Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Mon May 28, 2018 5:50 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:41 am 
Middleweight

Thanks for the updates. Go go go.... Malditas. theres pretty strong competition here..... with Japan Thailand and Australia.. I wish there is video coverage. Paging Dyan Castillejo.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:04 pm 
Heavyweight

Philippine Malditas vs Indonesia Highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... wzdc5bUbs0

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:25 pm 
Heavyweight

Much better video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDYUvf1i ... e=youtu.be

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:11 pm 
Heavyweight

Go Malditas!!!

-----------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:09 pm 
Strawweight

Nierras' Last Chance: It's Medal or Bust for the Malditas

Being a big fan of the Philippine Women's National Team, I'm really excited to see how our girls will fare at the SEA Games. I feel, with the caliber of players from the Division 1 colleges that are being brought in, that we have a legitimate chance to get to the Semifinals with an opportunity to win a medal.

Unfortunately, I do have one concern.

I think one of the mini storylines heading into the SEA Games is whether or not Coach Ernie Nierras can finally get this team passed the group stage. The always outspoken coach, who's well-known for his social media rants, has not yet proven he can do so, most recently failing at both the AFC Women's Asian Cup Qualifiers in May and in the AFF Women's Championships in September.

In all fairness, Nierras took over a struggling Women's National Team program with zero support. The players at the time had very little talent to compete at the International level. I don't believe there were any realistic goals for the team back then. If the team lost, it was no big deal. For them, it was about gaining international experience.

Fast forward a few years later, times have changed. Through the help of individuals in the US who volunteered their time to scout players, the quality of the team has gotten tremendously better. We now have a squad that can compete with the best in Southeast Asia. Some may even argue that our team is the favorites to win gold at this year's SEA Games.

In other words, there's no more excuses. There's absolutely nothing to hide behind. Nierras needs to step up and prove he's the right coach for the job. It's as simple as that. And if for whatever reason he doesn't get it done, then I almost have to believe a coaching change is necessary.

Talking all tough on social media is one thing. But time and time again after the team falls short, you see Nierras after eating his own words, tuck his tail between his legs and start apologizing as if it's no big deal. I'm sorry, but that won't cut it this time.

When you fail to get out of the group stage with this kind of roster at your disposal, you almost leave the PFF with no other choice. I mean, what kind of message would the PFF be sending to the players, the fans, and the organization if they didn't look to better the team's results, even if that means going in a different coaching direction.

Unlike in past years where the PFF almost had to beg a coach to handle the Women's National Team, if this job were available today, I think there'd be a handful of coaches lining up to interview for it. It's that enticing. I mean, who wouldn't want to coach these players. There's so much talent and potential.

Personally, I think Buda Bautista would be the best fit. She was Nierras' assistant coach at the AFC Women's Asian Cup Qualifiers. She's an AFC "A" licensed coach. She knows her stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:18 am 
Heavyweight

Malditas Football Team to the Myanmar SEA Games-

Despite a few key players out due to either injuries or personal matters, Malditas coach Ernie Nierras remains confident of the team’s chances to bag a medal in the SEA Games’ showpiece event, where they are bracketed in Group B with the host team, Indonesia, Myanmar, and Vietnam.

“This is still the best team (assembled),” Malditas coach Ernie Nierras said in a phone conversation on Saturday.

With skipper Marielle Benitez (ACL), Heather Cooke (achilles), and Camille Wilson unavailable, Nierras expects the rest of the players to step up for them to reach the crossover semifinals, at least.

Joana Houplin (Western Washington) and Jesse Shugg (Miami) are counted on to score the goals, while defenders Catherine Barnekow (North Carolina), Sarah Cook (UC Bakersfield), and new-girl Alexa Diaz (Seattle Pacific) will anchor the backline, along with first-choice goalkeeper Maria dela Cruz (Idaho State).

Natasha Alquiros (La Salle), Marisa Park (Wake Forest), and Sam Nierras (La Salle) are expected to facilitate the offense in the midfield.

Defenders Morgan Brown (Santa Clara), Katherine Lim (Boston), and Patrice Impelido (Western Michigan); midfielders Monika Lee (Loyola), Rachel Nichols (Cornell), Raylene Larot (Sacramento State), Megan Jurado (San Diego State), Chalise Baysa (Oregon), Aisa Mondero (University of Santo Tomas); forward Christina Delos Reyes (University of the Philippines); and ‘keeper Patricia Dull (Temple City) complete the 20-woman roster.

http://www.spin.ph/sports/football/news ... ierras-v02

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:21 am 
Heavyweight

ABS-CBN Sports ‏@abscbnsports
ABS-CBN Sports will air the Philippines' men's basketball and women's football games in the 2013 SEA Games starting Dec 9, Mon on Studio 23
Stay tuned for the telecast schedule of the games of Sinag Pilipinas and the Malditas in the 2013 SEA Games.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:59 pm 
Strawweight

Misadventure in Mandalay: The PWNT was doomed from the start

After having a few days to reflect on the Women's National Team's misadventure at the 27th SEA Games, I've come to the conclusion that this journey was doomed from the very beginning.

