Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:21 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:15 pm 
Cruiserweight

DRIAN FRANCISCO TO FIGHT RIGONDEAUX FOR WBA TITLE ON COTTO-ALVAREZ UNDERCARD

Go Drian - Kick that SOB Rigo's b@tt !

========
y Ronnie Nathanielsz
PhilBoxing.com
Sat, 14 Nov 2015

Filipino super bantamweight Drian Franicisco will fight undefeated Guillermo Rigndeaux for his WBA super bantamweight title on the undercard of the middleweight showdown between Miguel Cotto and Saul “Canelo" Alvarez on November 22, Manila Time, at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, in a fight card to be telecast by TV5.

The New Standard/boxingmirror.com learned of the Francisco-Rigondeux title fight when Francisco pulled out of a scheduled ten round bout against rugged Danilo Pena in an MP Promotions USA fight card at the Philippine Navy Gymnasium in Fort Bonifacio on Friday evening.

Francisco revealed that he “had an offer from MP Promotions to fight abroad against Rigondeaux for a world championship. This is a chance for me for a world championship and this normally doesn’t happen and this is okay for me.

Asked whether he was in condition to fight Rogondeaux, Francisco said “I am in shape because I was supposed to fight tonight and I am a little slim and when asked whether I could make the weight (122 pounds) I said when I enter the ring I will only be five or six pounds heavier so easy for me to lose weight to make the limit.”

When told that Rigondeaux, the two-time Cuban Olympic gold medalist was an extremely good fighter, Francisco said “if you think you can handle him you will but if you think you cannot, you will not.”

Francisco indicated that he had long dreamed of fighting Rigondeaux and that he believed he could beat him.

When boxing man Mike Ochosa who covered the MP Promotions fight card for Viva Sports asked Drian what he needs to do against Rigondeaux, he replied “I need heart and believe that as a Pinoy we will rarely get a chance to fight for a championship. This is a battle of hearts and good physical condition.”

He said he believes as an outstanding amateur whose style in the pros is still the same Rigondeaux would be befuddled by his unorthodox style and while there are those who believe he hasn’t a chance he has confidence in himself to be able to take the unbeaten world champion.

╚╝╚╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩═╩╩╩╩╩═╝

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:22 pm 
Heavyweight

Wow!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:30 pm 
Cruiserweight

I want Drian to Kick that Boring Rigo out of the boxing circle and get his belt !!
We don't need boring boxers like Rigo and Floyd !!

╚╝╚╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩═╩╩╩╩╩═╝

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:06 pm 
Heavyweight

francisco doesnt look good he got KTFO in round 1 by a journey man early this year.
but still he got a punchers chance.
good luck kabayan!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:30 pm 
Heavyweight

It's a suicide fight for Drian.
I'd like him to win, but he can't.. Rigo gonna get kicked his azz.
Anyways, this fight will give him good exposures and some better monetary rewards.

To be the one so dog preferred."
- Robert Frost

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:23 pm 
Light Heavyweight

rigo might be over confident. francisco must throw a lot of punches and need not to respect rigos power. :D :vomit2: :combo: :lol: :combo: :beer: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:42 pm 
Light Heavyweight

i think it not yet official, because boxrec says nothing http://boxrec.com/boxer/492989

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:13 pm 
Cruiserweight

Go Drian ! Kick that SOB Boring Rigo !

╚╝╚╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩═╩╩╩╩╩═╝

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:48 pm 
Cruiserweight

My mind says "Has Driane beaten or even faced somebody like Rigo? NO. So, it's not a question of whether Drian will lose or not, but how bad..."

My heart says "Sana manalo naman please, kahit tsamba! " :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:30 am 
Heavyweight

Yes, there is always a chance as long as one doesn't give up. maybe Drian will indeed confuse Rigo :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:03 am 
Welterweight

Congratulations to Drian for landing this significant fight. However, based on previous fights I've watched and other factors, I think he is a heavy underdog and I highly doubt he will beat Rigo. But at least he will get top level exposure on the Cotto vs Alvarez undercard and earn some good money after the fight.

For one, a lot of Drian's punches are wide open. This will give Rigo an opportunity to counter him. Second, Drian's defense isn't that great and definitely not as good as Rigo's. Once he gets hurt he doesn't even know how to hold and survive the round. Third, Drian hasn't fought somebody at the same class as Rigo. Although Drian has fought in the US 3 times, Thailand twice, and Mexico once, the rest of his fights were primarily in the Philippines and not in the same class. According to Boxrec, he is ranked #12 in the Philippines and #92 in the world. If he can beat people like Nonito Donaire, Carl Frampton, or Scott Quigg, then I think he will have a good chance against Rigo. But without that kind of experience, I don't know if he's ready. He will end up getting a boxing lesson from Rigo.

Plus, Drian got this fight on short notice with only days left to prepare. It takes months to train and develop a strategy against a guy like Rigo. So w/such short notice, this is not enough time to prepare. Although Drian is physically in shape since he just dropped out of his original fight, his team and he himself hasn't prepared against Rigo specifically. Simply being in shape isn't good enough. Maybe against mediocre opposition that's OK but not against a guy like Rigo.

Some compare Drian's fighting style to Luisito Espinosa. However, the difference is that Espinosa was an intelligent boxer who knew how to out think his opponents. So although their styles may be similar, he doesn't have the boxing smarts that Espinosa has.

I think Albert Pagara and Genesis Servania should also get a chance at Rigo. If a lower ranking boxer like Drian can get a shot, Pagara and Servania should deserve a shot as well. But of course boxing politics isn't always fair.

I will be going for Drian Francisco. I really hope he wins but just by looking at his stats and looking at what Rigo has to offer, at least on paper it doesn't appear Drian has a good chance of winning this fight. He does have good power so he has a puncher's chance. But as Donaire learned, it takes more than just power to beat Rigo.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:58 am 
Light Heavyweight

Drian is just a fill-in fighter because Rigo has no one to fight with 1 week left. Panakip butas lang.

This is no exposure for Drian because when people see him get beat up he will be forgotten like a dead leaf in the wind.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:36 am 
Heavyweight

Good luck Drian....... 8)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:37 am 
Heavyweight

i see drian kissing the canvass multiple times

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:18 am 
Cruiserweight

Advance condolence to Drian, I'm seeing his *** being woofed by this boring methodical boxer. But of course you could always proof me wrong. :lol: :lol: :lol: