Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:56 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 278, 279, 280, 281, 282, 283, 284 ... 374  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:10 pm 
Heavyweight

Both Khan and Brook have rebounded from big-time knockouts - by Canelo Alvarez and Golovkin respectively and in Brook's case Spence also - with handy wins against weaker opponents. Brook is lined up for an eliminator against little-known Canadian Brandon Cook at London's O2 Arena on July 28, which he should win without too much trouble.

But they would be underdogs against Crawford and Hurd and heavy defeat for either - let alone both - would drastically reduce the market value of the Battle of Britain between them which has long been their destiny.

Sometimes richer is the better part of valour. 

Heavyweight

David Haye gave British boxing a helluva ride as he unified the world cruiserweight title and went on to become world heavyweight champion.

As charismatic as he was talented, as provocative as he was punch-powerful, the handsome Hayemaker had the wow and the kerpow factors.

Haye was teased about claiming that a swollen toe caused defeat in his biggest fight of all, against Wladimir Klitschko.

Heavyweight

But that was just one small symptom of a body which was about to break down. In addition to hand, shoulder, bicep, eye and achilles injuries, he has revealed upon his retirement that at one point he needed invasive spinal surgery.

It was a mark of another of his qualities, courage, that he kept going long enough physically to make two brave fights of it against Tony Bellew before finally hanging up the gloves.

All the controversies aside, he left his mark on ring history as only the second cruiserweight champion after Evander Holyfield to win the world heavyweight title.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:13 pm 
Heavyweight

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:13 pm 
Heavyweight

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:23 am 
Heavyweight

Oscar De La Hoya Paid GGG Millions of 'My Own Money' to Save Canelo Rematch

TMZ SPORTS -- Oscar De La Hoya says he was so serious about saving the GGG vs. Canelo rematch, he shelled out millions of dollars of his own money to get the deal done. 

Remember, Oscar -- Canelo's promoter -- previously said Gennady Golovkin wanted a 50/50 revenue split with Canelo or he would NOT accept the fight.

Oscar came on the "TMZ Sports" TV show and we asked what it finally took to get the deal done -- and the Golden Boy told us it came down to writing a big, fat check. 

"I actually came out with my own money to bridge the gap and make this fight happen," Oscar says. 

"GGG wanted a bigger piece of the pie. It was a matter of a few million dollars. I couldn't get it from Canelo's side because he was gonna stick to his guns ... so I had to come up with the difference." 

Good thing he's rich. 

Read more:http://www.tmz.com/2018/06/19/oscar-de-la-hoya-canelo-alvarez-gennady-golovkin-rematch-money/ 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:23 am 
Heavyweight

DETROIT (June 19, 2018) – Unified Women’s Super Middleweight World Champion Claressa Shields and unified 154-pound champion Hanna Gabriels spoke to the media at a workout session in Detroit just days before the two clash to decide the IBF & WBA Women’s Middleweight World Championships this Friday on SHOWTIME.

SHOWTIME BOXING: SPECIAL EDITION telecast begins at 10 p.m. ET/PT and features the No. 1 fighter at 168 pounds facing the No. 1 fighter at 154 pounds as they both attempt to become champions for the first time in the middleweight division. The telecast also features unified women’s middleweight champion Christina Hammer defending her WBC & WBO titles in her U.S. debut against former world champion Tori Nelson. Also, light heavyweight prospects Umar Salamov and Brian Howard will meet in a 10-round matchup that will open the tripleheader from Masonic Temple in Detroit.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:27 am 
Heavyweight

Uncasville, CT (June 19, 2018) – Many of New England’s best and most promising boxers will be in action JUNE 30 on the “SLUGFEST AT THE SUN” card, presented by JOE DEGUARDIA’S STAR BOXING, at Mohegan Sun Area in Uncasville, Connecticut.

“SLUGFEST at the SUN” featuring JOE SMITH JR.

The “Common Man,” Long Island light heavyweight JOE SMITH, JR. (23-2, 19 KOs), returns to the ring after being inactive the past 11 months recovering from a broken jaw. The popular Irish-American will face MELVIN “THE ROMANTIC REDNECK” RUSSELL (11-4-2, 7 KOs) in the 10-round main event.

