Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:48 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:37 am 
Heavyweight

FRANCISCO VS DOMINGO SET FOR SEP. 24 AT CUNETA ASTRODOME

By Salven L. Lagumbay
PhilBoxing.com
Tue, 09 Aug 2011

An all-Filipino showdown with fireworks written all over it is expected to take place when ALA Gym's Michael "Bruce Lee" Domingo takes on Drian "Gintong Kamao" Francisco on September 24 at the Cuneta Astrodome in Pasay City.

This was revealed yesterday by ALA Promotions president Michael Aldeguer, who informed the media that the fight has been moved from its original September 10 playdate.

Francisco's manager Elmer Anuran, who heads Saved by the Bell Promotions that will put up this match-up along with TV-5, confirmed yesterday the final date and venue of the fight.

"Yes, it's confirmed for September 24 at Cuneta Astrodome," Anuran told this writer yesterday.

Francisco, the former interim WBA superflyweight king and rated WBA no. 4, is coming off a unanimous decision defeat at the hands of Thailand's Teerapith Singwancha last May and is hoping to test his skills against a credible opponent of Domingo's caliber.

Domingo, rated IBF no. 10, had lost to Vusi Malinga in an IBF bantam eliminator late last year, but hopes to line himself up for another shot at a world title with a win over the stylish Francisco.

The youthful Aldeguer, meanwhile, met with Cebu media yesterday at the Cebu Grand Hotel to formally announce its "Pinoy Pride 8: Philippines vs Mexico" event on September 10 at the Waterfront Cebu City Hotel.

Also present at yesterday's media gathering was ALA fighter Milan Milendo, who will duke it out with Mexican Francisco Rosas in the main event for the WBO Intercontinental flyweight championship over 12 rounds.

Also set to see action are Jason Pagara who will take on Mexican Rosbel Montoya, as well as Genesis Servania who is set to tangle with Mexican veteran Gerson Guerrero.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:39 am 
Heavyweight

Who am I gonna root for? minimini my nimo

why are they doing this?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:43 am 
Heavyweight

Manny Pangilinan might be testing the waters if boxing events held in Astrodome will generate much audience. If this will work, we might see more boxing events held in the Capital.

One good thing I also noticed, these 3 giant station are all interested in boxing. Hope this is a good start.

In this event, I will route with Dominggo. The last fight of Francisco had exposed him. He is throwing a lot of wild punches and misses most of them. If Dominggo can see those wild punches coming and work with some hard counterpunch, it will be a one sided decision.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:57 am 
Heavyweight

Nice, hope this is a start of something special. Our best boxers should face each other more. Here's a few more we all would like to see.

Boom2x vs Bernabe
Farenas vs Villanueva thunderbolt.
Saludar vs Banal
Melligen vs Laurente
Sonsona vs Cico Morales.
Pagara vs Suico

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:06 am 
Heavyweight

Numero uno wrote:
Nice, hope this is a start of something special. Our best boxers should face each other more. Here's a few more we all would like to see.

Boom2x vs Bernabe
Farenas vs Villanueva thunderbolt.
Saludar vs Banal
Melligen vs Laurente
Sonsona vs Cico Morales.
Pagara vs Suico

nice cards. i want to see these fights too! :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:46 am 
Cruiserweight

Gonna watch this one.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:51 pm 
Heavyweight

Francisco vs Domingo is a Filipino Boxing Fan's Dream Come True

By Dennis Guillermo

Upon learning that the proposed Filipino showdown between two of the country's best boxers in Drian "Gintong Kamao" Francisco and Michael "Bruce Lee" Domingo is officially going to go down on September 24 at the Cuneta Astrodome in Pasay, City, I couldn't help but cascade in the drama.

The bearer of the good news Salven Lagumbay, broke the news on Philboxing.com, and surely piqued every true Filipino boxing fan's imagination.

What? Two top Filipinos going at it? It's about dang time, if you ask me.

This match-up isn't quite the Nonito Donaire, Jr. vs. Brian Viloria mega-fight I was pimping a couple of years ago, but Francisco and Domingo are definitely two of the top fighters from the land of the three stars and eight-pointed sun.

These are grown men with skills. We're not talking about prospects, young rising stars or washed-up former champions here; these are two mature warriors who are on the cusp of contending for a world title, and simply need a break.

