Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:26 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 283, 284, 285, 286, 287, 288, 289 ... 415  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:02 am 
Heavyweight

This bout will also mark the first time in 17 years that Freddie Roach will not be in Pacquiao's corner. Instead, Pacquiao tapped longtime friend Buboy Fernandez to handle his training. Pacquiao said training went fine.

"I got a tan because I've been training a lot outdoors in GenSan," he joked.

Pacquiao also thanked the Malaysian government for helping make the card, the first major boxing event in the country in 43 years, a reality.

He promised that several personalities will be flying in from all over the world to watch the fight on Sunday.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:17 am 
Heavyweight

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:14 pm 
Heavyweight

By Chris Williams: After a year out of the ring, 39-year-old Manny Pacquiao is facing WBA ‘regular’ welterweight champion Lucas Matthysse this Saturday night in a crucial fight for the aging Filipino star. The fight will go ahead despite having been rumored to be on the verge of not happening due to money not being there.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:16 pm 
Heavyweight

In his last fight, Manny Pacquiao was highly suspected for taking Jeff Horn lightly in his training for their WBO welterweight title fight in Brisbane last year. But it's just pure speculation according to his chief sparring partner George Kambosos.

Undefeated Australian lightweight fighter Kambosos was recruited to be Pacquiao's sparmate in the preparations for the fight with Horn, which resulted in a disputed unanimous decision. He says the 39-year-old eight division world champion actually over-trained for his title defense against Horn.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:17 pm 
Heavyweight

The 25-year-old Australian is part of two Pacquiao camps, the one against Horn one and the present one against Matthysee. He said Pacquiao trains a lot smarter now. "Justin Fortune is Manny's strength and conditioning coach, and he's my coach as well. He's a really big believer in rest and letting the body recover," he told Sporting News.

"We did overtrain for that fight. A lot of people in Australia said they weren't taking it seriously, but the big thing is that we overtrained. He left it in the gym, in sparring and on the road instead of bringing it to the ring."

Kambosos says Pacquiao's camp is committed not to make the same mistake again. He promised that the fans will see a very good Manny Pacquiao in this fight, and they have set him up for a very good victory.

Heavyweight

The Aussie lightweight standout said thslat if Pacquiao trained for Horn like he did today, he believes his cpubtryman would be stopped by the former pound-for-pound king. "If he did what he did in this camp for the Horn camp, I think he takes Horn out in six or eight rounds, but he's got Matthysse now and that's the full focus."

The Sydney-based boxer has sparred several rounds with Pacquiao in the two fight camps mentioned, and was appreciated by the boxing senator that Pacquiao included him in the Kuala Lumpur undercard. Kambosos will fight Filipino JR Magboo and believes his sparring was the best training for Pacquiao.

Heavyweight

He said his strength in sparring is his speed, head movement and good footwork. Comparing himself to Matthysse, he thinks he is 100 times faster than the WBA champ and a better mover.

"When you’re making sparring partners quit, and want to run out of the ring and say ‘nah I’m not getting back in there with that guy,’ you’re definitely 100% ready. If Manny can land some shots on me - and he does land a few, while I land a few shots on him too and if he sticks to the gameplan his new coach Buboy (Fernandez) and Justin Fortune have set for him, he's gonna hit Matthysse all night long," declares Kambosos.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:18 pm 
Heavyweight

Lucas Matthysse in 44 total fights, has 39 wins, 36 victories by KO, 4 losses and 1 no contest. On November 6, 2010 Matthysse lost a very disputed split decision against former world champion Zab Judah. Two judges scored the fight 114–113 for Judah, while the other judge scored it 114–113 for Matthysse.

He suffered another controversial split decision loss to former two-division champion Devon Alexander in a ten-rounder on June 25, 2011. The judges scored the fight 96-93 and 95-94 for Alexander and 96-93 for Matthysse.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:19 pm 
Heavyweight

He then faced unified light welterweight champion Danny García on September 14, 2013 in the undercard to the Floyd Mayweather vs. Saul "Canelo" Alvarez main event.

