Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:42 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4058 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 254, 255, 256, 257, 258, 259, 260 ... 271  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:07 pm 
Heavyweight

Bob Arum: Vasyl Lomachenko is a Throwback to Muhammad Ali

Vasyl Lomachenko is being compared to the late, great Muhammad Ali after yet another stunning victory in his esteemed career.

Widely regarded as the greatest amateur boxer of all time, Lomachenko added another notch to his impressive professional career, dominating Miguel Marriaga after seven rounds on Saturday night while defending his WBO 130-pound title for the third time in nine months.

Lomachenko (9-1, 7 KOs), the two-time Olympic gold medallist from Ukraine, showcased his virtuosic technical skill and athletic prowess in another one-sided victory.

http://www.boxingscene.com/bob-arum-vas ... li--119240

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:42 pm 
Heavyweight

Golovkin's Coach: Charlo Has To Earn Shot, Not in Jacobs' Class!

By Radio Rahim

Abel Sanchez, head trainer for WBA, WBC, IBF, IBO middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin (37-0, 33 KOs), was impressed in the least by Jermall Charlo's recent stoppage win over Jorge Sebastian Heiland.

The bout was the middleweight debut for Charlo (26-0, 20 KOs), who had vacated his IBF 154-pound title to move up. The World Boxing Council sanctioned the fight as a final world title eliminator.

Golovkin will defend that title on September 16th, at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. The opponent is Mexican superstar Saul "Canelo" Alvarez.

http://www.boxingscene.com/golovkin-coa ... ss--119245

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:55 pm 
Heavyweight

Lomachenko: Rigondeaux Fight Would Play Out Like Marriaga Did!

By Steve Kim

As Vasyl Lomachenko (9-1, 7 KOs) came over to press row after his seven round destruction of Miguel Marriaga on Saturday night at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles, talks turned to just who the defending WBO super featherweight belt-holder would like to face next.

"This question I always have, it doesn't matter - anybody," he answered. "It's not my job, understand. My job is to work my best boxing in the ring."

There is a segment of the fan-base that would like to see him square off with another noted, boxer and fellow two-time Olympic gold medalist, Guillermo Rigondeaux (17-0, 11 KOs).

http://www.boxingscene.com/lomachenko-r ... ga--119250

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:38 am 
Heavyweight

Farewell, Klitschko - History's most physically daunting heavyweight

By Lyle Fitzsimmons

Given the sentimentality that retirements can bring, some folks out there may be thinking it.

But we'll go ahead and say it.

When it comes to career-long bodies of work, Wladimir Klitschko was the most physically daunting heavyweight champion who ever lived.

Klitschko, for those who missed it, abruptly stepped away last week – scuttling plans for a Las Vegas rematch of what’ll now go down as his swan song, an 11th-round TKO loss to Anthony Joshua in London that’ll no doubt get some late-2017 love when fight and round of the year voting commences.

http://www.boxingscene.com/farewell-kli ... ht--119278

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:21 pm 
Heavyweight

McGregor Has The Edge!

Floyd Mayweather (49-0, 26 KOs) has been out of the ring for nearly two years.

On August 26th at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, he returns for the first time since announcing his retirement following a twelve round decision win over Andre Berto.

The opponent, which nobody saw coming, is UFC superstar Conor McGregor.

http://www.boxingscene.com/mayweather-i ... ge--119305

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:36 pm 
Heavyweight

Marquez: KO of Pacquiao Was Redemption For The Robberies

By Miguel Rivera

One of the great rivalries in boxing history was played out between future Hall of Famers Juan Manuel Marquez of Mexico and Filipino legend Manny Pacquiao.

They had four spectacular fights that Marquez closed the book on with a historic knockout in their fourth bout in December 2012.

They fought to a controversial twelve round draw in 2004, and then met again in 2008 - where Pacquiao won a controversial split decision. A trilogy bout took place in 2011, with Pacquiao winning what many felt was a controversial twelve round majority decision.

http://www.boxingscene.com/marquez-ko-p ... es--119304

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:31 am 
Heavyweight

Ellerbe: Nothing Slow About Mayweather-McGregor Ticket Sales

By Keith Idec

Leonard Ellerbe delivered an emphatic message Thursday to doubters that expect Mayweather-McGregor to amount to a box-office flop.