Backtrack to the onset....Most of these girls arrived later than expected, not because of the NCAA Post-season or Academics, but because their flight tickets were either cancelled or voided while they were at their respective airports. This happened to almost all the girls coming from the states. Unfortunately I have yet to figure out the reasoning behind this, whether it was on Nierras, the PFF, or some other inside influence. Either way, it looks unbelievably incompetent. Whoever was behind that should be embarrassed and be relieved of their duties immediately.

So now these girls have missed out on a day or 2 days of training/preparations because of this debacle.

Fast forward to Manila Camp....With most of the girls now in the Philippines, you would think the focus would purely be on the training, working on in-game tactics, basically getting the team chemistry back....Well, not exactly. Some of it was. The other half was spent doing PR appearances. Melmac Sports' head Mel Macasaet had this brilliant idea of having the girls run around (like they weren’t doing enough of that already), meeting up with Globe's CEO Ernest Cu, Toby's Sports' President Toby Claudio, and Senator Pia Cayetano. Now, I'm all for making the Public Relation rounds, but not at the expense of team preparation.

Speaking of which, the training was very "impaired" and instead of doing any actual teaching or coaching, Nierras would just yell throughout the entire session for the sake of possibly hearing his own voice. I mean, he was joking around with the players. It’s clearly shown on the videos posted on the team’s Facebook page. The team focus wasn't evident.

The overall schedule itself was disorganized and chaotic. Everything was done last minute. After most of the evening training sessions, instead of going home and resting, the girls would have to wait for Nierras to deal with his other “issues” (Stallion-related) before heading back to the condo, which was anywhere from an hour to 3 hour wait. Again, I’ve said this before in a prior post….Being a National Team Head Coach is a full-time job. How Nierras can find the time to deal with his UFL team’s “problems” while dealing with the most important competition for the WNT is beyond me.

This would ultimately lead to the girls questioning his leadership.

In Myanmar....At this point, the “rift” between the girls and Nierras has surfaced. Some of the girls have already expressed their displeasure with the tactics being implemented, even going as far as ignoring portions of it.

Things came to extreme blows during the Vietnam game, when a clearly shown on-the-field shouting altercation between Nierras and forward Jesse Shugg intensified, prompting the outspoken coach to make a highly questionable substitution, removing both Shugg and Monika Lee from the game.

We can only imagine if there was any altercations in the locker room after the game.

The bottomline is...Nierras has been "exposed". With his huge ego, his unconvincing tactics and blatant favoritism towards certain players (I’ll let you guess who I’m referring to), he has lost the complete respect and trust of the girls. They have zero belief in his ability to coach. The guy is cheap. This is something I don't think he will ever recover from.

I hope the Philippine Football Federation, in particular the PFF president Nonong Araneta, General Secretary Atty. Ed Gastanes and Technical Development Department Head Aris Caslib, will conduct a thorough evaluation on Nierras’ performance (on and off the field), not only during the Southeast Asian Games, but also during the AFC Asian Cup Qualifiers and the AFF Women’s Championships.

If the Azkals head coach Michael Weiss has to be subjected to these standard formalities, then I think our Women’s National Team head coach should be no exception.

I believe the overwhelming evidence will show that it’s time for a new voice to take charge of the Women’s National Team. Nierras has had his opportunity, now it's time for a more deserving coach to get theirs.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:34 pm 
Strawweight

Malditas endure delayed flights home as allegations of fraud rock team management

By Karl Decena, InterAksyon.com

The Philippine national women’s football team had a lackluster campaign in the 2013 Southeast Asian Games last December, losing all of its matches to bow out of medal contention.

It was a disappointing result for the Malditas, who were pinning high hopes on their lineup composed of varsity players from the United States with Filipino lineage.

But according to some players, worse things happened outside the pitch. InterAksyon.com learned that some players had troubles getting to the Philippines and going back home due to the numerous delays in their flights, which were booked by Malditas coach Ernie Nierras.

Malditas midfielder Monika Lee shared on Twitter her flight delays back to the United States.

After the SEA Games, all the players went back to Manila, where US-based players boarded a plane going home. Lee left the Philippines on December 22, with layovers in Los Angeles and Miami before landing in Detroit, where her family lives nearby.

But she encountered a problem in the Los Angeles airport where she was barred from continuing her trip.

“And the fiasco CONTINUES. Stuck in LAX #MerryChristmas,” she wrote in a tweet last December 23.

In response to tweets, Lee said that the airport management had issues with the credit card used by Nierras to book her flight. “The credit card Ernie used was reported stolen. So I have no ticket and the agent said I’ll have to purchase my own,” she wrote in response to Malditas teammate Joana Houplin.

