Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:26 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:11 pm 
Heavyweight

blonde_balbon wrote:
Tatay wrote:
I think people are getting a bit carried away, the kid is pretty average, not to take away anything from him, he has skills but has no speed and not very athletic, but those videos of him when he was only seven shows promise but nothing exceptional. It shows he's pretty good in the bracket he is in. Let's hope he can play as far as he can though, to reach his dreams.

imakaiw wrote:
We wish the best of luck to the kid, son of Cong Edmund Reyes.

Pero, marami pang matatalino at magagaling dyan. Just bring the rigid screening to the Philippines and you'll find more :)

I agree with u guys, a lot of kids that are as good as this one and some are better than him who just don't have any resources, specially in the Visayas. I've seen lot's of them also in my son's little league soccer ...

I hope the Barca sponsorship opened the door for more discovery of talented and passionate kids in the PH :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:03 pm 
Heavyweight

Mullato wrote:
I saw this boy play and he's really good. Despite his young age, he has the moves of a skilled football player.
He's actually the son of the former Congressman Edmund Reyes.

madalas siguro sa cuenca yan ano?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:44 pm 
Heavyweight

cvrom62 wrote:
dwight wrote:
Sana pumunta ang Barca sa Barotac...
They will see a lot of children like this kid... :D

i agree 100 percent...

Genuine passion of the game...the Brazil of the Philippines

Barotac Nuevo, Iloilo the football capital of the Philippines bro dwight :D

the genuine love for football is alive and kicking.

All kids, rich or poor, play football on streets, rice fields, town plaza and anywhere with a flat surface.

Im sure scholarship will be given to kids down there

a lode mine of football skills

paging PFF...FIFA...

Agree...
People watched worldcup even until wee hours in the morning...
So much passion for the game... :D

I read an article in INQ where those barefoot Barotac kids blanked the ADMU varsity team.... :lol: :lol:
I just forgot the link... :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:50 pm 
Heavyweight

Here is the story:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Barotac Nuevo By Nico Ordoñez
Youngblood
Barotac Nuevo
By Nico Ordoñez
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 22:24:00 04/25/2011

Filed Under: Opinion surveys, local officials, Sport, Football
WHEN I was in Grade 5, I discovered that in the small provincial town of Barotac Nuevo, Iloilo, the genuine love for football was alive and kicking. All kids, rich or poor, play football on streets, rice fields, town plaza and anywhere with a flat surface. If other towns in our country were to share in Barotac Nuevo’s passion for football, we would have already established ourselves earlier as a genuine football nation.

While most towns in the Philippines are devoted to basketball, Barotac Nuevo is devoted to football. Call it the Brazil of the Philippines. Like Brazil, the town locals have made playing football part of their daily activity.

Before my Barotac Nuevo experience, I joined our school’s football summer training camp in which our coach invited us to participate in a local football tournament to be held in Barotac Nuevo. Leaving home frightened me but I was very excited to join the training camp because our coach said that Barotac Nuevo players are the most passionate when it comes to football. They eat, sleep and play football daily.

The tournament in Barotac Nuevo was held at Monfort Plaza, a field named after the Monfort brothers who brought football to Iloilo in the 1920s. The field’s location reminded me of a traditional Spanish barangay set-up; a church on one side of the plaza surrounded by different villages. Monfort Plaza was at the center of the town where everyone gathered to watch people play football.

During our first game against Barotac players, I managed to compare how both teams looked like from the side lines. The players in our team wore brand-new football shoes, a fresh pair of long socks and our signature dark blue school jersey, making our team beautifully visible in the field. On the other side of the field were Barotac boys with no game jerseys, no game shorts, no shin guards, and no long socks. Not even color-coded shirts. “How sad…,” I thought to myself. But the thing that caught my attention most was that the other team’s players didn’t have any shoes on. At first, I couldn’t believe that they were going to play against our team barefoot until our coach told us that it was usual to see young Barotac boys play without any shoes. I continued observing the other team because I was amused with their informal get-up. A team without any jersey is a no-no in football tournaments in Manila.

Once the referee blew the whistle, our team had difficulty getting possession of the ball. Even though our team looked more professional with our jerseys, we couldn’t keep up with the speed and passing of the barefoot Barotac boys. When my coach substituted me in to play, I immediately chased one Barotac boy and attempted to get the ball from him. Afterwards, I fell to the ground. That was the first time I felt the incredible strength of a Barotac player. I had never felt a push as strong as his before.

As the game progressed, our team got more and more tired while the Barotac players remained active and strong. I observed them closely so that I could learn their technique. Their team’s strategy was simple. It was non-stop passing and running to an open space until they scored a goal. During our first game, the Barotac team scored three goals in the first half. We had difficulty gaining ball possession because we had never played against a team that ran and passed the ball as quickly as they did. Later on, the Barotac team scored two more goals, eventually winning the game 5-0.

