Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:49 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:12 am 
Welterweight

everybody has their own choices for fighter of the year because we measure it by our own varying standards. Try to google search the requirements or qualities for Ring Magazines fighter of the Year, thereon decide who should be. peace!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:14 am 
Middleweight

SERGIO MARTINEZ!!! he deserved it more than Manny. . .

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:24 am 
Heavyweight

Let them settle it inside the squared circle. :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:52 am 
Strawweight

Pacquiao's two wins this year could be described best as dominating, while Martinez was spectacular. A spectacular win could also mean a one lucky punch win that resulted in a devastating knock-out. With this, I would prefer - Sheer Dominance. It's showed Pacquiao's mastery over his opponents. And those wins were made against opponents far more heavier than him. And remember this, Martinez is currently campaigning at 160 lbs, while Williams is at 154.

And don't get confused with Pacquiao's killer knock-out punch against Hatton and Martinez one punch knock-out of Williams. Pacquiao delivered that killer blow after giving Hatton two knockdowns prior to that. While Martinez and Williams were almost dead-even in the judges scorecards before the knock-out.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:00 am 
Middleweight

nokus wrote:
How could pac be fighter of the year when clottey and marg were heavy underdogs?

this is pacland :lol:

bobo mo tol! kahit saan mo ilaban si pacquiao sya lamang sa ODDS, kahit kay klitchko pa, mag isip ka nga ng puwede itapat na boxer kay pacquiao na pwd maging Lyamado?. ibig sabihin ba nun wala na sya pagasa maka fight of the year kasi lagi sya lyamado?

trans: almost all of pacquiao's fight he is a favorite to win except the pac vs barerra 1, and with dela hoya, so why he won 3 FOTY if that is the criteria? bum! bwahahah!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:12 am 
Welterweight

rfn109 wrote:
Pacquiao's two wins this year could be described best as dominating, while Martinez was spectacular. A spectacular win could also mean a one lucky punch win that resulted in a devastating knock-out. With this, I would prefer - Sheer Dominance. It's showed Pacquiao's mastery over his opponents. And those wins were made against opponents far more heavier than him. And remember this, Martinez is currently campaigning at 160 lbs, while Williams is at 154.

And don't get confused with Pacquiao's killer knock-out punch against Hatton and Martinez one punch knock-out of Williams. Pacquiao delivered that killer blow after giving Hatton two knockdowns prior to that. While Martinez and Williams were almost dead-even in the judges scorecards before the knock-out.

Good point. :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:24 am 
Light Heavyweight

it boils down to the criteria of choosing the FOY

From Wikipedia,

The Ring was established in 1922. Since 1928, it has named a fighter as Fighter of the Year, based on the magazine's writers' criteria. This award is a gold and silver medal given to the boxer, who, during the year previous, has by his conduct and fighting qualities "earned the esteem of the sports public." The four points which originally governed the award were:

1.He must be foremost in his contribution to the skill and the science of boxing and he need not be a champion.
2.The recipient must combine with his high place in the ranking of fighters a similar position as a sportsman.
3.He must associate with the abilities as a fighter good public relations and a reputation for clean and moral living.
4.The boxer receiving the award must be recognized as an example to the growing youth.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:37 pm 
Welterweight

for me manny and juanma are top choices of this award.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:40 pm 
Welterweight

OkrayKaSakin wrote:
nokus wrote:
How could pac be fighter of the year when clottey and marg were heavy underdogs?

this is pacland :lol:

bobo mo tol! kahit saan mo ilaban si pacquiao sya lamang sa ODDS, kahit kay klitchko pa, mag isip ka nga ng puwede itapat na boxer kay pacquiao na pwd maging Lyamado?. ibig sabihin ba nun wala na sya pagasa maka fight of the year kasi lagi sya lyamado?

trans: almost all of pacquiao's fight he is a favorite to win except the pac vs barerra 1, and with dela hoya, so why he won 3 FOTY if that is the criteria? bum! bwahahah!

kailangan pala underdog ka para manalo ng FOTY award? :lol:

marga and cloty are sure winner. :box:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:45 pm 
Middleweight

radeon wrote:
Pacquiao is THE MAN!
Martinez is only a BUM when compared to THE MAN!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

nice avatar. . .Yip Man!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:53 pm 
Middleweight

i think Martinez has fought more quality opponents than Manny this year. . .

when Sergio fought Pavlik, Pavlik was still in the top 10 lb4lb. won by UD
when Sergio fought Williams, Williams was inside top 5 lb4lb. won by KO

imo Sergio Martinez is the FOY.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:55 pm 
Middleweight

Martinez eked out a decision win against Pavlik
Lost to Williams
KO's Williams

Pac won against a hapless Clottey
Brutalized Margacheato for his 8th world title

I'd have to give it to Pac for the intangibles he has brought back to boxing. Made it further a global attraction, and showed the class of a true sportsman ambassador of the sport.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:03 pm 
Middleweight

DaBoxer wrote:
Martinez eked out a decision win against Pavlik
Lost to Williams
KO's Williams

Pac won against a hapless Clottey
Brutalized Margacheato for his 8th world title

I'd have to give it to Pac for the intangibles he has brought back to boxing. Made it further a global attraction, and showed the class of a true sportsman ambassador of the sport.