The Mayweather Promotions CEO revealed before Floyd Mayweather Jr.’s open workout at his Las Vegas gym that more than $60 million in tickets already have been sold for Mayweather’s fight against UFC superstar Conor McGregor on August 26. Ellerbe has no doubt, either, that the event will sell out the 20,000-seat T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas and that Mayweather-McGregor will smash boxing’s record for ticket revenue – the $72 million generated from Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao in May 2015.

Ellerbe has been perplexed recently regarding constant questions about extremely expensive tickets to Mayweather-McGregor moving slowly.

Image http://www.boxingscene.com/ellerbe-noth ... es--119379

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:35 pm 
Heavyweight

Floyd Mayweather Vs. Conor McGregor Ticket Sales: Working Gate Slowly Moving Toward Historic Total

What are McGregor's chances? How long will he last? Even questions like what defines successful ticket sales numbers renders a variety of answers that are based on perception?

Rumors have been swirling concerning a lack of interest and slow ticket sales for the upcoming boxing match on August 26. Per a report from The Los Angeles Times' Lance Pugmire, there were as many as 7,000 available tickets on the primary and secondary markets.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brianmaziq ... c9f91d38ad

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:04 pm 
Heavyweight

Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe isn't worried. He says the promotional sidealready has $60 million in gate revenue secured.

With a little more than two weeks to go before the fight, can we consider this pace of sales a slow one, or are these concerns rooted in ignorance or unrealistic expectations? Ellerbe seems to suggest both are the culprit.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:45 am 
Heavyweight

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:50 am 
Heavyweight

How The Art Of Self Promotion For Mayweather-McGregor Is More Important Than Skill

By Andreas Hale

Although the August 26th fight between Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor has drawn its fair share of criticism, the bout is likely to become the biggest combat sports event in history. While it doesn’t appear to be a competitive between one of the greatest boxers of all-time and a mixed martial artist who is making his professional debut, the reasoning for this fight making waves on social media and tracking to break a multitude of records actually has little to do with what happens inside of the ring.

http://www.boxingscene.com/how-art-self ... ll--119427

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:52 am 
Heavyweight

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:52 am 
Heavyweight

AIBA Plunges Into Further Chaos, as Criminal Complaint is Filed

Amateur boxing's world governing body AIBA has been plunged deeper into civil war after the beleaguered organisation filed a criminal complaint against members of its own executive committee in Switzerland.

The move comes after a Swiss court rejected a bid by members of the International Management Committee – ostensibly, those executive committee members who passed a no-confidence motion last month – to oust president Wu Ching-kuo.

The ongoing acrimony inevitably raises serious questions over AIBA's ability to stage a successful World Championships. This year's edition is scheduled to start in Hamburg on August 25.

http://www.boxingscene.com/aiba-plunges ... ed--119432

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:22 am 
Heavyweight

Cotto-Kamegai Undercard Results

Tenochtitlan Nava (7-0, 1 KO) of Los Angeles had his hands full against Angel Aguilar (8-14, 1 KO) of Mexico in going the distance of a scheduled four round featherweight bout. Nava fought on the inside the majority of the fight pressing Aguilar who held his own making the local fighter work hard for his decision victory as the judges scored the bout 39-37 as Nava stays unbeaten as a prospect.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:25 am 
Heavyweight

In a scheduled six round welterweight bout Ronnie Rios’s younger brother Alexis Rocha (9-0, 6 KOs) of Santa Ana, California, scored a knockout over Esau Herrera (19-10-1, 10 KOs). A right hand by Rocha in the final seconds of the opening round did it dropping Herrera as he did not get up referee Jack Reiss reached a ten count at 2:59 of the first.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4058 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 254, 255, 256, 257, 258, 259, 260 ... 271  Next