Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:48 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7458 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 498  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:39 pm 
Heavyweight

I thinks it's high time to go ga-ga over SOCCER! :biglaugh:

^WELCOME TO THE OFFICIAL THREAD OF THE AZKALS^

Post updates, videos, links, images, live streaming etc. about our Official Soccer Team.

Soccer Fans, Haters and Bandwagoners!!! Welcome Aboard! :biglaugh:

ImagePhilippines Squad List

Goalkeepers
1 ETHERIDGE, Neil
20 CAMCAM, Christopher
22 SACAPAÑO, Eduard
34 PASCUAL, Jose

Defenders
2 GIER, Robert
3 BARBASO, Jerry
4 DEL ROSARIO, Anton
11 BORROMEO, Alexander
12 PAVONE, Gino
15 PALMES, Rey
24 ATIENZA, Michael
25 BERMEJO, Joebel
28 RELUCIO, Kristopher
30 HARTMANN, Matthew

Midfielders
5 CAMINOS, Jose
6 GENER, Roel
7 YOUNGHUSBAND, James
8 OTT, Manuel
10 YOUNGHUSBAND, Philip
14 FERRER, Mark
17 DE JONG, Jason
18 BALLO-ALLO, Joel
19 MARGARSE, Nestorio Jr.
21 JAUGAN, Peter
27 JONSSON, Ray
32 SCHROCK, Stephan

Forwards
9 BARSALES, Yanti
13 CALIGDONG, Emelio
23 ARANETA, Ian
26 BASA, David

Coach: MCMENEM, Simon (England)

The win over Vietnam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3j9WILj39Q&feature=player_embedded

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:39 pm 
Heavyweight

Cge nice start bro Freewheeze.. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:42 pm 
Light Heavyweight

why azkals? do they look like a dog? :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:43 pm 
Heavyweight

AFTER Donaire and Pacquiao, it’s football as our men’s team are the latest sports heroes. Want to know how our squad got its nickname, AZKALS?

Max Limpag, the ultramarathon man who ran 50K the other Saturday, was a former soccer fanatic. Here’s his story…

“In July 2005, I got into a discussion with former FC Korsaaven (that’s the name of our college team in UP Diliman) football teammate Noel Villaflor and former Sun.Star Cebu sports reporter Glenn Michelina on the moniker for the Philippine football team.

“In an online forum on football, someone suggested calling them askals. We laughed at first but then thought it could be a good moniker. I said we were askals because we lack football pedigree. I think it was Noel who said it’s also a good play on Calle Azul because the Philippine team color is blue. We were also askals in a way because the team was abandoned by government and lacked needed support.

“Glenn Michelina then did a quick drawing of a logo of a fierce-looking dog with the country’s colors. Noel submitted it to the forum and I blogged about it in my site.

I didn’t know the moniker would stick after all these years. But one that didn’t stick was “irbogs” for irong buang, which we proposed to call people like ourselves, rabid die-hard fans.”

The brother of Max—our sports editor, Mike Limpag—wrote an expanded version of the ASKALS story five years ago, “Fans want RP booters to be named ‘Askals.’” Here are excerpts of Mike’s article…

“The Netherlands has the Orangemen, France is Les Bleus, and Italy has the Azures.
Philippine football fans want to call their national team Askals.

“The menacing street dog has just been elevated to national icon status after a few fans threw around an idea on what to call the national team in an Internet forum dedicated to Philippine football.

“Names like Tamaraws and Eagles came up first before the fans agreed on Askal, short for asong kalye or street dog…

“One fan has come up with an Askal logo, and plans to have it reproduced on shirts and flags are being discussed by regular posters Graeme Mackinnon and others.

“Even coach Aris Caslib is on with the idea: “I want to know if the design for the Askal is final because we might help in producing the shirts,” he told Sun.Star Cebu in an earlier interview.

“As to whether the national team will be as menacing as the street dog is left to be seen as they are still to test their readiness in a pre-Seag tournament in Vietnam before leaving for a month-long training in China.”

Thanks, Max and Mike.

More on the football hysteria, I sought the commentary of Graeme Mackinnon. Australian-born but—after 14 years here—Cebuano by heart, Graeme had this reaction:

“One win and the Philippines has woken up to football. Such is the impact of that historic win by the Azkals 2-0 over highly-fancied Vietnam. We are still in the group stage and hopefully overnight the Azkals have booked their place in the semi-finals of the AFF Suzuki Cup. There has been a tsunami-like groundswell of support for the Azkals. The country is experiencing international football fever the likes of which we haven’t seen before. There are new Azkal logos, musical anthems on YouTube and Azkal tributes on Facebook. Facebook is in meltdown. There are just so many people talking about the team.

