Year.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:51 pm 
Cruiserweight

Location: Bishan Park,katung naa ga cricket (waaa!), Singapore
How could pac be fighter of the year when clottey and marg were heavy underdogs?

this is pacland :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:57 pm 
Cruiserweight

nokus wrote:
How could pac be fighter of the year when clottey and marg were heavy underdogs?

this is pacland :lol:

Mayweather Jr. fight fell down twice. Besides that, who's other opponent you can name that will not going to be an underdog against Pac?

What's your point?

Definitely, this is Pacland. 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next