Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:36 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3705 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234 ... 247  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:03 pm 
Heavyweight

Crawford, Díaz, the Pride of Newark and 2016 U.S. Olympic silver medalist SHAKUR STEVENSON, world-rated lightweight contenders RAY "Sugar" BELTRAN and JONATHAN "The Last Inca" MAICELO hosted a Final Press Conference at Madison Square Garden. Here is what they had to say: 

TERENCE CRAWFORD 

“I‘m excited to be fighting in The Garden’s main arena and following in the steps of great fighters – legends. I am proud to continue the tradition. I don’t feel any pressure fighting at The Garden. The ring, no matter where it is, always feels like home to me. I just have to keep winning. If I keep winning then the opportunities for even bigger fights will present themselves. But this is a really big fight to me. Diaz is a worthy challenger and you can’t bring just any fight to The Garden. I didn’t get this far without winning. I ‘m ready for any opportunities at 140 or 147 pounds. I want to put a show on for everyone on Saturday night. I WILL make a statement.” 

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:07 pm 
Heavyweight

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:08 pm 
Heavyweight

Crawford on Getting His Proper Credit: I'll Just Keep Winning

By Victor Salazar

New York - Terence Crawford (30-0, 21 KO’s) returns to the squared circle, defending his WBO and WBC junior. welterweight titles against Dominican Olympic Gold Medalist Felix Diaz (19-1, 9 KO’s).

The HBO televised fight will take place inside the big room in Madison Square Garden. Although Crawford may be a sizable favorite, the unbeaten champion isn’t keen on the odds and expects Diaz to come in there with his best.

“He’s ready, we’ll have to see come Saturday,” Crawford told BoxingScene.com. “He’s ready but we’ll have to see Saturday how good he is, I’ll be successful if I got out there and just be myself."

- See more at:

http://www.boxingscene.com/crawford-on- ... bkUZg.dpuf

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:09 pm 
Heavyweight

A lot of the greats have fought in Madison Square Garden but Crawford is out to make his own history. The undefeated unified champion feel that losing is not an option on this boxing journey. “I believe it’s something that you’re born with, the hatred of losing,” stated Crawford. “It’s just something in me that I hate losing but it keeps me hungry. It makes me train tremendously harder because you don’t want to let everyone down. I don’t fear losing because I have before. I just don’t like the feeling so that is why I make sure I don’t feel that again.” Crawford has notable wins against Ricky Burns, Yuriorkis Gamboa, and Viktor Postol. Although he is trying to unify his division, many of the fights that fans want to see are either a weight division above - with opponents like Keith Thurman Adrien Broner, and Errol Spence; or fights with guys that would have to move up to face him like Vasyl Lomachenko and Mikey Garcia. Either way, Crawford feels that he may not get his due credit regardless of what he does and he’s ok with that.

- See more at:

http://www.boxingscene.com/crawford-on- ... bkUZg.dpuf

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:13 am 
Heavyweight

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:14 am 
Heavyweight

Canelo vs. Chavez Jr. Will Crack One Million Pay-Per-View Buys

LOS ANGELES - The Canelo Alvarez vs. Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr. fight on Cinco De Mayo weekend will generate more than one million buys on HBO Pay-Per-View, locking in Canelo's status as the brightest light in boxing, Golden Boy Promotions announced today.

"Everything I do is for the fans, and I want to express my gratitude for everyone who watches my fights and shows their support," Canelo said. "My fans are the greatest in the world and this year in September on Mexican Independence weekend, everyone can look forward to another incredible performance."

