Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:05 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:02 pm 
Middleweight

bugoyparin wrote:
the TS did nothing special with his thread but just to defend what he did say against justine fortune...

Of course that's what i'm trying to do... proving while I still have the fact that can support my claim. I never consider it as something special, I'm just sharing my thought.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:14 pm 
Heavyweight

devondenom wrote:
bugoyparin wrote:
the TS did nothing special with his thread but just to defend what he did say against justine fortune...
Of course that's what i'm trying to do... proving while I still have the fact that can support my claim. I never consider it as something special, I'm just sharing my thought.

here's some fact... http://philboxing.com/news/columns.php? ... 6&id=77190

Francisco found a new trainer in Justine Fortune and a new training ground in Fortune's Gym in Hollywood. Initial plans were for him to fight for a tough IBF eliminator against an unbeaten fighter in Julio Ceja tomorrow, November 17th. A win over Ceja and his dreams of fighting for a title will be realized soon.

Francisco trained with Ceja on his mind but Ceja was just a name out of a box for him. The fight was never realized, not even in paper. Francisco later on learned that Ceja has an opponent already and it is not him.

And so the famous T.B.A. (To Be Announced) opponent lingered across his name in Boxrec. Francisco continued training against a faceless opponent. Something that has frustrated him and his trainer as it prevented them in forming strategies come fight night.

And then two weeks ago, a very tempting offer was made to Francisco. It was a very attractive offer, a great opportunity for a boxer like him. The idea of him fighting for a world title was mentioned, albeit in a higher class. And the name that was mentioned to him and his trainer was the WBA's 122 pound champ, Guillermo Rigondeaux.

Francisco, his team, fans and his trainer drool at that "big fight" for days. His team was informed that it is about eighty percent done. So, Francisco trained with Rigondeaux on his mind at that time. But eighty percent does not mean anything in boxing unless the contract is signed. And as fast as the news that Francisco vs. Rigondeaux is set for December 15th in Houston, it also took a whirlwind of internet reports to quell it down. Rigondeaux is fighting as planned but not against him.

And so, it is back to Mr. T.B.A. for Francisco, back to a nameless and faceless foe for him. And it is taking a toll on Francisco, both mentally and physically. Fortune halted his ward's training, anticipating the Rigondeaux fight so as not to over train Francisco. But December 15th reverted back to November 17th and the cramming to get back in training mode is frustrating both fighter and trainer.

Frustrated but facing the reality of not fighting at all, Francisco returned to training mode a week ago. He initially had hesitations of fighting because of the never ending changes that have occurred in the past few days, but Francisco decided against it after thinking it over.

And at last, he gets an opponent. It wasn't necessarily the caliber of opposition that was initially offered to him in the past and one that he has set his mind to. But it is a job and a reason for him not to waste the last six weeks of hard work that he has done.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:27 pm 
Middleweight

onelenz wrote:
it's too early to tell as I believe this is the first time Drian hooked up with Justine...training is not just developing skills or tapping talents but building up the fighter's mentality and I think Justine can help a lot on that department and other intangibles as well..we'll see.

Now that's a well versed opinion. Yes it's true that justine handled drian's training for the first time but because I followed his ways ever since I became Pacquiao fan I could not help but expect something better because he's been with freddie for a long time and he should have that expertise even for the first time. When Manny was coached by Freddie for the first time I could already observe the excellent footwork and good placement of punches and he's way better than the previous fights. But hey you could not blame from expecting that much from him, he's not new in this field and he was a former boxer that supposed to be another plus factor for him to fully convince the fighter he trained about such technique to be executed properly.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:31 pm 
Light Heavyweight

nanalo na nga si drian via KO pa tapos nagkakaganyan ka pa? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

pano na lang kung talo pa? :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:20 pm 
Heavyweight

Remember roach and Pac took years

Learning and progress comes from being open minded.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:28 pm 
Middleweight

I think TS has a good point but also let's wait until Drian's next fight if there's any vast improvements. I hate to wait and see if Drian will lose but hey at least he's here in the States and getting some exposure. The main thing is that he's getting some quality sparring and getting some help with a new Trainer. I understand Justine is doing a lot of running around trying to get some sparring for Drian, I think he's trying to make a point that he's also a good Trainer. We will see, go Drian make us proud Kabayan!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:18 pm 
Welterweight

fonzy wrote:
nanalo na nga si drian via KO pa tapos nagkakaganyan ka pa? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

pano na lang kung talo pa? :D

Baka maglupasay na cya sa galit k Fortune :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:30 am 
Middleweight

