Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:20 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:37 pm 
Middleweight

Based from Drian's recent performance, I didn't see any significant changes made by Justine Fortune on him. His defense is poor, leans on the ropes longer while covering when being bombarded with punches by an aggressive fighter. He failed to utilize his long reach and occasionally throws lazy jabs. Drian got that unique reach that would supposedly gives him a huge advantage if he only jabs more often while circling around his opponent with good lateral movement. I think fortune failed to see this asset, maybe roach was right in bashing him as purely a "conditioning coach".

For Drian, I hope he read this thread. You have to master the fundamentals, you've got a rare asset. You've got powerful hooks and straights but you failed to execute them properly. Learn to jab more often and do not lean back straight-headed in avoiding punches. Good power from your punches rely on proper stance and foot work. Your wide stance diminishes your power and you should learn ducking punches not just by leaning backward, use the bob and weave and shoulder roll and be busy with your jabs to avoid accumulating to many punches.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:50 pm 
Heavyweight

I saw Drian reaching for his punches too much. A very decent boxer with a good punch can take advantage of that flaw in Francisco's arsenal.

Not good.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:51 pm 
Middleweight

mexifan wrote:
I saw Drian reaching for his punches too much. A very decent boxer with a good punch can take advantage of that flaw in Francisco's arsenal.

Not good.

Agree... he would be susceptible to counters.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:56 pm 
Welterweight

devondenom wrote:
Based from Drian's recent performance, I didn't see any significant changes made by Justine Fortune on him. His defense is poor, leans on the ropes longer while covering when being bombarded with punches by an aggressive fighter. He failed to utilize his long reach and occasionally throws lazy jabs. Drian got that unique reach that would supposedly gives him a huge advantage if he only jabs more often while circling around his opponent with good lateral movement. I think fortune failed to see this asset, maybe roach was right in bashing him as purely a "conditioning coach".

For Drian, I hope he read this thread. You have to master the fundamentals, you've got a rare asset. You've got powerful hooks and straights but you failed to execute them properly. Learn to jab more often and do not lean back straight-headed in avoiding punches. Good power from your punches rely on proper stance and foot work. Your wide stance diminishes your power and you should learn ducking punches not just by leaning backward, use the bob and weave and shoulder roll and be busy with your jabs to avoid accumulating to many punches.

Why don't u apply for Drian's trainer :lol:
In fairness to Justine Fortune, give him more time to adjust with the style of Drian.
Just watch the video of Drian Francisco on youtube, he's more matured now
compare to the previous fight which he actually showboating in some rounds.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:03 pm 
Middleweight

it's too early to tell as I believe this is the first time Drian hooked up with Justine...training is not just developing skills or tapping talents but building up the fighter's mentality and I think Justine can help a lot on that department and other intangibles as well..we'll see.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:09 pm 
Welterweight

onelenz wrote:
it's too early to tell as I believe this is the first time Drian hooked up with Justine...training is not just developing skills or tapping talents but building up the fighter's mentality and I think Justine can help a lot on that department and other intangibles as well..we'll see.

Agree :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:13 pm 
Heavyweight

Don't you just get irked when people give out and opinion then someone with an opposing opinion comes out and say, why don't you apply as his trainer?

Jeez man there's no need for that. The TS was being respectful. Please extend the same courtesy.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:29 pm 
Welterweight

mexifan wrote:
Don't you just get irked when people give out and opinion then someone with an opposing opinion comes out and say, why don't you apply as his trainer?

Jeez man there's no need for that. The TS was being respectful. Please extend the same courtesy.

The TS mentioned that Justine Fortune did nothing special with Drian right?
Tell me if that is respectful? Justine Fortune works with Drian for only one fight
against Gallo, so it means the TS is underestimating the capacity of Justine Fortune
as a Trainer. He should give him time to polished the skills of Drian instead of posting
a thread like this. It's to early to tell Bro... :(

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:35 pm 
Light Heavyweight

ilan laban na ba trainer ni drian si justine?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:37 pm 
Middleweight

TREVSKII wrote:
Why don't u apply for Drian's trainer...

I'm just sharing my point... which is for me, a fact based on what i see

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:38 pm 
Welterweight

fonzy wrote:

Isang laban pa lng bro against Gallo..

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:41 pm 
Lightweight

devondenom wrote:
TREVSKII wrote:
Why don't u apply for Drian's trainer...

I'm just sharing my point... which is for me, a fact based on what i see

I agree with this, we are follow Paclanders here who are trying to share thoughts. I can say also that Robert Garcia or even Freddie Roach are already declining trainers and should already retire... This does not mean that I disrespected them... It is totally different when I outright slam someone's opinion with below the belt comments....

Do not justify any longer dude.. Just apologize

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:45 pm 
Light Heavyweight

TREVSKII wrote:
fonzy wrote:

Isang laban pa lng bro against Gallo..

iisa palang?

T.S, give justine time. even freddie roach did not change manny pacquiao instantly after the first fight. :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:46 pm 
Middleweight

TREVSKII wrote:
Tell me if that is respectful? Justine Fortune works with Drian for only one fight
against Gallo, so it means the TS is underestimating the capacity of Justine Fortune
as a Trainer. He should give him time to polished the skills of Drian instead of posting

Is telling the truth a disrespect? I don't think my statement is harsh enough to be one. Respect is earned, and if Justine Fortune want to earn it he should show a proof. Fortune also did part in training dapudong and balweg bangoyan and what happened to these fighters? Who's world champion did he coached? I do compliment his part in Pacquiao's success but on the level of conditioning.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:49 pm 
Heavyweight

TREVSKII wrote:
mexifan wrote:

"Justine Fortune did nothing special for Drian" is not disrespectful as the statement was a personal opinion which was based on observation followed by positive reinforcement by stating it would do Drian well if he master the fundamentals etc. It's not like he called him a "bum". While your statement, "Why don't you apply as his trainer?" contained malice and insult towards the TS.

Palusot ka pa.