Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:33 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7725 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 507, 508, 509, 510, 511, 512, 513 ... 515  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:36 am 
Cruiserweight

dwight wrote:
AFTER Donaire and Pacquiao, it’s football as our men’s team are the latest sports heroes. Want to know how our squad got its nickname, AZKALS?

Max Limpag, the ultramarathon man who ran 50K the other Saturday, was a former soccer fanatic. Here’s his story…

“In July 2005, I got into a discussion with former FC Korsaaven (that’s the name of our college team in UP Diliman) football teammate Noel Villaflor and former Sun.Star Cebu sports reporter Glenn Michelina on the moniker for the Philippine football team.

“In an online forum on football, someone suggested calling them askals. We laughed at first but then thought it could be a good moniker. I said we were askals because we lack football pedigree. I think it was Noel who said it’s also a good play on Calle Azul because the Philippine team color is blue. We were also askals in a way because the team was abandoned by government and lacked needed support.

“Glenn Michelina then did a quick drawing of a logo of a fierce-looking dog with the country’s colors. Noel submitted it to the forum and I blogged about it in my site.

I didn’t know the moniker would stick after all these years. But one that didn’t stick was “irbogs” for irong buang, which we proposed to call people like ourselves, rabid die-hard fans.”

The brother of Max—our sports editor, Mike Limpag—wrote an expanded version of the ASKALS story five years ago, “Fans want RP booters to be named ‘Askals.’” Here are excerpts of Mike’s article…

“The Netherlands has the Orangemen, France is Les Bleus, and Italy has the Azures.
Philippine football fans want to call their national team Askals.

“The menacing street dog has just been elevated to national icon status after a few fans threw around an idea on what to call the national team in an Internet forum dedicated to Philippine football.

“Names like Tamaraws and Eagles came up first before the fans agreed on Askal, short for asong kalye or street dog…

“One fan has come up with an Askal logo, and plans to have it reproduced on shirts and flags are being discussed by regular posters Graeme Mackinnon and others.

“Even coach Aris Caslib is on with the idea: “I want to know if the design for the Askal is final because we might help in producing the shirts,” he told Sun.Star Cebu in an earlier interview.

“As to whether the national team will be as menacing as the street dog is left to be seen as they are still to test their readiness in a pre-Seag tournament in Vietnam before leaving for a month-long training in China.”

Thanks, Max and Mike.

More on the football hysteria, I sought the commentary of Graeme Mackinnon. Australian-born but—after 14 years here—Cebuano by heart, Graeme had this reaction:

“One win and the Philippines has woken up to football. Such is the impact of that historic win by the Azkals 2-0 over highly-fancied Vietnam. We are still in the group stage and hopefully overnight the Azkals have booked their place in the semi-finals of the AFF Suzuki Cup. There has been a tsunami-like groundswell of support for the Azkals. The country is experiencing international football fever the likes of which we haven’t seen before. There are new Azkal logos, musical anthems on YouTube and Azkal tributes on Facebook. Facebook is in meltdown. There are just so many people talking about the team.

“Azkal coach Simon McMenemy was criticized by Vietnam’s coach Henrique Calisto for his tactics. McMenemy’s tactics were correct. He knows the strengths and weaknesses of his team and set his tactics accordingly. His foundation for the win was the defense.

If they don’t score then the Azkals don’t lose. As the highly-favored Vietnamese became more frustrated, the Azkal counterattacks took advantage of the holes in the Vietnamese defense. Calisto had no answer to the AZKAL tactics and so his criticism smacks of sour grapes. So fire the bark up and be loud and proud of the Philippine AZKALS football team!”

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/sports/p ... noel-azkal

I am quite confused of the composition of the Philippines' AZKALS TEAM.
How come, except for Alexander Borromeo,
all their names and faces appeared to be NON-FILIPINOS? :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:45 am 
Heavyweight

Location: Bacoor, Cavite or M.M. PACMAN Believer #160 (PB-0160)
GOALS! Bahadoran, Ramsay lead Azkals past Yemen

https://youtu.be/DnZy-JDgkrs

The Lord has shown you what is good.
He has told you what he requires of you.
You must act with justice.
You must love to show mercy.
And you must be humble as you live in the sight of your God.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:36 am 
Heavyweight

Kaya yan! :)

Tanong lang baklitang radeona, nasa WORLD CUP na ba yung mga fafa mo?

