Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:33 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:09 pm 
Offline
Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:27 pm
Posts: 7859
Location: wala dito, andun!!!!!
freewheeze wrote:
Hakuna Matata wrote:
Image



PH Football vs PH Basketball

This was originally posted as a blog entry in Brainless Entertainment in December 2010.


The Philippines, culturally-rich as it is, is so one-dimensional when it comes to sports— it seems like there are too many Filipinos who take "a basketball-crazy nation" too seriously. Sure, in the Philippines, time stops when Manny Pacquiao fights; but I wouldn't say Filipinos have too deep a regard for the sport of boxing because when our other boxers (like Donaire and Nietes) fight, it's just another day. And while NBA, PBA, UAAP, and NCAA championships do not carry the same effect as a Pacquiao bout, personal schedules and Metro Manila traffic do get disrupted to a noticeable degree when these games are played. I don't really have a problem with this as people are entitled to be crazy about whatever makes them crazy.

This month, however, another sport has managed to disrupt things— football. For a football fan such as myself, the attention and fanfare given the Azkals because of their strong performance in the 2010 AFF Suzuki Cup was truly a welcome break from the regular stuff. And I guess it can't be helped that other fans, enjoying Philippine football's rare moment under the spotlight, have found fuel for the age-old argument, "Filipinos are better suited for football than basketball". While I do side with the ayes in this, I disagree with any one who proposes, "let's stop supporting basketball altogether because it's hopeless".


Pointless Debates are Pointless

It's a pointless proposition. Football in this country has survived despite lack of support and with only the football fans' collective love for the sport to keep it going— props to Mr. Dan Palami, by the way. If support is pulled from basketball, it too will survive because of the basketball fans' collective love for it. Again, it's pointless. The survival and furtherance of football in the Philippines does not depend on basketball's— or any other sport's— demise. So, I guess instead of using the events that have transpired in this glorious month to make an in-your-face argument against basketball, which only serves to stone-wall people who can add to our collective love for football, we should prop-up our sport as another potential source of national pride like basketball, boxing, billiards, and bowling; because goddammit, it's always great to see our flag being raised in victory regardless of the sport or discipline! Amirite?!

Of course, where there are idiots on one side, there are also idiots on the other side. In the last couple of days, I've done the usual tour of the blogs and forums to see what people think about the Azkals' performance. The thing that struck me most was how a few pro-basketball posters try to downplay the significance of the Azkals' Suzuki Cup campaign; saying that if it were a basketball contest, we would have been champions hands-down and even if it were a continent-wide tournament we would still be contenders. That the Azkals appearance in the semi-finals is an empty feat and that even if we actually won, the Suzuki Cup is a very small tournament where we have not met any truly world-class teams.


"We Rule ASEAN Bastekball, RAWR!!!"

That line of thinking really irks me because it's utterly stupid. Many a Filipino basketball fan is comfortable in saying that the Philippines is a contender in Asian competitions and we are powerhouses in South East Asia. This is indeed, true. But when you look at the quality of the playing field, you'll end up with a different perspective:

We have a premiere basketball league in the Philippines that serves as a big pool of players for our national team. Apart from that league, we have a professional (as in salaried players) developmental team, the Pilipinas Gilas. Moreover, we have high-quality amateur leagues for students who train from a very young age hoping to use these leagues as stepping stones to a professional career. In contrast, our Asean competitors do not have this kind of setup. Sure, Malaysia and Indonesia have their own professional leagues but I doubt if these enjoy the same support from lower, amateur leagues as our PBA enjoys the support of the UAAP, NCAA, etc.

So to expect decent opposition in basketball from our Asean neighbours is plain silly— we will always take the Asean crown until our opponents beef-up their local leagues. It's like expecting our football team to win against Vietnam or drawing Singapore, with both countries having stable development programmes and premiere professional football leagues and tournaments. I wonder what makes an unchallenged march toward a regional title so significant that makes a well-earned semi-finals appearance in a tightly-contested regional tournament insignificant.


"We Are Contenders In Asia!!! Um, ...right?"