- See more at:

http://www.boxingscene.com/canelo-vs-ch ... WCdQm.dpuf

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:57 am 
Heavyweight

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:03 am 
Heavyweight

By Chris Williams: WBA/WBC light welterweight champion Terence “Bud” Crawford (30-0, 21 KOs) weighed in on Friday at 139.2 pounds for his title defense against what could be the toughest opponent of his career in Felix Diaz (19-1, 9 KOs) for their fight this Saturday night at Madison Square Garden in New York. Diaz weighed in at 139.4 pounds. Both fighters looked good as always. Crawford-Diaz will be televised on HBO World Championship Boxing.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:11 am 
Heavyweight

Crawford, 29, says he wants to make a statement in this fight against Diaz, which obviously means he’s hoping to knockout the 33-year-old 2008 Olympic gold medalist. That would be the ideal outcome for Crawford in this fight. But if Crawford doesn’t knockout Diaz, he could wind up being made to look really bad against him. Diaz is tough and he puts a lot of pressure on his opponents.

Crawford needs to look good in this fight because he did not look good in running around the ring in his last two fights against John Molina Jr. and Viktor Postol Jr. Crawford needs to showcase his boxing skills and that means not running. Crawford can do whatever he wants. It’s his career. But if he wants to become a star, then he’s going to need to stand his ground and show that he can beat Diaz by staying in the pocket.

We didn’t see that from Crawford in his fights against Molina and Postol. Crawford ran a lot in this fights and it was boring to watch. I don’t know if Crawford realizes how a lot of boxing fans perceive him. If Crawford did know, he’d be trying to mix it up more to make his fights exciting to watch.

This should be a better fight than Crawford’s last 6 fights. Those were all boring and one-sided fights, especially the Crawford-Molina Jr. fight. Crawford was on his bike for most of that contest until the 8th. Crawford’s last compelling fight was 3 years ago against Cuban Yuriorkis Gamboa in June 2014. The only reason that was an exciting fight was because Gamboa took the fight to Crawford, forcing him to trade shots with him. Crawford struggled against Gamboa. If not for Gamboa’s fragile chin, we might have seen a negative outcome for Crawford.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:24 am 
Heavyweight

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:30 am 
Heavyweight

Photos: Terence Crawford, Felix Diaz - Ready For MSG Battle

By Keith Idec

Terence Crawford and Felix Diaz made weight Friday for their super lightweight title fight Saturday night at Madison Square Garden. Photos by Mikey Williams/Top Rank.

The 29-year-old Crawford (30-0, 21 KOs), of Omaha, Nebraska, weighed in at 139.2 pounds for their 12-round fight. The official weight for the 33-year-old Diaz (19-1, 9 KOs), a southpaw from the Dominican Republic, was 139.4 pounds.

HBO will televise Crawford-Diaz as the main event of a “World Championship Boxing” doubleheader. The telecast is scheduled to begin at 10:15 p.m. ET/PT.

- See more at:

http://www.boxingscene.com/photos-teren ... lVOVE.dpuf

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:33 am 
Heavyweight

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:35 am 
Heavyweight

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:39 am 
Heavyweight

Crawford Weighs in at 139.2 Pounds; Diaz Weighs in at 139.4

By Keith Idec

Terence Crawford and Felix Diaz made weight Friday for their super lightweight title fight Saturday night at Madison Square Garden.

The 29-year-old Crawford (30-0, 21 KOs), of Omaha, Nebraska, weighed in at 139.2 pounds for their 12-round fight. The official weight for the 33-year-old Diaz (19-1, 9 KOs), a southpaw from the Dominican Republic, was 139.4 pounds.

- See more at:

http://www.boxingscene.com/crawford-wei ... J2Yho.dpuf

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:44 am 
Heavyweight

“I’m very excited to be in the big room,” Diaz told Top Rank’s Crystina Poncher through a translator following the weigh-in. “I’m very excited to display my talent come Saturday.” Crawford is listed by most Internet sports books as a 25-1 favorite over Diaz, but Diaz is viewed by some as a very live underdog. The 2008 Olympic gold medalist has lost only a majority decision to WBA welterweight champion Lamont Peterson (34-3-1, 17 KOs) in October 2015. “I’m gonna become a world champion tomorrow,” Diaz said. “Everything will happen tomorrow. Wait to see what happens.”

- See more at:

http://www.boxingscene.com/crawford-wei ... J2Yho.dpuf

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3705 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234 ... 247  Next