Ay eto pa, nasa ASIAN CUP na ba yung mga fafa mo?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:53 am 
Middleweight

thinker_twister wrote:
dwight wrote:
AFTER Donaire and Pacquiao, it’s football as our men’s team are the latest sports heroes. Want to know how our squad got its nickname, AZKALS?

Max Limpag, the ultramarathon man who ran 50K the other Saturday, was a former soccer fanatic. Here’s his story…

“In July 2005, I got into a discussion with former FC Korsaaven (that’s the name of our college team in UP Diliman) football teammate Noel Villaflor and former Sun.Star Cebu sports reporter Glenn Michelina on the moniker for the Philippine football team.

“In an online forum on football, someone suggested calling them askals. We laughed at first but then thought it could be a good moniker. I said we were askals because we lack football pedigree. I think it was Noel who said it’s also a good play on Calle Azul because the Philippine team color is blue. We were also askals in a way because the team was abandoned by government and lacked needed support.

“Glenn Michelina then did a quick drawing of a logo of a fierce-looking dog with the country’s colors. Noel submitted it to the forum and I blogged about it in my site.

I didn’t know the moniker would stick after all these years. But one that didn’t stick was “irbogs” for irong buang, which we proposed to call people like ourselves, rabid die-hard fans.”

The brother of Max—our sports editor, Mike Limpag—wrote an expanded version of the ASKALS story five years ago, “Fans want RP booters to be named ‘Askals.’” Here are excerpts of Mike’s article…

“The Netherlands has the Orangemen, France is Les Bleus, and Italy has the Azures.
Philippine football fans want to call their national team Askals.

“The menacing street dog has just been elevated to national icon status after a few fans threw around an idea on what to call the national team in an Internet forum dedicated to Philippine football.

“Names like Tamaraws and Eagles came up first before the fans agreed on Askal, short for asong kalye or street dog…

“One fan has come up with an Askal logo, and plans to have it reproduced on shirts and flags are being discussed by regular posters Graeme Mackinnon and others.

“Even coach Aris Caslib is on with the idea: “I want to know if the design for the Askal is final because we might help in producing the shirts,” he told Sun.Star Cebu in an earlier interview.

“As to whether the national team will be as menacing as the street dog is left to be seen as they are still to test their readiness in a pre-Seag tournament in Vietnam before leaving for a month-long training in China.”

Thanks, Max and Mike.

More on the football hysteria, I sought the commentary of Graeme Mackinnon. Australian-born but—after 14 years here—Cebuano by heart, Graeme had this reaction:

“One win and the Philippines has woken up to football. Such is the impact of that historic win by the Azkals 2-0 over highly-fancied Vietnam. We are still in the group stage and hopefully overnight the Azkals have booked their place in the semi-finals of the AFF Suzuki Cup. There has been a tsunami-like groundswell of support for the Azkals. The country is experiencing international football fever the likes of which we haven’t seen before. There are new Azkal logos, musical anthems on YouTube and Azkal tributes on Facebook. Facebook is in meltdown. There are just so many people talking about the team.

“Azkal coach Simon McMenemy was criticized by Vietnam’s coach Henrique Calisto for his tactics. McMenemy’s tactics were correct. He knows the strengths and weaknesses of his team and set his tactics accordingly. His foundation for the win was the defense.

If they don’t score then the Azkals don’t lose. As the highly-favored Vietnamese became more frustrated, the Azkal counterattacks took advantage of the holes in the Vietnamese defense. Calisto had no answer to the AZKAL tactics and so his criticism smacks of sour grapes. So fire the bark up and be loud and proud of the Philippine AZKALS football team!”

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/sports/p ... noel-azkal

all their names and faces appeared to be NON-FILIPINOS? :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock:

Bro, even Borromeo is not totally local to Philippines, it is also Spanish, meaning the Filipinos is the UN of races, gets mo?

By the way, di ba Ramsay din si Elizabeth? mukha ba syang foreigner? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by mangingisda on Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am 
Middleweight

Quote:
thinking_twisted wrote:

Now tell me...are the names Aboitiz, Ayala, Gokongwei, Webb, Jaworski, Lhuillier, Barbers...appeared to be NON-FILIPINOS to you? Look at their faces as well...can you tell me they are NON-FILIPINOS?

There are 100+ million Filipinos and 10+ million of them are scattered around the globe...

