Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:22 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6481 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 420, 421, 422, 423, 424, 425, 426 ... 433  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:51 pm 
Heavyweight

“I don’t think Broner can take Manny’s power,” said Fortune. “(Marcos) Maidana put Broner down twice and Manny’s punch is way stronger than Madiana’s. Broner has a dog’s mentality. Once he gets hurt, he runs away. Broner’s basically a 1-2 puncher with little foot movement so he’s not hard to hit. He has a tendency to sit in the pocket. He likes to counter so he’ll wait for Manny to come in but he’ll engage. I’ve always believed that speed on power is devastating and that’s what Manny has. If Manny puts his mind to it, he’ll knock out Broner just like what he did to (Lucas) Matthysse.” 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:52 pm 
Heavyweight

“My father used to tell me that he was whooping my azz because he loves me. And because I love Tyson Fury he must get his azz beat. I want a rematch A.S.A.P.”  

— Deontay Wilder, WBC heavyweight champion during an media conference call on Tuesday

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:19 pm 
Heavyweight

“I don’t feel anything about Joshua. They lead me on for months; nobody’s talking about him and I plan on keeping it that way,” Wilder dropped. “Their ego got the best of them, so he can continue to go on fighting second tier fighters.” 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:24 pm 
Heavyweight

Lineal heavyweight champion Tyson Fury’s father, John, expressed a positivity in the wake of his son’s draw with WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder.  “Let me say, first of all, that’s the best effort you’ll see from anybody in any field of sport. What an effort. What a display of courage and heart. Yes, he got a draw, but let me say that when I seen my son get knocked down heavily like he did, I’d have settled for the draw, then. So all things happen for reasons,” said John Fury, during an interview with British Boxing Television.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:43 pm 
Heavyweight

Vasyl Lomachenko said, “I’ve had a great camp and I’m excited to be back at my favourite my place to box, Madison Square Garden.
“I’m looking forward to Saturday night, I am excited for a great fight and I am 100% and ready to go.”

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:13 pm 
Heavyweight

Five of the fighters appearing on UNDISPUTED worked out for the media today in Los Angeles ahead of this Saturday’s world championship boxing event at the StubHub Center in Carson, CA and televised live on HBO Boxing After Dark beginning at 10:20 p.m. ET/PT.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:32 am 
Heavyweight

Unbeaten junior welterweight prospect Carlos Sanchez will face his toughest test to date on paper when he faces gatekeeper Jesus Cruz Bibiano.

The six-round bout will take place at the Industry Hills Expo Center in the Los Angeles suburb of La Puente.

Sanchez (17-0, 16 knockouts) has put together an unbeaten record over modest opposition since turning pro almost three years ago. The 23-year-old from San Felipe, Mexico is managed by Cameron Dunkin.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:34 am 
Heavyweight

TYSON FURY woke up the heavyweight division last weekend - he should have woken up on Sunday as the WBC World Heavyweight Champion too.

The whole country was going crazy over the draw with Deontay Wilder - which was the wrong decision – and the rematch will be even bigger.

There were nearly 18,000 supporters in LA’s Staples Center and more than half of them were cheering on the Brit.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:02 am 
Heavyweight

Vasiliy Lomachenko is the CompuBox plus/minus leader with a +17.3 rating. (Plus/Minus determined by subtracting opponents connect pct. (18.4%) from listed fighters connect pct. (35.7%).

His 7.8 landed jabs per round ranks #3 and is nearly double the lightweight avg. Loma landed 47.7% of his power shots,11.6% higher than the lightweight avg., while opponents landed just 18.4% of their total punches (#2 among leaders and just 1.2% from #1 and just 8.8 per round, half the lightweight avg.).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:03 am 
Heavyweight

Vasyl Lomachenko

Title: WBA/Ring lightweight (2018-Present, 1stAttempted Defense)

Previous Titles: WBO featherweight (2014-16, 3 Defenses); WBO super featherweight (2016-18, 4 Defenses)

Height: 5’7

Weight: 134 ¼ lbs.

Stance:Southpaw

Hails from: Bilhorod-Dnistrovskyi, Ukraine

Record: 11-1, 9 KO (17-1, 9 KO including World Series of Boxing Contests)?

