Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:30 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:01 pm 
Welterweight

Pacman is more deserving as a Fighter of the Year for the 4th time.
No doubt that Martinez will gonna get the Knock out of the Year.[/quote]

I thought you were saying:

"No doubt that Martinez will gonna get Knockout Next Year". hahaha joke lang :lol:

"Mayweather Jr. fight fell down twice. Besides that, who's other opponent you can name that will not going to be an underdog against Pac?" -empeethree

I subscribe to that point sir.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:06 pm 
Heavyweight

nokus wrote:
How could pac be fighter of the year when clottey and marg were heavy underdogs?

this is pacland :lol:

It's not pac's fault if they were heavy underdogs.

Say you have two sections of high school students. Top 5 students in section A got grades of 98%, 86%, 85%, 84.5% and 84%. The top five in section B got grades of 87%, 86%, 86%, 85.5% and 84%. Who's the best student? Don't tell me it's not the 98% in section A because the rest of that student's classmates are underdogs.

You cannot apply normalization here. A boxer's skills is independent of his opponent's skills.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:14 pm 
Heavyweight

Sorry but Sergio's two SHOCKING wins, get the nod for me.
Pac's 8th title is just another tin.
Sadly, it was a controversial tin too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:16 pm 
Heavyweight

Quote:
It's not pac's fault if they were heavy underdogs.

It's not but his win over Clottey was just another win.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:56 pm 
Middleweight

bob colins wrote:
nebular wrote:
This year smaller pacman fought 2 bigger men on their weight classes.
This year pacman showed tremendous skills, heart, strength, gentleman and class and re-define what sweet science is all about.
This year pacman won a historic 8 titles in different divisions never been done before in the history of boxing.
This year a congressman (politician) was seen fighting inside the ring against professional boxers.

The award of fighter of the year tells all about a historic moments for the year I believe. Martinez' accomplishment for beating Pavlik and KOing Williams is awesome of course but not historic since there are lots of underdog boxers before who have upset topdogs... like Douglas to Tyson, Turpin vs Robinson, Rahman Vs Lennox Lewis,Tarvar Vs Jones 2 and many more but the winners thereof never get the Fighter of the Year award.

Fighter of the Year = History
Have these been done before? Did this boxer showed a meaningful performance that caught the attention of the world and carried the torch of boxing as a sport for this year and made the sport alive again? These are questions that should be answer in choosing and I don't think people would settle for remembering a fighter for just a mere upset or lucky punch. (I've posted this on someone's topic and just added few words here)

Many of us don't know the criteria of choosing Fighter of the Year, nevertheless, it seems that if I may judge a performance of one fighter there is a certain percentage for every criteria to consider, like:

Knockout ? %
Ring aggressiveness ? %
Gate attendance & PPV ? %
Size disparity ? %
Manner of beating ? %
Style ? %
Media support ? %
P4P status ? %

TS is right, but it will all depend how they will put the weigh on Pacquiao and Martinez

And how about if the best criteria of them all in choosing the " fighter of the year " is the boxer's HUMILITY, GRACE, COMPASSION and EMPHATY of a fighter towards his opponent.

In the history of the sport, if i am correct, it was only manny pacquiao who have shown all of these characteristics in a fighter.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:23 am 
Light Heavyweight

JoeyInCali wrote:

Shocking wins from overrated fighters.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:27 am 
Heavyweight

Dalubhasa wrote:
JoeyInCali wrote:

Kelly Pavlik and Paul Williams are not over rated and anybody who's a real boxing fan and not just a pacfan will know this. I'm a pacman fan thru and thru but I'm not a blind fan...I think Sergio deserves to win it this time and anyway what's the har in letting other deserving fighters win the award? let the others have the ir spotlight. 8)

- Statement of President Noynoy Aquino on appointing Boy Abunda in his cabinet.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:29 am 
Light Heavyweight

nokus wrote:
How could pac be fighter of the year when clottey and marg were heavy underdogs?

this is pacland :lol:

Everyone of them are underdogs against Pacquiao brother. Who isn't? Pacquiao made it so easy. Who cand do it as easy as him fighting Clottey and Margarito? No one. Except Pacquiao himself the "Best Fighter of the Year".

