Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:29 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 423 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:27 pm 
Cruiserweight

Azkals: The death of basketball?
By Ira Pedrasa, abs-cbnNEWS.com
Posted at 07/06/2011 6:28 PM | Updated as of 07/07/2011 4:02 PM

MANILA, Philippines - Football is back - and with a bang - thanks to the Philippine Azkals, who may force basketball into oblivion.

In his column in the Philippine Daily Inquirer on Wednesday, Amando Doronila said “the revival of football means so much for sports-minded Filipinos. It means we are breaking away from the dominance of basketball—a syndrome that has stunted us from developing athletic prowess in other sports…”

Anthropologist Michael Tan agreed, saying “I like this new focus on football. For decades we have been too fixated on basketball but in terms of international competitiveness, we just don’t have it.”

He went on to say that football very much fits a Filipino’s temperament, like that of the Latin Americans.

He said this temperament is “passionate and ebullient, but also modulated by introspection and constant strategizing.” More importantly, there is more of team play, he averred.

In contrast, in basketball, the player should have a lot of “diskarte” and make do with a small court. Sometimes, “basketball players convert the court into a stage…often ending up so engrossed with individual performance that they lose sight of team play.”

Basketball not for Filipinos?

Doronila even thought of the 4-to-0 win of the Azkals against the Sri Lanka Red Braves on Sunday as a “massacre,” noting “the locals bombarded the Sri Lankan goal with an impunity and élan seen often in the big league World Cup teams.”

The Azkals' win on Sunday brings the country to the second of six qualifying rounds of the World Cup. The team will face the more-experienced Kuwait on July 23 and 28.

Tan said even professional football player Neko Lambey is “gung-ho” about the team reaching Rio de Janeiro in Brazil, where the 2014 World Cup will be held.

Doronila said the country is finally starting to demonstrate that Filipinos can play, and even win, on the playing field where they are not physically handicapped.

“In basketball, we are born losers and we are likely to be doomed to remain a basket case and waste our energies. It is a sport whose only function is to encourage puerile intercollegiate athletic competition, where pride rests on performance in basketball games,” he said.

Achieving the “goal”

To be able to achieve such goals, however, Tan said there is a need for support both from the government and the private sector.

Sports analyst Boyet Sison agreed, saying that upgraded facilities, funding for players and good coaches could finally push the sport back into the Filipino’s senses. Sison is also the host of ANC’s Hardball.

He disagreed, however, that football can overshadow basketball in a country that relies heavily on “visuals.”

“I think, for now, that football is experiencing a resurgence...It helped that the Azkals are fueling the imagination of the public now because they’re making history,” he said.

There may be a downtrend in the ticket sales for certain basketball leagues, but the Filipinos’ love for basketball will always be there, he said.

“Basketball and football can coexist. In terms of training, a football player can do as well in basketball because of [his or her] stamina,” he said.

On one hand, basketball and football should not even be compared, he said. “For one, you’re also talking about pitch conditions…In basketball, they’re always up to standards.”

For football to co-exist with basketball, the private sector should already come in, he said.

Sison said the sport is ready for “commercialization,” which would provide better television and print mileage as well as “create a profession, livelihood for players.”

Already, television is bombarded with advertisements of the Azkals: brothers Phil and James Younghusband are promoting a clothing line as well as a fast-food chain, team captain Aly Borromeo for an underwear line, and striker Chieffy Caligdong for a food supplement.

The advertisements are also wide-ranging, with the Azkals even promoting a brand of condiments.

Source: http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/07/06 ... basketball

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:08 pm 
Heavyweight

azkals, the birth of football is more like it.

basketball in the Philippines is not gonna go away, not in a million years. 8)

It takes forever to know everything.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:39 pm 
Light Heavyweight

doubleblade29 wrote:

Agree..

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:53 am 
Heavyweight

death of basketball? why, are football and basketball mutually exclusive?

i know several people who play BOTH.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:22 am 
Heavyweight

instead of focusing on the rise of a sport, why do they need to take a shot at another sport...

another thing,i have heard guys talk about our national teams in both sports and they curse and make fun of basketball. lol its our national team,its called Philippine team, even though its failing on its mission its still our team..
i dont know why filipinos only like a team when its winning..or like something when its doing good...
:?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:28 am 
Welterweight

if our football team keep on winning...

probably...

or the basketball will be like the football years ago.. few appreciates. few enthusiasts...

will become like that if they keep continue winning...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:48 am 
Light Heavyweight

radeon kaw ba yan?

just kidding, basketball won't go away atleast for the next two generations..children today are still on basketball, but the emergence of football might change the landscape of philippine sports..but basketball will always be the frontrunner..the importance is, its only some stupid fans who are slaying each other for the sake of the sports..i for one will always watch basketball and football..and to choose which one to watch in case both are telecast at the same time, i'll go for basketball..or switch the remote back and forth..

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:53 am 
Heavyweight

I'm just delighted that there's variety of sports in Phlippines. Bball, boxing and soccer to watch. I watch the boxing and soccer a lot.It's just wonderful.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:58 am 
Light Heavyweight

mid 90's nung last time akong nanood ng PBA (w/ excitement) ngayon wla na eh.. puro AMPAW na naglalaro.. :) peace..

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:10 am 
Heavyweight

Agree......Waiting for basketball to turnaround is like waiting for a corrupt administration to stop stealing money.
We suck in basketball. There's a reason why there's always one black guy in every PBA team who averages 30 points
and 20 rebounds. Because we are inferior when it comes to this sport. Keep the College basketball program but abolish
the PBA.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:42 am 
Middleweight

GO Askalz, stop those pa pogi and pa showbiz, just focus on your goal, to the world cup. and dont forget your side quest, kill Philippine basketball :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:45 am 
Cruiserweight

doubleblade29 wrote:

agree.. Philippines will not stop playing but will not succeed getting top spot in Asia, maybe in million years. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:51 am 
Cruiserweight

Maybe some of the PBA players can crossplay on football....Players like Caguioa, Tubid, Taulava and Helterbrand can accomplish what Phil Younghusband or Chieffy Caligdong has done for the Azkals recently...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:00 am 
Heavyweight

genetophile wrote:
death of basketball? why, are football and basketball mutually exclusive?

i know several people who play BOTH.

you're the right guy for the job, bro Gene...with eugenics, we could develop Super Pinoys, and they will make us competitive in basketball where "height is might."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:42 am 
Light Heavyweight

This footbol thing is another heartbreaker for the PH in the end. Just another fad that's taken too seriously. Just grls and gays screamin for those az"gals" pretty boys with green eyes. Pipol who said that Bball is a dying sport in the ph are whimps who can't play The game and disPise the sport.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 423 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29  Next