Press Rankings: #1 (TBRB, ESPN, Boxing Monthly, BoxRec)

Record in Major Title Fights: 10-1, 8 KO

Last Five Opponents: 122-6-5 (.936)

Current/Former World Champions/Titlists Faced: Orlando Salido L12; Gary Russell Jr. MD12; Roman Martinez KO5; Nicholas Walters RTD7; Jason Sosa RTD9 (secondary WBA titlist); Guillermo Rigondeuax RTD6; Jorge Linares TKO10

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:03 am 
Heavyweight

Jose Pedraza

Title: WBO lightweight (2018-Present, 1stAttempted Defense)

Previous Titles: IBF super featherweight (2015-17, 2 Defenses)

Height: 5’8 ½ 

Weight: 134 ¼ lbs.

Stance: Orthodox

Hails from: Caguas, Puerto Rico

Record: 25-1, 12 KO, 1 KOBY

Press Rankings: #3 (TBRB, Ring), #4 (BoxRec, Boxing Monthly), #5 (ESPN)

Record in Major Title Fights: 4-1, 1 KOBY

Last Five Opponents: 120-21-1 (.849)

Current/Former World Champions/Titlists Faced: Tevin Farmer TKO8; Gervonta Davis TKO by 7; Raymundo Beltran UD12

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:32 am 
Heavyweight

Cecilia Braekhus should not be anywhere near the criticism of tonight’s last HBO telecast. In fact, she should be praised for being the exceptional undisputed world champion that she is.

Braekhus has dominated a weight division, united all the world title belts, and has overcome adversity in the ring. Is that not what boxing fans want out of those who hold belts around their waist?

Braekhus will again defend her undisputed welterweight championship tonight against Aleksandra Magdziak Lopes at StubHub Center in Carson, California.

Braekhus last fought on July 21, defeating previously unbeaten Inna Sagaydakovskaya by unanimous decision in Moscow.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:34 am 
Heavyweight

Tony Harrison watched from his home in Detroit, Michigan on Saturday night as IBF/IBO/WBA 154-pound champion Jarrett Hurd stopped of Jason Welborn in the fourth round at The Staples Center in Los Angeles before WBC counterpart Jermell Charlo entered the ring and disrupted “Swift’s” post-fight interview by challenging him to a Spring unification bout.

Hurd (23-0,16 KOs), in turn, vows to be ringside on December 22 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York, where Jermell Charlo (31-0, 15 KOs) pursues his fourth defense and fifth knockout in six fights against Harrison (27-2, 21 KOs), and Charlo’s older-by-a-minute twin sibling, Jermall (27-0, 21 KOs), his initial defense and fourth straight stoppage against left-handed two-time title challenger Willie Monroe (23-3, 6 KOs).

“If I had gone to Hurd's fight it would have been a fiasco because I would have jumped into the ring with Hurd and Charlo, also. I would have stopped Charlo and said, ‘Look, homie, you’ve got something else to worry about,’” said Harrison, whom Hurd vanquished by title-winning ninth-round TKO in February 2017.

“But I watched it at the house and I was training for Charlo the very next day. I’m going to throw the biggest monkey wrench in the world into their plans. It’s another source of motivation, but I really didn’t need any more motivation than I already have. Other than that, everything is covered on my end, so I don’t even think too much about it.”

Heavyweight

Heavyweight

Lomachenko is as complete a fighter as there is currently in boxing. The multiple time Olympic champion shows the pedigree of that foundation in his timing, footwork, and combination punching. As he has grown accustomed to the paid ranks, he’s also added a power dimension to his game, sitting down with authority on his shots. After the Linares win in what was a fantastic two way display of technical prowess, we also know he can get up. Lomachenko was boxing well when Linares planted him on the floor in the sixth. Most top talents eventually taste the deck. What they do when that happens tells the audience something extra about them. In Lomachenko’s case, he rose and found a way to stop Linares. Against Pedraza, there will be less power to contend with but the Puerto Rican must still be respected. Lomachenko has the speed, footwork, and elusiveness to box all night against the slower footed Pedraza. Will the temptation to test his repaired shoulder push him into more dangerous positions? This feels like a fight where Lomachenko might have to create Pedraza’s chances with his own approach.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6481 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 420, 421, 422, 423, 424, 425, 426 ... 433  Next