It just happen that many of the AZKALS players are kids of these 10+ million Filipinos...and they have all the rights to represent the Philippines in Football competitions simply because they are Filipinos!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:35 am 
Bantamweight

that killer cross that usually happens in european leagues. ganda panoorin ng laro nila. sana mag tuloy tuloy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:40 pm 
Middleweight

BYE wrote:
that killer cross that usually happens in european leagues. ganda panoorin ng laro nila. sana mag tuloy tuloy

Ball control...Wow!!! It's on a different level now!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:08 pm 
Heavyweight

McClane wrote:
BYE wrote:

Ball control...Wow!!! It's on a different level now!

64% ball position on the 1st half
45% ball position on the 2nd half (right after the first goal) :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:17 pm 
Light Heavyweight

ilan games dpat mapanalo para mag qualify?
mukha matitindi mga kalaban for Asia ba ito?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:04 pm 
Heavyweight

boysalat wrote:

each team will play total of 8 games. and only the top 2 (correct me if I'm wrong) on each bracket will be qualified to the next stage.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:31 pm 
Featherweight

Just to show that Coach Dooley is doing a very good work in coaching and preparing the team. Ganda ng defense at ball passing nila, the more they practice together the more Azkals will become fluid in their game. Hopefully they win the remaining home games and make sure to win at least two of the away games and draw the rest to make sure Azkals goes to the 3rd round. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:43 am 
Heavyweight

Location: Bacoor, Cavite or M.M. PACMAN Believer #160 (PB-0160)

The Lord has shown you what is good.
He has told you what he requires of you.
You must act with justice.
You must love to show mercy.
And you must be humble as you live in the sight of your God.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:55 am 
Middleweight

pubringjuandelacruz wrote:
boysalat wrote:

each team will play total of 8 games. and only the top 2 (correct me if I'm wrong) on each bracket will be qualified to the next stage.

There are 8 groups in the 2nd round of qualification.
Each group has 5 countries playing in a home and away games (total of 8 games for each country).
The top country of each group (total of eight) will proceed to the 3rd round of qualification.
The 8 second placers will be ranked, and the top 4 second placers will proceed as well to the 3rd round.
This means 8 first placers and 4 best second placers of each group ( total of 12) will proceed to the 3rd round.
The 12 countries in the third round will be divided into 2 groups (6 countries per group).
Each group will be playing in a home and away games (total of 10 games for each country).

The top 2 countries of each group will qualify to the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia (4 slots are provided for Asia in the World Cup).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:02 pm 
Cruiserweight

McClane wrote:
Quote:
thinking_twisted wrote:

Now tell me...are the names Aboitiz, Ayala, Gokongwei, Webb, Jaworski, Lhuillier, Barbers...appeared to be NON-FILIPINOS to you? Look at their faces as well...can you tell me they are NON-FILIPINOS?

There are 100+ million Filipinos and 10+ million of them are scattered around the globe...

It just happen that many of the AZKALS players are kids of these 10+ million Filipinos...and they have all the rights to represent the Philippines in Football competitions simply because they are Filipinos!

Hndi ba nandaraya lang tayo nito... meron ngang PBA imported player, kahit hindi pinoy, pilit na ginawang PINOY...alam mo ba ito? :mrgreen: :roll: :roll: :roll: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:57 pm 
Middleweight

thinker_twister wrote:
McClane wrote:
Quote:
thinking_twisted wrote:

Hndi ba nandaraya lang tayo nito... meron ngang PBA imported player, kahit hindi pinoy, pilit na ginawang PINOY...alam mo ba ito? :mrgreen: :roll: :roll: :roll: :mrgreen:

If you are pertaining to Marcus Douthit and Andray Blatche, they became Philippine passport holder via naturalization process which is legal and normal practice among national basketball teams in Asian countries and even American and European countries as well.

Now back to to the Philippine Azkals...all the Filipino - Foreign players that we have have either their Filipino father or mother that made them eligible to secure a Philippine passport. There is no naturalized player in Azkals lineup, unlike other countries like Bahrain that has a Nigerian citizen player that they naturalized and became Bahrain passport holder. Same case with Singapore national football team.

In the case of Misagh Bahadoran, who's popularity is now soaring high due to his 2 goals in the first two games of the Azkals in the qualifiers, he was born in Pampanga, Philippines to a Filipina mother and an Iranian father.

I wonder if Austrian people are questioning the eligibility of David Alaba (one of Bayern Munich's star players) for playing for the Austrian national football team. He has a Nigerian father and a Filipina mother (no Austrian bloodline, huh), but he was born in Vienna thus making him eligible to play for Austria.... 8) 8) 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7725 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 507, 508, 509, 510, 511, 512, 513 ... 515  Next