Then there's the continental, Asian side of things. It's true that there had been a time when the Philippines did very well in basketball— we bagged the gold in the 1986 Asian Championships and in the 1962 Asian Games, and our most recent success is in the 1998 Asian Games where we got the bronze; our best finish ever is third place in the 1954 World Championships. But here's a bit of trivia:

Of the 44 FIBA Asia member countries, only 30 have actually participated in the Asian Championships, and only a bit more than half (16 or 17, check Wikipedia to be sure) of these 30 have participated in at least half of all the tournament's 25 editions to date. Of these 16 or 17 regular participants, 5 (including the Philippines) are from South East Asia— which brings us back to the silly regional powerhouse idea.

Of the remaining 11 or 12 regular competitors, 3 (China, Japan, South Korea) have won more medals than we have and have near-consistently appeared in the medal rounds since 1975. In more recent times, where any of these 3 did not make it to a medal round, a not-so-regular and even recent participant played in their place: Jordan (11 appearances since 1983), Lebanon (6 appearances since 1999), Qatar (first appearance in 1991, regular appearance only since 2001, 6 appearances in total), Saudi Arabia (7 appearances, appeared in 1989-1999 and in 2005), and North Korea (2 appearances only, 1991 and 1993).

You'd think that if the Philippines really were contenders in Asian basketball, we'd be playing in the medal round in place of an unlucky powerhouse. Sadly, that is not the case.

We have not placed higher than 7th in this tournament for 20 years; our lowest place was 15th (out of 16 participants) in 2003; the last place we took, in 2009, was 8th (out of 16). And this, despite having had a fully-professional basketball league since 1975 backed by a near-century old collegiate sports programme. Our story in the Asian Games is not all too different. We have a glorious past but we have not been doing well in basketball for a couple of decades.


Let's Mind Our Own Business

Basketball lovers ought to recognise and do something about this instead of deluding themselves that we are still top dogs in Asia. Football lovers, on the other hand, should just leave basketball alone— we have our own problems. What we should really be concerned about is sustaining this good run of our Azkals because as the ride was good while it lasted, we obviously want a longer ride next time.

__________________________________________________________________________


ARIELLE B. CRUZ

Arielle kept for Sunken Garden United in the club's early days before starting the Sons of Lourdes Football Club with his schoolmates in 2003.
Currently, all the saves he has been making is through CTRL+S but he keeps stock of goalkeepers' gloves in case he gets booted out of the Internet and into the penalty box.



Source: http://pinoyfootball.com/Columns/2011Feb19Sat042220







I don't know why these futbol fanboys are insecure :?


eh ano ka ngayon?


suzuki cup daw
:biglaugh:



btw guys, just sharing. meet the author :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ABCruz2310/discussion
http://www.abcruz.com/
https://twitter.com/abcruz2310

_________________
Ang tanong na hindi masagot ni baklitang RADEONA:

Tanong lang baklitang radeona, nasa WORLD CUP na ba yung mga fafa mo?

Ay eto pa, nasa ASIAN CUP na ba yung mga fafa mo?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:52 pm 
Offline
Light Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:07 pm
Posts: 1479
Location: lagas pitong buhok ^^
Below are reasons why football can never compete with basketball in the Philippines,EVER.

1. Basketball is too mainstream (NBA,PBA,UAAP,NCAA anyone?)
2. Unless you build football fields in every corner ,every street then football may stand a chance.
3. Basketball has too much history in our country that we may actually consider it as a part of our culture. (polarizing figure such as jawo,great rivalries such as crispa-toyota,never say die attitude of ginebra etc. )
4. Most Filipinos were never attracted to football because of impatience. They want some thing to happen every minute of the game.
It may be not be a goal per se but come on, the skill level of football in the Philippines leaves a lot to be desired.
5. PASSION, nuf said.

It's really like comparing apples and oranges,no comparison, nada.

_________________
Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen – MJ

Money will come and go. We all know that. The most important thing in life will always be the people in this room. Right here, right now. Salute, mi familia - Dom


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:20 pm 
Offline
Featherweight

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:31 pm
Posts: 77
Location: Global City of Taguig
golden lily wrote:
Below are reasons why football can never compete with basketball in the Philippines,EVER.