Smith burst onto the boxing scene in 2016 when he defeated, top rated light heavyweight, Andrzej Fonfara on NBC in Chicago, and again later that year, when he knocked living legend Bernard Hopkins clear out of the ring, becoming the first person to ever KO the former multi-division world champion and future Hall of Famer.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:27 am 
Heavyweight

JOE DEGUARDIA, CEO of Star Boxing had this to say about June 30th, “We are thrilled to be up in New England for this sensational show at Mohegan Sun on June 30th that will be filled with local favorites and headlined by an international favorite (Joe Smith Jr). Boxing history is full of exciting fighters from New England and on June 30th fans will be treated to local fighters aiming to continue a rich tradition of tough New Englanders.”

In the eight-round co-featured event, two-time middleweight champion (pictured to left) KALI “KO MEQUINONOAG” REIS (13-7-1, 4 KOs), fighting out of Cranston, RI, is coming off her eye-opening performance last month against undisputed women’s world welterweight champion and pound-4-pound Queen, 33-0 CECELIA BRAEKUS, in the first female bout ever featured on HBO. Reis floored Braekhus once, but she lost a 10-round decision. The former WBC and UBF World middleweight champion will meet former world title challenger PATTY “LA ELEGANTE” RAMIREZ (11-5, 5 KOs), of Mexico, on Aug. 30 at Mohegan Sun.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:33 am 
Heavyweight

Sanchez To Canelo: At Least Try To Knock Golovkin Out!

by Radio Rahim

Abel Sanchez, trainer of IBF, WBA, IBO middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin (38-0-1, 34 KOs), is hoping that Canelo Alvarez (49-1-2, 34 KOs) is as angry as he claims.

According to Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya, who promotes Canelo, his superstar fighter is furious with the middleweight champion and wants to blast him out.

The two boxers are scheduled to collide in a rematch on September 15th at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:33 am 
Heavyweight

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:34 am 
Heavyweight

They first met at the same Las Vegas venue in September of 2017, and their contest ended in a controversial twelve round split draw.

After the fight, Sanchez accused Canelo of running and says the Mexican superstar altered his style specifically to avoid a toe to toe battle with Golovkin.

Sanchez is hoping that Canelo comes "to fight" after GGG accused his rival of being a longime user of performance enhancing drugs.

"I think the group on the other side is mad enough that maybe they will put on the kind of fight that they promised the first time. At least try to knock Golovkin out, at least try to knock him out. If they do that, then at least they are in range to fight instead of run," Sanchez told BoxingScene.com.

In several past interview, Canelo rejected any claims that he ran from Golovkin - and indicates that he was outboxing the bigger man.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:34 am 
Heavyweight

But if that was the case, Sanchez indicates that Canelo has a lot of explaining to do.

"When he fought Lara, he said that Lara ran. When he fought Mayweather, he said that Mayweather ran. But when he fights Golovkin he says that it's boxing. So he needs to make up his mind which is which - and I think that if he fights the fight that he fought 44 or 45 fights before, I think we as fans are going to be treated to a great fight," Sanchez said.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:51 am 
Heavyweight

Carl Frampton Predicts a Very Bright Future For Michael Conlan

Two-weight world champion Carl Frampton believes Michael Conlan has what it takes to conquer the world and achieve global fame.

Frampton (25-1-KO14) has begun preparations for his dream fight at Windsor Park on August 18 but first the city of Belfast gears up to welcome home Conlan on June 30.

Former amateur world champion Conlan has wowed audiences Stateside since turning professional and ahead of his return to his and Frampton’s home city, ‘The Jackal’ is predicting a rosy future.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:51 am 
Heavyweight

Frampton said: “Michael Conlan has what it takes to be a worldwide superstar. I can’t wait to see him fight on June 30 and the undercard is phenomenal too.

“In the States he’s with Top Rank and Bob Arum and that man has promoted Muhammad Ali, Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao. We’re talking elite names here.

“People like Arum and Frank Warren really know what they’re doing. If Mick plays it right, he has potential to become not just a big name in Ireland but a big name globally.

“When you watch him you can tell he’s just a class act. He’a lovely boxer. He’s very highly skilled and there aren’t many fighters who can compete with him on how skilled he is.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 278, 279, 280, 281, 282, 283, 284 ... 374  Next