“It was news to me! I tried to check in & they told me the card was stolen & the name of the card didn’t match my coaches name,” she wrote in reply to a certain Adam Dury.

To avoid fraud, most airlines often require passengers to present the physical credit card used for booking flights. Cardholders who are not part of the trip, however, still need to present their cards to the ticketing office for verification prior to departure.

Lee’s mother, Nemone, also took to Twitter to share her frustration about the incident.

“I am so done with this! I just want my daughter home!!!! Never again. Hang in there,” she wrote in a tweet to Monika also on December 23.

Nemone eventually bought a ticket that brought her daughter from Los Angeles to Phoenix and finally Detroit. She had some parting shots to Malditas management about the incident.

“It is a mess with the PWNT (Philippine women’s national football team). I will have to tell you about it. She will be home soon! Thank God!” she wrote in response to a certain Mary Tangalos on the same day.

InterAksyon.com tried to reach Monika and Nemone for comment, but they haven’t replied to queries as of posting time.

Not an isolated case

Another member of the Malditas, who opted not to be named, said that she also experienced delays not just on her trip back, but also in her flight to the Philippines.

The SEA Games women’s football competition began in Myanmar last December 10, and she was asked to come to Manila a few days before the tournament.

A varsity player from one of the oldest universities in the US, she was frustrated with the many delays she had to endure just to get to the Philippines. It was earlier agreed that she would fly to Manila from a city in California. Her mother booked a trip for her to fly from school to that city.

But she said that Nierras kept on making last-minute changes to her trip schedule, and even told her that the flight was moved to another city in California.

“I already confirmed with my professors at school my official date to leave, but Coach kept changing it,” she said. “My mom was frustrated because she had to cancel my ticket now.”

But once she was at the airport, authorities prevented her from boarding the plane to Manila allegedly due to issues with the credit card Nierras used to book the trip.

“They wouldn’t validate my ticket unless the credit card holder is there himself to present the card since I didn’t pay myself. My mom called them to see what was wrong and they said they believed the card to be a fraud,” she said.

She informed Nierras about what happened, and the coach booked a flight on the evening on the same day from a different airline. “So I waited six hours ’til then,” she said.

She also experienced delays in her return to the United States, and her difficulty in getting in touch with Nierras about the situation didn’t help. She said that she was supposed to leave Manila last December 22, and the coach promised to give her confirmation about the flight the day before.

But despite numerous attempts, Nierras could not be reached even on the day of her supposed flight, according to the player. Fortunately, she was able to ask for help from someone she knew who happened to work in an airlines company. Her flight was finally scheduled on the evening of the next day.

“I waited and waited and kept contacting him when I had the chance to connect to Wi-Fi but it wasn’t until 4 p.m. where I had (someone) contact him and he said my flight was the 23rd in the evening,” she said.

Boarding the plane with a teammate, she said that her flight was postponed to the day after, further limiting her time to spend holidays with her family.

The Malditas member said that what happened to her was not an isolated incident after learning the experiences of her other teammates.

“There were way too many instances where our flights got changed and/or delayed, or our tickets would be claimed to be fraud,” she said.

Usage of fraudulent credit cards in transactions is punishable under Republic Act No. 8484, or the Access Devices Regulation Act of 1998, with penalties ranging from a fine of at least P10,000 to imprisonment of six to 20 years.

Nierras defends himself

Nierras defended himself against the allegations that fraudulent credit cards were used to book tickets, saying it was not him who arranged the trips.

“I did not book the flight. This was booked by a travel agent,” Nierras said. “Unfortunately the player tweeted that I used a stolen card. The travel agency is still looking into the cause of the cancellation of the players’ flight.”

Nierras added that he and his group are already looking into the issue. He declined to give more details about the incident, including the name of the travel agency concerned, so as to not preempt their investigation.

A known active user of social media, Nierras also explained why he remained silent about the incident.

“Addressing it is just making something out of nothing,” Nierras said. “I cannot disclose any more information until our investigation is done.”

He believes that the issue is being used by critics as a demolition job against him.

“There is a group of people doing this to discredit me,” Nierras said.

Black mark

Amid the investigation, the issue is already leaving a black mark on the reputation of the national team.

Playing for the squad is definitely an honor, said the same Malditas member who refused to be named. But after the incident, she’s already having second thoughts about joining the squad again.

“I am still not sure if I will return if given the chance. Each time I visit I sacrifice much more than I need to. It’s either I sacrifice my grades, or spending time with my family,” she said.

“I hardly see them already and I would have had the chance to spend an extra couple of weeks with my family winter break, but had barely made it home in time for Christmas, and now have a week left before leaving for school again.

“I’d truly do anything to play for our country, yet sometimes it’s just asking for too much in return.”

http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/ma ... management

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:01 pm 
Strawweight

FTW: What's Happening With the Malditas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmhcHXZTJEk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13