1. Basketball is too mainstream (NBA,PBA,UAAP,NCAA anyone?)
2. Unless you build football fields in every corner ,every street then football may stand a chance.
3. Basketball has too much history in our country that we may actually consider it as a part of our culture. (polarizing figure such as jawo,great rivalries such as crispa-toyota,never say die attitude of ginebra etc. )
4. Most Filipinos were never attracted to football because of impatience. They want some thing to happen every minute of the game.
It may be not be a goal per se but come on, the skill level of football in the Philippines leaves a lot to be desired.
5. PASSION, nuf said.

It's really like comparing apples and oranges,no comparison, nada.


are you really 100% sure of this, bro? try going to Iloilo, particularly in Barotac Nuevo and you might see also the reality...anyway, IMO, I'll give you around 95% of reality on your part :peace:

_________________
Bonifacio Global City.....
not BINAYfacio Global City !!

I Luv Taguig?
yes, because of it's taxpayer's MONEY !!
"We are the CayeTALO Family"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:25 pm 
Offline
Featherweight

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:31 pm
Posts: 77
Location: Global City of Taguig
miron_lang wrote:
We should support football. but football supporters should stop being insecure :(


Philippine Basketball has accomplished A LOT! its not even comparable.


LET US SUPPORT both sports.


sana nga ganun, sir miron....pero hindi, eh....

TRANS: Basketball and Football can co-exist in the Phils. except in the Bandwagoning Capital of Manila.... :bounce1: :bounce1: :bounce1: totoo naman, di ba?

_________________
Bonifacio Global City.....
not BINAYfacio Global City !!

I Luv Taguig?
yes, because of it's taxpayer's MONEY !!
"We are the CayeTALO Family"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:37 pm 
Offline
Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:15 pm
Posts: 4157
Location: sunagakure
Pwede bang maging united na lang tayo sa pag suporta sa ating mga National Teams sa kahit anong sports? ok lang kung local competition, yun mag kampihan tayo! pero kapag bayan na pinag-uusapan, puta maging isa naman tayo... kaya tayo madaling masakop noon at ngayon dahil watak watak tayo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:42 pm 
Offline
Featherweight

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:31 pm
Posts: 77
Location: Global City of Taguig
tagataguigcity wrote:
golden lily wrote:
Below are reasons why football can never compete with basketball in the Philippines,EVER.

1. Basketball is too mainstream (NBA,PBA,UAAP,NCAA anyone?)
2. Unless you build football fields in every corner ,every street then football may stand a chance.
3. Basketball has too much history in our country that we may actually consider it as a part of our culture. (polarizing figure such as jawo,great rivalries such as crispa-toyota,never say die attitude of ginebra etc. )
4. Most Filipinos were never attracted to football because of impatience. They want some thing to happen every minute of the game.
It may be not be a goal per se but come on, the skill level of football in the Philippines leaves a lot to be desired.
5. PASSION, nuf said.

It's really like comparing apples and oranges,no comparison, nada.


are you really 100% sure of this, bro? try going to Iloilo, particularly in Barotac Nuevo and you might see also the reality...anyway, IMO, I'll give you around 95% of reality on your part :peace:


and let me also add....in Vis Min, most of the people there, if not all, are very passionate on any kinds of sports...just ask our Visayan brothers and sisters, some parts of Luzon, yes, they're also passionate on any sports but in Imperial Manila? i don't think so.... :wink: :wink:

FYI, I'm not working for SWS and FALSE Asia.... :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

_________________
Bonifacio Global City.....
not BINAYfacio Global City !!

I Luv Taguig?
yes, because of it's taxpayer's MONEY !!
"We are the CayeTALO Family"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:49 pm 
Offline
Featherweight

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:31 pm
Posts: 77
Location: Global City of Taguig
boknoy the fighting ball wrote:
Pwede bang maging united na lang tayo sa pag suporta sa ating mga National Teams sa kahit anong sports? ok lang kung local competition, yun mag kampihan tayo! pero kapag bayan na pinag-uusapan, puta maging isa naman tayo... kaya tayo madaling masakop noon at ngayon dahil watak watak tayo


sana nga ganun, sir Boknoy, pero wala na tayong magagawa kung marami lang talagang makikitid ang pag-iisip....