“Azkal coach Simon McMenemy was criticized by Vietnam’s coach Henrique Calisto for his tactics. McMenemy’s tactics were correct. He knows the strengths and weaknesses of his team and set his tactics accordingly. His foundation for the win was the defense.

If they don’t score then the Azkals don’t lose. As the highly-favored Vietnamese became more frustrated, the Azkal counterattacks took advantage of the holes in the Vietnamese defense. Calisto had no answer to the AZKAL tactics and so his criticism smacks of sour grapes. So fire the bark up and be loud and proud of the Philippine AZKALS football team!”

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/sports/p ... noel-azkal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:44 pm 
Heavyweight

Looks like the Azkals are in for a rough semi-finals match with Indonesia as both Semi-Final games will be held in Indonesia...

http://www.affsuzukicup.com/_webapp_740 ... out_stages

DATE DAY MATCH # MATCH LOCAL TIME GMT VENUE
15-Dec WEDNESDAY 13 (SF-1) MALAYSIA vs. VIETNAM 2000hrs 1200hrs BUKIT JALIL STADIUM, KUALA LUMPUR
16-Dec THURSDAY 14 (SF-1) PHILIPPINES vs. INDONESIA 1900hrs 1200hrs GELORA BUNG KARNO , JAKARTA
18-Dec SATURDAY 15 (SF-2) VIETNAM vs. MALAYSIA 1900hrs 1200hrs MY DINH STADIUM, HANOI
19-Dec SUNDAY 16 (SF-2) INDONESIA vs. PHILIPPINES 1900hrs 1200hrs GELORA BUNG KARNO, JAKARTA

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:45 pm 
Cruiserweight

Go Azkals!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:48 pm 
Heavyweight

kiddynamitekwiki wrote:
Go Azkals!!!

so this is the logo? cool!

Light Heavyweight

kiddynamitekwiki wrote:
Go Azkals!!!

nice

Heavyweight

peterjack wrote:
why azkals? do they look like a dog? :D

read dwight's post about the team name

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:49 pm 
Light Heavyweight

kiddynamitekwiki wrote:
Go Azkals!!!

is this the official logo? :shock: or is it just according to your kumpare? :D hehehe! di mukhang askal. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:51 pm 
Heavyweight

I want one! 8)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:52 pm 
Heavyweight

ycg wrote:
I want one! 8)

nice! is that yours? 8)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:53 pm 
Heavyweight

Hard work pays off, says McMenemy
09-Dec-2010
Nam Dinh: Philippines coach Simon McMenemy beamed with pride as his team sealed a place in the semifinals of the AFF Suzuki Cup for the first time in the country's history.

A 0-0 draw with Myanmar was enough not only to ensure the Philippines progress, but for the previously unheralded side to emerge from the group stage of the tournament with an unbeaten record.

A draw with Singapore in their opening game gave them a solid start before the shock win over Group B hosts Vietnam pushed the Filipinos to the top of the standings after the first two rounds of matches.

And while the draw with Myanmar was not enough for the Philippines to hold on to first place in the group following Vietnam's win over Singapore, the English coach was delighted with his side's against-the-odds showing.

"It's amazing, just amazing because of all of the hard work we have put in," he said.

"The (Filipino fans) expected us to win but I'm just so pleased that the boys are going back to Manila as semi-finalists."

The draw represented Myanmar's first point of the tournament after defeats against both Singapore and Vietnam but McMenemy was quick to stress how difficult a task his team faced.

"Motivation (for this game) was never a problem but if you come to an empty stadium and play against a team everyone tells you that you can beat, then motivation is tough," he said

"They're much better than what their results tell you. They are very organised going forward. They kind of pinned us back. If Myanmar had the same fortune as us, they could have gott a result. They're difficult to defend.

"They did well in first half, they made it difficult for us. We defended with everything we have."

McMenemy refused to single out any player in particular as his side kept their unlikely challenge for the title alive.

"No player stood out, we put up a team performance from goalkeeper to forward," he said. "Their spirit was just excellent."

Myanmar coach Tin Myint Aung was at least able to garner some positives from his team's performance at the end of a tournament that yielded little for his unfortunate side.

"We already knew about their technique and we tried our best," he said. "We tried to win for our country. We played very well and we had some very good chances."
http://www.affsuzukicup.com/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:53 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Quote me if you want the government to build a new state of the art football stadium! :beer:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:54 pm 
Cruiserweight

I don't know if its their official logo. It's their primary photo on their FB fan page.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/PHL-Az ... 1518830408

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7458 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 498  Next