Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:38 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4058 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 267, 268, 269, 270, 271
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:26 am 
Heavyweight

Rigondeaux has held world championships at super bantamweight division including the WBA (Super) and lineal titles since 2013, and previously the WBO and Ring titles between 2013 and 2016. Lomachenko has held the WBO super featherweight title since 2016, and previously the WBO featherweight title from 2014 to 2016; he won the latter title in only his third professional fight.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:27 am 
Heavyweight

Diaz said their camp are not concerned about having to gain weight from superbantamweight to superfeatherweight. "The weight will not be a problem, Lomachenko has an excellent and serious team, and so does Rigondeaux," Diaz commented. "The greatest virtue of Rigondeaux is that he will go for victory."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:29 am 
Heavyweight

The 36-year-old Rigondeaux had his last fight resulting in a controversial "no decision" against Mexican Moises Flores on June 17 of this year. The 29-year-old Lomachenko recently stopped Colombian Miguel Marriaga in the seventh round on Aug. 5. Arum said Friday that the fight will be held in the Theater at Madison Square Garden. Both boxers are widely considered as two of the best amateur fighters in history.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:30 am 
Heavyweight

One of Andre Ward's idols, former four division world champion Roy Jones Jr., thinks the unbeaten boxer deserves a high place in boxing history. "I don't know where his place in boxing history is, but it's near the top because he was very dominant in his time," Jones explained to BoxingScene. He said Ward beat a lot of people in a lot of different ways, showing a lot of versatility. Jones called Ward a great fighter, one of the greatest champions, pound for pound the best, and had a brilliant career.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:31 am 
Heavyweight

Ward was the last American male boxer to win an Olympic gold medal and he won the light heavyweight gold medal for the United States at the 2004 Games in Athens, Greece becoming the first American boxer to capture the gold in 8 years. In the preliminaries, he defeated Clemente Russo of Italy, 17-9. In the quarterfinals, he triumphed over Evgeny Makarenko of Russia, 23–16. In the semifinals, he edged Utkirbek Haydarov of Uzbekistan, 17–15. And in the gold medal match, Ward defeated Magomed Aripgadjiev of Belarus, 20–13.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:32 am 
Heavyweight

Former WBA world featherweight champion Carl Frampton (23-1, 14 KOs) would want to face WBO titlist Oscar Valdez (23-0, 19 KOs) because he is planning to be back as a world titleholder. Frampton lost to Mexican Leo Santa Cruz and his title in January. He commented on Twitter on Monday, Frampton responded: "Fun fight if it ever happens". Valdez defended his title Friday night by unanimous decision over Genesis Servania in Tucson, Arizona but not after the Mexican champ went down for the first time in his career.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:33 am 
Heavyweight

Top Rank CEO Bob Arum said: "We're going to try to get Frampton. We would do it next year, and we would put it maybe someplace in Texas or maybe Las Vegas. Frampton would probably object to coming to Tucson, but we can find a place to do that fight. It's a great fight." The featherweight division is loaded with deadly world champions in Leo Santa Cruz (WBA), Oscar Valdez (WBO), Lee Selby (IBF) and Gary Russell Jr (WBC).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:34 am 
Heavyweight

Boxing was considered too brutal to be included at the first modern Olympics in 1896 in Athens, but it was competed as a demonstration sport in 1904 in St. Louis and then finally joined as a medal sport in 1908 in London. Boxing was excluded once again in 1912 in Stockholm because boxing was banned in Sweden. Boxing was permanently held as an Olympic sport in 1920 in Antwerp. Since then it has produced some of the most popular champions in Olympic history like Cassius Clay, George Foreman, Oscar De La Hoya and Teofilo Stevenson.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4058 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 267, 268, 269, 270, 271