Trans: Road WIDENING projects for narrow-minded people.... :bounce1: :chainsaw:

_________________
Bonifacio Global City.....
not BINAYfacio Global City !!

I Luv Taguig?
yes, because of it's taxpayer's MONEY !!
"We are the CayeTALO Family"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:39 am 
Offline
Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:27 pm
Posts: 7859
Location: wala dito, andun!!!!!
boknoy the fighting ball wrote:
Pwede bang maging united na lang tayo sa pag suporta sa ating mga National Teams sa kahit anong sports? ok lang kung local competition, yun mag kampihan tayo! pero kapag bayan na pinag-uusapan, puta maging isa naman tayo... kaya tayo madaling masakop noon at ngayon dahil watak watak tayo



tell that to radeon :biglaugh:

_________________
Ang tanong na hindi masagot ni baklitang RADEONA:

Tanong lang baklitang radeona, nasa WORLD CUP na ba yung mga fafa mo?

Ay eto pa, nasa ASIAN CUP na ba yung mga fafa mo?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:42 am 
Offline
Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:59 am
Posts: 29214
jolz wrote:
boknoy the fighting ball wrote:
Pwede bang maging united na lang tayo sa pag suporta sa ating mga National Teams sa kahit anong sports? ok lang kung local competition, yun mag kampihan tayo! pero kapag bayan na pinag-uusapan, puta maging isa naman tayo... kaya tayo madaling masakop noon at ngayon dahil watak watak tayo



tell that to radeon :biglaugh:

true :D

_________________
================================================================================================


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:43 am 
Offline
Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:59 am
Posts: 29214
tagataguigcity wrote:
tagataguigcity wrote:
golden lily wrote:
Below are reasons why football can never compete with basketball in the Philippines,EVER.

1. Basketball is too mainstream (NBA,PBA,UAAP,NCAA anyone?)
2. Unless you build football fields in every corner ,every street then football may stand a chance.
3. Basketball has too much history in our country that we may actually consider it as a part of our culture. (polarizing figure such as jawo,great rivalries such as crispa-toyota,never say die attitude of ginebra etc. )
4. Most Filipinos were never attracted to football because of impatience. They want some thing to happen every minute of the game.
It may be not be a goal per se but come on, the skill level of football in the Philippines leaves a lot to be desired.
5. PASSION, nuf said.

It's really like comparing apples and oranges,no comparison, nada.


are you really 100% sure of this, bro? try going to Iloilo, particularly in Barotac Nuevo and you might see also the reality...anyway, IMO, I'll give you around 95% of reality on your part :peace:


and let me also add....in Vis Min, most of the people there, if not all, are very passionate on any kinds of sports...just ask our Visayan brothers and sisters, some parts of Luzon, yes, they're also passionate on any sports but in Imperial Manila? i don't think so.... :wink: :wink:

FYI, I'm not working for SWS and FALSE Asia.... :biglaugh: :biglaugh:




i maybe wrong but you seem to have issues with MANILA>

_________________
================================================================================================


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:44 am 
Offline
Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:59 am
Posts: 29214
tagataguigcity wrote:
boknoy the fighting ball wrote:
Pwede bang maging united na lang tayo sa pag suporta sa ating mga National Teams sa kahit anong sports? ok lang kung local competition, yun mag kampihan tayo! pero kapag bayan na pinag-uusapan, puta maging isa naman tayo... kaya tayo madaling masakop noon at ngayon dahil watak watak tayo


sana nga ganun, sir Boknoy, pero wala na tayong magagawa kung marami lang talagang makikitid ang pag-iisip....

Trans: Road WIDENING projects for narrow-minded people.... :bounce1: :chainsaw:



we basketball fans support football. we might like bball first but as long as it dons our colors, we support it.

not sure about the other side. :D

_________________
================================================================================================


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC + 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

philboxing.com | pinoygreats.com
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group