Well.. they may have to clip each other's wings to get there.

This marks a significant step in the right direction for Philippine boxing. Why bother bring in overmatched opponents from overseas just for the sake of hyping an event, when we got an abundance of talent to keep things in-house?

You won't have to worry about clowns, runners or dancers like that disappointing display by Tyson Cave against AJ Banal a couple of weeks ago. Filipinos come forward and fight. So when you got two of the best Filipino boxers inside that ring, expect Philippines New Year's Eve-type fireworks. And for sure, nobody will be claiming "hometown robbery" after the fight--"inside job" maybe.

Kidding aside, I am extremely excited for this event. This is the type of card that would make me jump on a plane to Manila, just to be ringside and bear witness.

Props to ALA Promotions, Saved by the Bell Promotions, TV-5 and everyone involved in this project for taking the risk, and making it happen.

This is an event that warrants the support of Filipino boxing fans. The success of this venture may very well dictate how the future of boxing promotions in the Philippines is conducted. You hear about all these promising Filipino talents come to the US, fight in countries like Mexico, Thailand and even in Europe, in their quest to become World Champions. A lot of them end up being forgotten after a loss.

Events like this will offer more opportunities for Filipino fighters to bounce back and hone their talents, as well as for others to get their names out there. Why not find out who truly is the best of the best, before we send them out there to test their wares against the world's finest?

I will be closely following Francisco and Domingo, and will break down this match-up in my upcoming columns. A lot of reader have already echoed my sentiments and are excited for this fight. Join the discussion on

Facebook.

-DG- visit http://www.DSOURCEboxing.com

Filipino Sports Examiner Dennis 'dSource' Guillermo is a freelance sports writer. You can find his articles on TV 5's Interaksyon.com, BoxingScene.com, The SunStar newspaper in the Philippines and SportsManila.net.

Continue reading on Examiner.com Francisco vs. Domingo is a Filipino Boxing fan's dream come true - National Filipino Sports | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/filipino-sports ... z1UdbD7o5q

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:05 pm 
Heavyweight

i'm sorry to say this but it is much better that a kapwa pinoy will expose a pinoy boxer as lacking in many arenas. kesa sa international scene pa siya ma exposed.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:07 am 
Featherweight

This is a very good way to eliminate those so called bums
before they enter into international arena.

I'm rooting for Domingo on this bout.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:33 am 
Heavyweight

Dang, I like both of them!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:40 am 
Heavyweight

Francisco versus Domingo: ''Somebody's going to fall''

By Dennis U. Eroa
PhilBoxing.com
Thu, 22 Sep 2011

Drian Francisco.

SOMEBODY’s going to fall and neither Drian ‘’Golden Fists’’ Francisco and Michael ‘’Bruce Lee’’ Domingo wouldn’t like to become the first man atop the ring to kiss the canvas.

‘‘It’s going to be an exciting fight and I can assure you that somebody’s going to get knock out,’’ said the 32-year-old Domingo of the famed ALA Promotions.

‘’All that I can say is that I no longer want to taste a loss. I’ve learned from my lessons well and I want to win this thriller of a fight,’’ said Francisco of the Touch Gloves Boxing Gym in Agoncillo, Batangas.

Both world-class boxers met Wednesday afternoon at the Tiara Oriental Hotel in Malugay at Makati City. They wowed the interested crowd with their humilty, courage and honesty as they prepare for a grand showdown September 23, Friday at the Makati Coliseum.

Promoted by Saved by the Bell Promotion headed by youthful Batangueño sportsman-businessman Elmer Anuran and Solar Sports, the card dubbed as Pinoy Warriors is free to the public on a first-come, first-served basis.

Anuran, ALA Promotion vice-president Dennis Cañete, Francisco, Domingo, trainers Edito Villamor and Benny de la Peña met the press. Also present were Touch Gloves’ Roberto Gonzales and Davaoeño Balweg Bangoyan who will clash in the main supporting event.

Others present were GAB chairman Ramon Guanzon, Commissioner Fritz Gaston, boxing chief Dr.Nasser Cruz and boxing writers including Dennis ‘The Source’’ Guillermo, who came all the way from Las Vegas, Nevada.

Saved by the Bell executives Danny Anuran and Rod Nebiar were also present. The parents of Francisco were also present along with Solar bigwigs.

