Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:10 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 435, 436, 437, 438, 439, 440, 441 ... 482  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:08 pm 
Heavyweight

In the early rounds, Pacquiao came out firing, charging at Broner again and again with jabs and flurries to the body. Pacquiao snapped out over 70 jabs in the first three rounds, cruising to easy wins as he avoided Broner's rare attempts at counters. The man from Cincinnati they call "The Problem" bounced back in the fourth round, landing his best shots of the fight on the counter, but he just couldn't land consistently.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:09 pm 
Heavyweight

Pacquiao surged in the middle rounds, landing a big left to the body in the fifth round, then taking over in the seventh. He rocked Broner on multiple occasions, and had him in trouble against the ropes, but wasn't able to get him out of there. Then in the ninth, Pacquiao found success again with his left hand, crushing Broner with a stiff shot right to his face. 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:09 pm 
Heavyweight

"I beat him," Broner proclaimed to loud jeers from the crowd. "Everybody out there know I beat him. I controlled the fight. He was missing. I hit him more times. I beat him." Broner did not, in fact, hit Pacquiao more times; the Filipino champion outlanded him 112-50. 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:14 am 
Heavyweight

Matchroom Boxing’s Eddie Hearn recently announced that he is finalizing a card to feature Rungvisai against Estrada and Yafai against Nietes with the winners of both matches advancing to unify the WBO, WBA and WBC titles. Hearn has a tie-up with DAZN (Da-Zone), a subscription video streaming service for live and on-demand events. DAZN will make streaming available for 32 cards that Hearn is prepared to showcase in a year. Of the 32, 16 are earmarked for the US. The deal is for two years, renewable for another six with a total budget of $1 Billion. Rungvisai and Yafai are managed by Hearn.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:15 am 
Heavyweight

Jose Ramirez was faced with the toughest test of his career. Jose “Chon” Zepeda was slick, slippery, and would not give in. But it was a late rally in the championship rounds that pushed Ramirez (24-0, 16 KOs) to a majority decision victory as he retained his WBC super lightweight title for the second time in front of 14,034 screaming fans at the Save Mart Center.

The scores were 114-114, 115-113, and 116-112, as Ramirez won the 12th round on all three judges’ scorecards to clinch the victory.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:47 pm 
Heavyweight

THE International Boxing Association (AIBA) have announced that female boxers will be allowed wear sport hijabs in the ring.

The announcement was made following an AIBA Executive meeting in Istanbul last weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:48 pm 
Heavyweight

The AIBA has also changed their rules to allow National Federations protest controversial decisions.

National Federations were not allowed protest decisions at Rio 2016 where Michael Conlan was controversially beaten by Vladimir Nikitin.

That result and other controversial verdicts at the 31st Olympiad led to all 36 referees and judges in Rio being indefinitely banned.

The AIBA released a statement following the Istanbul meeting stating that women would be allowed to wear a sports hijabs “should they want to due to religious reasons.”

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:49 pm 
Heavyweight

The International Olympic Committee has begun an inquiry into the AIBA because of concerns about governance, anti-Doping, referee and judging and the election of Gafur Rakhimov as AIBA President.

Rakhimov has been linked to organised crime by the US Department of the Treasury. He denies any criminality.

The IOC inquiry is expected to be completed in June. Thomas Bach, President of the IOC, has reassured boxers that boxing will feature at Tokyo 2020.

However, there has been increased speculation that the AIBA will not be running the tournament.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:32 pm 
Heavyweight

Santa Cruz Sad For Mares; Would Quit For Family If It Were Him

By Keith Idec

Leo Santa Cruz and Abner Mares share a respect that’s both unique and unwavering among boxers who’ve spent 24 rounds trying to take one another out.

That’s what made it so difficult for Santa Cruz when he learned during his recently completed training camp that Mares had suffered another detached retina. Mares sustained this career-threatening eye injury while sparring three weeks ago to prepare for what was to be a “Showtime Championship Boxing” main event last Saturday night against unbeaten 130-pound champion Gervonta Davis in Carson, California.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:34 pm 
Heavyweight

As Mares recovers, the former three-division champion is faced with the grating reality that he might never fight again. Santa Cruz realizes just how hurtful that is for Mares, who revealed during an episode of FOX’s “Inside PBC Boxing” on February 3 that the real reason he withdrew from the Davis fight the previous week was because of a detached retina in his right eye.

Mares admitted during that interview that he initially claimed a far less serious elbow injury was the reason he pulled out of the Davis bout because he was fearful fans and media would assume his career is over if they knew he has a second detached retina.

Mares remains on Santa Cruz’s mind as the WBA super world featherweight champion prepares for his “Premier Boxing Champions on FOX” main event Saturday night against Mexico’s Rafael Rivera (26-2-2, 17 KOs, 1 NC) at Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles (8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:11 pm 
Heavyweight

Mayweather Says Another Exhibition Being Lined Up For July
Former five division world champion Floyd Mayweather is gearing up for another trip to Japan in the summer.

According to Mayweather, he plans to take part in another exhibition bout.

The 42-year-old former boxer traveled to Japan on New Year's Eve, and knocked out undefeated kickboxer Tenshin Nasukawa in a single round. Nasukawa was grossly undersized and was dropped three times before the contest was waved off.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:54 am 
Heavyweight

Last Saturday night, Mayweather told reporters that he brokered a deal where his undefeated pupil, WBA super featherweight champion Gervonta Davis, would travel over to Japan in April for an exhibition with Nasukawa.

Mayweather expects to take part in several exhibitions before the year is over.

"They called me, I got another one in Japan, in July... for like $10 million, three rounds. I got another one in July, same rules, always my rules. It's a Japanese boxer, a former boxer from what I heard, I got a call today. In exhibitions this year alone, I think I got about 4 or 5 exhibitions this year... I'll make about $80 million, this year," Mayweather told TMZ.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:56 am 
Heavyweight

Brandon Rios Expects Very Tough Fight With Humberto Soto
BAM BAM BRANDON RIOS faces the tough HUMBERTO "ZORRITA" SOTO February 23, 2019 LIVE on DAZN on their first show in Mexico from AUDITORIO MUNICIPAL in TIJUANA, MEXICO. Rios finished camp strong and expects a war against Soto next Saturday in Tijuana, Mexico.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:57 am 
Heavyweight

" I had a really good training camp in Oxnard and at RGBA in Riverside. My trainer Robert (Garcia) always has good sparring here. They make me give my best. My weight cut has gone smooth thanks to my wife, travel back and forth from Oxnard to Riverside hasn't been too rough. I really have a great team." - Brandon Rios

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:57 am 
Heavyweight

" Winning this fight means a lot to me so I'm going out there to win, I'm ranked #20 right now by the WBC, I want to work my way up the rankings again and hopefully get that title shot once again." - Brandon Rios

" Soto is no walk in the park, I know he is coming with a winning mentality like me. We were supposed to fight at 135 lbs. but that never happened. Now here we are at 147 lbs. Let's finish this once and for all!" - Brandon Rios

" Even though Soto will be in his own country, I have a lot of Mexican fans, my dad was born in Chihuahua, Mexico and LA is just a couple hours away so I hope to see my fans, TEAM RIOS there supporting." - Brandon Rios

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 435, 436, 437, 438, 439, 440, 441 ... 482  Next