Matthysse was a heavy favorite against Garcia despite being the challenger. Matthysse incurred an injury to his right eye from Garcia's quick right hand, which the champ exploited. Garcia knocked him down in the 11th round, the first trip to the canvas for La Maquina. The judges gave Garcia a unanimous decision with the scores 115-111, 114-112 and 114-112.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:19 pm 
Heavyweight

On October 3, 2015, Matthysse again climbed the ring as the huge favorite to win over the undefeated Ukrainian Viktor Postol. But Postol's four-inch reach advantage took its toll on Matthysse and a counter right hand sent him down. He did not attempt to get up from the floor citing an injury in his eye. Matthysse then went inactive for a year-and-a-half after undergoing eye surgery.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:20 pm 
Heavyweight

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:14 am 
Heavyweight

De La Hoya says Matthysse may be the end for Pacquiao

By Chris Williams: Golden Boy Promotions head honcho Oscar De La Hoya says he thinks Manny Pacquiao’s 23-year pro career could be coming to an end this month when he challenges WBA World welterweight champion Lucas Matthysse (39-4, 36 KOs) on July 15 at the Axiata Arena in Kuala, Lumpur, Malaysia.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:15 am 
Heavyweight

De La Hoya confirms that the Pacquiao vs. Matthysse fight will be taking place on July 15. Pacquiao’s former promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank has doubts whether the fight will take place. De La Hoya says it will happen, and he sounds confident.

Pacquiao, 39, is coming off of a loss to Jeff Horn last year in July, and he’s been out of the ring for an entire 12-year pro career. Pacquiao (59-7-2, 38 KOs) looked terrible against Horn, and he’s not likely going to be any better against Matthysse. Pacquiao’s year out of the ring since the Horn fight is troubling because that’s not the type of preparation that you’d like to see from the Filipino star going into a fight against a devastating puncher like Matthysse.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:16 am 
Heavyweight

Pacquiao is no longer trained by Freddie Roach, and that’s definitely not a good thing because he’s been the brains for him during his career. Pacquiao is now trained by his former helper Buboy Fernandez. One can only guess what kind of simple game plan Fernandez has come up with for Pacquiao to defeat Matthysse. Pacquiao is likely going to go straight into the teeth of Matthysse’s offense in the same way he did against Juan Manuel Marquez in their fourth fight in 2012. Matthysse has a good chance of knocking Pacquiao out just like he did his last opponent Tewa Kiram last July.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:18 am 
Heavyweight

“For me, every legend has its end and I think that this fight with Matthysse may be the end of Pacquiao,” De La Hoya said to ESPN Deportes. Well, if Pacquiao loses by a knockout to Matthysse, it leaves him very little choice but to retire from boxing unless he wants to push for a rematch. I doubt that Matthysse is going to want to bother fighting Pacquiao a second time, as he’s going to have other options for nice paydays against the likes of Errol Spence Jr., Keith ‘One Time’ Thurman and the winner of the Shawn Porter vs. Danny Garcia. Pacquiao will need to get in line for a rematch with Matthysse if he loses to him on July 15, and that’s going to look pathetic in the eyes of a lot of boxing fans.

“ESPN is supposed to broadcast it (on US soil), I’m going to Malaysia on July 10 to be with Matthysse and Pacquiao, that fight is going to happen without any problem,” said De La Hoya.
It’s good that De La Hoya is saying the fight will be taking place, because this is important match for both guys. Pacquiao has no chance against the other top welterweights Keith Thurman, Spence and Terence Crawford. Matthysse is the only guy that Pacquiao has any chance of beating, and if he can’t do that, then it’s time to retire from boxing. If Pacquiao needs money, then of course he’ll have to keep fighting to bring in the cash, but hes going to need to be selective in the fights that he takes. The fans will stop watching Pacquiao if he keeps getting beaten and if takes a year off between each loss like he did after his loss to Horn.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 283, 284, 285, 286, 287, 288, 289 ... 415  Next