Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:43 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:33 am 
Middleweight

Good luck to this boy... anyway a good start for our country, this is what Im telling we should start from nurturing little boys in order to develop more their skills 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:15 am 
Heavyweight

Let's mark this kid...
Hope he will be the next big thing in Philippine Football.. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:46 am 
Heavyweight

A glimmer of hope
By Pio Garcia, July 23, 2012 12:01 AM

I was shocked by the news I’ve heard a few days ago. A nine-year-old kid was provided a scholarship to FC Barcelona’s Escola, the step young footballers in Catalona take before being deemed fit to enter the La Masia, the youth academy of the reknowned football club. Sandro Reyes has given Philippine football a glimmer of hope, nay, a bright ray of hope.

Let me say that again. Slower this time. FC Barcelona. Escola. FC. Barcelona. It’s the team that houses footballers known by just one name across the globe. You’ve got Xavi, Cesc, Iniesta, Puyol among others and of course, the brightest star in club football, Messi. To be a project in this club’s academy, with the chance to be called up to their senior squad… it’s an impossible dream. But not anymore.

The last time a Filipino suited up for the Azulgrana was way back in 1927. That was the year Paulino Alcantara, a Filipino-Spanish born in Iloilo City, retired after strutting his wares for Barca since he was 15. This guy scored 369 goals in 357 matches, making him the top scorer of the club, which counted official and friendlies. That may change in a few years time at the rate that Lionel Messi is going, but come on… 357 goals in 369 matches. That’s at least a goal a game for his lifetime. Most players can’t even do that unless you are named Messi. And not to mention, he still is the youngest player ever to score a hat trick and that was done in his debut match at that. “El Romperedes” or “The Net Breaker” as he was called is the star of Philippine football. Until Sandro Reyes started making waves.

Can the kid match “El Romperedes”? Probably not.

He is not a heartless striker.

From the videos that I saw of Reyes, he was more of an attacking midfielder. I cannot complain about that.

Attacking midfielders can do some striking you know, and they can be the heart of the team. This little guy is all about technicality rather than brute force which El Romperedes typified, after hitting a policeman who got in the way of his strike and found the ball and the officer at the back of the net.

To me, Reyes is in the mold of a Cesc Fabregas and Andres Iniesta.

Lionel Messi would be a reach for this kid. For now.

He wowed Barca scouts in trips to Singapore and Portland, Oregon.

He utterly dominated matches that spectators were left with jaws on the floor. And again, from the videos, the technical skill that this kid has shown since he was seven is one thing that’s boggling my mind. He. Is. That. Good. Already? The way he handles the ball, the first touch to control it is utterly impressive and can only be seen among the pros lining up on the pitch. And mind you, he has better touch control than most professionals for the lower tier teams on the brink of relegation.

To think that he would get better in what, five to six years’ time is bamboozling. He is good with both feet, can dribble around tight spaces and has vision that, for 9 year-old competitions is just unfair.

The chip shot at the end of his YouTube highlights? Chills man, chills. That was taken like Leo himself. The throughballs he shoots out? Yikes, Xavi’s soul is in the little man. The man-handling of the defense through dribbling? That’s a shade of “El Ilusionista” Iniesta. This kid is giving me goosebumps just by watching him destroy internationl competition.

Maybe he will give goosebumps to future competition when he’s called up by the Azulgrana or when wearing the colors of the Philippines. One can only imagine. There is that glimmer of hope for our football. Nay, correct that, there is that bright ray of hope for Philippine football.