We are essentially talking about 2010. We compare both Martinez and Pacman's accomplishments of this year alone. [Martinez' controversial lost to Williams was in 2009]

Having said that, we have Pacquiao's wins over Clottey and Margarito compared to Martinez' wins over Pavlik and Wiiliams.

Pacman beat Clottey, a Top 5 welterweight based on Ring Magazine at that time.
He also beat Margarito, ranked nowhere near the Top 10 in junior middleweight.

Martinez beat Pavlik, the then reigning middleweight champion of the world.
He defended his title against Paul Williams who was then a Top 5 pound for pound fighter in the world.
Based on 2010 accomplishments, Sergio Martinez is the man.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:26 pm 
Cruiserweight

Was your standard of judging the fighter of the year was solely all about what happen on that boxer inside the ring?

If that was so, then I could give Sergio Martinez a tiny edge over Pac.

Defeating Pavlik in a Unanimous Decision in my point shows his improvement & superiority using the basics of boxing against Pavlik, WBC & WBO middleweight champion, I think it's the best of him.
About Paul William, he got the the Knock Out of the Year for sure.

Pacman, I could say he's improving so well but lets face it, its the quality of his opponent. Clottey is not champ against Martinez bout with Pavlik, Margarito, he's in a controversial past, i think that added to the negativity of the fight. But they're both big, despite there's catch weight. Well, William vs Martinez is also a catchweight fight.

Well, if its only about inside the ring, well Martinez got the A+, while Pacman got an A for me.

What if I include the outside of the ring criteria that the RingMag is using? Its a different story for me. Pac is ahead in the race this year.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:43 am 
Welterweight

nebular wrote:
This year smaller pacman fought 2 bigger men on their weight classes.
This year pacman showed tremendous skills, heart, strength, gentleman and class and re-define what sweet science is all about.
This year pacman won a historic 8 titles in different divisions never been done before in the history of boxing.
This year a congressman (politician) was seen fighting inside the ring against professional boxers.

The award of fighter of the year tells all about a historic moments for the year I believe. Martinez' accomplishment for beating Pavlik and KOing Williams is awesome of course but not historic since there are lots of underdog boxers before who have upset topdogs... like Douglas to Tyson, Turpin vs Robinson, Rahman Vs Lennox Lewis,Tarvar Vs Jones 2 and many more but the winners thereof never get the Fighter of the Year award.

Fighter of the Year = History

Have these been done before? Did this boxer showed a meaningful performance that caught the attention of the world and carried the torch of boxing as a sport for this year and made the sport alive again? These are questions that should be answer in choosing and I don't think people would settle for remembering a fighter for just a mere upset or lucky punch. (I've posted this on someone's topic and just added few words here)

SEE!!!! After lengthy discussion for this topic the question has finally been answered.
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE. 8) 8) 8)

FIGHTER OF THE YEAR VOTING RESULTS

Manny Pacquiao: 71 percent
Sergio Martinez: 24 percent
Juan Manuel Lopez: 2 percent
Fernando Montiel: 2 percent
Giovani Segura: 1 percent

The choice for 2010 Fighter of the Year was a no-brainer for most objective observers.

Sergio Martinez’s decision over Kelly Pavlik to capture the middleweight championship of the world and one-punch knockout of Paul Williams clearly were more impressive than the accomplishments of any other fighter.

We’re in the era of Manny Pacquiao, though. The world’s greatest fighter is so popular – particularly among his passionate countrymen – that we knew with certainty that he would be the runaway winner of the award. Facts be damned.

This isn’t to say that Pacquiao’s one-sided points victories over Joshua Clottey on March 13 at Cowboys Stadium and Antonio Margarito on Nov. 13 in the same venue during the past year were insignificant.

Clottey didn’t come to fight but was a legitimate contender on paper. And while Margarito’s talents pale next to those of Pacquiao, the Mexican was the much bigger and stronger of the two. He outweighed Pacquiao by 17 pounds on fight night, which took a physical toll on the winner.

The Margarito victory, at junior middleweight, also gave Pacquiao a major title in an unprecedented eighth weight class. We don’t think much of the alphabet titles but to be a dominating fighter in eight of the 17 weight classes is remarkable.

Indeed, it wasn’t Pacquiao’s greatest year in terms of accomplishments but it certainly was a productive one.

And we shouldn’t downplay the role of the fans who voted for Pacquiao in overwhelming numbers.

Boxers don’t perform in a vacuum. The fans are part of the equation, which is why many of us believe a fighter’s ability to entertain the masses is one factor in determining greatness.

We love to watch Pacquiao fight, regardless of the opponent. Pacquiao was never in danger of losing to Margarito, for example, but we were in awe of what we saw in the ring nevertheless. This is what Pacquiao gives us fight after fight after fight, which is why he has become a worldwide icon.

Now imagine how Pacquiao’s fellow Filipinos must feel about him. They burst with pride over the fact that their country has produced the best fighter on the planet who also is universally admired as a person.

He’s like a god. Thus, many Filipinos couldn’t possibly look at him objectively, which is why he and not Martinez was voted Fighter of the Year. And who can blame them.

http://www.ringtv.com/blog/2643/2010_ri ... _the_year/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next