Drian has enormous power and this is rare in boxing. But his last fight, I saw an akward and amateurish boxer that boasts only of his chin and power. Drian can be easily beaten by an ordinary no power boxer on points. This is a pity. Yes Fortune just trained him for one fight. But at least, Fortune could have taught him how to throw his hooks. His hooks were so wide and telegraphic. His arms are always low. And I believe Drian gassed out without being hit on the body so much. Sayang si Drian. He has to get a better trainer who can teach him the fundamentals. You were all saying Fortune just trained him once. Marvin Somodio just trained Villoria once but look what happened? The performance was spectacular. Drian should get a better trainer if he wants to win all his fights.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:42 am 
Heavyweight

so you are saying that he is a bum in the making,ts?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:54 pm 
Middleweight

batang kamuning wrote:
so you are saying that he is a bum in the making,ts?

Labeling a "bum" on a world-champion prospect is not on my vocabulary. The argument here is about how he is being mold on the basis of skills and techniques.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:37 pm 
Lightweight

devondenom wrote:
Based from Drian's recent performance, I didn't see any significant changes made by Justine Fortune on him. His defense is poor, leans on the ropes longer while covering when being bombarded with punches by an aggressive fighter. He failed to utilize his long reach and occasionally throws lazy jabs. Drian got that unique reach that would supposedly gives him a huge advantage if he only jabs more often while circling around his opponent with good lateral movement. I think fortune failed to see this asset, maybe roach was right in bashing him as purely a "conditioning coach".

For Drian, I hope he read this thread. You have to master the fundamentals, you've got a rare asset. You've got powerful hooks and straights but you failed to execute them properly. Learn to jab more often and do not lean back straight-headed in avoiding punches. Good power from your punches rely on proper stance and foot work. Your wide stance diminishes your power and you should learn ducking punches not just by leaning backward, use the bob and weave and shoulder roll and be busy with your jabs to avoid accumulating to many punches.

Justine has a very good grasp of fundamentals and would know how to correct the bad habits developed by Drian. If you can grab hold of a copy of the instructional DVD from Ringside, you will see Justine Fortune at work. Drian needs to work on balance and coordination. A good conditioning coach should be able to offer some plyometric exercises that would address these two while building up core strength. I think many Filipino boxers develop an awkward style like Drian because they do not have amateur experience. On the other hand as it could also be an asset due to its unpredictability.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:41 pm 
Heavyweight

The TS just want Drian to learn the shoulder roll defense... :lol: :lol: :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=228445&hilit=

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:25 pm 
Middleweight

Dan Rightcross wrote:
... I think many Filipino boxers develop an awkward style like Drian because they do not have amateur experience. On the other hand as it could also be an asset due to its unpredictability.

I agree on these quotes, however, Drian's awkwardness could be taken advantage of by an intelligent fighter. Specially those who have more experience in the ring.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:26 pm 
Middleweight

redhorse wrote:
The TS just want Drian to learn the shoulder roll defense... :lol: :lol: :lol:

And why not? It's just a suggestion anyway. I admit that I'm quite fascinated by such technique.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:48 pm 
Middleweight

bugoyparin wrote:
...Frustrated but facing the reality of not fighting at all, Francisco returned to training mode a week ago. He initially had hesitations of fighting because of the never ending changes that have occurred in the past few days, but Francisco decided against it after thinking it over.

And at last, he gets an opponent. It wasn't necessarily the caliber of opposition that was initially offered to him in the past and one that he has set his mind to. But it is a job and a reason for him not to waste the last six weeks of hard work that he has done.

I do appreciate the article you presented but regardless of these changes Justine should know better in coping up with it because his fully aware that these situation would happen to a boxer sooner or later because he was once a boxer. Manny is on a short week's notice on his championship bout with Lebdwaba but during the fight Manny's improvement on footwork, punch placement, and defense is evident that is why Manny is confident on his punches. And that was only the first time Manny hooks up with Freddie.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next