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:46 am 
Light Heavyweight

fil79 wrote:
Dalubhasa wrote:
JoeyInCali wrote:

Kelly Pavlik and Paul Williams are not over rated and anybody who's a real boxing fan and not just a pacfan will know this. I'm a pacman fan thru and thru but I'm not a blind fan...I think Sergio deserves to win it this time and anyway what's the har in letting other deserving fighters win the award? let the others have the ir spotlight. 8)

They are really overrated bro. Pavlik was not the same (or I might say he is really like that) when he lost to Hopkins. Pavlik was overhyped by American Boxing Media for they think Pavlik is the next big thing. Where is Pavlik now? Many boxing fans think, not just me, that Williams is overrated. He has no skill, no defense at all and one lucky punch could knock him out and that was the way it happened when he fought Martinez. How can you judge Martinez as the best fighter? The score is dead even when the punch came. Martinez was lucky that he landed first.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:53 am 
Bantamweight

Pac not winning as fighter of the year is one way of telling him (or his handlers actually) of the apparently bad match-up choices he made during the year. You will be a hypocrite if you didnt admit that 90% of boxing writers condemned his choice of the cheater Margarito as his next opponent. Even in this site, it was also kinda left a bad taste. But apparently some here saw instead the MONEY side of it and still supported it.
The Clottey fight is ok but the Marga fight is the one black dot that did it all (due to the bad press of course).
The Fighter of the Year is decided by a group of boxing writers. To sum it all during a presscon, they once asked Arum of why he is insisting on Pac-Marga in light of the cheating issue. And what did they get as an answer? Arum said or to this effect, "its all about money, you can say all you want and write all you want about it but it will still happen".

For all the boxing writers and the boxing fans that condemned of giving a cheater a chance of beating the best boxer in the world, ITS PAYBACK TIME. Admit it guys, we PAC fans saw this coming.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:55 am 
Heavyweight

Yaan nyo na... Pagbigyan nyo naman yung iba! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:58 am 
Cruiserweight

No matter how great a win against Margarito, the snoozefest fight against Clottey, due to not wanting to tangle with Manny will leave a bad impression on the writers/voters for Fighter of the Year.

Martinez dominated Kelly Pavlik, then utterly destroyed Paul Williams, another avoided fighter.

Easy choice actually for Fighter of the Year, Sergio Martinez.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:01 am 
Light Heavyweight

flipgolfer wrote:
No matter how great a win against Margarito, the snoozefest fight against Clottey, due to not wanting to tangle with Manny will leave a bad impression on the writers/voters for Fighter of the Year.

Martinez dominated Kelly Pavlik, then utterly destroyed Paul Williams, another avoided fighter.

Easy choice actually for Fighter of the Year, Sergio Martinez.

I've got no problem with your choice, but still I choose Pacquiao. Clottey and Margarito were overwhelmed by Pacquiao's skills and abilities. Martinez won against two overrated fighters.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:12 am 
Middleweight

radeon wrote:
Pacquiao is THE MAN!
Martinez is only a BUM when compared to THE MAN!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tangina pacnuthugger sobra to ha! :) Pac-man is deserving but Martinez is more deserving this year. Juan Manuel Lopez in my opinion is also more deserving than Pac-man to win FOY this year. So it will be a toss up between Martinez and JuanMa Lopez.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:50 am 
Heavyweight

Honestly, I think MP is the most deserving one to be the 2010 F.O.T.Y. awardee and s.martinez is 2nd in line, 3rd Juanma Lopez.
and
also, S.Martinez should be the 2010 KO of the Year awardee, No Doubt.

Matthew 28:20"I am with you always, even unto the end of the world."
Acts 20:35 "It is more blessed to give than to recieve."
Philippians 4:13"I can do all things through CHRIST which strengtheneth me."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next