Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:43 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:49 am 
Middleweight

the image of The Pac Man is copyrighted and nobody is allowed to use this image without the direct permission from Namco. So apparently Floyd Mayweather Jr may have violated a copyright image which is a violation of the law. The penalty first would be to cease and desist on making anymore shirts that has the Pac Man image, then the penalty can go up to $30,000 for each work infringement up to $150,000. The infringer (Floyd) will also have to pay the attorney fees incurred by the copyright owner. Given Floyd’s lack of thought, this could spell another problem for Floyd. Floyd Jr is facing a lawsuit for slander and defamation of character from Manny Pacquiao. Floyd is also facing charges of larceny and assault against his former girl friend and mother of his children Josie Harris. And also on two separate incidences, 2 security guards were assaulted by Floyd and is now heading to court. Now there is a possibility the owners of the image of Pac Man may have to notify Floyd Mayweather Jr to cease making anymore shirts with the Pac Man image. The Superstar doesn’t know if someone contacted the owner of the Pac Man image and if they have been made aware of the use of their Pac Man image. The Superstar wonders if Floyd Jr is aware that he may have violated the law again? Has Floyd ever entertained the idea that he should not be using a copyrighted image? Apparently those who are in Team Mayweather did not bother to check if they broke the law. It does not surprise The Superstar, Team Mayweather are more focused on kissing up to Floyd rather than keeping him out of trouble.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:57 am 
Middleweight

He represents his people...or his people represent him. Either way, bo-bo!

Been there, Done that.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:25 am 
Heavyweight

Well, the browser tab of Pacland shows the Pacman image :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:58 am 
Lightweight

"Well, the browser tab of Pacland shows the Pacman image"

@gritsteel2: Good point. TECHNICALLY-SPEAKING Pacland could be liable for copyright infringement (especially since this site is an income-generating site)!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:38 am 
Middleweight

boxingsense wrote:

@gritsteel2: Good point. TECHNICALLY-SPEAKING Pacland could be liable for copyright infringement (especially since this site is an income-generating site)!

It could be a yellow pie chart in a black background as long as it doesn't have any pellets or wafers or an eye like the stupid T-shirt Floyd jr. made.

A yellow piechart with a black background without the names (WITH a Hyphen) Pac-Land or Pac-Man (TM of NAMCO) or waffers or pellets or a piechart with an eye is, I think, viable.

This site can also put a disclaimer that any Pac-Man or Pac-Land logo or images, should it be on this site, is the TM of NAMCO.

PACMAN or PACLAND doesn't have the hyphen when used for Pacquiao or this website, so I think they can get away with it.

I hope Google got permission for their Pac-Man rendition:http://www.google.com/pacman/

Been there, Done that.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:23 pm 
Middleweight

Phracker wrote:
boxingsense wrote:

It could be a yellow pie chart in a black background as long as it doesn't have any pellets or wafers or an eye like the stupid T-shirt Floyd jr. made.

A yellow piechart with a black background without the names (WITH a Hyphen) Pac-Land or Pac-Man (TM of NAMCO) or waffers or pellets or a piechart with an eye is, I think, viable.

This site can also put a disclaimer that any Pac-Man or Pac-Land logo or images, should it be on this site, is the TM of NAMCO.

PACMAN or PACLAND doesn't have the hyphen when used for Pacquiao or this website, so I think they can get away with it.

I hope Google got permission for their Pac-Man rendition:http://www.google.com/pacman/

:shock:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:35 pm 
Heavyweight

Phracker wrote:
boxingsense wrote:

Pacquiao image on Pacland was made way way before Namco have the exclusive contract. Hence Pacland did not breach the Namco contract.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:14 pm 
Light Heavyweight

if he is selling those shirts then yes, if he isn't then no

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:06 am 
Heavyweight

LAUGHINGMAN wrote:

i dont think anyone would be buying those shirts

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:18 am 
Middleweight

TheSubversive wrote:
LAUGHINGMAN wrote:

i dont think anyone would be buying those shirts

its not for sale.... for giveaways from 50 cents :) :) :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:12 am 
Light Heavyweight

Jet7 wrote:
the image of The Pac Man is copyrighted and nobody is allowed to use this image without the direct permission from Namco. So apparently Floyd Mayweather Jr may have violated a copyright image which is a violation of the law. The penalty first would be to cease and desist on making anymore shirts that has the Pac Man image, then the penalty can go up to $30,000 for each work infringement up to $150,000. The infringer (Floyd) will also have to pay the attorney fees incurred by the copyright owner. Given Floyd’s lack of thought, this could spell another problem for Floyd. Floyd Jr is facing a lawsuit for slander and defamation of character from Manny Pacquiao. Floyd is also facing charges of larceny and assault against his former girl friend and mother of his children Josie Harris. And also on two separate incidences, 2 security guards were assaulted by Floyd and is now heading to court. Now there is a possibility the owners of the image of Pac Man may have to notify Floyd Mayweather Jr to cease making anymore shirts with the Pac Man image. The Superstar doesn’t know if someone contacted the owner of the Pac Man image and if they have been made aware of the use of their Pac Man image. The Superstar wonders if Floyd Jr is aware that he may have violated the law again? Has Floyd ever entertained the idea that he should not be using a copyrighted image? Apparently those who are in Team Mayweather did not bother to check if they broke the law. It does not surprise The Superstar, Team Mayweather are more focused on kissing up to Floyd rather than keeping him out of trouble.

The TS himself is guilty of plagiarism. Aside from just copy/pasting the original source of the above statement and making it appear that he kind of wrote the article, he should have also provided the link to the original article below.

http://www.nowboxing.com/2011/06/manny- ... law/17955/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:32 am 
Cruiserweight

Don't care about Mayweather's court litigation problems... for all I care, they can lock him up and throw away the keys... :boohoo: :peace: :toast:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:21 am 
Light Heavyweight

Jet7 wrote:

How about "Brothers from another mother", is it alright to copy images and post it in Pacland ? Want to post images long time ago but thinking of infringement or copyright violation prevented me of doing so. Hope if you have some knowledge about this please let us know if it is safe here in Pacland.