Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:34 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:37 pm 
Heavyweight

a paper champion?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:36 pm 
Heavyweight

JONAR TISOY wrote:
A TItle fight with a top class fighter sana instead. a fight with christian Mijares would be nice! I would rather see him win one than accepting it.OH well if thats the case, CONGRATS GINTONG KAMAO

Well, I agree with you bro.. But if it is the Organization's Rule, there's nothing we could do about it. As I have said earlier, Drian should defend it against quality challenger and prove that he is a worthy champion of the said boxing organization. Winning a championship belt by challenging and defeating the real champion is more legit than getting it by default. :hat:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:56 pm 
Welterweight

ARKAN wrote:
This is what is wrong with the WBA, having three world champions in 1 weight division. You have the interim one, the regular one and the superchampion. In other sanctioning bodies, if the champ vacates his title, the top rated guys fight for the vacated title and not having any one of them automatically elevated to the world champ status. You have to fight your way to the top.

Agree!

You should be happy if you work at jollibee and get promoted.. Or at a call center and get promoted..

But this is boxing! You're not supposed to get promoted to the top! You fight your way to get there..

Another anomaly from the WBA.. :banghead:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:43 pm 
Welterweight

Of course, the best crowning moment would be Drian defeating Hugo Cazares in the ring. Unfortunately, that may not happen in view of Cazares' impending moving up in weight to the bantamweight division, BUT should the fight happen, I don't see any problem Drian beating a Hugo Cazares. Even though Cazares would be superior to the Duangpeth Kokietgym whom Drian knocked out, the way Drian manhandled the Thai shows that he would be able to handle a pressure fighter like Cazares. I have followed Drian Francisco's career since 2005 and observed how he is able to add new dimensions to his game. He was already a technical boxer back then, possessing a very stiff jab and fine defensive technique. He appeared to look unorthodox in his recent fights prompting some non-observant writers to dub him as a boxer with an unorthodox style. However, he did that to confuse his opponents. Overall though, his game is still founded on solid boxing fundamentals.

My idea is that he would just accept the title of a WBA full-fledged champion and defend it against the best available contender as soon as possible. In that way, his right to be called a champion would be more credible. Besides, it would be more financially efficient to defend as a champion than to fight as a challenger.

My two cents...

Last edited by Hogan on Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:51 pm 
Heavyweight

Tomahawk wrote:
ARKAN wrote:
This is what is wrong with the WBA, having three world champions in 1 weight division. You have the interim one, the regular one and the superchampion. In other sanctioning bodies, if the champ vacates his title, the top rated guys fight for the vacated title and not having any one of them automatically elevated to the world champ status. You have to fight your way to the top.

Agree!

You should be happy if you work at jollibee and get promoted.. Or at a call center and get promoted..

But this is boxing! You're not supposed to get promoted to the top! You fight your way to get there..

Another anomaly from the WBA.. :banghead:

kaya nga WBA eh.

World Boxing Anomaly.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:02 pm 
Cruiserweight

dominic wrote:
a paper champion?

Well........... yeah. :biglaugh:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:03 pm 
Middleweight

THEN,IT THERE BE:

WBC TOMAS ROJAS VS WBA DRIAN FRANCISCO UNIFICATION BOUT!!!!!

Drian should join TOP RANK to make it happen!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:14 pm 
Heavyweight

Hogan wrote:
Of course, the best crowning moment would be Drian defeating Hugo Cazares in the ring. Unfortunately, that may not happen in view of Cazares' impending moving up in weight to the bantamweight division, BUT should the fight happen, I don't see any problem Drian disposing of a Hugo Cazares. I have followed Drian Francisco's career since 2005 and observed how he is able to add new dimensions to his game. He was already a technical boxer early in his career possessing a very stiff jab and fine defensive technique. He appeared to look un-orthodox in his recent fights but he did that to confuse his opponents although overall, his game is still based on solid fundamental skills.

My idea is that he would just accept the title of a WBA full-fledged champion and defend it against the best available contender as soon as possible. In that way, his right to be called a champion would be more credible. Besides, it would be more financially efficient to defend as a champion to to fight as a challenger.

My two cents...

Well said.. Drian, with due respect fought his way up to become an Interim Champ, it just didn't happen that he fought any marquee names on his way up. It's not his fault if he's being elevated to regular champion if Cazares vacates his title. :hat:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:56 pm 
Heavyweight

I wonder how Kokietgym got the chance to fight for an interim title when in fact he'd been fighting bums for years. His 51W-1L record prior to his fight against Francisco is a joke. I don't care if he's a PABA champion or something. His record fighting bums is more padded than the bras worn by small-breasted women.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:54 pm 
Welterweight

sino ba si elmer anuran? ito ba yng manager na nagsasabi na artistahin si drian at college degree? yabang naman. joke lang po. baka maging manager na ng WBA si drian pag nasuspindi na manager ng WBA. galing ng pinoy. hehe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:58 pm 
Heavyweight

Good for Drian, whatever title is that. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:12 am 
Heavyweight

idolkoto wrote:
sino ba si elmer anuran? ito ba yng manager na nagsasabi na artistahin si drian at college degree? yabang naman. joke lang po. baka maging manager na ng WBA si drian pag nasuspindi na manager ng WBA. galing ng pinoy. hehe

Elmer Anuran is a good guy, he is just proud of his ward being a degree holder plus the good looks and that is really something to admire. I also observed him as a good manager who carefully guided Drian on his way to the championship. There was no rushing in Drian's career, he was given opponents according to his readiness for a new level of competition and that lead him to become a champ.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:06 am 
Middleweight

WBA Champ Drian vs WBC superfly champ tomas Rojas!!!

Bring it on!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:13 am 
Welterweight

It will be nice to have another Pilipino world champion, no question about that!

But I hope WBA will not just hand the title to Drian in a silver platter because it will lessen the value of the title and deprive Drian the honor of winning the title outright.

Perhaps it will be better if they arrange for a fight between Drian and the No. 2 contender and the winner gets the title.

Mas maganda siguro kung ganun. Iba kasi yung bigay kesa napanalunan.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:42 am 
Heavyweight

fan ni manny wrote:
dominic wrote:
a paper champion?

Well........... yeah. :biglaugh:

i hope he'd make it to be a full time and legitimate champion, not just a mere part timer.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next