Both Francisco (20-1-1, 16 KOs) and Domingo (42-15-3, 23 KOs) expressed their readiness for the bout.

‘’I trained hard for this bout because I am going up against a former world champion,’’ said Domingo.

Domingo’s trainer Villamor said they have studied Francisco’s past fights against Robert Nuñez, Ricardo Vasquez, Duangpetch Kokietgym and Tepparith Singwancha.

‘’We have devised our fight plans thoroughly and it’s up to Domingo to make the adjustments if necessary,’’ said the battle-scarred Villamor. ’’Francisco is going to be a tough customer.’’

Francisco’s trainer De la Peña said they have a great training camp in Agoncillo. ’’You can say that we’ve learned from our mistakes,’’ Anuran said it is rare for ring fans to watch this kind of matchup.’’Both fighters are no pushovers. SBB and Solar put up this card for the fans who thirst for real boxing action. This is it,’’ said Anuran.

Canete shared Anuran’s belief. ‘’This is going to be a thrilling fight. We studied Elmer’s offer very well and we feel that this will be for the good of boxing. We also feel that this is going to be a fair fight and we have an even chance of winning.’’

Solar Sports’ executive Paolo Diaz said Pinoy Warriors is a testament to Solar’s commitment to excellence. He mentioned that the Francisco-Domingo bout is being compared by jaded observers to the Manny Pacquiao-Reynante Jamili bout.

‘’We don’t want to disappoint the fans,’’ said Diaz, a triathlete.

Anuran said the main supporting bout between Gonzales and Bangoyan will also delight the fans.

‘’Like Domingo and Francisco, Gonzales-Bangoyan will be action-packed,’’ said Anuran, who thanked the Makati City government headed by Mayor Junjun Binay for supporting the event.

Cañete also said that the door are open for SBB to bring its act to Cebu in the near future, while Anuran said his group will absolutely love to fight infront of Cebuano fans.
''The main thing is that SBB and ALA talk on the basis of true sportsmanship,'' Anuran concluded.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:04 am 
Strawweight

Saan po kaya pwede bumili ng ticket ng Fight na ito... Sa venue ba mismo? Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:07 am 
Cruiserweight

It is free to public, first come first serve basis!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:10 am 
Light Heavyweight

I'm gonna watch this. cuneta astrodome is 50 steps away from my condo. :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:13 am 
Light Heavyweight

TheIconoclast wrote:
FRANCISCO VS DOMINGO SET FOR SEP. 24 AT CUNETA ASTRODOME

By Salven L. Lagumbay
PhilBoxing.com
Tue, 09 Aug 2011

An all-Filipino showdown with fireworks written all over it is expected to take place when ALA Gym's Michael "Bruce Lee" Domingo takes on Drian "Gintong Kamao" Francisco on September 24 at the Cuneta Astrodome in Pasay City.

This was revealed yesterday by ALA Promotions president Michael Aldeguer, who informed the media that the fight has been moved from its original September 10 playdate.

Francisco's manager Elmer Anuran, who heads Saved by the Bell Promotions that will put up this match-up along with TV-5, confirmed yesterday the final date and venue of the fight.

"Yes, it's confirmed for September 24 at Cuneta Astrodome," Anuran told this writer yesterday.

Francisco, the former interim WBA superflyweight king and rated WBA no. 4, is coming off a unanimous decision defeat at the hands of Thailand's Teerapith Singwancha last May and is hoping to test his skills against a credible opponent of Domingo's caliber.

Domingo, rated IBF no. 10, had lost to Vusi Malinga in an IBF bantam eliminator late last year, but hopes to line himself up for another shot at a world title with a win over the stylish Francisco.

The youthful Aldeguer, meanwhile, met with Cebu media yesterday at the Cebu Grand Hotel to formally announce its "Pinoy Pride 8: Philippines vs Mexico" event on September 10 at the Waterfront Cebu City Hotel.

Also present at yesterday's media gathering was ALA fighter Milan Milendo, who will duke it out with Mexican Francisco Rosas in the main event for the WBO Intercontinental flyweight championship over 12 rounds.

Also set to see action are Jason Pagara who will take on Mexican Rosbel Montoya, as well as Genesis Servania who is set to tangle with Mexican veteran Gerson Guerrero.

bro do you have any idea kung anong oras mag uumpisa ito?