After experiencing an unexpected defeat, we went back to our hotel in low spirits. When my dad asked me how the game went, I felt very embarrassed to tell him that kids without shoes played better than we did. Back in the hotel, our coach told us something that pacified us. He said that the reason behind the winning mentality of Barotac players was that for Barotac players, football is more than just a sport. It was something to look forward to during the day. Most Barotac kids used their mornings to help their families in household chores and used their afternoons to play football. Football kept them in high spirits even if their families couldn’t afford to send them to school, at least for most of them. In short, Barotac kids always cherish each moment every time they play football. When you look at it from that perspective, I guess our team’s loss wasn’t so bad.

While we didn’t have any scheduled games, I strolled around the town plaza watching other football games. During those moments, I observed what the Barotac audience was like. They all came from different backgrounds, lined up along the sides of the field wherever a game was being played. And the moment a goal was scored by one team, everyone rejoiced and cheered. I was amazed to see that all these people coming from different backgrounds stopped to watch kids play football. At that moment, I realized that there was something special about Barotac Nuevo. The town’s passion for football can’t be found anywhere else in the Philippines.

Why are Barotac football players the best when it comes to football? Simply because it’s in their culture. I asked one of my friends from Barotac regarding the town’s passion for football and he said that football is really just the main sport in their town. Barotac kids prefer football over basketball and thus more local tournaments are held giving everybody the opportunity to play. “Kids here play football every day,” he said. Aside from this, Barotac Nuevo has many football icons for locals, both young and old, to look up to. Among them are Yanti Barsales, Ian Araneta and Chieffy Caligdong, all members of the Philippine “Azkals” Football Team.

Playing football at Barotac Nuevo exposed me to the kind of passion for football we need to become a genuine football nation. When Barotac players play, games will always be intense. When Barotac players score, cheers will always be loud. When Barotac players run, plays will always be exciting. I adore these Ilonggos for their strength and skill when it comes to playing football.

The lack of uniforms, shoes and facilities give Barotac players the drive and determination to play every game like it’s their last. This underdog mentality can be our fighting chance on our way to becoming a genuine football nation.

The next time you go to Barotac Nuevo, Iloilo and you see kids playing football, don’t be surprised if they come to you saying “Hampang taha!” That’s the signal it’s time to play with them.

Nico Ordoñez, 18, is a first year student at University of Asia and the Pacific. He played for the NCR Football team during the 2009 Palarong Pambansa.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:06 pm 
Heavyweight

dwight wrote:
Here is the story:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Barotac Nuevo By Nico Ordoñez
Youngblood
Barotac Nuevo
By Nico Ordoñez
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 22:24:00 04/25/2011

Filed Under: Opinion surveys, local officials, Sport, Football
WHEN I was in Grade 5, I discovered that in the small provincial town of Barotac Nuevo, Iloilo, the genuine love for football was alive and kicking. All kids, rich or poor, play football on streets, rice fields, town plaza and anywhere with a flat surface. If other towns in our country were to share in Barotac Nuevo’s passion for football, we would have already established ourselves earlier as a genuine football nation.

While most towns in the Philippines are devoted to basketball, Barotac Nuevo is devoted to football. Call it the Brazil of the Philippines. Like Brazil, the town locals have made playing football part of their daily activity.

Before my Barotac Nuevo experience, I joined our school’s football summer training camp in which our coach invited us to participate in a local football tournament to be held in Barotac Nuevo. Leaving home frightened me but I was very excited to join the training camp because our coach said that Barotac Nuevo players are the most passionate when it comes to football. They eat, sleep and play football daily.

The tournament in Barotac Nuevo was held at Monfort Plaza, a field named after the Monfort brothers who brought football to Iloilo in the 1920s. The field’s location reminded me of a traditional Spanish barangay set-up; a church on one side of the plaza surrounded by different villages. Monfort Plaza was at the center of the town where everyone gathered to watch people play football.

During our first game against Barotac players, I managed to compare how both teams looked like from the side lines. The players in our team wore brand-new football shoes, a fresh pair of long socks and our signature dark blue school jersey, making our team beautifully visible in the field. On the other side of the field were Barotac boys with no game jerseys, no game shorts, no shin guards, and no long socks. Not even color-coded shirts. “How sad…,” I thought to myself. But the thing that caught my attention most was that the other team’s players didn’t have any shoes on. At first, I couldn’t believe that they were going to play against our team barefoot until our coach told us that it was usual to see young Barotac boys play without any shoes. I continued observing the other team because I was amused with their informal get-up. A team without any jersey is a no-no in football tournaments in Manila.