I’ll be waiting for the time that you have Sandro on a Barcelona kit. Make a Barca fan prouder young man.
http://www.philstar.com/unblogged/blog- ... goryId=516

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:59 am 
Heavyweight

From YouTube:

Watch here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xicc-R-L ... el&list=UL

Sandro's random highlights from tournaments played when he was 7 and 8 years old. Messi is his idol and he is one step closer to his goal of playing in the first team of FCB. Thank you to the FC Barcelona scouts and coaches for giving Philippine football this inspiration. By opening your doors for Sandro, we pray many more talented Filipinos will follow their dreams. Mabuhay ang Pilipinas!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:14 pm 
Cruiserweight

I think people are getting a bit carried away, the kid is pretty average, not to take away anything from him, he has skills but has no speed and not very athletic, but those videos of him when he was only seven shows promise but nothing exceptional. It shows he's pretty good in the bracket he is in. Let's hope he can play as far as he can though, to reach his dreams.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:17 pm 
Cruiserweight

^^ the kid is just nine... anything can happen... the fact that his parents are very supportive, nothing seems to block his dreams...

as long as there is hope... i will ride the bandwagon...

how about Japeth? :lol: (malaki ang ego!)

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:21 pm 
Heavyweight

^^ Japhet is still mentioned even in this thread? :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:24 pm 
Cruiserweight

We wish the best of luck to the kid, son of Cong Edmund Reyes.

Pero, marami pang matatalino at magagaling dyan. Just bring the rigid screening to the Philippines and you'll find more :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:36 pm 
Cruiserweight

dwight wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:38 pm 
Cruiserweight

ich wrote:
dwight wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

is he the ex-future NBA prospect? :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:54 pm 
Middleweight

Go Go Go Sandro!!!

Go Go Go Philippines!!!!

Go Go Go Azkals!!!!

:celebrate: :celebrate: :celebrate: :celebrate: :celebrate: :celebrate: :celebrate: :celebrate: :celebrate: :celebrate: :celebrate: :celebrate: :celebrate:

--joshua_20--

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:25 pm 
Heavyweight

His Website:

http://sandroreyes.com/

Sandro Reyes, a 9-year-old Filipino footballer was given a full scholarship by Spain’s FC Barcelona Escola, which has produced the likes of football stars Lionel Messi and Xavi Hernandes. Sandro is one of 2 boys chosen by FC Barcelona Escola out of 400 children who tried out for the scholarship.

He received an invite to try out for the Spanish football academy after he impressed the Barcelona coaching staff during a football clinic in Singapore. After going through a final try-out last month, Sandro was selected as a recipient of a three-year football scholarship.

Sandro started playing football at age 5 and has already joined five football clubs in the Philippines,a consistent top scorer in local tournaments. At his tender age, Sandro Reyes dreams of playing for FC Barcelona someday just like Filipino-Spanish Paulino Alcantara.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:33 pm 
Heavyweight

Tatay wrote:
I think people are getting a bit carried away, the kid is pretty average, not to take away anything from him, he has skills but has no speed and not very athletic, but those videos of him when he was only seven shows promise but nothing exceptional. It shows he's pretty good in the bracket he is in. Let's hope he can play as far as he can though, to reach his dreams.

imakaiw wrote:
We wish the best of luck to the kid, son of Cong Edmund Reyes.

Pero, marami pang matatalino at magagaling dyan. Just bring the rigid screening to the Philippines and you'll find more :)

I agree with u guys, a lot of kids that are as good as this one and some are better than him who just don't have any resources, specially in the Visayas. I've seen lot's of them also in my son's little league soccer ...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:04 pm 
Heavyweight

Sana pumunta ang Barca sa Barotac...
They will see a lot of children like this kid... :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:57 pm 
Heavyweight

dwight wrote:
Sana pumunta ang Barca sa Barotac...
They will see a lot of children like this kid... :D

i agree 100 percent...

Genuine passion of the game...the Brazil of the Philippines

Barotac Nuevo, Iloilo the football capital of the Philippines bro dwight :D

the genuine love for football is alive and kicking.

All kids, rich or poor, play football on streets, rice fields, town plaza and anywhere with a flat surface.

Im sure scholarship will be given to kids down there

a lode mine of football skills

paging PFF...FIFA...