Once the referee blew the whistle, our team had difficulty getting possession of the ball. Even though our team looked more professional with our jerseys, we couldn’t keep up with the speed and passing of the barefoot Barotac boys. When my coach substituted me in to play, I immediately chased one Barotac boy and attempted to get the ball from him. Afterwards, I fell to the ground. That was the first time I felt the incredible strength of a Barotac player. I had never felt a push as strong as his before.

As the game progressed, our team got more and more tired while the Barotac players remained active and strong. I observed them closely so that I could learn their technique. Their team’s strategy was simple. It was non-stop passing and running to an open space until they scored a goal. During our first game, the Barotac team scored three goals in the first half. We had difficulty gaining ball possession because we had never played against a team that ran and passed the ball as quickly as they did. Later on, the Barotac team scored two more goals, eventually winning the game 5-0.

After experiencing an unexpected defeat, we went back to our hotel in low spirits. When my dad asked me how the game went, I felt very embarrassed to tell him that kids without shoes played better than we did. Back in the hotel, our coach told us something that pacified us. He said that the reason behind the winning mentality of Barotac players was that for Barotac players, football is more than just a sport. It was something to look forward to during the day. Most Barotac kids used their mornings to help their families in household chores and used their afternoons to play football. Football kept them in high spirits even if their families couldn’t afford to send them to school, at least for most of them. In short, Barotac kids always cherish each moment every time they play football. When you look at it from that perspective, I guess our team’s loss wasn’t so bad.

While we didn’t have any scheduled games, I strolled around the town plaza watching other football games. During those moments, I observed what the Barotac audience was like. They all came from different backgrounds, lined up along the sides of the field wherever a game was being played. And the moment a goal was scored by one team, everyone rejoiced and cheered. I was amazed to see that all these people coming from different backgrounds stopped to watch kids play football. At that moment, I realized that there was something special about Barotac Nuevo. The town’s passion for football can’t be found anywhere else in the Philippines.

Why are Barotac football players the best when it comes to football? Simply because it’s in their culture. I asked one of my friends from Barotac regarding the town’s passion for football and he said that football is really just the main sport in their town. Barotac kids prefer football over basketball and thus more local tournaments are held giving everybody the opportunity to play. “Kids here play football every day,” he said. Aside from this, Barotac Nuevo has many football icons for locals, both young and old, to look up to. Among them are Yanti Barsales, Ian Araneta and Chieffy Caligdong, all members of the Philippine “Azkals” Football Team.

Playing football at Barotac Nuevo exposed me to the kind of passion for football we need to become a genuine football nation. When Barotac players play, games will always be intense. When Barotac players score, cheers will always be loud. When Barotac players run, plays will always be exciting. I adore these Ilonggos for their strength and skill when it comes to playing football.

The lack of uniforms, shoes and facilities give Barotac players the drive and determination to play every game like it’s their last. This underdog mentality can be our fighting chance on our way to becoming a genuine football nation.

The next time you go to Barotac Nuevo, Iloilo and you see kids playing football, don’t be surprised if they come to you saying “Hampang taha!” That’s the signal it’s time to play with them.

Nico Ordoñez, 18, is a first year student at University of Asia and the Pacific. He played for the NCR Football team during the 2009 Palarong Pambansa.

passion for the game :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:27 am 
Heavyweight

Son of Former Congressman Edmund Reyes :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:47 am 
Heavyweight

patutsky wrote:
Son of Former Congressman Edmund Reyes :D

yes bro Patutz...a parent's dream come true as well...

http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/fo ... e-worth-it

FCBEscola is the official Football School of FC Barcelona -- one of the most successful clubs in the world -- which focuses on training 6-12 year-olds.

Successful kids would then have a chance to move up to La Masia, the home of Barcelona's youth squad. :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:50 pm 
Middleweight

Tatay wrote:
Barabarabay wrote:
Tatay wrote:
Not bad, he's in for a rude awaking though. Hopefully this will start interest in our kids.

remember he got chosen primarily for his passion for the game, meaning he's notexactly the most talented one. he should know what he's up against.

True, and most likely because he's a former congressman's son.

He will definately improve once he gets back.

it's not because he have a former congressman father but because of his talent, there were only two of them choosen in his age group in the final 400( from the thousand + kids around the world) that had trial in spain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:54 pm 
Heavyweight

FC Barca school saw something in this kid bro dukot

passion to play the beautiful game :D

good luck and sharpen those skills we are proud of you

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:09 am 
Cruiserweight

"LIKE" Sandro Reyes' Facebook Page:

LINK: https://www.facebook.com/SandroReyesPH

The future of Philippine football!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:09 am 
Heavyweight